T.O. Sounds Off on the Bills/Buffalo

May Day 10

http://www.wgr550.com/T-O--Shocked-Bills-Went-With-Trent--Glows-About-Bu/8595599

a lot of very interesting insight.

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- The media at One Bills Drive knew we were in for a treat when we saw that Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver and former Buffalo Bills player Terrell Owens would be on a conference call during Media Day.

Right off the bat, Owens did not disappoint.

"What's happening guys? Go Bills!"

And it started. The tenor of the conversation was one of reflection for Owens. He'd been given an opportunity in Buffalo to reclaim his career, and then moved on this season to Cincinnati when the Bills told him they were moving in another direction.

The Bengals wideout was asked whether or not he was surprised that Ryan Fitzpatrick had beaten out Trent Edwards for the starting quarterback job just two weeks in to the season.

What Owens went on to say was an indication of the lack of chemistry Edwards had with his receivers.

"It was just going to be a matter of time. I was shocked at the beginning of the season that Trent was still named the starter and what have you," said Owens. "I think that coaching staff, they kind of recognized that he wasn't at the level that they needed him to be. Obviously with Fitzpatrick and his history and background, again, I knew the guy could play all along. I'm not surprised by any means."

"He's doing a great job and it wasn't until really, when I was there last year that when he got the chance to start and be a quarterback, that I was able to do some of the things to be productive in the offense. I like that chemistry, I like Fitz's demeanor, I like his confidence. He has that type of, you don't really see it, that swagger about him when he's out there on the football field."

The compliments for Fitzpatrick didn't stop there. Owens then threw in a complimentary quip towards the way of the Bills quarterback.

"For a white guy, you know, he can run, too!"

Owens and Fitzpatrick clicked right from the start. So much so that Fitzpatrick gave a personal recommendation for Owens to Bengals Head Coach Marvin Lewis about bringing in the wide receiver. Then once he was signed T.O. recalled a time when the Bengals traveled to Buffalo during this year's preseason.

"I do remember preseason there in Buffalo and I went to the Chophouse, and I walked in and there I see Carson [Palmer], his brother Jordan, Trent Edwards and Fitzpatrick sitting at the table," remarked Owens. "So I end up talking to Fitzy and he said that he gave Carson a little bit of advice. He said 'Hey, when you see this guy run just throw it long -- He'll go get it.'"

more following the quote regarding Fitz/TO and the city of Buffalo

Good article.

Though I do understand the movement away from Owens, he was productive for us and made Evans look pedestrian.

For such an outspoken and opinionated @$$ as T.O. has proven during his career, this was a pretty classy piece. He could have easily torn the City a new one, but didn't. That's a surprise.

But I have to say that I love the Edwards bashing from a professional.

He said he 'gets it'... and honestly if push came to shove, he would probably say he would prefer not to play for Buffalo at this point. Its just more diplomatic for him to push it onto the team's decision.

it serves the team much better to get the ball to Parrish, Nelson, S Johnson, Jones, etc...

I do like TO, and always did like him even through his time with SF, the Eagles, and the Cowboys. Even through his disappointing season with the Bills. I really hope he gets a Superbowl victory at some point, if for nothing else but for being so gracious about his time in Buffalo...

He said he 'gets it'... and honestly if push came to shove, he would probably say he would prefer not to play for Buffalo at this point. Its just more diplomatic for him to push it onto the team's decision.

it serves the team much better to get the ball to Parrish, Nelson, S Johnson, Jones, etc...

I do like TO, and always did like him even through his time with SF, the Eagles, and the Cowboys. Even through his disappointing season with the Bills. I really hope he gets a Superbowl victory at some point, if for nothing else but for being so gracious about his time in Buffalo...

With you on this. I was never a big TO fan especially after his Philly and Dallas antics. But he really impressed me during his short time with the Bills. I think if we were a winning team with a solid QB he could have made a real home in Buffalo. Small town kid comes back to small town to finish out his career kinda thing. Would have been a great story.

The timing just wasn't right. I wish him all the best. The guy cared about football, team and winning.

C

The guy cared about football, team and winning.

C

hmmm . . . interesting you have that opinion

I would agree with you on winning.

T.O. had way too many drops on a 2009 Bills team that barely threw the ball.

T.O.'s 9 dropped passes over the Bills 441 total passes represents 2% of the total Bills Pass attempts that were dropped by T.O last year.

T.O. Already has 9 dropped passes in 2010.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=nfl&type=receiving&rank=232

I would have pulled out my hair had T.O. been playing in 2010 for the Bills.

I do appreciate his apparent honesty in the interview, I see no reason he would make any of that up.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

I think T.O. is authentic with his words - whether we agree with him or not, he says what he means. But, perhaps some of the graciousness stems from the realizization that he doesn't have very many bridges left. How long is his Cincinnati contract?

It's nice to hear he was somewhat gracious. It's a measure of how pathetically low our expectations are that when a one year wide out doesn't bash us or our city, some want to wax poetic about what could have been had he stayed a Bill.

It was a win- win, but only for Brandon and T.O. Brandon got asses in the seats and a distraction from his hideous tenure as GM while T.O. Got to play the humble good guy and get paid last year and now with Cinci.

RTB

The irony in this is last season when he made some subtle hints about Edwards lack of knowledge of the offense and lack of chemistry with his team, he was called 'classless' by some. He was right. Edwards was a disaster on this team and it's becoming clearer and clearer that he lacked any leadership qualities or any bond with his receivers.

I'll always remember TO's quote from this time last year. TO what are you thankful for? "Ryan Fitzpatrick!"

And so is the rest of Bills nation. The season sucks but at least we know he's a pure gamer. I wish you could bottle up that swagger and make our next QB drink it.

Yeah. It really sounds like TO doesnt think much of Edwards at all, but loves Fitz. Doesnt sound like sour grapes or excuses either.

Unfortunately, the ownership dictated to Chan & company that Edwards would get another shot. It was clear to many that Edwards was a bust....I believe this was Ralph Wilson meddling. I respect Mr Wilson for the 50 years of football he has brought to Buffalo, but he was hobbying here, and disenchanfranchasied Chan on who was #1. Only difference was that Chan dumped Edwards after two games...took Dick Jaraun half the season last year to figure it out.

Unfortunately, the ownership dictated to Chan & company that Edwards would get another shot. It was clear to many that Edwards was a bust....I believe this was Ralph Wilson meddling. I respect Mr Wilson for the 50 years of football he has brought to Buffalo, but he was hobbying here, and disenchanfranchasied Chan on who was #1. Only difference was that Chan dumped Edwards after two games...took Dick Jaraun half the season last year to figure it out.

Actually it cost Jauron his job. I believe it was Fewell that pulled the plug on Trentative and started Fitzy instead. And the results spoke volumes.

The irony in this is last season when he made some subtle hints about Edwards lack of knowledge of the offense and lack of chemistry with his team, he was called 'classless' by some. He was right. Edwards was a disaster on this team and it's becoming clearer and clearer that he lacked any leadership qualities or any bond with his receivers.

I'll always remember TO's quote from this time last year. TO what are you thankful for? "Ryan Fitzpatrick!"

And so is the rest of Bills nation. The season sucks but at least we know he's a pure gamer. I wish you could bottle up that swagger and make our next QB drink it.

Becoming clearer and clearer that Edwards lacked leadership qualiities? Where have you been the last two years???? Maybe you were in denial to what the clued in fans were telling you every day that he was a ball-less, passionless loser who didn't even like the game of football. For two freaking years we were saying that. Often getting flamed for doing so.

As for Fitzpatrick, he IS our next QB. It's about time that you guys who are behind the curve, not have to wait two years before getting clued in again.

Edited by 1billsfan

Terrible Odor can kiss my gritts

What Owens went on to say was an indication of the lack of chemistry Edwards had with his receivers

Really now.. :bag: Kettle meet Pot - Who was run out of towm in nmeerous cities because of a lack of chemistry with his starting QB?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever