CJ Spiller calling Ricky Sapp a...

WordByrd

More than a poor choice of words it was a poor choice of communication medium. If they just called each other nobody would be the wiser about their conversation. The problem is almost everything said now is out on the public domain. So these guys need to be a little more aware of what they say and where they say it.

Along with that we as a society have become overly sensitive about everything. It might come as a revelation to a lot of folks but you don't have to like and approve of everything other people do or say. All I ever hear lately is somebody crying the blues about being 'offended'. I get offended too but I just deal with it, move on and don't make a felony case out of what somebody might say or do that has absolutely nothing to do with me personnally.

What I find most puzzling about all the PC police is how they preach constantly about diversity and tolerance but then they turn out to be the most intolerant of others. Their objective is to control everyone's thoughts and actions vs. truly being respectful and diverse.

People on this board might agree or disagree with me, but that's just the way things go.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is his free lesson about life under the spotlight. Hopefully if he is suspended it coincides with him hammy injury.

I have no problem with the banter as it's surely not signifying prejudice, just buddies jawing, but these instant celebrity football players need to be coached up that someone always finds a way to be offended by something that has nothing to do with them and if they choose to Tweet allowing even more access to their lives, they need to filter their interactions.

There are a few terms that the mainstream has made untouchable, which means merely their use, irrespective of intent, is grounds for automatic popular indictment.

Chris Rock taught us that billiards is prejudice.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Like many PC thughs you need to expand your world view. There are many words with many meanings and different contexts. jboy's was combining a South Park episode with Big Ben's well documented enjoyment of motorcycles

South Park Season 13 Episode 12The F Word

ESPN Article from 2006 regarding Big Ben's motorcycle accident

What's a PC thugh?

In any case, official sign that the Apocalypse is upon us --- using "South Park" to justify our behavior!!!

However, you defend it, or South Park parodies it, hate speech is hate speech. It puts people down and keeps them down. It rationalizes and justifies our hurtful behaviors.

I'm pretty sure CJ and jboy won't melt because I speak out against their use of words. I'm also pretty sure that speaking up doesn't make me a thugh . . .

Well played! We all make mistakes. I appreciate it when these guys get it, fix it, and move on.

This would be a bigger story if anyone outside this region cared about CJ Spiller. He's completely irrelevant in the NFL, so no one cares.

No one cares on this board because it is filled with racists and bigots, but then again most Bills fans are a little bigoted in some way.

It seems like they're joking, but CJ just called Ricky Sapp (former Clemson teammate) a fag on Twitter. I expect a little better judgement from our boy.

It's nearly as offensive as you calling a young black man, "our boy."

This would be a bigger story if anyone outside this region cared about CJ Spiller. He's completely irrelevant in the NFL, so no one cares.

No one cares on this board because it is filled with racists and bigots, but then again most Bills fans are a little bigoted in some way.

Not to paint with too broad of a brush . . .

This seems to be stretching it a bit. "Boy" has some hateful history so I see where you're going, but "our boy" is a term of endearment and family. It's a phrase of community not divisiveness.

I think the "PC Police" Police are going to to have thoughts for this.

Not to paint with too broad of a brush . . .

This seems to be stretching it a bit. "Boy" has some hateful history so I see where you're going, but "our boy" is a term of endearment and family. It's a phrase of community not divisiveness.

I think the "PC Police" Police are going to to have thoughts for this.

Thanks for helping to make my point.

I wasn't really offended by the term "boy," in this context.

Just like I didn't find what Spiller did to be offensive. Was it stupid for him to do? - YES. But it's not like he went on Twitter and posted something like, "I hate fags," or, "Elton John is just a fag."

He was kidding around with his buddy. He's what ... 22-years-old? Come on, people ... lighten up and consider the context.

When someone does something off the field to earn public discontent, it doesn't matter if their position is "water cooler guard" on the worst team in the league. Its true that we'd be hearing about this for weeks if Brett Favre said it, but the clear lack of malintent and speedy apology plays more of a role in keeping this out of the media. This is a half-step above a non-issue.

After reading many of your posts, I have a hard time telling if you're of the mindset that you're somehow better than most of the people you encounter in life, or if you just enjoy being the center of attention.

one of the dumbest threads i've ever seen on this board. get a !@#$ing grip people. unless he's saying something derogatory about gay people, who. the. !@#$. cares.

Sorry for reporting a story pertaining to our team. Maybe you should look in the mirror for the idiot. There's no excuse for using a derogatory slur. You sound like an ignorant piece of trash for trying to rationalize the use of the word. Let me guess, white male?

How old are you? I'm guessing pretty damn old, because in popular culture, any guy you like is your boy. Sounds like someone is sheltered from popular culture.

If this thread has done anything, it's proven how many racist, bigot, sheltered ignoramuses there are on this board. I know that Western New York isn't very diverse, but OPEN YOUR EYES people. Living a life of hate is nothing to be proud of.

I could care less why is this a story. Everyone in America has used the term. get over it !

Didn't your mother ever teach you, "two wrongs don't make a right"?

Ignorance at it's finest, TWO BILLS DRIVE!

Finally, for the record, I do not think that Spiller had any bad intentions or hatred toward homosexuals using this word. I was just trying to report a story to you guys that related to the team. If I didn't post it, someone else would have. It's disgraceful that this word has become popular in our culture, but I'm sure CJ didn't mean it in a hateful way.

one of the dumbest threads i've ever seen on this board. get a !@#$ing grip people. unless he's saying something derogatory about gay people, who. the. !@#$. cares.

Except for the fact that the term itself and it's usage IS derogatory towards gay people ... but don't let a little thing like logic get in the way of your own argument.

Thanks for helping to make my point.

I wasn't really offended by the term "boy," in this context.

Just like I didn't find what Spiller did to be offensive. Was it stupid for him to do? - YES. But it's not like he went on Twitter and posted something like, "I hate fags," or, "Elton John is just a fag."

He was kidding around with his buddy. He's what ... 22-years-old? Come on, people ... lighten up and consider the context.

I'm not making your point. CJ, and let's give him credit for not meaning ill, used a term that ONLY has offensive value in our culture. It's not a cigarette, it's not a bundle of sticks, it's a slur that minimizes people of a certain group. It's easy to ignore it if you want. That's fine. The problem is that we culturally ignore mistreatment of others. He was smart enough and brave enough to try to correct it and apologize for it. Why are you defending it? There is no "proper" context for this -- kids around the country are being beaten and bullied and dieing because we try to say our casual mistreatment of others is really just water cooler chat that means no harm.

Of course, the word is derogatory -- it's nothing but. It says you're "less" when it's used in any way.

This thread is gay.

Not funny. Not clever. Not right.