Keep an Open Mind

JESSEFEFFER

If Andrew Luck was in the NFL and had Fitz's current stats everyone would declare it was proof that he was a stud. But since it's a 7th round journeyman from Harvard everyone says he has to be replaced. It's the "expensive bottle of wine" theory. A $100 bottle of wine is always better than a $10 bottle, even if it isn't better.

PTR

Great reply & analogy Promo !!!!!! Maybe that's why i've liked you since i was a kid ??

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been really hard on Fitz and i am still going to be. Though he has been showing me a lot and i have lightened up some, but i want to see more. I need to see him take the ball and score in the fial 2 min. I need to see if he has that it facotr. What that it is, i dont know. BUT you can just look around the league and see guys who have that it thing. (Rivers, Rodgers, Manning, Brady)

These QB's just know how to win, and thats one thing I am afraid of is that Fitz right now does not know how to win. You cant dismiss the fact he has never been on a really good team.

I almost see him as a Frank Reich kind of guy. Has all the smarts and football knowledge in the world, but just lacks something that i cannot quite put my finger on. Fitz would make an outsanding QB coach or Coordinator.

Dude, W...T...F? Down 10, forces 0T against Baltimore, scores a late TD against KC to force OT, scores a TD in the closing minute of the first half to knot the score with Chicago/get the ball back after the half.

I suppose you still need to see Obama's birth certificate too?

There's nothing to wonder about in the Favre or Brady cases.

Atlanta picked Favre in the 2nd round. Atlanta had an established QB, so when Green Bay offered a #1 for a guy a year after he was drafted in the 2nd round & who wasn't #1 on their depth chart, it was an offer they couldn't refuse.

Bledsoe was a former #1 pick of the entire draft, just recently signed to a big extension. Brady moved up to #2 in preseason after being #4 his rookie year. The fact NE kept 4 QBs meant they saw potential in Brady. They weren't going to start a 6th rd rookie in his 1st season over an established QB. When Brady showed enough in the games Bledsoe was out, Brady was named the permanent starter his 2nd year in the league. It's not like he sat behind Bledsoe for 4 years.

Facts are good. Doesn't change my point (which was probably made in a ham-handed way): QBs can improve over time.

Maybe 3 or 4 years ago he was no good? Maybe he wasn't paired with the right coach until CG?

Do you gotta wonder why Atlanta traded Brett Favre? Why Tom Brady sat behind Bledsoe? (Not saying Fitz is going to equal either of those quarterbacks, either on the field or by texting pictures of his junk or by benefiting from a cheating coaching regime. Just that maybe he got better as he learned the game.)

kj

+1

Dude, W...T...F? Down 10, forces 0T against Baltimore, scores a late TD against KC to force OT, scores a TD in the closing minute of the first half to knot the score with Chicago/get the ball back after the half.

I suppose you still need to see Obama's birth certificate too?

Um. . . Sure . . . Not really sure how that helps an argument, but i would like to see it!!!

Are you not at all the least bit worried that this could be Derek Anderson PT 2? THere numbers were very similar before they were announced the starter.

He and Fitz both had been carrer backups, they both go to a team that is atrocious, the QB that they have drafted in the future had failed (Quinn V Edwards). He goes out has a monster season and then falls off the face of the earth next year. I dont want that to happen to the Bills because it would set this team back even further.

We both want what is best for this team. I am just not ready to crown Fitz as the starter for the future right now. If he proves me wrong i will stick my foot in my mouth.

Um. . . Sure . . . Not really sure how that helps an argument, but i would like to see it!!!

Are you not at all the least bit worried that this could be Derek Anderson PT 2? THere numbers were very similar before they were announced the starter.

He and Fitz both had been carrer backups, they both go to a team that is atrocious, the QB that they have drafted in the future had failed (Quinn V Edwards). He goes out has a monster season and then falls off the face of the earth next year. I dont want that to happen to the Bills because it would set this team back even further.

We both want what is best for this team. I am just not ready to crown Fitz as the starter for the future right now. If he proves me wrong i will stick my foot in my mouth.

Why would I be worried about Derek Anderson pt 2? WHY? Because it happened once before? Are you worried that you might keel over in the next three minutes, dead from a brain aneurysm? It happens, you know.

What if he was Matt Schaub pt 2?

What if he was David Garrard pt 2?

Fitzpatrick is playing with a receiving corps that was on incredibly shaky ground at season's start. He's made them look like they belong out there. He's playing behind an offensive line that in spite the RB chips, the TE chips, the pull gimmicks, the pistol formation, the 5-wide shotgun formation, STILL can't seem to keep defensive lineman out of his lap. He's come in and completely transformed this offense from the listless turd it was with Edwards at the helm. He started a stretch of games where the defense gave up a FRANCHISE RECORD amount of points. The same offensive line who he has to constantly make up for with quick reads and throws can't run block well enough to establish a ground game, but we still move the ball and score, and yet it's STILL not enough for you to let your pessimistic guard down.

You're kidding yourself and you're doomed to dissapointment if you think anyone ANYONE not named Brady or Manning could come into the situation he's playing in right now and look substantially better.

Yet you're reserving judgment. You've got $1,000 and a trip to Orlando (not the greatest prize(s), but cash and prize and on hand) and you'd rather see what's behind door number 2.

Newsflash: we had to look behind door number EIGHT just to find Fitzpatrick. He's performing as well or better than ANY Buffalo Bills quarterback since Kelly, yet you're still hoping we allocate resources to find something shinier. Ha! Best of "luck" with that.

Meanwhile, we have no pass rush, we've had a handful of bums, UDFA's, and practice squad castoffs manning the right side of our line, and we could use some new blood center.

But no, "Fitz isn't the answer," he might be Derek Anderson pt 2, and he hasn't orchestrated come from behind wins on the road against two of the AFC's best teams, so let's fixate our attention STILL on the quarterback position.

:wallbash:

Well the Rams had no weapons and Marc Bulger ... The Bengals had Carson Palmer coming back after injury. He was a free agent. Doesn't a backup QB usually go somewhere he think he can start once he has started for a period of time?

I wouldn't read into the 3 times/5 seasons thing.

Not when you and the rest of the world knows that you only have backup talent-at best. The heart of a line but the skills of a, well Bills backup quarterback.

Rk Player Team Pos Comp Att Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Int 1st 1st% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck Rate

21 Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF QB 148 251 59.0 5.9 1,645.6 235.0 14 7 83 33.1 45T 19 4 13 85.5

This does not by any means call for Fitz to be the next franchise QB, nor does it call for a benching. What this tells me as a fan that if Buffalo sees a QB in the draft or a free agent that Chan the Man feels he can do better with, then it simply means he will do that. Chan has stated time after time that if the Bills see a player out ther that is better than what they have, then they will go after that player. What we as fand don't see is the politics that play into that. What I mean by that is does that player want to be a Bill, can the chemistry make the team and that player better? Does the Bills want that player? Is Ralph putting his two cents into that? I really feel Chan felt he could work with Trent Edwards and he tried hard to. Trent just couldn't work, so he cut ties, and went with Fitz. Fitz is trying and is working, but is he really a franchise QB? My two cents don't matter, but feel that Buffalo will pick who is the best player available, and Fitz just might be the QB for next year. Instead of analyzing the players on the team, analyze who is going to be the first ten off the boards. I feel safe to say we get a top ten pick next year. I also feel the Bills can sell our pick for two seconds and get us 3 2nd round picks. Two defensive tackles and a solid LB? Look at it that way.

Why would I be worried about Derek Anderson pt 2? WHY? Because it happened once before? Are you worried that you might keel over in the next three minutes, dead from a brain aneurysm? It happens, you know.

What if he was Matt Schaub pt 2?

What if he was David Garrard pt 2?

Fitzpatrick is playing with a receiving corps that was on incredibly shaky ground at season's start. He's made them look like they belong out there. He's playing behind an offensive line that in spite the RB chips, the TE chips, the pull gimmicks, the pistol formation, the 5-wide shotgun formation, STILL can't seem to keep defensive lineman out of his lap. He's come in and completely transformed this offense from the listless turd it was with Edwards at the helm. He started a stretch of games where the defense gave up a FRANCHISE RECORD amount of points. The same offensive line who he has to constantly make up for with quick reads and throws can't run block well enough to establish a ground game, but we still move the ball and score, and yet it's STILL not enough for you to let your pessimistic guard down.

You're kidding yourself and you're doomed to dissapointment if you think anyone ANYONE not named Brady or Manning could come into the situation he's playing in right now and look substantially better.

Yet you're reserving judgment. You've got $1,000 and a trip to Orlando (not the greatest prize(s), but cash and prize and on hand) and you'd rather see what's behind door number 2.

Newsflash: we had to look behind door number EIGHT just to find Fitzpatrick. He's performing as well or better than ANY Buffalo Bills quarterback since Kelly, yet you're still hoping we allocate resources to find something shinier. Ha! Best of "luck" with that.

Meanwhile, we have no pass rush, we've had a handful of bums, UDFA's, and practice squad castoffs manning the right side of our line, and we could use some new blood center.

But no, "Fitz isn't the answer," he might be Derek Anderson pt 2, and he hasn't orchestrated come from behind wins on the road against two of the AFC's best teams, so let's fixate our attention STILL on the quarterback position.

:wallbash:

Great post. I agree 100% with everything you said. Truth is, Fitz isn't the flashy 1st round draft choice that most people think a franchise QB should be. He's played great with what his situation has been. He's made his WR group relevant and is putting up great numbers. When was the last time a Bills QB threw for 3k yards and over 25tds? Fitz is going to do it this year, despite missing 2 games, and despite being in an entirely new system and coach. If Luck is there and your getting a shot at another Manning or Elway then great, draft him and hope he works out, but usually that pick turns out to be the next Ryan Leaf, or Jamarcus Russell. It's less than a 50/50 shot IMO.

Derek Anderson?

Derek fricken Anderson?

Are you kidding me?

Fitzgerald has already forgotten more about reading defenses and getting his guys in the right position to make plays than Derek fricken Anderson will ever learn.

Anderson NEVER showed the aptitude for the game that Fitz has. NEVER. End of story. End of comparison.

GO BILLS!!!

My analogy would be from the movie "Some Kind of Wonderful." Don't go lusting after some superficial, high maintenance, socialite (Lea Thompson) when your life long, mechanically gifted, loyal best freind who happens to clean up real nice (Mary Stuart Masterson) is everthing you never realized you could want or need. All we saying......is give Fitz a chance.

Or in Teen Wolf with Boof and Pamela Wells.

Derek Anderson?

Derek fricken Anderson?

Are you kidding me?

Fitzgerald has already forgotten more about reading defenses and getting his guys in the right position to make plays than Derek fricken Anderson will ever learn.

Anderson NEVER showed the aptitude for the game that Fitz has. NEVER. End of story. End of comparison.

GO BILLS!!!

Whoooooooa, horsey! :thumbsup:

Derek Anderson?

Derek fricken Anderson?

Are you kidding me?

GO BILLS!!!

Career Numbers

Fitzpatrick - 572-985 (58.1%) - 5749 Yds. - 35 TD's - 34 INT's - 72.3 QB Rating

Anderson - 708-1335 (53%) - 8564 Yds. - 52 TD's - 53 INT's - 69.4 QB Rating

Anderson's best year he had an 82.5 QB Rating...Fitz's QB Rating is 85.5 currently...

Now I'll grant anyone the fact that Fitz's numbers are slightly better and that he seems to be improving while Anderson fell off badly after the one decent year...But at this point in time I think the comparison can certainly be made when you're talking about Career-Year type things...So far this is Fitz Career Year...We'll see what he does from this point on...But others, like Anderson, had their 15 minutes and fell off dramatically...It's not beyond imagination that Fitz could do the same based on what he has done before this Year... B-)

Career Numbers

Anderson's best year he had an 82.5 QB Rating...Fitz's QB Rating is 85.5 currently...

Now I'll grant anyone the fact that Fitz's numbers are slightly better and that he seems to be improving while Anderson fell off badly after the one decent year...But at this point in time I think the comparison can certainly be made when you're talking about Career-Year type things...So far this is Fitz Career Year...We'll see what he does from this point on...But others, like Anderson, had their 15 minutes and fell off dramatically...It's not beyond imagination that Fitz could do the same based on what he has done before this Year... B-)

The day Fitz goes 2-17 for 23 yds, 0 TD's and a pick, call me.

Career Numbers

I'm not impressed by either QBs "career" numbers. We can massage the stats and cherry pick them all we like. That's not my point.

Fitz could well end up sucking more than Anderson. We'll see. But it WON'T be because Anderson knows more about reading defenses and making the right calls to get his guys in better position to make plays. That was my point. Anderson has shown absolutely NOTHING with regard to having a command of the game. Even in his best season in Cleveland. I liken that season with Losman's 2006. Flash in the pan.

Fitz, on the other hand, has shown consistent ability to make the right pre/post snap reads. And to paraphrase Yogi, 99% of playing NFL QB is half mental. He's got way more upside than Anderson ever had or will have.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm not impressed by either QBs "career" numbers. We can massage the stats and cherry pick them all we like. That's not my point.

Fitz could well end up sucking more than Anderson. We'll see. But it WON'T be because Anderson knows more about reading defenses and making the right calls to get his guys in better position to make plays. That was my point. Anderson has shown absolutely NOTHING with regard to having a command of the game. Even in his best season in Cleveland. I liken that season with Losman's 2006. Flash in the pan.

Fitz, on the other hand, has shown consistent ability to make the right pre/post snap reads. And to paraphrase Yogi, 99% of playing NFL QB is half mental. He's got way more upside than Anderson ever had or will have.

GO BILLS!!!

Who's massaging and cherry picking stats? They are what they are...Break em' down any way you see fit...

BTW...No question Fitz is the smarter QB...It still does not mean he's going to end up being the better QB in time...I for one hope he is...I'm not a hater, just a realist... B-)

If there is no Luck in the draft for the Bills, they need to get a pass rusher for sure.

THEY NEED TO GET THE BEST FOOTBALL PLAYERS THEY CAN!

Sorry, I just found a Caps Lock key and it seems to have calmed me down.

I definitely have an open mind about Fitzy, and while he isn't our HOF QB of the future, he totally takes the pressure off us to get a QB at all costs, and lets us pick the best fit and value of the next draft or two or three and then mentor him.

I think Luck is a phenomenal talent and football player, and I pick him anywhere he is available. But if he isn't there, I'm happy to consider along with the top QBs the BPAs at other positions, and get the best players each round to make our roster more talented. The way Fitz has played, it takes off the "QB is a glaring weakness", and allows us to pick the best football player talent each round and in doing so, become a more talented football team.

He isn't good enough to pass on a franchise QB if available, but he is good enough to keep us from pretending an also-ran is a franchise QB.

Who's massaging and cherry picking stats? They are what they are...Break em' down any way you see fit...

BTW...No question Fitz is the smarter QB...It still does not mean he's going to end up being the better QB in time...I for one hope he is...I'm not a hater, just a realist... B-)

Sorry if I insinuated you were cherry picking stats. Just that there is so much of that around here. And you're absolutely correct; they are what they are.

It's just that to me, they are meaningless. They lack the context required to make a determination about ability. I trust my own experience and eyes far more. And my experience and eyes tell me Anderson was a complete fluke in his one good season in Cleveland. In spite of not being able to read a defense for crap, he did ok. Much like Losman in 2006. And I had my doubts then as well.

Like I said, Fitz may well end up not being the answer. I just wouldn't point to Anderson as a good comparison since Fitz already has far better command of the game. Anderson never showed me he had the D-reading ability to stay consistent. Fitz's ability to do just that gives him a far better chance at becoming a consistently good QB. You simply must possess that ability or you have no chance at all. Fitz has a GREAT chance based on his grasp of the game alone.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

You gotta wonder why he's been on 3 teams in 5 seasons.

A fair question. I think that in the NFL that if there is a quarterback ahead of you on the roster that has been drafted and/or paid to be "the Man" then your options are limited. He was traded to one team and chose another. As a free agent he must have had other options. As smart as he is, it's not surprising he'd look around and identify the best opportunity. Not surprising he'd pick the Bills-it was a wise choice.