Cam newton

NoSaint

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I won't question it - even though it doesn't make sense - until i am told it's the proper time. I suppose when tiger got in that car accident you assumed it was an innocent and isolated incident the whole time? I'm sure mike Vick was innocent until convicted as well. I am a huge fan of cam at auburn. I think he's very exciting to watch play college ball. I also think he has a much harder road to the pros because although he has the physical tools it appears he will have to piece together the mental both on and off the field. I'm all for letting the facts come out, gathering as much info as possible but if you don't see red flags... I'm not sure what to say. At some point a team is going to have to make a decision without all the facts - I'm saying if put in there shoes with what's been made public thus far, my concerns would consist of the things I've mentioned. And yes, allegations, even unproven ones, are not good. I think twice about guys that draw negative attention that consistently even if not proven. Note: think twice, not rule out.

did I not say anyone interested should do alot of HW? pretty sure I did.

Im not worried about his commitment to the game though, which was the case for Vick.

Keep in mind he's not being accused of some travesty like running a dog fighting ring, or being a scumbag that cheats on his wife.

Not saying its right, but its not a big deal IMO

1) stole a laptop

2) transferred out of SEC powerhouse florida to a juco to avoid being kicked out for multiple academic violations.

3) family sought money for his signing. This can read two ways - he was involved and he made the choice to auction his services. Or he somehow agreed to 100% take himself out of the biggest decision of his life. Regardless his inner circle can not be trusted and you can not expect him to leave his family behind.

4) needs to learn the qb position (reading defenses, progressions, route trees etc)

I don't know how true #1 is, and I'm no X's and O's guru so I take your word on #4 although you are obviously biased.

I don't get how you view #s 2 and 3 as negative. The academic stuff is absolute horse crap as all of these guys are there purely and simply to make money for the school. You think the academic phony baloney is somehow not sour grapes coming out of "SEC powerhouse" UF?????? :lol: Who is the power house now?

And the demands for money? He should be a hero for that. It proves he is a leader standing up to the mighty money machine that is the NCAA. Every time I've seen Newton interviewed he is very clear concise and on point. This was his message to the NCAA. You should pay the players that make you all of this money. Newton will go down as the Dirk Flood of college football. I don't know if he will be a great pro, but he will be an historical figure and a hero to many.

Cam Newton is not the answer at QB in Buffalo. Nix values experience in his selections. Newton has only done it really for 1 year at a big time program, add to that, he's a run first QB, and theres no way he'd be taken as a high 1st round pick.

Unlike Andrew Luck, Newton could gain a lot by coming back to school and competing at a high level in 2011. If he enters the 2011 draft he's at the very least behind 2 QB's (Mallett & Luck) maybe more. If he came back and played well he could position himself to be the #1 QB, which would never happen this year.

Given the allegations that have come out about his father, I fully expect Newton to be swayed into coming out ASAP to start earning $$$$$.

did I not say anyone interested should do alot of HW? pretty sure I did.

Im not worried about his commitment to the game though, which was the case for Vick.

Keep in mind he's not being accused of some travesty like running a dog fighting ring, or being a scumbag that cheats on his wife.

Not saying its right, but its not a big deal IMO

So far we have the laptop incident, an accusation of cheating multiple times (some of which were embarrassingly blatant if true), and asking for if not taking money... It's a pretty solid list for a guy to acquire before becoming a starter for a div1 team.

It's a lot of extracurriculars for a guy that would be considered a project without them.

That said, if we could trade down get the top offensive lineman or front seven player, newton, and a solid player from the opposite category of our first pick before getting out of round two, I see the temptation. Kid scares me though.

Cam Newton is not the answer at QB in Buffalo. Nix values experience in his selections. Newton has only done it really for 1 year at a big time program, add to that, he's a run first QB, and theres no way he'd be taken as a high 1st round pick.

Unlike Andrew Luck, Newton could gain a lot by coming back to school and competing at a high level in 2011. If he enters the 2011 draft he's at the very least behind 2 QB's (Mallett & Luck) maybe more. If he came back and played well he could position himself to be the #1 QB, which would never happen this year.

Given the allegations that have come out about his father, I fully expect Newton to be swayed into coming out ASAP to start earning $$$$$.

At this point if I'm cam newton I'm declaring in my post game interview after whatever bowl he's in. I'd rather get out before my eligibility is in question. Just like Florida, I think he will walk out before being kicked out... Yes, flame me on that but I really don't think he leaves his dream school (florida) unless it's to bury something.

Edited by NoSaint

So far we have the laptop incident, an accusation of cheating multiple times (some of which were embarrassingly blatant if true), and taking money... It's a pretty solid list for a guy to acquire before becoming a starter for a div1 team.

It's a lot of extracurriculars for a guy that would be considered a project without them.

That said, if we could trade down get the top offensive lineman or front seven player, newton, and a solid player from the opposite category of our first pick before getting out of round two, I see the temptation. Kid scares me though.

At this point if I'm cam newton I'm declaring in my post game interview after whatever bowl he's in. I'd rather get out before my eligibility is in question. Just like Florida, I think he will walk out before being kicked out... Yes, flame me on that but I really don't think he leaves his dream school (florida) unless it's to bury something.

:lol::lol::lol:

A college football player cheating on a test is a sign that something is wrong? Are you kidding?

It is a sign that Urban Meyer is still whining over being in 100th place in the SEC this year and is getting revenge. I'll tell you what; if Meyer ever wants to be a pro coach this should be item #1 on his list of concerns. "Threw kid under bus because his program was falling apart". Classy.

:lol::lol::lol:

A college football player cheating on a test is a sign that something is wrong? Are you kidding?

It is a sign that Urban Meyer is still whining over being in 100th place in the SEC this year and is getting revenge. I'll tell you what; if Meyer ever wants to be a pro coach this should be item #1 on his list of concerns. "Threw kid under bus because his program was falling apart". Classy.

See what I read as one of the allegations was taking another students paper, and putting his own name on it. When the professor asked the student why he didn't turn in the assignment, he gave a new copy of it which was eerily familiar to the professor reading it. The logistics of it don't 100% add up in my head but if thats the move he tried to pull....

Getting caught looking over someones shoulder, or even getting help from a tutor would somehow seem less.... Offensive.

Like I said, thats just one of the rumors though.

Also, its a matter of not just the types of incidents but the frequency of allegations. Who was the last player to be such a lightning rod? It took him about half a season to have more starts then allegations... Or more starts then schools.

Even if "everybodys doing it" do you want the guy that constantly gets singled out for it? Worrisome.

Also, after one school goes bad common sense says walk the straight and narrow. If he wasn't having a heisman season on an undefeated team he mightve already played his last college game - as I don't think auburn would roll the dice on most players and would have sat just about anyone else on that team were they in this murky situation with eligibility.

Edited by NoSaint

the supposed cheating in question happened at Florida only, not Blinn, or Auburn. So at Florida, the same place where he bought a stolen laptop and got made out to be a criminal, he also is being accused of cheating, after the fact, while having a heisman caliber season at a rival SEC school....hmmmmmmm.

Miss. St, the school he spurned to attend Auburn, has an 80's era QB who's is not any relation buisness wise to newton, accusing his father of making the $$ demands.

Its being made out to be more than it is.

Consider this though, if Cam hadnt left florida , imagine where they would be right now. You dont think some of this is sour grapes by Meyer? or Miss St?

See what I read as one of the allegations was taking another students paper, and putting his own name on it. When the professor asked the student why he didn't turn in the assignment, he gave a new copy of it which was eerily familiar to the professor reading it. The logistics of it don't 100% add up in my head but if thats the move he tried to pull....

Wow. I see now. You are probably right. This might be the first time a college football player has put his name on someone else's work. Wow. Just wow.

Now I see that Urban Meyer is all about integrity and nothing about sour grapes. I also understand that the NCAA treats its players fairly. It is 100% Newton to blame here.

Based on this I think we should definitely obviously take another QB from Stanford defiinitely.

the supposed cheating in question happened at Florida only, not Blinn, or Auburn. So at Florida, the same place where he bought a stolen laptop and got made out to be a criminal, he also is being accused of cheating, after the fact, while having a heisman caliber season at a rival SEC school....hmmmmmmm.

Miss. St, the school he spurned to attend Auburn, has an 80's era QB who's is not any relation buisness wise to newton, accusing his father of making the $$ demands.

Consider this though, if Cam hadnt left florida , imagine where they would be right now. You dont think some of this is sour grapes by Meyer? or Miss St?

He was charged with theft of the computer, not possession of stolen goods. Later on, after the arrest, he came up with some story about a sprinkler destroying his own laptop and "buying" one for $120 from "some guy". He painted the computer black and wrote "Cam Newton" on it.

Why did he leave Florida? Because Tebow announced he was coming back? Then why not wait a year until he's gone instead of heading to some hick Jr. College for a year?

He was charged with theft of the computer, not possession of stolen goods. Later on, after the arrest, he came up with some story about a sprinkler destroying his own laptop and "buying" one for $120 from "some guy". He painted the computer black and wrote "Cam Newton" on it.

Why did he leave Florida? Because Tebow announced he was coming back? Then why not wait a year until he's gone instead of heading to some hick Jr. College for a year?

B/c UF was not a good environment for him, and he could play at D2 as opposed to riding the bench another yr.

B/c UF was not a good environment for him, and he could play at D2 as opposed to riding the bench another yr.

why would florida not want to create the best possible environment for cam newton to be a star? i know some of this might read as sour grapes, but it could just as easily read as they didnt have to protect there commodity anymore... as recently as this year he has come out and said he really wished he could still be at florida. clearly not a knock on auburn but this was truly his dream job and he leaves to get an extra year of D2 playing time??

i think theres more to cam then the innocent preachers son caught up in a mess that has nothing to do with his own actions.

whether that effects his long term development is yet to be seen, but its got to be a red flag. im not saying run out and grab luck or mallet or anyone else. i think its absurd not to admit that he plays a style that has not transferred well to the NFL, and there are atleast a few reasons to wonder if he will be the guy to cross that line.

Now i dont have an article to cite this but there was mention over the weekend that cams father admitted to having asked for money -- if true its not really on miss st for filing with the NCAA back when it happened.

Edited by NoSaint

Mike Vick 2.0.

Is that good or bad?... ;)

I've heard more than one member of the national media say what a "good kid" he is. WTF is going on? :unsure:

His Head Coach just about makes him out the be the next coming...He's gone WAY above and beyond defending Newton as a person...Not sure how this is going to end up, but he's going to get the highest endorsement possible from Chizik it seems... B-)

My point was something more was going on there - fine, we don't know if it's academic - do you think he left to get off the bench?

that is actually common in the ncaa. especially if you want to be drafted highly. how often do we talk about number of starts when looking for qbs? i dont know a ton about whats going on with him, but i would remove this from any arguement

that is actually common in the ncaa. especially if you want to be drafted highly. how often do we talk about number of starts when looking for qbs? i dont know a ton about whats going on with him, but i would remove this from any arguement

I argue that just isnt true. If tebow were the same year or younger it would make sense. But he graduated last year, so Cam would be starting at florida this year, or wherever he ended up. I think that two years starting at florida after 3 years in the program (had a medical red shirt), without any transfer would look better then 2 at UF, 1 at blinn and 2 at Auburn. I would bet that the twos at florida would beat the blinn team any day of the week... Short of real issues with the university, or program, it just doesnt make sense. With a running QB like Tebow, he was always one snap away from playing at UF.

Sadly the only QB that i can think of that has done this recently and been drafted high is JP....

Edited by NoSaint