Watching the Bills Online

BillsMan75

No one is talking about the blackout. As far as rights to broadcast, no it is not that cut and dry. The internet sites are mirroring a broadcast already in progress by CBS, they are not cutting the raw feed. The issue is REBROADCAST. Since you felt like talking down to everyone on the board, I thought I'd respond in kind with a tart and petty answer.

I agree 100%. You forget they makes big bucks prostituting the game by selling the rights to the Sunday ticket to Direct TV. The NFL only cares abouth the bottom line, not fan enjoyment or player safety. I never buy anything off their website and I suggest everyone else follow suit.

After the websites went down, i found a working stream from that myp2p site that i posted.

However you'll need a program to view the game called StreamTorrent.

You can download the program here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File-Sharing/Stream-Torrent.shtml

Once installed, look at the names of the different channels out there.

The name of the channel is VP23, hit play, wait a minute or two and now you have the Bills game.

All the NFL has to do to solve the internet rebroadcasting issue is partner up with a company like Netflix and provide a stream of each game each week for a small price.

Imagine if instead of blowing a ton of cash on that overpriced Direct TV package, you could pay $4.95 per game/per week for a hi-res stream (with commercials) that you could watch on your television.

For as much as the NFL does well, they don't understand how to properly utilize technology.

Edited by ohiotim

No one is talking about the blackout. As far as rights to broadcast, no it is not that cut and dry. The internet sites are mirroring a broadcast already in progress by CBS, they are not cutting the raw feed. The issue is REBROADCAST. Since you felt like talking down to everyone on the board, I thought I'd respond in kind with a tart and petty answer.

I was not being tart and petty, but you did a very nice job of it. Actually, I consciously chose not to respond to any one person because I thought it was of interest to all. Referring to rebroadcasting only further makes my point anyway; as the boilerplate announcement at the end of every game says... "every rebroadcast.. etc. etc. is forbidden." My point was that it is annoying, but not that hard to see why they try to stop it.

LoyalToTheEnd, on 14 November 2010 - 04:16 PM, said:

the hiwarez link is working again

SWEET!

What an awesome game today, we might actually win!

Thank god i started Fred Jackson in my fantasy league this week... the guy is MONEY : )

Edited by brianthomas

I was not being tart and petty, but you did a very nice job of it. Actually, I consciously chose not to respond to any one person because I thought it was of interest to all. Referring to rebroadcasting only further makes my point anyway; as the boilerplate announcement at the end of every game says... "every rebroadcast.. etc. etc. is forbidden." My point was that it is annoying, but not that hard to see why they try to stop it.

but nobody is "RE"-broadcasting the game. To me rebroadcast means reshowing the game at a later time, not as the game is live.

but nobody is "RE"-broadcasting the game. To me rebroadcast means reshowing the game at a later time, not as the game is live.

Actually, as ndirish himself said, that is exactly what they are doing. Taking the broadcast from one source and sending it through another is the exact definition of rebroadcasting. It does not just mean replaying it later, though it means that as well.

i suppose one has to define ReBroadcast. Because what these sites do is post links to people like you or me who Relay the broadcast.

The NFL still wont like it, but the person who relays the broadcast isnt making any money off of it. Perhaps the sites that post the links do with website traffic and advertisments.

The NFL really should just reform their blackout policy and they'll take the high road and take care of both these issues at one shot.

Actually, as ndirish himself said, that is exactly what they are doing. Taking the broadcast from one source and sending it through another is the exact definition of rebroadcasting. It does not just mean replaying it later, though it means that as well.

My apology. I was a a bit pissy at not being able to tune in to the game and I thought you were being snarky. Must be that time of the month.

My apology. I was a a bit pissy at not being able to tune in to the game and I thought you were being snarky. Must be that time of the month.

No worries man. Being a Bills fan can make anyone feel snippy. At least the Irish had to make you smile, though... and with the Sabres last night and the Bills so far today, we may all have a happy weekend.

Here, have one on me!

:beer:

i suppose one has to define ReBroadcast. Because what these sites do is post links to people like you or me who Relay the broadcast.

The NFL still wont like it, but the person who relays the broadcast isnt making any money off of it. Perhaps the sites that post the links do with website traffic and advertisments.

The NFL really should just reform their blackout policy and they'll take the high road and take care of both these issues at one shot.

Again, the issue is not a blackout, it is the rebroadcasting of the game without the express written authorization of the NFL. That being said, the NFL will never give these sites written permission because it makes services like the Sunday Ticket superfluous. In short, they have contracted with Direct Tv to broadcast the games and will never allow people to see an out of market game for free. I don't agree with downloading movies and music online without paying for them, but this is equivalent to selling air, which is free anyway. If CBS is broadcasting a game, we should be able to watch it without paying for it like a PPV.

Again, the issue is not a blackout, it is the rebroadcasting of the game without the express written authorization of the NFL. That being said, the NFL will never give these sites written permission because it makes services like the Sunday Ticket superfluous. In short, they have contracted with Direct Tv to broadcast the games and will never allow people to see an out of market game for free. I don't agree with downloading movies and music online without paying for them, but this is equivalent to selling air, which is free anyway. If CBS is broadcasting a game, we should be able to watch it without paying for it like a PPV.

My point about the blackout is that if the NFL changed their blackout policy for cities such as Buffalo, they wouldnt have to worry about people streaming the games because most people would be watching the game on TV instead. The NFL would then retain their viewership numbers, if not actually increasing them, and these sites would be less of an issue for them because we'd be watching the game on TV.

But it would be absurd to think that the NFL would sign off on sites like this. If anything they would and have been coming after people that relay the games on the internet. I say that if the NFL changed their blackout policy, you wouldnt give people a reason to relay the games, they'd be on tv in the first place

Edited by brianthomas

I respectfully disagree. The internet sites don't exist because of blackout games. They exist for people like me who don't live in Buffalo and can't watch the games on TV no matter if they are being shown in the Buffalo market or not. A revised blackout policy would not likely affect these sites one bit.

My point about the blackout is that if the NFL changed their blackout policy for cities such as Buffalo, they wouldnt have to worry about people streaming the games because most people would be watching the game on TV instead. The NFL would then retain their viewership numbers, if not actually increasing them, and these sites would be less of an issue for them because we'd be watching the game on TV.

But it would be absurd to think that the NFL would sign off on sites like this. If anything they would and have been coming after people that relay the games on the internet. I say that if the NFL changed their blackout policy, you wouldnt give people a reason to relay the games, they'd be on tv in the first place

Not a completely bad point. I am no fan of the blackout rule these days either, though it is what it is. The blackout issue is really moot, though. Most if not all of the folks on this site who want the internet feed want it precisely because they do not live in the Bills viewing area, and cannot see the game on TV any other way. The number of posts begging for the link during the weeks that the Bills are on local TV is eloquent testimony to that.

I respectfully disagree. The internet sites don't exist because of blackout games. They exist for people like me who don't live in Buffalo and can't watch the games on TV no matter if they are being shown in the Buffalo market or not. A revised blackout policy would not likely affect these sites one bit.

True, i suppose one could say that they exist as long as people want to watch them, regardless of the reason.

The reason why people in Buffalo have been searching for sites like this lately is because the games have been blacked out here.

While the reason you stated is true for viewership abroad, so is the blackout reason for us locals.

On its own, the NFL should change their blackout policy because it isnt fair for teams like buffalo that will have 60,000 fans in the stands and yet the game is not on tv.

So back to my point, the NFL could take care of 2 issues at once, just by changing their policy.

Us locals could watch the game on tv and they would have 10-30% less viewers online supporting pirated or relayed broadcasts, seems like a win win

Not a completely bad point. I am no fan of the blackout rule these days either, though it is what it is. The blackout issue is really moot, though. Most if not all of the folks on this site who want the internet feed want it precisely because they do not live in the Bills viewing area, and cannot see the game on TV any other way. The number of posts begging for the link during the weeks that the Bills are on local TV is eloquent testimony to that.

NFL Sunday Ticket. You can see every game legally and reliably.

I have RR and it worked fine until the NFL gods shut it down for the second half. I can't complain, them are the rules.

Does everyone that these are working for have Roadrunner?

I have DSL and it is just so choppy. Almost can't watch it. Stops starts etc.

Would consider paying the big bucks for roadrunner if it actually worked.

Edited by Rockpile

If you are within the blackout range (I am on the outer edge of the 75 miles) games are blacked out for me WITH the NFL ticket, right?

Money and time only allow me to get to one or two games a year, but I go every year.

Obviously you can, but that's beside the point. The whole point is that these games are being shown, for free, in their home markets. Sunday Ticket is advertised as "you can see all the games", but the reality of the matter is most people who buy that $350+ package are being charged that amount to watch their team because they don't live in the local broadcasting area. Essentially you are penalizing fans for not living near their favorite team. Yes, some people take full advantage of the Ticket, but most people I know just get it to watch their favorite team. So, a game that Person A who lives in Buffalo, can watch for free, costs Person B who lives outside of the area around $25 to watch. This isn't a boxing pay-per-view, it is a free broadcast being packaged as premium content by offering extra games many people have no interest in. My point is that businesses like Hooters, who have 50 tvs showing all the different games, should be charged for rebroadcasting, but Joe Schmoe sitting at home should be able to watch his favorite team at home for free and not be penalized because of where he lives. Essentially, you are punished for not rooting for the team in your coverage area. The NFL should allow people to register their favorite team for the year and offer fans a weekly passcode that allows them to watch live streams of only their team for the season.

The NFL should allow people to register their favorite team for the year and offer fans a weekly passcode that allows them to watch live streams of only their team for the season.

Way too complicated. There should be no blackout rule.

The NFL doesn't give a **** about their fans other then getting their money.

They don't care at all about the people who can't afford a couple hundred dollars to see a game.

And they don't care at all about kids , elderly, shut-ins etc. that also can't go.

All they care about is feeding their bank accounts.

As long as the fans, the TV networks and DirectTV put up with the NFLs bull **** there is no reason to expect it to change.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The ticket is subject to blackouts as well, just like other providers.

Which sucks infinitely more than the other blackouts because you are paying specifically for that package, and DirectTV pays the NFL.

The only games that I've seen blacked out on Season ticket are games that are shown in the local market -- in my case the Washington, DC, franchise with the racist nickname. However, those games are shown on local TV -- and since I'm in the Washington market -- so it's a non-issue.

Basically, the NFL has a product to sell. If you want the product, you pay for it. If you don't want it, don't pay for it. Perhaps at some point in the future, we'll be able to pay for Season ticket on an a la carte basis -- that is only the teams we want to see. But until then, we have two choices: pay for the entire package, or not. I've chosen to pay for he package so that I can swear at the Bills for 16 Sundays a year.

The NFL tolls message boards looking for the links. If you find one that works, PM people, don't post it. The one I was using worked great until sonebidy posted it. 10 minutes later it was gone.

Seriously. Asking for NFL webstreams or posting them to a forum like this is basically telling the NFL where they are. A little discretion is called for here so as to not ruin what is a very good thing.

PTR

Really....I may have to move then. I am one of these unfortunate people in Syracuse who got tossed into the blackout radius a few years back because a sliver of the broadcast reaches inside the blackout radius. Total Money grab and it still bothers me. Technology exists so they know where my house is and should let me see the game at my house... but alas some BS about "you have to be inline with what the local station is showing" because the Franchise grants them that right.

And don't even get me started on last week, when the game was not blacked out but because it was on fox, they could not show a game at 1PM competing with the CBS game. Somebody has to explain that to me. Thus I hate it when Buffalo plays NFC teams. It happens sometimes but not always.

I live in another country and the NFL is quite simply not available here on TV or through the "ticket", so my only choice is to "steal" the game through the internet. That suggestion about the site that you need to use stream torrent for is the most reliable IMO.

Also IMO the NFL is trying this out still and may end up giving the games away in the long run as TV revenues are from selling commercials, there sure are too many of those!

I live in another country and the NFL is quite simply not available here on TV or through the "ticket", so my only choice is to "steal" the game through the internet. That suggestion about the site that you need to use stream torrent for is the most reliable IMO.

Also IMO the NFL is trying this out still and may end up giving the games away in the long run as TV revenues are from selling commercials, there sure are too many of those!

The NFL has a legal web stream package for those outside the USA.

PTR

The NFL has a legal web stream package for those outside the USA.

PTR

And NFL Sunday Ticket to go (via DirecTV's website) streams every game legally IN the US.

ndirish, your argument is a complaint because you have to pay for it. That's how intellectual property works.

And NFL Sunday Ticket to go (via DirecTV's website) streams every game legally IN the US.

Is this subject to blackout like the ticket is? For example, I live in Rochester and am in the blackout zone. If I subscribed to the ticket, I would be blacked out as well. Would I still get the stream in this case? I would think not.

EDIT: Just checked the DirectTV site ...

Actual number of games varies by market. Blackout restrictions and other conditions apply.

So yeah, I would be blacked out that way too.

Interesting, DirectTV's explanation of the NFL blackout rule:

A regular-season, Sunday afternoon home team game will be blacked out in a home team's territory if the game fails to sell out at least 72 hours before the game. If it is blacked out on your local broadcast station, it will also be blacked out in your area on NFL SUNDAY TICKET.

Each stadium's local blackout area is defined by the broadcast signal of the local affiliate carrying the game, not by the mileage surrounding the stadium.

The NFL requests broadcasters to black out games for a number of reasons:

* To make sure your local team benefits from a stadium full of enthusiastic fans.

* To protect home game attendance of the teams.

* To assure the entertainment value of a full stadium — for people in the stands and for people watching TV.

* To protect local television coverage.

Games Available on NFL SUNDAY TICKET

Because of NFL and broadcast network requirements outside of DIRECTV's control, games broadcast by your local FOX or CBS station will not be available on channels in the 700s. You must tune to your local FOX or CBS station to watch those games. DIRECTV is required to enforce this rule to ALL of its customers, including customers in areas where DIRECTV does not offer local channels.

The NFL requests broadcasters to black out games ... requests, riiiight.

And how about those 4 bullet reasons for blackouts. What a load. :thumbdown:

To assure the entertainment value profitability of a full stadium

Edited by CodeMonkey