Atlanta needs a new stadium?

John Gianelli

New stadiums are not the answer to increased profits for the NFL. Taxpayers don't want it and can't afford it, the difference in revenue is minimal considering they don't sell out all of the new luxury boxes they end up building into the new designs, and most franchises can't produce the $1 billion plus price tag that Indy, NYC, and Dallas put together and the debt that comes along with it. Current stadiums can be remodeled and expanded to get whatever outcome the team needs.

All of this talk of expansion is ridiculous. Goodell will be lucky to keep the 32 teams he has right now afloat in these current economic conditions. They need to stop worrying about growth, and start worrying about the current product they're putting out on the field.

Edited by Got_Wood

Context

"NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Atlanta likely will have to build a new stadium if it wants to host its third Super Bowl."

The comment was in regards to Atlanta needing a new stadium before getting another Super Bowl, not that they needed a new stadium in general. Which makes sense when comparing the 19 year old Georgia Dome to the new style stadiums being built across the league.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101112/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_goodell

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Context

"NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Atlanta likely will have to build a new stadium if it wants to host its third Super Bowl."

The comment was in regards to Atlanta needing a new stadium before getting another Super Bowl, not that they needed a new stadium in general. Which makes sense when comparing the 19 year old Georgia Dome to the new style stadiums being built across the league.

I call BS on that as well. I've been to this stadium, and it's just fine. If it were to host a Super Bowl, they could do some improvements to the existing structure. The more Roger Goodell talks, the more he sounds like he's leading the game in the wrong direction.

Its absolutely pathetic how Goodell holds the Super Bowl over a city like a ransom. its almost a form of extortion. Want the Super Bowl? too bad, you can't get one until you build a new stadium.

Whats worse is that complete **** hole stadiums like (whatever-name-it-is-this-month) stadium in Miami and the Superdome continually get awarded Super Bowls. Seems like a double standard.

Edited by Ramius

Context

So let me get this straight Mr. Goodell, the 19 year old Georgia dome isnt good enough for a Super Bowl, but the 35 year old Superdome is? That logic makes complete sense.... what a crock. So basically you want to hold the city of Atlanta ransom and say you not good enough to hold a Super Bowl unless u drop millions or billions of dollars on a new stadium, that is prolly not needed.

Of course they need a new one. They dont have every single method of ass-raping the fans out of every dime they have and charging obscene prices for the "pleasure" of watching a game live down there.

I swear I get more turned off by pro-sports by the day.

King Roger seem to be in denial that more and more games are not selling out.

The NFL is on its way to imploding under the weight of its own greed.

The next few years should be interesting to observe.

i am in total agreement! the greed of the NFL is certainly turning me off and i am a die-hard. the mindset of squeezing every last nickel they can is becoming nauseating. i will not bore everyone with obvious examples, but the understated attempts at holding fans and cities hostage to their greed will, in the end, destroy them. everyone is to blame , the players, owners, politcos, when will it end. the way things are going in today's society, the NFL should be kissing the populace's a$$, not trying to go for the knockout punch.

Translation: The NFL doesn't really want another superbowl in Atlanta.

I live here. From a tourist standpoint, there's very little in this town.

They've got a new aquarium - that's nice And ummmmmmmmm....well, did I mention the new aquarium?

I intentionally left out the World of Coca-Cola. Unless you're a nostalgia Coca-Cola memorablia collector type, you can skip that overblown advertisement for Coke. I think the only reason people go there is because they've already done the aquarium.

There's the usual stuff like the 2nd rate zoo, science and art museums. There's the strip clubs - not exactly family fare. That's more for the convention crowd.

Beyond that, there's not much in Atlanta. The nightlife absolutely blows compared to other major metropolitan cities. There are a few nice restaurants scattered around town. Compared to other major cities, there aren't all that many 5 star restaurants, especially if you're looking for something that's in the middle lots of the action with foot traffic - think Times Square. There is no real central party/entertainment district populated by plenty of revellers where you can feel safe walking the streets. It doesn't exist in Atlanta.

If you're into random gang violence and the sound of gunshots in the night, this might be the place!

Goodell could not be more disconnected from the NFL fanbase. Fans DONT WANT big new stadiums because it means they can no longer afford the seats, which means their teams arent gonna be on TV, which means the NFL loses money.

Same kinda disconnect we see with the people running this country....

Whats worse is that complete **** hole stadiums like (whatever-name-it-is-this-month) stadium in Miami and the Superdome continually get awarded Super Bowls. Seems like a double standard.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they like Miami because there's usually decent weather that time of year down there.

Its absolutely pathetic how Goodell holds the Super Bowl over a city like a ransom. its almost a form of extortion. Want the Super Bowl? too bad, you can't get one until you build a new stadium.

it was told to the owners in miami to rebuild the stadium to host a super bowl and they put millions into rebuilding, i use to work there for the superbowls as a bartender on the VIP level. it was nice i have to say, but its also in Miami, people want to visit that area (though i would tell you not to because i hate south florida... 18years i lived there)

My initial thoughts exactly. I don't see the Georgia Dome as being any worse than the Superdome.

It will be interesting to see how well the Meadowlands Super Bowl goes down. If that is a success, watch for them to want to start holding them in major northern media markets like Chicago, Boston, or even Denver. Pittsburgh and Green Bay, though flush with football history, will be passed over due to a lack of anything else to do.