5 things that make this team better next season

Got_Wood

1. Recognize where the talent is on this team and lock it up long term. That includes these players:

- Paul Posluszny

- Steve Johnson

- David Nelson

- Roscoe Parrish

- Kyle Williams

- Demetrius Bell (sign him for a modest contract now while he's still modest. could be the RT of the future)

2. Look to the future, and purge the past from this team. That includes these players:

- Chris Kelsay (sorry, admit the mistake and move on this offseason)

- John McCargo (not sure why he's still on the team if he's not getting opportunities)

- John Corto (love that he's from the area, but we need productive guys with versatility. Wilson fills this role for us)

- Keith Ellison (he's been here too long for his production level)

3. Give our young guys some playing time.

- Aaron Maybin - not sure what we're learning from watching him rot on the bench. He needs time on the field. No more trying to salvage games with guys like Ayodele and Torbor.

- Alex Carrington - another mysterious scratch considering the run defense is so bad right now.

- Alternate Moats & Maybin in Kelsay's spot. Once again, I can't stand to watch this guy run around on the field for the Bills any longer. Kelsay may be a stand up guy that has earned the respect of the players and coaches, but you have to PRODUCE on the field to stay here for this long.

4. Start looking at Defensive Coaches today. George Edwards is not the man for this job. Players consistently look confused in their assignments, we're not getting pressure on the QB, we're not getting INT's or forced fumbles, and we're not stopping the run. We need a true leader, a general for this defense. Someone who knows what they want out of their defensive unit, and demands it of his players.

5. Non-football related... We keep hearing about Kelly's ownership group over and over again. Ralph needs to step up to the plate here and make a bold move. If he truly is committed to the future of football in Buffalo, he would at least open up the conversation of a minority ownership group. Get these guys involved now, and the chances of football staying in Western New York go up exponentially. And the truth of the matter is, the Western New York market is just as big as the majority of NFL markets. If you include Rochester, Niagara, Syracuse (should be included), and southern Ontario/Toronto, this football market is massive. Just as the Patriots don't just cover Boston, MA, but the entire "New England" area. That may end up being the answer to all of this franchise's problems in the future. Regionalize the team, and call them "Western New York" or something related. Locations could include Buffalo, Niagara, Batavia, or even Rochester. Not to alarm anyone here, but the future of the team may involve a big move like this. There are no "guarantees" in this dog-eat-dog NFL landscape. Even a city as big as Boston plays their games in Foxborough (I urge you to read this brief excerpt on the recent history of the Patriots and their near move to Hartford, CT. Click here and read the "History" section). Whatever it takes to keep the team here, I think they have to at least look at it as a possibility.

Edited by Got_Wood

1-5) Use your once-or-twice in a franchise's history opportunity to draft a franchise quarterback #1 overall. Recognize that the only way to compete for championships over the course of a decade is to get elite-level play from your quarterback. Otherwise, you rebuild to 7-9.

1-5) Use your once-or-twice in a franchise's history opportunity to draft a franchise quarterback #1 overall. Recognize that the only way to compete for championships over the course of a decade is to get elite-level play from your quarterback. Otherwise, you rebuild to 7-9.

I agree, that if a guy like Luck is there for us, we have to take him. But I'm not sure it would be best to take anyone else that high. Mallett and Cam Newton look like intriguing options. But not in the top 5 picks. Fitzpatrick can win us some games with a better O-line, and a defense that can generate some turnovers.

I agree, that if a guy like Luck is there for us, we have to take him. But I'm not sure it would be best to take anyone else that high. Mallett and Cam Newton look like intriguing options. But not in the top 5 picks. Fitzpatrick can win us some games with a better O-line, and a defense that can generate some turnovers.

A defense that can generate turnovers? What would that be like?

oh

Poz should NOT be locked up for a long time. The guy is not an elite LB. He's average to good at best. He's too slow to cover anyone other than a FB, misses far too many tackles, and gets pushed around too much. The guy was an overachiever at Penn State and it's now clear he's nothing but a mediocre LB at the next level.

Let's NOT waste money locking him up to a long term deal please. It's that kind of thinking that gave us years of Chris Kelsay.

Poz should NOT be locked up for a long time. The guy is not an elite LB. He's average to good at best. He's too slow to cover anyone other than a FB, misses far too many tackles, and gets pushed around too much. The guy was an overachiever at Penn State and it's now clear he's nothing but a mediocre LB at the next level.

Let's NOT waste money locking him up to a long term deal please. It's that kind of thinking that gave us years of Chris Kelsay.

Sorry man, Poz is too good of a piece to let go. He's not a star, but the guy is productive. The OLB's are making Poz look a lot worse than he is. Poz needs to be locked up long term, and we need to cut our losses with Kelsay after this season. It's hard to admit a mistake, but these guys NEED to let Kelsay go.

lol i love the stupid poz haters.

Yeah, I think fans should be careful in thinking that all of this teams players are garbage when the team is 0-8. There are some very good pieces in place on this team. And there is no reason to throw these players away and continue to build from the ground up.

Dude you're not gonna have elite players at every position on the field. The guy is a legitimate starting ILB in this league, that works for me right now. Maybe you draft an elite guy to play next to him.

Sorry man, Poz is too good of a piece to let go. He's not a star, but the guy is productive. The OLB's are making Poz look a lot worse than he is. Poz needs to be locked up long term, and we need to cut our losses with Kelsay after this season. It's hard to admit a mistake, but these guys NEED to let Kelsay go.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

No. This type of thinking got us into this current mess. Poz isn't a superstar, but he is a solid LB. You upgrade at positions of weakness. You don't create more holes on your roster by letting players like Poz go and then having to struggle to replace him.