SI's Jeff Pearlman should be ashamed.

Oh man that was great!

It's been at least 3 days since I've read an article that mentions how it is cold in Buffalo. I'm glad to see high quality journalists and bloggers aren't letting that story die. The cold truth needs to be known!

:rolleyes:

Last time I came back to B'lo from the mid-mid-midwest it was December/January

I was kinda disappointed, it didn't seem that cold

Of course, in San Francisco you can see people with down parkas on when it's 60 degrees and misting rain.

Truth, we get good snow south of the city, B'lo isn't that cold relative to Minnesota, or Edmonton, Alberta

It's not a Mediterranean climate like San Diego. News flash neither is most of the country

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading re-tread garbage like this, I have begun to wonder why nobody every complains about Canada.

Toronto is one of the top 5 largest cities in North America, yet we here no grumbling about the weather North of the border. Granted, there are alot more things to do and see in a City that size, but what about Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, and Edmonton (sorry, my knowledge of Canadian cities is limited to teams in the NHL)?

It would seem to me, that the people of those regions make the best of their situations, and live life.

Heck, I don't know why I'm looking so far North...I can't imagine downtown Green Bay, WI having anything of a Willis McGahee-style nightlife. Chicago sure is large and bustling with Progressive hacks and criminals in their government, but it didn't get the name of the Windy City for nothing. Minnesota is notably colder (note the dome where they play football), and Cleveland and its crazily famous reason tourists just flood the area every year (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) (yeah, right) are right on par with Buffalo.

I lived in Los Angeles, CA for several years, and have to say that it can be beautiful. San Diego- heaven on earth.

Well, except for the ever-present possibility of earth quakes, wild fires, mud slides (all it does in January is rain), and the constant run of illegal aliens one has to wonder what is not to love.

Home is where you make it. Every place has its problems.

Border violence: advantage Buffalo

Italian food: advantage Buffalo

School system: advantage Buffalo

Better place to raise a family: advantage Buffalo

Hockey team: advantage Buffalo

Better fans: advantage Buffalo

Better Cheerleaders: Okay, ya got me. San Diego women are smokin hot...so cheer up, San Diegans!

The original article obviously was poorly written and probably done about 15 minutes before this douches deadline. Having said that though, the video that was posted of some F**K trying to teach Spiller how to survive in the cold of Buffalo was more disturbing. Not only is this retard from Toronto, which is NORTH of Buffalo, he just makes **** up as he goes along. "Its sometimes as cold inside as it is outside." Yeah its called summer you moron. I don't care if he was trying to be funny, he wasn't. Is this how they sell our team in Toronto?

I also felt compelled to write this idiot after reading this story, Im tired of lazy sports writers bad mouthing Buffalo because its the best they can come up with on short notice. Here is my short e-mail exchange with him, to his credit he even responded.

Mr. Pearlman,

I have never once read an article you have written until today and clearly this will be the last. I am tired of know nothing sports writers who Google Buffalo or use Wikipedia as a reference for bad mouthing this city they know nothing about. Bruce Mathison? Really?? that's the best you could do, the guy couldn't sling a football even in the best of conditions. Why didn't you use one of the dozens ex-bills who live in this area because they fell in love with it after living her for a while. I assume that's because it wouldn't have made for as "good" a story, what a joke.

I moved away from this city for 10 years because of the economy here but recently came back because its an amazing place to raise a family. Buffalo might not offer the crazy nightlife of larger cities but more than make up for it in my book with other things. Incredible theaters,museums, great schools, low cost of living, 4 beautiful seasons and yes, the people. Bruce Mathison said the people are different here, he's right- they are polite, concerned about others and have a sense of community that a place like San Diego or likely any other place in California wouldn't understand and I'm certain neither would you. The people here care more about this 0-7 team than anyone in San Diego gives a hoot about a bunch of underachieving do-nothings that they have in the Chargers as evidenced by the fact that the Bills still out-draw them at the gates.

Get off your high horse and do some real sports reporting instead of recyling the same old bash buffalo routine because its cold and snowy in the winter time. Don't take my word for it, why don't you get out of you office and make a trip up here and see for yourself how wrong you really are or at the very least check this out

, oh and you can feel free to quote me when you recant your garbage article that somehow your editor let you post.

Sincerely,

Sean Stuart

"Proud Buffalo Resident"

and this was his response

Sean:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write. Hugely appreciated.

The column was written tongue in cheek. I very much like Buffalo. Nice city, great people.

Most people seemed to get the sarcasm. I apologize if I offended. Not my intent.

Best, and thanks for writing in. It is appreciated.

Jeff

jeffpearlman.com

my final e-mail to him:

Just need to get it off my chest i guess, thinly veiled sarcasm at best though Jeff.....glad that you acknowledged the e-mail , nice to see.

What a tool

Grew up in WNY and have lived in San Diego for 5 years. It's apples to oranges and why compare the two cities, they're known for totally different things, it's people are vastly different. My take is the food is a push, sure I miss Wegman's but also feel that people here are more pleasant, happier in their life and have more opportunity here. If I had 3 kids maybe Id feel differently but most people I went to school with don't live in WNY due to lack of jobs and taxes, etc. aint much better out here too.

anyway, WNY-ers and Bills fan get so bent out of shape about this. Green Bay doesnt get any sheet about this because they have a GOOD football team lol. And it was more meant to be a weather low blow. Let's face is, the weather in Buffalo is absolutely depressing...many embrace it and make the most of it. You know damn well that video was filmed on the 1 sunny day a week . I'd have preferred the late November shot of grey skies and a nice gust off the Lake with sideways snow difts .....in October...and then again in April.

The best part of Merriman is a DC/Maryland guy...he'll love the canadian ballet

I also felt compelled to write this idiot after reading this story, Im tired of lazy sports writers bad mouthing Buffalo because its the best they can come up with on short notice. Here is my short e-mail exchange with him, to his credit he even responded.

Mr. Pearlman,

I have never once read an article you have written until today and clearly this will be the last. I am tired of know nothing sports writers who Google Buffalo or use Wikipedia as a reference for bad mouthing this city they know nothing about. Bruce Mathison? Really?? that's the best you could do, the guy couldn't sling a football even in the best of conditions. Why didn't you use one of the dozens ex-bills who live in this area because they fell in love with it after living her for a while. I assume that's because it wouldn't have made for as "good" a story, what a joke.

I moved away from this city for 10 years because of the economy here but recently came back because its an amazing place to raise a family. Buffalo might not offer the crazy nightlife of larger cities but more than make up for it in my book with other things. Incredible theaters,museums, great schools, low cost of living, 4 beautiful seasons and yes, the people. Bruce Mathison said the people are different here, he's right- they are polite, concerned about others and have a sense of community that a place like San Diego or likely any other place in California wouldn't understand and I'm certain neither would you. The people here care more about this 0-7 team than anyone in San Diego gives a hoot about a bunch of underachieving do-nothings that they have in the Chargers as evidenced by the fact that the Bills still out-draw them at the gates.

Get off your high horse and do some real sports reporting instead of recyling the same old bash buffalo routine because its cold and snowy in the winter time. Don't take my word for it, why don't you get out of you office and make a trip up here and see for yourself how wrong you really are or at the very least check this out youtube.com/watch?v=MT11IdWPvfc , oh and you can feel free to quote me when you recant your garbage article that somehow your editor let you post.

Sincerely,

Sean Stuart

"Proud Buffalo Resident"

Sean:

The column was written tongue in cheek. I very much like Buffalo. Nice city, great people.

Most people seemed to get the sarcasm. I apologize if I offended. Not my intent.

Jeff

jeffpearlman.com

my final e-mail to him:

Just need to get it off my chest i guess, thinly veiled sarcasm at best though Jeff.....glad that you acknowledged the e-mail , nice to see.

What a tool

Another way to insult. You're too dumb to get the sarcasm.

Buffalo is a toilet pretty much in every way compared to San Diego.

If you have spent any time in SD it is difficult to disagree.

Yep. In terms of the weather, comparing San Diego to WNY is like comparing day to night. Just got back to Northern Va. from visiting relatives in Rochester. Departed Roch. 41deg and rain/drizzle shoot-yourself dreary, arrived BWI airport, 57 and sunny. That is a big difference. Completely different vibe in a one hour plane flight.

Personally I prefer 4 seasons. I hunt, fish, snowboard and camp. So it is just a personal preference thing! I get sick of summer after a while and look forward to leaves changing, temps cooling down, Trout fishing, and hunting season to start. This makes way for the excitement of snow dropping, which leads into snowboarding, snowmobiling, everything being white and lights glowing everywhere. Then you get a little tired of winter and look forward to spring. The warming temps, everything turning green, some more trout fishing, and spring turkey hunting. I really would have to say that summer is probably my least favorite time of the year. (I do like summer just the least) So I guess it would be safe to say I would enjoy “whale’s vagina” for a short time and looking forward to coming back to NY. I am a 4 season’s guy, but I did grow up here and that’s how I was raised. Everyone is different. This writer is a giant d-bag, and is employed by S.I. nough said!

. You know damn well that video was filmed on the 1 sunny day a week . I'd have preferred the late November shot of grey skies and a nice gust off the Lake with sideways snow difts .....in October...and then again in April.

Sorry, November 6th, and I haven't seen a flake yet, much less a snowdrift. Winter ended very early this year, too.

I can't unerstand how you write a piece about the impact of a transition to a different city without even talking to that player.

Like everywhere it is all about what you like. I left buffalo long ago and wouldn't move back, but I am not a snow/winter guy and prefer a larger city like DC. I hate to think about how much better my home would be for the same price point in Buf. Trade offs....

Mr. Pearlman,

Get off your high horse and do some real sports reporting instead of recyling the same old bash buffalo routine because its cold and snowy in the winter time. Don't take my word for it, why don't you get out of you office and make a trip up here and see for yourself how wrong you really are or at the very least check this out youtube.com/watch?v=MT11IdWPvfc , oh and you can feel free to quote me when you recant your garbage article that somehow your editor let you post.

Sincerely,

Sean Stuart

"Proud Buffalo Resident"

Sean:

Jeff

jeffpearlman.com

my final e-mail to him:

What a tool

Hey Sean,

I too wrote this D-bag, and apparently he just carbon copies his response. I will include my email and his response as well:

"Paul:

Jeff

jeffpearlman.com

Dear Mr. Pearlman,

Ah, nothing like bringing out the proverbial weather-bashing of Buffalo gag (like that hasn't been pummeled to death, buried, then dug back up and run over by a bus for the past 3 decades).

What's the matter: running a tad low on substantive material?

Reading re-tread garbage like this, I have begun to wonder why nobody every complains about Canada.

Toronto is one of the top 5 largest cities in North America; yet we here no grumbling about the weather North of the border. Granted, there are alot more things to do and see in a City that size, but what about Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, and Edmonton (sorry, my knowledge of Canadian cities is limited to teams in the NHL- places where hockey belongs- contrary to cites such as Phoenix, Carolina, Tampa, etc)?

It would seem to me, that the people of those regions make the best of their situations, and live life.

Heck, I don't know why I'm looking so far North...I can't imagine downtown Green Bay, WI having anything of a Willis McGahee-style nightlife. Chicago sure is large and bustling with Progressive hacks and criminals in their government, but it didn't get the name of the Windy City for nothing. Minnesota is notably colder (note the dome where they play football), and Cleveland and its crazily famous reason tourists just flood the area every year (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) (yeah, right) are right on par with Buffalo.

I lived in Los Angeles, CA for several years, and have to say that it can be beautiful. San Diego- heaven on earth.

Well, except for the ever-present possibility of earth quakes, wild fires, mud slides (all it does in January is rain), and the constant run of illegal aliens one has to wonder what is not to love.

Home is where you make it. Every place has its problems.

And one other thing....Bruce Mathison, who?"

Edited by Red

It's warm everywhere when your team is winning... There was a time when opponents feared coming here because the Bills did not notice the cold. Guys like Kent Hull set the tone playing bare armed in December and January (remember January games?) When guys came here from other teams they would say..."it's funny how it's not as cold here as the home team but I dreaded coming in here as an opponent". There may have been bickering but whining was not allowed...it's a tone and a state of mind that comes from the top...this team lacks leaders in the locker room...

We'll know we have turned the corner when the cold is referred to as an advantage again and not a detriment.