I'm Glad Shanahan Did Not Want To Come Here

It seems like a lot of people who don't ever see the Redskins play, are chiming in here. The Skins look better than they have in some time. So, he ruffled McNabbs' feathers. Remember when Marty Schottenheimer ruffled Bruce Smiths' feathers in Washington? McNabb is in the final year of a contract, the Redskins/coach are not happy with him...same complaints that people have had about him in years. Perhaps it is Shanahan trying to motivate his QB, or Albert Haynesworth? When guys get to McNabbs stature, they are hard to motivate. He will have them back in the playoffs, sooner than later.

Who is going to play quarterback for them next year? Its not going to be McNabb. Right now they have no viable option. Eventually he is going to lose the locker room the way he is going. I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't happened already.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is, who will be his QB? McNabb looks to be one and done. Even with Cutler, the Broncos missed the playoffs his last 3 years there.

Well, Cutler was a very raw talent coming out of college. The Broncos took their lumps during those years. They had a atrocious defense, which, ultimately, was Shanahans' downfall in Denver.

I think it is funny that so many are noting that Shanahan has done a bad job with the Redskins. His approach, IMO, is exactly what the Bills need...no knock on Gailey, but I can almost guarantee you, Shanahan, had he come to Buffalo, wouldn't have wasted so much time trying to determine if Trent Edwards could play QB. He likely already had drawn his conclusion.

Shanahan is stepping into a very dysfunctional atmosphere in Washington, where there is a culture of big salaries, with little production. He is putting his stamp on the franchise. It appears, McNabb isn't in his future plans for the Skins, and Albert Haynesworth is an albatross around the franchise neck, with his ludicrous salary. MS came in, established that Haynesworth wasn't giving them the effort commensurate with his bloated salary, and made an example of him, saying, "this **** isn't going to go on here anymore, under my watch." He made an example of him, just as he is of McNabb. This is pretty much the same tact that Parcells, Belechik, and all their "disciples" taken, when they arrive in a new situation.

Well, Cutler was a very raw talent coming out of college. The Broncos took their lumps during those years. They had a atrocious defense, which, ultimately, was Shanahans' downfall in Denver.

I think it is funny that so many are noting that Shanahan has done a bad job with the Redskins. His approach, IMO, is exactly what the Bills need...no knock on Gailey, but I can almost guarantee you, Shanahan, had he come to Buffalo, wouldn't have wasted so much time trying to determine if Trent Edwards could play QB. He likely already had drawn his conclusion.

Shanahan is stepping into a very dysfunctional atmosphere in Washington, where there is a culture of big salaries, with little production. He is putting his stamp on the franchise. It appears, McNabb isn't in his future plans for the Skins, and Albert Haynesworth is an albatross around the franchise neck, with his ludicrous salary. MS came in, established that Haynesworth wasn't giving them the effort commensurate with his bloated salary, and made an example of him, saying, "this **** isn't going to go on here anymore, under my watch." He made an example of him, just as he is of McNabb. This is pretty much the same tact that Parcells, Belechik, and all their "disciples" taken, when they arrive in a new situation.

We'll see if it worked, or if he becomes a Mike Singletary.

One of the main reasons he was ran out of Denver because of his recent stint of poor drafting and reaching on players. We don't need that in Buffalo.

Honestly, I was one who wanted a "big name" coach to come to Buffalo, just because I wanted to have faith in the management of the team again after limp Dick ran this team into the ground. I realize he wasn't the only one to blame, Levy and a lack of a real GM certainly exacerbated the problem. But Jauron's lack of discipline and coaching savvy showed up on game day, regardless of whether the players liked him or not. However, I have to say, the Offense was in total disarray last year, they were absolutely HORRIBLE, and with Chan's propensity for making an Offense better, he has done just that. With many of the same players, he's getting the most out of them and they are playing much better since Trent has been run out of town and the Offense has had time to gel a little bit more. So Chan has been as advertised, and the Defense has been atrocious, but did we really believe that the Defense was going to get better or even stay the same in the first year that we changed to the 3-4?? I'm no "guru" but absolutely knew that the Defense was going to get worse before it was going to get better, simply because it was a new system and we did not have the personnel to play in such a scheme. But we're not building a Defense for THIS year or even NEXT year, but rather for the future. So it will take time for the Defense to get into proper game day shape and form. As for the Offense, we need to continue to improve in many areas but it's hard to complain with the results since Trent was let go seeing the likes of Parrish and Stevie J used more and in ways that they COULD have been used all this time. I think the remaining elements of the Offense such as the running game and getting the TEs involved in the passing game will come with time, hopefully by the end of the season. But folks we knew this was a rebuilding "process"....as for Shanahan, to hell with him!! If this is how he runs a locker room and throws his players under the bus, then let him stay in D.C. and he and the owner deserve each other. As for Chan...jury is still out, but looks like things are getting better, slowly, but getting better.

You believe that Ralph had never heard of Shanahan? What about Russ Brandon flying out to interview him?

And how about that (I remember it!) Bruce Allen?

Yeah that visit with Shanny was a stroke of genius. Bills fans like you believed the bills were really "big game hunting" and Dan Snyder believed the Bills were really in the bidding for his services.

Funny how Shanny and McDaniels both employ a similar style of very public confrontation with their franchise players. Is there method, foresight or purpose at work in all of this or are they just a couple of insecure jerks who need to show the world that they can win pi$$ing matches? Be interesting to see if Childress holds onto his job too. Looks like he's coming apart.

Yeah that visit with Shanny was a stroke of genius. Bills fans like you believed the bills were really "big game hunting" and Dan Snyder believed the Bills were really in the bidding for his services.

Just because they didn't get him, it doesn't mean they didn't try. But give me the link to that jw piece.

I remember in the off season we wanted Shanahan we wanted Mcnabb we wanted Martz & looking at what has transpired on those teams i feel pretty good with the guy that when chosen most every fan on this site dissed !!

It's really funny how hind sight brings it all into perspective . Sure we ain't doing so great record wise but i think the team is buying what Gailey is selling .

And i definitely think we are light years ahead of what Jauron was doing . But seeing what Perry is doing in N.Y. makes me wonder ------- WHAT IF ????? Because the guys played there guts out for him !!!!

4 playoff appearances, with the last one making the AFC Championship game with an erratic QB named Plummer.

I was all for Shanahan until I heard the reason he was let go in Denver was due to his ever increasing desire and demand the organization go out and sign every high priced FA.

And isn't he one of the few coaches to have a winning record vs. BB and the Pats? If so, why in the world would we ever want that guy to be the HC of the Buffalo Bills?

15 years as HC, 10 playoff appearances, 9 division Champs, 2 SB appearances, 1 SB title.

What an a**hole.

Ok, you got me with this one.

Cynical - Excellent spot on response. :thumbsup:

Are you trying to imply that Bruce Allen sat on his hands and did nothing to change the roster? That he went to sleep during free agency?

Oh, he changed the roster. As did Nix. But have the changes resulted in anything meaningful?

While I am disappointed with the Bills not landing a big name head coach like Cowher, Billick etc, I'm glad we are not wasting money with the 10 million dollar man Shanahan. He is seriously mismanaging his players and I don't see much improvement from the redskins from previous years.

While Chan is not perfect (no coach is) I think he is doing a commendable job so far even though our record does not reflect it. We have serious flaws with our players, the talent is just not there. The bright spot is that Gailey is showing he can build an offense which he is touted as doing in the past...now if we can start improving on the defense. Let's all hope Nix nails this draft!

GO BILLS!

Yeah we wouldn't want a coach who won back to back super bowls. No, not here. We love our 0-7 coach.

Yes, I would hate to be 4-4 right now with a chance at a playoff birth. Why on earth would we want Shanahan? Those winning coaches have no place here. Agreed, Mike Shanahan has more talent than Chan Gailey. A big reason for that is because players have heard of Mike Shanahan. Call me crazy, but Donovan McNabb, Jamaal Brown, Trent Williams in one offseason? To me that is building a team properly. CJ Spiller, Torell Troup, and a group of journeymen linebackers is not how you build a success. Our first two draft picks barely see the field. We certainly do not have the depth to draft players that early who are not going to play.

Yes, I would hate to be 4-4 right now with a chance at a playoff birth. Why on earth would we want Shanahan? Those winning coaches have no place here. Agreed, Mike Shanahan has more talent than Chan Gailey. A big reason for that is because players have heard of Mike Shanahan. Call me crazy, but Donovan McNabb, Jamaal Brown, Trent Williams in one offseason? To me that is building a team properly. CJ Spiller, Torell Troup, and a group of journeymen linebackers is not how you build a success. Our first two draft picks barely see the field. We certainly do not have the depth to draft players that early who are not going to play.

The McNabb move was a horrible idea especially if they rebuilding which they claim they are doing. Give up a draft pick for a one year, over the hill player. McNabb will NOT be a Redskin next year. How do you think Washington is going to be in the next few years when they do not have a quarterback? Oh yeah, mediocre. Shanahan is not changing anything there, I see mostly BAD decisions being made in Washington.

McNabb went to Washington to be in the same division as the Eagles. I've heard some rumors that may not be working out too well.

Their division is not what is used to be either. The Jets, Dolphins and Patriots have been seen as contenders since last season ended.

The Bills face one of the toughest schedules in the NFL this year.

I'm not 'glad' he didn't come here, but I'm not dismayed or upset that he didn't. I don't think the Bills have much more success with him than they do with Gailey. I wanted Shanhahan because I felt the Bills biggest problem was they lacked the connections in the organization to reach out and acquire quality personnel such as coordinators and coaches. I felt Shanahand provided instant credibility to the franchise.

I think Whaley addresses that somewhat, but they're going to have to work for a couple years to prove competence before I think they can start to repair those relationships.

McNabb made the Redskins a contender the second he walked through the door. Not to mention he is 8 games into a totally new system, with new coaches, and new teamates after playing in the same system for 12 years or so. The redskins won 4 games all year last year. They have already matched that total half way through the season. I don't know if I am blind or stupid, but to me that seems like a vastly improved team due to Donovan and Shanahan. The skins are two heartbreaking losses away from being 6-2, and the talk of the NFL. I certainly would rather be in the Redskins position right now than the Bills. Also, trading away a draft pick for Donovan McNabb is not too steep. I wouldn't but too high a value on a FIRST ROUND Buffalo Bills draft pick, let alone 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. (ie. Maybin, McCargo, Troup, Losman, Trent, Lynch, etc etc etc etc)

WELL SAID JEREMY! As a free agent linebacker, wide receiver, left tackle, or defensive end what sounds more attractive? Donovan McNabb, Mike Shanahan, and an actual shot at a post season, or Ryan Fitzpatrick/Brian Brohm, Coach Chan Gailey, and a franchise that hasn't made the playoffs in over a decade. McNabb and Shanahan do not just bring wins to a franchise (although they do that), but they bring credibility. They show players, and coaches out there that there is a commitment to winning in Buffalo. Free agents know that guys like McNabb, and Shanahan are in a city to win a championship, not just to collect a paycheck. Those type of guys can get a paycheck anywhere. Its their commitment, and history of winning that makes them attractive!