My Meaningless Opinion

R. Rich

Another overtime loss. Wow. As Don Johnson's character said to Kevin Costner's character in the movie Tin Cup: "I gotta hand it to you. When you go down, you go down in flames." This very well could be the one thing the Bills are the best in the league @ doing: finding ways to lose games.

First off, Ryan Fitzpatrick. Sure, he did a good job of leading the Bills down the field to tie the game up. Good job on that. Still, there were the typical overthrows (the Spiller play comes to mind; how's that for a Halloween scare?) and the customary, "Why the **#! did I throw that pass?" interception. Okay, that one did slip out of his hand Garo Ypremian-style. Still, there were others that were boneheaded throws that the Chiefs failed to come up w/ but were thrown right to 'em. Those cannot be blamed on a "slip." He has to show better judgment when looking down the field. He also needs to be more composed in the face of a rush. This, folks, was the difference 'tween the Ravens' strategy last week and the Chiefs' strategy this week. While Baltimore, for some stupid reason, chose not to pressure Fitzpatrick, the Chiefs let 'em have it. And Fitz failed to handle the situation w/ composure. It's as I have been saying; the guy has tons of heart and is a good backup, but the Bills need to have more from the QB position in terms of a starter.

Fred Jackson ran hard 2 times, but also ran not-so-smart other times (overshot his blockers on a play to the left side that appeared to have been one where they would've had a nice gain). All he needs is just a little patience (that sounds nice; I should write a song w/ those lyrics) in those circumstances and let the big guys do their job. C.J. Spiller had limited action (again; uh, Chan?) and did little. I would love to see him used more w/ Jackson as a flanker type ala Reggie Bush. This could create those mismatches that the Bills could benefit from, especially w/ the production they are getting from the wideouts of late. If this guy has the ability to create the sort of offensive spark that the Bills organization said he could when they drafted 'em, then it's up to these guys to put him in position to do more. What they're getting from Spiller is simply not cutting it. Let's put the plan in motion, coaches.

The receivers didn't play as well as they had against the Ravens, but w/ the constant pressure the Chiefs were bringing, it was tough for any passing game to get established. David Nelson made some nice catches as the Bills attempted to get the passing game going late by spreading the Chiefs out to neutralize the rush. Steve Johnson, last week's big hero of this unit, did make a TD catch, but was kept in check for most of the game otherwise. Same w/ Lee Evans, who did make some noise on the game tying drive and in OT. The guy I was impressed w/ was Roscoe Parrish, who has really done a good job of coming up w/ tough catches and finding ways to get open to sustain drives. Still nothing from the tight end position. This has got to be addressed this offseason. Whether they go after a franchise QB in the draft or stick w/ Fitzpatrick, a dependable receiving option and capable blocker @ the tight end position should be a high priority for the Bills.

Looks like a big step back for the offensieve line. Cordaro Howard looked every bit as bad this week as he looked promising last week. Three sacks given up? Yikes. The motion penalty sucked, but this was a nip 'n tuck game being played @ Arrowhead, so I can see where it may get loud enough for someone to screw up the snap count. But his run blocking also looked bad. Andy Studebaker looked like Clay Matthews coming off the left side! Ugh. Howard and Demetrius Bell got handled by Tamba Hali, who was just disruptive all game long. The Bills had no answer for the guy. His constant pressure allowed the Chiefs front seven to keep the pressure on Fitzpatrick all game long. The middle of the line, in terms of pass protection, didn't look quite as horrible as Howard, but wasn't stellar either. Geoff Hangartner had his hands full w/ Ron Edwards (yes, the same Ron Edwards the Bills jettisoned years ago) while Wallace Gilberry had his way w/ Bell and Eric Wood. Oh yeah, Gilberry was making his FIRST career start on Sunday. Wow. Wood has looked pretty timid for a guy who was drafted to give this O line the kind of fiesty bada** they have lacked in recent years. He's certainly no John Davis, that's for sure. Talk 'bout a bada** guard coming back from a major injury! I sure miss those days.

The defensive line wasn't great, but they had their moments. What do I mean? Well, there was one play in the 2nd quarter where Dwan Edwards was left hanging. I'll explain: it was a running play to the left side. Edwards strung the blocker out wide, forcing the action back to the inside, where the linebackers were playing the gaps (instead of being wider than the DE, they lined up inside of the DE). That should've meant a bone crushing tackle once the cutback was made, right? Uh....no. The linebacker was nowhere to be found, as he was engulfed by a block that was far from impressive. It was a waste of a great effort by Edwards to neutralize the play. Kyle Williams may need surgery, as he seemed to play his guts out all over the field. As I've said numerous times; he's all heart. Imagine his tenacity coupled w/ Albert Haynesworth's talent......scary! Williams came up w/ a sack and worked to make plays @ or behind the line of scrimmage, something I had thought was a lost art w/ the Bills' front seven. Props for a great game. Marcus Stroud actually had a decent game too. Not nearly as many of those, "blast 'em off the line and out of the play" type plays from Stroud this week. Torell Troup got some time in but didn't really do much damage. I still would love to see more reps from Troup to develop 'em into a lane clogging NT. Considering the huge rush total the Chiefs had, it's easy to say these guys just flat out sucked. Looking more into it, though, that's not entirely the case. They need so much more in terms of support from...

Again, the linebackers were putrid. Remember the play I mentioned where Edwards strung the play out but the linebacker couldn't close it? The linebacker in question was one Reggie Torbor. On that play, he looked confused off the snap, took off to the inside, realized it was going outside, and then ran right into a timid block....that he couldn't shed!!!! Paul Posluszny, a TBD whipping boy, was the top performer of this group, but that's not a ringing endorsement these days. Still, he did look a bit better in his pursuit and did help shut down a third and short play. He also was better in his pass coverage. Really, he was! As for the rest of 'em.....awful. Akin Ayodele, Andra Davis, Torbor, and Chris Kelsay in particular were non factors in defending the run. Did you see the gigantic rush lanes to the outside? They also came up short in defending the short pass (again). Especially in overtime, when rookie Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki was able to get open and make the defense pay. He had 15 yards per catch and really impressed me as a blocker too. He looks to be a good one. I think this is going to be the case 'til the Bills upgrade the talent in the LB unit. We have 9 more games of, "same as it ever was" to look forward to outta these guys, it seems.

The secondary represented a bit better this week. Thank goodness. Leodis McKelvin looked better in run support (didn't he, Matt Cassel?) and also held his own in coverage. Donte Whitner, another TBD whipping boy, was okay. Still no splash plays, but this guy isn't Troy Polamalu or even Eric Berry, who looks to be a star on the rise. He's solid but not spectacular, as he was on Sunday. George Wilson got some run and missed a pick six. Drayton Florence got beat for another score (when Bowe caught the one yarder), but was okay in coverage for the most part. Bryan Scott and Jairus Byrd also helped keep things in check coverage wise. Byrd is improving in run support, but still has plenty of room to improve.

The kicking game was okay overall. Brian Moorman's punt were short for most of the day, but he was mostly going to pin the Chiefs inside the 20. I thought the decision to punt toward the sideline and not let the Chiefs return it in overtime was a good decision, but a bad punt (a 26 yarder). Rian Lindell's second attempt @ the game winner was oh so close, but no good. As bad as that wind was kicking up, the fact that he got a pair of 53 yard kicks up and had the accuracy too was impressive. Parrish's return late looked to be just what the doctor ordered (and what has victimized the Bills in games past): a great start to set the Bills up w/ good field position. But, Fitzpatrick threw the pick to Berry and that squashed it. Spiller couldn't find any room to get clear on kick returns. Something for Bruce DeHaven to work on?

Hey Chan, could you please find a way to get Spiller on the field more? Please?! Also, you may have wanted to run the ball a bit more. Could've taken pressure off of Fitzpatrick, who had Tamba Hali draped all over 'em, and the O line. And what's w/ the defensive flip flopping? If the 3-4 isn't working, stick w/ the 4-3. If you think you can get something done w/ the 3-4, then work to put the guys in the right spots for this to happen. But make a decision either way.

And so, the Bills are now 0-7. I want to believe they won't go winless, but I am waiting for the scenario to take place where they can get a win. Other team playing poorly while you're playing well? Nah, didn't work last week. Get a bunch of turnovers early? Uh uh; blew the Jacksonville game that started just that way. Play well enough to be in a close game late to where you can make a few plays and come up w/ a win? Well, that was this week, and they couldn't do it. I will remain ever so faithful that the Bills will figure it out. But if they don't...

I can't emphasize this enough. The Baltimore Ravens have had a terrible time getting to the QB this year (any QB, unless they bring the house). Ask any Ravens beat reporter, blogger or fan. The Bills O-line fared better in pass protection because of that. The Ravens are not the Jets or KC for that matter when it comes to pressuring the QB. The Chiefs D is faster and got pressure even without blitzing. I don't care what the stats say, the Chiefs D is better than Baltimore's imo. So it wasn't a shocker that Fitz and the O had more trouble. Fitz had a so so game but i was still impressed at the number of 3rd (and 4th) down conversions he made. Probably more in the past 2 weeks than Trent had in his last 15 starts.

My response to your meaningless opinion (which you know I dont consider meaningless Rich..:)

- What that showed me is that Fitz might HAVE what it takes.....when he has a bit more time he makes good decisions and he isn't afraid to throw the ball into tight spots....by the way.....I think that fans are just going to have to live with either "throwing the safe pass and having a anemic offense" or letting Fitz be a gunslinger and living with a bonehead interception here and there. I think he gets into a real groove throwing the ball though when he DOES get time. I thought Bell did a good job, Cordero is not, Levitre is up and down, and Wood is not all the way back from that injury....Wood just does not look sure of himself and is not as mobile as last year and it shows. He needs to be at Center where this is masked and he can be the steady force of the offensive line. We need to bring in a quality right guard and we DEF need a solid Right Tackle. You do those things and you might see a Fitz who consistantly puts up touchdowns and 300 yard games with less picks.

- Our linebackers are HORRIBLE.....especially on the outside. and yes our Defensive Coordinator is not good. What people have to understand in a 3-4 is that your down linemen are usually not the guys making the plays....it is those FOUR linebackers that have to be scraping down the line of scrimmage and making those tackles....and our linebackers are not getting off their blocks or are out of position the majority of the time. If we are going to stick with the 3-4 we need MONSTER STUD linebackers....the flop of Aaron Maybin really sets this team back what a miss that was.

- Chris Kelsay needs to give that money back.....oh god is he horrible.

One of the things I really noticed about the Chiefs is these guys TACKLE....they are not out there just laying big hits on guys....when a defender locks onto a offensive player...they stay locked onto them....somebody in that coaching staff is in their ear every day on the importance of wrapping up.

My meaningless addition would be that Fitz didn't have much time to throw. He made some nice passes and some not so nice, but he was running for his life. He did get us the TD for the tie.

The defense played well I thought. Only giving up 13 points in 75 minutes to a top NFL offense is good. Would have been nice to see them stiffen up on that last drive, but all in all, a good performance.

I put the blame on the loss where it obviously should go. Rian Lindell. The offense got him into positon with a makable kick. He made it the first time and the second was long enough, but he botched it. Lindell makes that kick and we win and everyone is happy, except of course the 0-16 crowd.

Another overtime loss. Wow. As Don Johnson's character said to Kevin Costner's character in the movie Tin Cup: "I gotta hand it to you. When you go down, you go down in flames." This very well could be the one thing the Bills are the best in the league @ doing: finding ways to lose games.

And so, the Bills are now 0-7. I want to believe they won't go winless, but I am waiting for the scenario to take place where they can get a win. Other team playing poorly while you're playing well? Nah, didn't work last week. Get a bunch of turnovers early? Uh uh; blew the Jacksonville game that started just that way. Play well enough to be in a close game late to where you can make a few plays and come up w/ a win? Well, that was this week, and they couldn't do it. I will remain ever so faithful that the Bills will figure it out. But if they don't...

Great analysis R.R! These 2 paragraphs scare the hell outta me!

...the offensieve line...

Haha.

As far as our TE talent goes, I'm sure everyone here would agree that we need something of an upgrade. But unless a very high value TE comes along early in second or third round (anyone have insight into prospects at TE?), can we really justify taking a TE instead of OT, LB, or DL? Thoughts?

Also, as far as your punting comments: ZERO punts inside the 20 (according to NFL.com). In the past couple years, when we'd bring in the punting unit, I think to myself "Ah, excellent, play to our strengths..." but I haven't found myself thinking that these past few weeks here...

I put the blame on the loss where it obviously should go. Rian Lindell. The offense got him into positon with a makable kick. He made it the first time and the second was long enough, but he botched it. Lindell makes that kick and we win and everyone is happy, except of course the 0-16 crowd.

Wow, really?

How about Fitz missing Spiller in the endzone? Things Rich talked about above, getting Spiller on a LB split out, a matchup Chan sets up and Spiller wins, and Fitz can't put the what, 30-40 yard throw, somewhere close enough to Splller to even TOUCH, and you want to blame a kicker from 53 yards? Okay, whatever. It's a team game dude, and there is plenty of blame to go around.

I for one would like to see what Chan can do with a bona fide starting qb. Fitz is nice as a backup, but his technique breaks down when there's pressure (and sometimes without any pressure). I can see them taking a chance on a qb this year even if Luck doesn't come out, maybe taking one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Great post, as usual. Thanks.

First off, Ryan Fitzpatrick. Sure, he did a good job of leading the Bills down the field to tie the game up. Good job on that. Still, there were the typical overthrows (the Spiller play comes to mind; how's that for a Halloween scare?) and the customary, "Why the **#! did I throw that pass?" interception. Okay, that one did slip out of his hand Garo Ypremian-style. Still, there were others that were boneheaded throws that the Chiefs failed to come up w/ but were thrown right to 'em. Those cannot be blamed on a "slip." He has to show better judgment when looking down the field. He also needs to be more composed in the face of a rush. This, folks, was the difference 'tween the Ravens' strategy last week and the Chiefs' strategy this week. While Baltimore, for some stupid reason, chose not to pressure Fitzpatrick, the Chiefs let 'em have it. And Fitz failed to handle the situation w/ composure. It's as I have been saying; the guy has tons of heart and is a good backup, but the Bills need to have more from the QB position in terms of a starter.

Fred Jackson ran hard 2 times, but also ran not-so-smart other times (overshot his blockers on a play to the left side that appeared to have been one where they would've had a nice gain). All he needs is just a little patience (that sounds nice; I should write a song w/ those lyrics) in those circumstances and let the big guys do their job. C.J. Spiller had limited action (again; uh, Chan?) and did little. I would love to see him used more w/ Jackson as a flanker type ala Reggie Bush. This could create those mismatches that the Bills could benefit from, especially w/ the production they are getting from the wideouts of late. If this guy has the ability to create the sort of offensive spark that the Bills organization said he could when they drafted 'em, then it's up to these guys to put him in position to do more. What they're getting from Spiller is simply not cutting it. Let's put the plan in motion, coaches.

The receivers didn't play as well as they had against the Ravens, but w/ the constant pressure the Chiefs were bringing, it was tough for any passing game to get established. David Nelson made some nice catches as the Bills attempted to get the passing game going late by spreading the Chiefs out to neutralize the rush. Steve Johnson, last week's big hero of this unit, did make a TD catch, but was kept in check for most of the game otherwise. Same w/ Lee Evans, who did make some noise on the game tying drive and in OT. The guy I was impressed w/ was Roscoe Parrish, who has really done a good job of coming up w/ tough catches and finding ways to get open to sustain drives. Still nothing from the tight end position. This has got to be addressed this offseason. Whether they go after a franchise QB in the draft or stick w/ Fitzpatrick, a dependable receiving option and capable blocker @ the tight end position should be a high priority for the Bills.

Looks like a big step back for the offensieve line. Cordaro Howard looked every bit as bad this week as he looked promising last week. Three sacks given up? Yikes. The motion penalty sucked, but this was a nip 'n tuck game being played @ Arrowhead, so I can see where it may get loud enough for someone to screw up the snap count. But his run blocking also looked bad. Andy Studebaker looked like Clay Matthews coming off the left side! Ugh. Howard and Demetrius Bell got handled by Tamba Hali, who was just disruptive all game long. The Bills had no answer for the guy. His constant pressure allowed the Chiefs front seven to keep the pressure on Fitzpatrick all game long. The middle of the line, in terms of pass protection, didn't look quite as horrible as Howard, but wasn't stellar either. Geoff Hangartner had his hands full w/ Ron Edwards (yes, the same Ron Edwards the Bills jettisoned years ago) while Wallace Gilberry had his way w/ Bell and Eric Wood. Oh yeah, Gilberry was making his FIRST career start on Sunday. Wow. Wood has looked pretty timid for a guy who was drafted to give this O line the kind of fiesty bada** they have lacked in recent years. He's certainly no John Davis, that's for sure. Talk 'bout a bada** guard coming back from a major injury! I sure miss those days.

The defensive line wasn't great, but they had their moments. What do I mean? Well, there was one play in the 2nd quarter where Dwan Edwards was left hanging. I'll explain: it was a running play to the left side. Edwards strung the blocker out wide, forcing the action back to the inside, where the linebackers were playing the gaps (instead of being wider than the DE, they lined up inside of the DE). That should've meant a bone crushing tackle once the cutback was made, right? Uh....no. The linebacker was nowhere to be found, as he was engulfed by a block that was far from impressive. It was a waste of a great effort by Edwards to neutralize the play. Kyle Williams may need surgery, as he seemed to play his guts out all over the field. As I've said numerous times; he's all heart. Imagine his tenacity coupled w/ Albert Haynesworth's talent......scary! Williams came up w/ a sack and worked to make plays @ or behind the line of scrimmage, something I had thought was a lost art w/ the Bills' front seven. Props for a great game. Marcus Stroud actually had a decent game too. Not nearly as many of those, "blast 'em off the line and out of the play" type plays from Stroud this week. Torell Troup got some time in but didn't really do much damage. I still would love to see more reps from Troup to develop 'em into a lane clogging NT. Considering the huge rush total the Chiefs had, it's easy to say these guys just flat out sucked. Looking more into it, though, that's not entirely the case. They need so much more in terms of support from...

Again, the linebackers were putrid. Remember the play I mentioned where Edwards strung the play out but the linebacker couldn't close it? The linebacker in question was one Reggie Torbor. On that play, he looked confused off the snap, took off to the inside, realized it was going outside, and then ran right into a timid block....that he couldn't shed!!!! Paul Posluszny, a TBD whipping boy, was the top performer of this group, but that's not a ringing endorsement these days. Still, he did look a bit better in his pursuit and did help shut down a third and short play. He also was better in his pass coverage. Really, he was! As for the rest of 'em.....awful. Akin Ayodele, Andra Davis, Torbor, and Chris Kelsay in particular were non factors in defending the run. Did you see the gigantic rush lanes to the outside? They also came up short in defending the short pass (again). Especially in overtime, when rookie Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki was able to get open and make the defense pay. He had 15 yards per catch and really impressed me as a blocker too. He looks to be a good one. I think this is going to be the case 'til the Bills upgrade the talent in the LB unit. We have 9 more games of, "same as it ever was" to look forward to outta these guys, it seems.

The secondary represented a bit better this week. Thank goodness. Leodis McKelvin looked better in run support (didn't he, Matt Cassel?) and also held his own in coverage. Donte Whitner, another TBD whipping boy, was okay. Still no splash plays, but this guy isn't Troy Polamalu or even Eric Berry, who looks to be a star on the rise. He's solid but not spectacular, as he was on Sunday. George Wilson got some run and missed a pick six. Drayton Florence got beat for another score (when Bowe caught the one yarder), but was okay in coverage for the most part. Bryan Scott and Jairus Byrd also helped keep things in check coverage wise. Byrd is improving in run support, but still has plenty of room to improve.

The kicking game was okay overall. Brian Moorman's punt were short for most of the day, but he was mostly going to pin the Chiefs inside the 20. I thought the decision to punt toward the sideline and not let the Chiefs return it in overtime was a good decision, but a bad punt (a 26 yarder). Rian Lindell's second attempt @ the game winner was oh so close, but no good. As bad as that wind was kicking up, the fact that he got a pair of 53 yard kicks up and had the accuracy too was impressive. Parrish's return late looked to be just what the doctor ordered (and what has victimized the Bills in games past): a great start to set the Bills up w/ good field position. But, Fitzpatrick threw the pick to Berry and that squashed it. Spiller couldn't find any room to get clear on kick returns. Something for Bruce DeHaven to work on?

Hey Chan, could you please find a way to get Spiller on the field more? Please?! Also, you may have wanted to run the ball a bit more. Could've taken pressure off of Fitzpatrick, who had Tamba Hali draped all over 'em, and the O line. And what's w/ the defensive flip flopping? If the 3-4 isn't working, stick w/ the 4-3. If you think you can get something done w/ the 3-4, then work to put the guys in the right spots for this to happen. But make a decision either way.