Shawne Merriman on waivers

Amstel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's that?

If you're thinking Shawne Merriman, then prepare to riot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nix pass on him, thinking that he's done and doesn't really fit into the future plans. Plus, if he has some "inside info" from San Diego as some people say, then maybe there's something that proves to Buddy that he's not worth a shot.

If Gailey wants to win, he must see we need an OLB who can stop the run and cover a TE

Kelsay ain't it.

If he's really, as some say, playing for a high draft choice....nevah mind

I believe the Bills will claim Merriman. I have been following this story for a while (they announced that they would release him when he cleared his physical a few weeks ago). This is not a case of San Diego losing faith in him in any way shape or form. This is identical to the Bills release of Kawika Mitchell. Both players got semi serious injuries early in the season and both teams decided that they could not afford to take up a roster spot for most of the season with an injured player especially since there is no way to know for sure if they will heal up quickly enough to come back this year. So both the Bills and the Chargers put solid LB's on IR even though their injuries were not season ending (and not even close to career ending). coincidentally both players finished 2009 on IR so they were kind of sick of sitting on the sidelines. Both players asked their team management if they could be released to waivers should they become healthy enough to play before the season is over. That is exactly what has happened. Mitchell however is nowhere near the caliber player that Merriman is. Merriman is EXACTLY what the Bills defense needs right now. A beast of a Linebacker like that could dramatically change the performance of this defense. Last year this secondary was one of the tops in the league. They still are not allowing a lot of yards in the air (mostly because teams are running so easily, why pass? especially against a team that is actually loaded with Ball hawks). Merriman comes in, adds a serious pass rush threat, helps close up the run game (even a little) and the Bills Defense will look significantly better, it doesn't take much to improve from here. But if they can force a few turnovers and slow down the running game a bit, the offense is good enough to win some games. just hopefully not too many because we need a seriously high draft pick.

PLEASE Take a chance on SM...It cannot be a financial issue $1.6 mil pro rated...comp draft pick if he leaves after the season...Potential of the player to EARN his way back to the Pro bowl...NO REASON to not take the chance.

3 time probowler, only 26, some injury problems the last couple of years, some concern about steroid use, issues with off field playboy lifestyle.

I see a young man with a lot to prove still. Made some mistakes, but appears healthy and ready to move forward now. I'd say he's definitely worth bringing in. He had 39.5 sacks in his first 3 seasons in the NFL! Go get 'em Buddy!

3 time probowler, only 26, some injury problems the last couple of years, some concern about steroid use, issues with off field playboy lifestyle.

I see a young man with a lot to prove still. Made some mistakes, but appears healthy and ready to move forward now. I'd say he's definitely worth bringing in. He had 39.5 sacks in his first 3 seasons in the NFL! Go get 'em Buddy!

The words and phrasing you use is reminiscent of "Agent Speak" (buls#!t), and the steroid reference is funny-"some concern", what aspect are you concerned about, his inability to mask his use?

There is something wrong with him. It might be physical, but more likely it is mental (often even more difficult to overcome). He's a d-bag, and he has been a huge headache to the Chargers Org.

The words and phrasing you use is reminiscent of "Agent Speak" (buls#!t), and the steroid reference is funny-"some concern", what aspect are you concerned about, his inability to mask his use?

There is something wrong with him. It might be physical, but more likely it is mental (often even more difficult to overcome). He's a d-bag, and he has been a huge headache to the Chargers Org.

I'm just looking at the positives and negatives. I really don't know that much about him except I remember when he was leading the NFL in sacks. The bad stuff is something that I have only learned of today while searching for info on him and can't say that I would label him a d-bag...yet, maybe never.......hopefully never.

Nope, he can still play...this is a money deal!

No he can't, thats why they are giving up on him, his knee is done after the last injury and the 'roids have made him a shell of the player he was at his prime.

People need to seriously look at what he's done since the bust and not at what he did before.

NOTHING TO LOOSE!!! Or maybe we will just keep waiting for maybin to show up!

SM can also teach the young guys a thing or two! And hopefully kelsay can sit the bench where he belongs!!

Some dance moves or where to inject the needle?

I'm just looking at the positives and negatives. I really don't know that much about him except I remember when he was leading the NFL in sacks. The bad stuff is something that I have only learned of today while searching for info on him and can't say that I would label him a d-bag...yet, maybe never.......hopefully never.

assaulted his girlfriend at he time (Tila Tequila) in a possible fit of roid rage, definitly not a d-bag. Atleast he didn't assualt a dog!

He has never been the same now that he is off the 'roids and has been an injured shell of himself now that he isn't juicing.

Gee, and I read it as skimming over the negatives and pointing hard at the positives. Up With People!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4mTTigqTSA

He fell in the draft because he was considered a problemed guy. He held out before his rookie year and really pissed off the Chargers and their fans (I know there are many rookie holdouts, but his was particularly silly), he made a big impact as a rookie, and proceeded to embody all the worst qualities associated with "talented but troubled" players. Pretty much a continous pain in the a&& to the Chargers (I don't think he was real popular with his teammates either), and hasn't shown a hint that he is any more mature now than he was when he was a rookie. I will call him a D-bag. On top of all this, he hasn't played well in years, even when he has been able to get onto the field.

He has been no work and all drama. I didn't mind the Terrell Owens signing, and I'm not uptight about behavior (or PED's, jeez, the NFL is fueled by them), I just don't think he will benefit them, and instead, believe he would make himself a real niusance, because I think he gets off on doing those kinds of things.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Could you imagine the impact that Shawn Merriman and Randy Moss "could" make if the Bills were able to get both waived players? Maybe it wouldn't work out, but it's probably a pipe dream with Mr. Wilson having closed zippers on his pants!!

But, I bet you could get a draft pick for each player at the season's conclusion and that would really go a long way to help our "draft our future mentality"...Think about it??????

Just because an NFL player has a widely recognizable name doesn't make him a good fit on all teams. There is a reason why the Patriots traded him , and there is a reason why the Vikings , who are pretty much in a "make it or break it" year , waived him after FOUR games. I don't want that cancer (Moss) affecting our team..our very young team. Its not gonna happen anyways.

Merriman on the otherhand... high reward low risk. Bring him in , sign him to a 2-3 year incentive laden contract , and see what he can do.

There's a youth movement afoot in Buffalo and it doesn't include guys like Merriman. Buddy Gailey like their guys and infusing the roster with formerly successful but finished veterans doesn't help the rebuild process.

A youth movement that doesn't have room for a 26 year old linebacker?

Gee, and I read it as skimming over the negatives and pointing hard at the positives. Up With People!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4mTTigqTSA

He fell in the draft because he was considered a problemed guy. He held out before his rookie year and really pissed off the Chargers and their fans (I know there are many rookie holdouts, but his was particularly silly), he made a big impact as a rookie, and proceeded to embody all the worst qualities associated with "talented but troubled" players. Pretty much a continous pain in the a&& to the Chargers (I don't think he was real popular with his teammates either), and hasn't shown a hint that he is any more mature now than he was when he was a rookie. I will call him a D-bag. On top of all this, he hasn't played well in years, even when he has been able to get onto the field.

He has been no work and all drama. I didn't mind the Terrell Owens signing, and I'm not uptight about behavior (or PED's, jeez, the NFL is fueled by them), I just don't think he will benefit them, and instead, believe he would make himself a real niusance, because I think he gets off on doing those kinds of things.

Well stated, yet with the shape the Bills LB corps is in, it's risk that still may be worth taking. This could be a wake up call for Merriman. If not, little lost in finding out.

Edited by Spiderweb

assaulted his girlfriend at he time (Tila Tequila) in a possible fit of roid rage, definitly not a d-bag. Atleast he didn't assualt a dog!

You're using the "testimony" of a trashy slut/actress with a penchant for lying as a way of convicting Merriman (even though cops didn't as there was no EVIDENCE OF ASSAULT) as a the reason not to sign him?

Sweet Jeebus....

I'd rather have a "has-been" in Merriman playing OLB instead of a "never-was" like Chris Kelsay.

Well stated, yet with the shape the Bills LB corps is in, it's risk that still may be worth taking. This could be a wake up call for Merriman. If not, little lost in finding out.

I understand the interest, but I don't think Gailey and the Gang need to be wasting energy on someone that could be very demanding of both time and energy. He would only be signed for this season, and this season isn't about wins so much as it is about shaping the team/changing the culture. Merriman, so far (cough) hasn't shown himself to be a positive influence in those areas.

You're using the "testimony" of a trashy slut/actress with a penchant for lying as a way of convicting Merriman (even though cops didn't as there was no EVIDENCE OF ASSAULT) as a the reason not to sign him?

Sweet Jeebus....

I'd rather have a "has-been" in Merriman playing OLB instead of a "never-was" like Chris Kelsay.

That's what merriman chose to associate with (and don't tell me there aren't plenty of "chicks" just as "hot", that he couldn't have been with. He chose her for her celebrity). When you combine these bad decisions with all the other stupidity, it's not too difficult to reach the conclusion that he's a troubled idiot.

Edited by Matthews' Bag