Bills to sign Thaddeus Gibson?

Fingon

steelers.com (via twitter, the @steelersdigest on the middle right of the page) has him picked up by the niners.

http://www.steelers.com/

i thought teams had to 4 pm tomorrow to make claims? So maybe the Niners have made a claim, but the Bills still have time if they want to claim this guy?? As mentioned, I do not know this guy, he could be the next Maybin or the next Talley for all I know.

Edited by plenzmd1

steelers.com (via twitter, the @steelersdigest on the middle right of the page) has him picked up by the niners.

http://www.steelers.com/

I may be wrong, but at this point I believe that only means the 49ers have put in a claim for him. As far as I understand, all the week's games must be played until the final decision is made, and the deadline for other teams to also put in a claim is Tuesday at 4pm.

Edited by Punch

I may be wrong, but at this point I believe that only means the 49ers have put in a claim for him. As far as I understand, all the week's games must be played until the final decision is made, and the deadline for other teams to also put in a claim is Tuesday at 4pm.

the Eagles also put in a claim but the 49ers have less wins...

According to Profootballtalk San Fran has claimed him. Damn! Another instance where our F.O. was asleep on making this team better. They'll pay Kelsay monopoly money but they won't offer a spot on the squad for a young guy whose talent seems way better fit for the 3-4 than the likes of what we have. There is really no excuse for this kind of garbage oversights our F.O. has made this season. Other instances - Darius Alexander (I think that is his name?) who the Rams picked up - available for the taking and looks like he'll be a good one, and we didn't even go after him. Cameron Wake. These are the kinds of players an active F.O. with needs at those positions would be looking into. It shouldn't keep happening that these finds are going right over our heads. It seems like our staff (one of the highest number of scouting personnel in the league, by the way) is just content to wait and go to the draft and not look into these unfound talents and trades, etc. The Marshawn trade was another example - we could've gotten more for him, there were good teams in need of a running back who would've given up at least a 3rd for a three year 1st round running back who is young and talented.

It's beginning to look like we might have to cross our fingers and just pray we get lucky and good players come to us or fall into our laps, because these slackers at OBD surely aren't looking under every rock - and if they are then they can't see the obvious talent that even some of us at home can recognize.

the Eagles also put in a claim but the 49ers have less wins...

I understand how the priority system works but I mistakenly thought all of the week's games needed to be played before the process was finalized. I remembered the claim deadline for Trent was a Tuesday... but he was also released that same Tuesday and not the Monday before. Anyway, I was hoping the Bills would claim him, but a I said earlier, he's a "tweener" like Moats and Coleman. It's odd that Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (a terrific reporter) had speculated that the Bills might put in a claim because of Doug Whaley, considering Gibson was drafted in 2010 when Whaley was already working for Buffalo. I suppose it's possible he had done scouting work on Gibson during the 2009 NCAA season prior to leaving the Steelers.

i thought teams had to 4 pm tomorrow to make claims? So maybe the Niners have made a claim, but the Bills still have time if they want to claim this guy?? As mentioned, I do not know this guy, he could be the next Maybin or the next Talley for all I know.

I'm don't know the rule for sure, but I thought it was 24 hours. Assuming the Steelers did it 4pm Sat and maybe the NFL doesn't count Sunday, 24 hours was up today at 4pm.

I am a little disappointed by this because early reports out of camp had him making an impact, although as camp went on I heard less about him. I'm sure OBD will say something like he wasn't better than anyone we had etc, but I would have to think we could have found someone to release in order to give this kid a look see.

How about Kelsay instead of Maybin. At least when Maybin plays theres some excitement because he may be getting better, but we all know Kelsay is just getting worse and worse (if thats possible).

Maybin doesn't play because he can't ... Kelsay is out of position but he at least makes an effort, which is something so lacking in Maybin's character that he cannot even make the special teams (saw Shawn Nelson out on special teams this week even though he was hurt only a couple of weeks ago that alone says a lot about Maybin's lack of ability).

I just hope the assistant GM is paying attention to what's going on . The least we could do is put Maybin out if he can't get on the field . Or better yet from what i here you all saying about Kelsay set him free & bring this guy in !!!! At least Maybin MAY have a chance of getting to be a better player because of his age , but Kelsay has been around a while .

Well we fall asleep again the 49ers signed Gibson 47 minutes ago that the way to stay on top of things to improve the team !!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

Our front office does not want this team to get better. Nix is a joke and he was here for Maybin so don't excuse Old Man River for anything. He is just as bad as Marv was. For some reason his hick drawl gets him a pass around here. Like he has said, he sleeps a lot. Well he slept on this one. So aggravating.

If Gibson was waived today, shouldn't it be 4pm tomorrow the claim is awarded? Maybe he was actually waived last night.

They did it Sat because they needed to promote a DL off the PS to play Sunday. The need was caused by Aaron Smith's injury not being year ending (pgh hopes) so they needed the roster spot instead of just putting Smith on IR. Also, their other starting DE keisel was out.

I understand how the priority system works but I mistakenly thought all of the week's games needed to be played before the process was finalized. I remembered the claim deadline for Trent was a Tuesday... but he was also released that same Tuesday and not the Monday before. Anyway, I was hoping the Bills would claim him, but a I said earlier, he's a "tweener" like Moats and Coleman. It's odd that Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (a terrific reporter) had speculated that the Bills might put in a claim because of Doug Whaley, considering Gibson was drafted in 2010 when Whaley was already working for Buffalo. I suppose it's possible he had done scouting work on Gibson during the 2009 NCAA season prior to leaving the Steelers.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-49ers-awarded-Thaddeus-Gibson-off-waivers.html

6-4 240, is small (about the same size and production as Maybi, just makes 3 mil more.

I thought it was current record but you are correct. So the Bills are #9 in the pecking order.

PTR

Apparently someone needs to tell NFL.com that, because earlier they were saying that the Bills had first crack at Moss, that he might go to Dallas except they're loaded at WR, so he'd probably fall to the Rams. That's not exactly last years final records...

Apparently someone needs to tell NFL.com that, because earlier they were saying that the Bills had first crack at Moss, that he might go to Dallas except they're loaded at WR, so he'd probably fall to the Rams. That's not exactly last years final records...

This was corrected a few posts later. After week 3, current record decides the pecking order so the bills are 1st in line to make a claim.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

This was corrected a few posts later. After week 3, current record decides the pecking order so the bills are 1st in line to make a claim.

Exactly. The one nice thing about losing... Not that they will get anybody off the wire...:wallbash: :wallbash:

How would that have worked if BFLO won? Would BFLO, DAL, or CAR have first dibs? Speaking of Dallas, that is quite a train wreck... Only ONE win...:lol: :lol:

Then you don't follow this team very well. You didn't see them pick up incognito off of waivers last year or pick other players of the PS?

These guys are actually pretty active as far as digging at the bottom of the barrel. This isn't their problem. Their problem is they draft players like maybin who shouldn't be playing football, let alone be in the nfl.

And I can see that you can't read very well. I was specifically talking about this one Steelers 4th round OLB draft pick possibly being a great wiaver wire pick up for the Bills. And then I said that is why they won't pick the kid up. I have no idea if he will turn into a great OLB for the 49ers or even just a good special teams player, or if he will even make their team at all. But even the Pittsburgh newspaper thought the Bills would be a logical landing place for him, with Doug Whaley running Buffalo's Pro player personnel dept. (And naturally, the Bills did not sign him, unles they did not even get the chance before SF grabbed him.)

Sure the Bills pick up practice squad players from other teams, and Buddy Nix did not sign Icognito last year, which is a huge reason, in my opinion, he was cut from the Bills this year. But as you say, who cares about that? To me, if the Bills had a chance to sign this OLB and passed on it, they were passing on an extra 4th round pick from last year's draft, and that is stupid due to how horrible they are at OLB right now!