How is the Trick or Treating in your area?

Just Jack

Here in residential Philly, we had 1 family show up. Kind of pathetic. I was talking to other people in the area and they said that it was surprisingly slow. I overheard one kid complaining to his mother that he was bored and he didn't want to be dressed up anymore. Maybe this sentiment is prevalent amongst the youth nowadays.

I also talked to my parents back in Saratoga, NY and the neighborhood that I grew up in is an ideal, fertile trick-or-treating neighborhood, and they said they only had 20 or so kids stop by, which amazed me.

lots of kids in our neighborhood. I would guess at a minimum at least 80 kids. As a qualifyer, I would say at least 30% of the kids do not live in the neighborhood.

And it should be a rule that the day after Halloween friggen school is cancelled. Brutal getting my kids out the door today. And they are at the age prolly getting close to one or two more Halloweens that are really special, so yes i let them stay up and late and trade and eat candy till way past their normal bedtime ;)

Outside of plez... What do you guys live in? Gated communities? :P

Maybe because it was a Sunday?

We lived in a gated community in Orange county and we got lots of kids. Just the demographics of the community. Here in the city the demographics mean very few kids. Our next door neighbor just had a kid 6 months ago. First question we asked was "you going to move?" They said probably.

We lived in a gated community in Orange county and we got lots of kids. Just the demographics of the community. Here in the city the demographics mean very few kids. Our next door neighbor just had a kid 6 months ago. First question we asked was "you going to move?" They said probably.

J/K

Did they check creds before entering? Again, J/K... I knew I would drag you out of the wood work Chef with my social commentary. ;)

Outside of plez... What do you guys live in? Gated communities? :P

Maybe because it was a Sunday?

Apartment complex. Which is the 3rd one I've lived in that I haven't seen, not just stop by, but haven't seen a single kid out trick n treating. Which surprises me, when I was young, that was the mother load, maximum amount of doors in the least amount of time.

Apartment complex. Which is the 3rd one I've lived in that I haven't seen, not just stop by, but haven't seen a single kid out trick n treating. Which surprises me, when I was young, that was the mother load, maximum amount of doors in the least amount of time.

Can you get into an apartment complex and access the doors without a key or card nowadays?

And it should be a rule that the day after Halloween friggen school is cancelled. Brutal getting my kids out the door today. And they are at the age prolly getting close to one or two more Halloweens that are really special, so yes i let them stay up and late and trade and eat candy till way past their normal bedtime ;)

:thumbsup: That's awesome parenting and the way it should be. I promise you the kids will remember and get more out of that experience with each other than whatever is going on at school first thing Monday morning. Even though it is forever ago, I still remember going trick or treating with my little brother and it is great memories to this day that I will always cherish. We used to go hardcore and hit all the houses in my parents neighborhood and then they would take us to both grandparent's neighborhoods, we would have bags and bags of candy and sometimes it was just fun to brag about who got the best candy or who had the most. I have also started to notice over the past few years that trick or treating is nothing compared to what it used to be. It makes me feel bad for the younger generation because they are growing up in such a watered down era where they are missing out on alot of fun times that they will never have the pleasure to look back on someday.

:thumbsup: That's awesome parenting and the way it should be. I promise you the kids will remember and get more out of that experience with each other than whatever is going on at school first thing Monday morning. Even though it is forever ago, I still remember going trick or treating with my little brother and it is great memories to this day that I will always cherish. We used to go hardcore and hit all the houses in my parents neighborhood and then they would take us to both grandparent's neighborhoods, we would have bags and bags of candy and sometimes it was just fun to brag about who got the best candy or who had the most. I have also started to notice over the past few years that trick or treating is nothing compared to what it used to be. It makes me feel bad for the younger generation because they are growing up in such a watered down era where they are missing out on alot of fun times that they will never have the pleasure to look back on someday.

Huh???

That is just you getting old... And thinking the old days were better. I see nothing has change... At least where I am...

If there is a problem... I say try connecting with the community and neighbors again. We even have a trick or treat trail through the local forest preserve the day before that the children love.

:P

Huh???

That is just you getting old... And thinking the old days were better. I see nothing has change... At least where I am...

If there is a problem... I say try connecting with the community and neighbors again. We even have a trick or treat trail through the local forest preserve the day before that the children love.

:P

Its absolutely not just me, I had this conversation with a bunch of people in my age range at work today and everybody is on the same page. Saw alot of similar comments made by people I know on facebook yesterday. That is great that it is still going strong in your area, but the same cannot be said around here.

Its absolutely not just me, I had this conversation with a bunch of people in my age range at work today and everybody is on the same page. Saw alot of similar comments made by people I know on facebook yesterday. That is great that it is still going strong in your area, but the same cannot be said around here.

Oh believe me... I know it isn't just you. I don't deny that. I should have made my last reply not just about getting old... It is also about lifestyle and community. Where I am at, I see no change for the worse... Itis actually better. It is all about the people and community you surround yourself with too. There are so many other things to occupy a person's life nowadays. More doesn't mean better. If things are lacking, it starts from within. Apathy easily snowballs to others and the younger crowd.

Trick or Treat was on Sat night...5:30 until 7:30 here in Southern WV.

we had about 200 visitors. Almost ran out of candy, but Mrs. Lew told

me about the stash of frozen Snickers that she had hidden.

Our neighborhood has 100 houses , so parents truck their kids in from

the hills and the hollers to load up. Most of the kids said "Thank You",

but fewer chimed in with "TRICK or TREAT !"

One lil girl declared, "I want a Snickers" after I had given her a Kit Kat.

By 7:00 there were no more trick or treaters.

Back in the day we always went to one house LAST as they

hosted a big party with cider, donuts and pop-corn balls.

Nowadays, there is the focus on 'safe' community events at a Mall

or community center.