The Myth of Lee Evans

1B4IDie

Myth: an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

"Lee Evans is a great WR with a bad QB, its OK to pay him 9.5 million a year."

The point of this is Stevie Johnson is slightly outperforming Lee Evans, Lee Evans gets to move from Myth to Hero if he can perform up to his potential now that the offense is showing signs of life a few weeks in a row.

The Jury is still out.

I wouldnt say SJ is outplaying Lee, because we really have to throw out everything before Jax when Fitz finally started finding some rhythm. Since then, Lee has 11 rec, 192 yds, and 4 TD's...seems to me now that the QB play has improved that Lee and SJ have been pretty hot...hmmm, maybe its the QB that you should be calling out to prove something so our WR's can continue to produce

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not 1 career game, are you even watching the games?

Stevie has as many TDs with 4 games of playing with Fitzy as TO had all off last year and only 2 away from the Mysterious Lee Evans' 7 TDs in 2009

It's not 1967 and the player's don't play for Potato Chips and sodas.

Stevie has worked hard the whole time he has been on the Bills.

If Stevie is in the long term plans of the Bills you renegotiate a contract when there is 1 year left in the contract not when he is a Restricted Free Agent.

I'm not saying you start at Lee Evans numbers, I'm saying you pay the man if he has a good 2010.

How Many WRs come into the league and do diddly squat, its clear he is working hard at it SHOULD pay off for him.

Nix gets a chance to prove that if a player is drafted and plays well they will get paid.

This is how you build a team through the draft you prove to the drafted players that hard work will pay off with a nice new contract.

And how many come into the league, have 1 good season and then do nothing?

Its ok Stevies Mom, I'm sure your little boy will get a raise soon

I have already shown you that Steve Johnson has been a ghost from kickoff to about 55 to 59 minutes into the game in the previous games prior to Balt. Lee Evans the last 2 weeks has 11 rec, 192 yds, and 4 TD's...SJ isnt outplaying him since Fitz has started to become more effective the last 2 weeks. Lee was much more relevant against Jax and then he pulled in 3 TD's against Balt.

SJ has had only one really relevant game in his whole career and it was the Balt game...he has more to prove then Lee

You didn't do the same analysis on Lee Evans stats

And Stevie Johnson has 13 rec, 204 yards, and 3 TDs in that span and you proved that he was irrelevant during all of the Jacksonville game, which would be slightly out performing at 1/23rd of the cost.

And Stevie Johnson has 13 rec, 204 yards, and 3 TDs in that span and you proved that he was irrelevant during all of the Jacksonville game, which would be slightly out performing at 1/23rd of the cost.

I said all of our WR's were ineffective prior to that...if you are going to get all over SJ's nuts because of his Balt game, you have to do the same for Lee who had a huge game and has 4 TD's in his last 2 games. Prior to Jax, SJ, Lee, Roscoe, our QB's, etc all struggled because we couldnt pass the ball. Not that we can actually pass the ball, Lee's stats are very good...

I notice you ignored my post in response to your calling S. Smith a true #1 and yet I showed you his actual stats with subpar QB play and they are right on par with what Lee has put up with bad QB play...

Yeah, I somehow missed this the first time around. This comparison is so played out and so far off base its not even funny. Jake DelHomme is light years better than anything Trent Edwards has ever been in college or the pros. Smith played on better teams. Smith for most of his career had a pretty good #2 opposite of him.

More importantly, the great Steve Smith isnt very good when his QB's arent very good. Look at his stat line this year:

Week 1 - 5 rec, 75 yds, 1 TD

Week 2 - 3 rec, 66 yds, 1 TD

Week 3 - 3 rec, 22 yds, 0 TD

Week 4 - 2 rec, 11 yds, 0 TD

Week 5 - DNP

Week 6 - Bye

Week 7 - 4 rec, 50 yds 0 TD

Thats a total of 17 rec, 224 yds, 2 TD's in FIVE games. Do you think Smith suddenly lost all of his talent, or maybe, just maybe his stats blow because his QB's absolutely blow this year too and there is no other talent at WR or TE around him.

Or what about 2009 when DelHomme had a dreadful year and Smiths totals were 65 rec, 982 yds, and 7 TD's...look familiar? Looks a lot like Lee's numbers when he has been stuck with ATROCIOUS QB play every year since his big year in 2006.

Yet all these people foolishly say Lee isnt a #1 while proclaiming Smith is, yet their careers exactly mirror the same results when playing with equally bad QB play. Thats the true Myth, not this thread

This is all correct but the question remains, will Lee Evans perform just as well when he has good QB play.

That is still unproven, but is off to a good start.

This is all correct but the question remains, will Lee Evans perform just as well when he has good QB play.

That is still unproven, but is off to a good start.

Definitely off to a good start. Another few consecutive games of Lee and the offense as a whole progressing and our O will begin to get some real respect. Here's to a great outing against KC \~/

btw "The Myth of Lee Evans" sure sounds like a great book title.

Edited by Pilsner

I've been watching Stevie J. for the past 2-3 years and he has definitely progressed and is a WR worth looking at but let's not get too excited.

All I have to say is let's go Mr. Stevie J. I hope you have a long and prosperous career.

kinda reminds me of wes welker playing off of randy moss... would you say welker was the #1 because he had more catches (or yards) than randy moss?

Wes Welker is #83, and only makes $2 mil a year.

What is your obsession with money as if we are in cap trouble or something?

Secondly, what is your point about Welker making $2 million a year? SJ makes far less than that and in the post you are replying to, the OP was comparing how Welker had more catches than Moss as an illustrating of SJ having more catches than Evans. So, Welkers salary in this context is only relevant in comparison to what SJ makes, not Evans and SJ makes a lot less than Welker...

Edited by Alphadawg7

What is your obsession with money as if we are in cap trouble or something?

Secondly, what is your point about Welker making $2 million a year? SJ makes far less than that and in the post you are replying to, the OP was comparing how Welker had more catches than Moss as an illustrating of SJ having more catches than Evans. So, Welkers salary in this context is only relevant in comparison to what SJ makes, not Evans and SJ makes a lot less than Welker...

What is your obsession with me?

My point is who cares who is #1 and who is #2 and who is #5. On the field production is what counts, not the myth of the constant Lee Evans double covering, like he sits on the bench with an opposing player on his lap because he is so dangerous.

And you got it backwards, I'm comparing Stevie Js money to Welker's money and saying they both should be making more, unlike most of Buffalo that doesn't think anyone on the Bills should make more than $9 an hour.

Take into account as well that Stevie is an unknown commodity right now and he has Evans on the other side freeing up coverage. We also have a QB that is doing his job in disecting the defense. I'm not ready to proclaim Stevie J a superstar just yet, but I am excited about the improvement he has shown. It's not just one man involved though.

Well stated. I'll be excited about "Stevie" if he proves out solid over a couple seasons. He is benefiting a lot from Lee drawing top coverage, and being relatively unknown. Will he be able to produce going forward. Time will tell. Personally, I like that David Nelson kid alot and he shows well for the little time he gets. We also have Easley coming back who looked very good in camp this year. We may actually have ourselves a solid WR corp for the next few years. Now that Shawn Nelson is back, I'm more than curious if the Bills and Nelson will be able to put his speed (for a TE) and what he has shown to be good hands to use.

Evans has been the best player in a Bills uniform for a while. He has also been the best WR we've had since Moulds retired. His numbers are not elite, but neither has the play of the one that's been chucking him the ball for his entire career. Look at the numbers for yourself: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6772/career He had two decent years for a WR just coming into the league and then a breakout campaign in 06-07, not to mention that was the year where we've had the best QB play since Bledsoe's first year. Since then we've been searching for a guy who could lead this team to line up under Center. Fitz is really getting a grasp of the offense and making the right reads. Both Johnson and Evans are reaping the benefits, along with Parrish. People are so quick to try to run Evans into the ground for the money he makes. Did he draw up the contract? Did he offer it to himself? No, our FO locked up the best offensive weapon we had on the team before he had a chance to walk in FA like so many other good players have done. If Lee had been with an elite QB in an offense that is proven for his entire career I believe that his numbers would be elite, but he has suffered with the organization as a player through the same things we've watched as fans. Oh, but those on the outside looking in know exactly where every problem lies and who the donkey is to pin the tail upon. :rolleyes: I'm glad we still have Evans in a Bills' uni even though most of the PC GM's on here would have cut him long ago.

Nice Post but I think Roscoe may need an extension and a raise as well.

Roscoe got 3 years, $12.31 mil. on his last extension. You really feel he's worth more than that? He's going to be the 3rd or 4th option at WR for this Team assuming Evans, Johnson, and Nelson stay...I realize Roscoe is also a good Punt Returner...But I just don't see giving him much more that $4 million a year, and I definitely don't see why they would do it now... B-)

He is under contract until 2011 season, but you don't wait until he is a restricted free agent to get someone that is clearly working hard and performing under contract. You get a new contract done the off season before free agency comes.

Sounds like you'd have given Dick Jauron an extension 5 games into the season as well.

Sounds like you'd have given Dick Jauron an extension 5 games into the season as well.

It doesn't sound like that at all.

It clearly says off season.

Based on the level of your reading comprehension, let me explain what off season means.

Off season is the time after a team has played their last game, for the Bills this year that will be January 2nd 2011, until Training camp for the next season opens.

Meaning, after the season if over you will know if it is worth locking up Stevie Johnson for a second deal, instead of waiting until he has a free agent the following summer.

Pretty simple concept.

Roscoe got 3 years, $12.31 mil. on his last extension. You really feel he's worth more than that? He's going to be the 3rd or 4th option at WR for this Team assuming Evans, Johnson, and Nelson stay...I realize Roscoe is also a good Punt Returner...But I just don't see giving him much more that $4 million a year, and I definitely don't see why they would do it now... B-)

I think Die Hard 1967 is being sarcastic, he feels the concept of signing Stevie J to a second deal in the off season, is as ridiculous as giving Roscoe another extension today.

• 2 weeks later...

There were at least 3 inexcusable drops against Chicago which make the double coverage and throwing to himself discussions irrelevant. If his sole purpose is to make the DB’s run and keep the safeties deep then by all means keep running and put up #3 WR #’s, but you have to make those catches when the ball hits your hands 83. Very poor...