Maybin and George Edwards

Could it be possible that Aaron Maybin's failure to improve in his 2nd year could be attributed partly to the fact that George Edwards is an awful defensive coordinator?

what makes it so obvious that it's Edwards who is "awful"?

I mean, half the threads here talk about how horrible our front 7 are, and how we have no pass rushers, and Kelsay is our best OLB.

Could it be that we simply dont have the players/talent to execute the new defense?

Given the team of players we are fielding, I think it's tough to hold the coaching staff accountable for their schemes/playcalling when most of the starters can't execute. ESPECIALLY on defense.

I'm not sticking up for Edwards, or saying he's great. I just dont get the jump in logic...

I mean, half the threads here talk about how horrible our front 7 are, and how we have no pass rushers, and Kelsay is our best OLB.

Could it be that we simply dont have the players/talent to execute the new defense?

Given the team of players we are fielding, I think it's tough to hold the coaching staff accountable for their schemes/playcalling when most of the starters can't execute. ESPECIALLY on defense.

I'm not sticking up for Edwards, or saying he's great. I just dont get the jump in logic...

Obviously, it's because he's working with the same personnel that played under Perry Fewell last season, except for Schobel (and he's not worth the massive drop off in performance), and the defense has been horrible. In fact they used 2 of their first 3 draft picks on defensive players. Putting your players in a position to be successful and adopting schemes to get the most out of them is the definition of good coaching. Playing defenses that you don't have the players to execute or asking players to play positions that they can't (see Kelsay) is bad coaching. What's even scarier is that he's tried to go back to something similar to what the Bills had last season and the performance is still awful. That's doesn't speak well for his ability to make good adjustments or game plan.

He still has the rest of the season to show something but he's not looking too good so far. I'm actually curious to see what Gailey does if the performance doesn't improve. It's one thing for a coach to can players that he didn't draft and has no commitment to, but another to can his hand selected DC after one season.

I wish we could have Fewell's current players on our defensive roster.

Yeah, it's strange that there have been so many threads/posts commenting on how terrific Fewell is doing in NY--- don't the Giants have, arguably, the best front 7 in the NFL? It's interesting that he's doing so well now and I didn't dislike him all that much when he was here, but his success with the NY Giants wouldn't equate to success with the current Buffalo roster. I don't see how it's debatable, nor was it possible for him to remain as merely the DC after serving as the interim HC.

sure he sucked before

Its not Maybins fault. DJ is the as- hole who drafted a 20 year old sophomore DE who played 12 games @ around 222 lbs.

he has grown each year physically. dont forget that he just turned 22 and should be a senior this year @ Penn State.

he needs another year in the weight room this off season so he can get his weight up to about 255 or 260 then he gets next years training camp to put it all together if he fails then its over.

mark my words they will not cut maybin if they ever do until after the pre season next year they have to much invested and it makes no sense to cut him now.

everyone knows it takes at least 3 years to evaluate a draft pick especially a #11 pick. if he does not produce next year then its see ya.

personally i think next year as he matures both physically and mentally he will become the 3/4 OLB we all want him to be.

But, don't forget, half the posters here are clueless.

We essentially made no major moves this offseason. On defense we lost Schobel and then traded a few B-list players for a B-list players. On offense we lost TO and then traded a few B-list players for a B-list players. We did completely change the coaching staff. The defense has fallen off a cliff as far as production goes. The offense has risen dramatically. I think the evidence is clear - Edwards sucks balls as a DC and Gailey is light years ahead of AVP at running an offense.

Perry Fewell looks pretty good in NY.

-His defense here was good against the pass and struggled against the run. With almost the same personnel this year, last years' defense looked a lot better. If we had this years offense with last years defense we would be better off.

Could it be possible that Aaron Maybin's failure to improve in his 2nd year could be attributed partly to the fact that George Edwards is an awful defensive coordinator?

When I saw the title to this thread, I thought you were going to make a slightly different point. The fact that Edwards has shown us nothing makes me question the decision to bench Maybin, and his ability to evaluate talent in general. Maybin has performed like garbage, but he is super fast. Edwards should be able to at least stick him in the games, move him around, bring him as a situational blitzer, etc. in order to put him in the best position to rush the passer.

Classify this under "Wishful thinking."

Or "Denial."

Either or...

I think it's FAR more likely they both suck... B-)

-His defense here was good against the pass and struggled against the run. With almost the same personnel this year, last years' defense looked a lot better. If we had this years offense with last years defense we would be better off.

This defense is missing aaron schobol who was a big part of our pass rush.... so the personel was shaken up significantly.