Our thoughts on Ryan Fitzpatrick before this season

Got_Wood

Thought this was entertaining going back and reading what everyone had to say about Ryan Fitzpatrick and Trent Edwards before the season started...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/117352-the-right-thing-to-do-with-trent-edwards

I respect Trent Edwards as a person and player (to an extent), and I think that the position that he's in is the wrong one. Especially with a new regime coming in trying to clean house and develop a new team with a new identity.

Consider these 2 points:

- Trent Edwards, going into his 4th season, is one of the lowest paid players on the team. Currently his backup Ryan Fitzpatrick is making over 6 TIMES the salary that Trent makes.

- Fans associate Edwards with the tenure of Dick Jauron. A guy that was disliked by a majority of the fan base, and was responsible for much the development of Trent's game in the NFL. Sounds like a losing situation no matter what for him.

So, what's the right thing to do? I think, as much as it sucks to say, the right thing to do is start Ryan Fitzpatrick this year and let go of Trent. Whether it's a trade for a 5th of 6th (maybe even 7th) round pick or just simply cutting him from the team, the guy needs a fresh start with a new team. He can't be successful here, and he would be a distraction as a backup. I think turning the page towards a new era of Bills football depends on the Bills making this move.

Regardless of whether Fitzpatrick is successful or not this season, we have the opportunity to go after a franchise QB in the next draft. If we have to trade up to get our guy, then that's what we do.

That's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Fitz is a weird off-season player. Both years in camp for Buffalo the reports have been that he's been awful and very nearly cut. I think he does some things with his game that don't translate well to practice necessarily. Since he's not the most athletically gifted QB, you see more of what he can do with his confidence and game intelligence.

Edwards it seems like was the exact opposite. Lots of physical tools that he can't apply to the real thing.

Edited by wardigital

I think that Fitz has been huge. I still would like to see the Bills draft a youngster perhaps a Cam Cameron type let him develop slowly behind Fitz for the next couple of years. I don't think they have to pick a QB very early in the first round either. I would like to see a great pass rusher or a Stud OT.

I'm not even in the original thread but i'll throw myself under the bus. I know i was hoping to see Brohm when Trent's ship sailed as "Fitz was nothing but a backup." I think I posted that somewhere and I know I thought it for a few weeks. Here's hoping Fitz makes me eat crow for a long time.

I watched Fitzy in TC and was convinced he'd get cut. Trent was miles better in practice and far more accurate. Until you put them in a game....wow was I wrong. Fitz is a gamer. He's flawed but smart and plays without fear. You gotta love the guy and I'm going to shut my pie hole and see how the rest of the season plays out before clamoring for a 1st round QB.

Fitz is a weird off-season player. Both years in camp for Buffalo the reports have been that he's been awful and very nearly cut. I think he does some things with his game that don't translate well to practice necessarily. Since he's not the most athletically gifted QB, you see more of what he can do with his confidence and game intelligence.

Edwards it seems like was the exact opposite. Lots of physical tools that he can't apply to the real thing.

In baseball they are called cage hitter or 5 oclock hitters. They kill it in BP can't get it past them. Then choke when its game time. There are guys like this on every team

I said he was nothing but a career back-up and was all for giving Trent a shot. It looks like ... and I actually hope ... I was way off. He looks great. If he can continue this for the season, it's one less question mark going into next year.

This was my only Gem from this thread, ha ha. But i answered lots of threads and was head of the Fitz bandwagon all summer...and the Trent bashing. Good to see i was on the right side for a change.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:40 PM zow2

I am stunned when Trent completes a pass beyond 15 yds downfield. He's not a good QB. Maybe in practice he's ok but not in games.

I'm not even in the original thread but i'll throw myself under the bus. I know i was hoping to see Brohm when Trent's ship sailed as "Fitz was nothing but a backup." I think I posted that somewhere and I know I thought it for a few weeks. Here's hoping Fitz makes me eat crow for a long time.

Good fan! I too "knew" based on what I'd seen and read Fitz had "no upside". Happy to continue to be more and more wrong each week.