If Fitz keeps playing like this?

If Fitz keeps his play up?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Bills draft a QB in the 1st round next year IF Fitz plays likem this all year?

• Yes, definately?
    • Maybe, in the second if someone falls to us?
    • No way Fitz for the Future!

if Andrew luck comes out and we have the #1 pick...you take him......Fitz is under contract thru 2011. that gives Luck at least one year to get ready.

Agreed. Luck and only Luck. Otherwise go Defense. We're giving up 33 points per game, let alone our other pathetic defensive stats.

If you think about it, it's a premature question. Right now, Fitz is playing pretty well. Numerous things could happen however...

1] He could continue to play well, and put up 30 points a game and be in the top 10 or even top five (which he is I think) in passer rating. If Ryan Fitzpatrick does that for the next ten games, it would be rather clear that QB is not our most glaring weakness.

2] Chances are, he is not going to continue this pace. But rather be the erratic career back-up he has always been. Then we need to decide, dependent on who is available when we pick, whether that guy is going to make us a better team than another position of great need like pass rusher or stud LB or LT may be (right now, hate to say it, but Bell is looking pretty decent).

The point is, it's fun to argue and speculate, and I'm not trying to say we shouldn't do it. But we really have no idea whether or not QB is our biggest problem, because right now, Ryan Fitzpatrick is not only the least of our problems, but he is putting up 30 points a game and has thrown 11 TDs vs 3 INTs in the last few games.

If I HAD to guess, I don't think he can continue to play well. But it's possible the jackie Chan magic worked on him and not Edwards, who simply didn't have the skills and temperament and wherewithal to be a solid QB in this league. Fitz has a lot of good attributes. if he can be coached to be more accurate, he has a chance. Usually, but not always, that is unteachable.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Getting way ahead of ourselves. If there is a sure fire can't miss QB (Or about as close to can't miss as possible) you have to take him and worry about having too many QB's later. If there isn't that sure fire number one pick at QB I think you have to go LT. This line is still a mess. LT is the second most valued position and we need one I say go there second.

Odds are though Fitz will play admirably but will flash his weaknesses enough to make it worth taking a QB pick one.

I say use every pick next year on defense. They suck not Fitz!

Man this board over reacts to everything. Fitz has had ONE game like this, and as good as his game was, he still had a bad start to the 2nd half where he threw 2 very costly INTS that allowed to Balt to take control of the game. Those INTS were more costly to us then the officials because we shouldnt have even been in the position we were in if Fitz doesnt throw those picks.

So, yes, he had a great day for the most part and something to build on, but we still lost and even though our D was terrible, Fitz played a big role in our loss as well with those 2 INTS giving the Ravens easy points to take the lead for good.

Why dont we wait and see if Fitz can keep this up and actually win some games before we decide we dont need a QB. His game was promising, but this was the ONLY game he was effective this season throughout most of the game. In his previous 3 games he got a lot of padded stats during garbage time with the game out of reach.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Like the commentators mentioned, no way does any rookie coming out this year play as well as Fitz did in that Raven game. if it weren't for Fitz that game would have been another horrid loss. Gailey might actually be helping this guy get better each week, OTOH it doesn't help that the QB needs to make all the plays as the Bills have no viable running game without Fred Jackson making plays.

Imagine would the offense could look like if Fitz got all the snaps in the off season..... Imagine what the offense would look like if the Bills had really drafted to build the O line and the Bills had drafted a RT-LT-C....Imagine what the defense would look like if the Bills had drafted an OLB instead of a pee wee RB

The Bills should draft to build the lines this year and ONLY draft a QB if there is one there with a grade like Stafford or Bradford, a true franchise QB

If Fitz ends up in the top 5 QBs in terms of passer rating, I think you trade him for a 2nd and take a QB at #1.

However, if we are in a position to take the #1 pick, I highly doubt that Fitz's stats will be up there.

Man this board over reacts to everything. Fitz has had ONE game like this, and as good as his game was, he still had a terrible start to the 2nd half where he threw 2 very costly INTS that allowed to Balt to take control of the game. Those INTS were far more costly to us then the officials because we shouldnt have even been in the position we were in if Fitz doesnt throw those picks.

So, yes, he had a great day for the most part and something to build on, but we still LOST and even though our D was terrible, Fitz played a big role in our loss as well with those 2 INTS giving the Ravens easy points to take the lead for good.

Why dont we wait and see if Fitz can keep this up and actually win some games before we decide we dont need a QB. His game was promising, but this was the ONLY game he was effective this season throughout most of the game. In his previous 3 games he got a lot of padded stats during garbage time with the game out of reach.

Wait and see goes both ways, don't you think? You can't justify saying he isn't going to continue any more than you can say he will. The fact is, however, he missed two games, has played against New England, The Jets, Jax and the Ravens (at least two or three of the top defenses) and is now second in the league in passer rating. He is 5th in yards per pass and TDs (even though he missed two games and had a bye week). He's playing pretty damn well and our offense is FAR less a problem that all phases of our defense, at least at this point. He's making plays, he's going downfield, he's putting up points, he's converting third downs, he's running, he's leading (perhaps the most important element).

It's VERY fair to say he hasn't done it for a LONG period of time. It's not really fair to say he hasn't done it or that he has been inconsistent. He's been getting better all the time. Frankly, I didn't think he had the skill to play well over the course of an entire game for a stretch of several games in a row. But he is proving me wrong the way he is playing. It remains to be seen, either way, whether or not he can keep it up.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Wait and see goes both ways, don't you think? You can't justify saying he isn't going to continue any more than you can say he will. The fact is, however, he missed two games, has played against New England, The Jets, Jax and the Ravens (at least two or three of the top defenses) and is now second in the league in passer rating. He is 5th in yards per pass and TDs (even though he missed two games and had a bye week). He's playing pretty damn well and our offense is FAR less a problem that all phases of our defense, at least at this point. He's making plays, he's going downfield, he's putting up points, he's converting third downs, he's running, he's leading (perhaps the most important element).

It's VERY fair to say he hasn't done it for a LONG period of time. It's not really fair to say he hasn't done it or that he has been inconsistent. He's been getting better all the time. Frankly, I didn't think he had the skill to play well over the course of an entire game for a stretch of several games in a row. But he is proving me wrong the way he is playing. It remains to be seen, either way, whether or not he can keep it up.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with what you are saying, but if you go back and watch the previous games he was ineffective through large chunks of some of those games and a lot of his best stretches coming once the game was out of reach. I really liked his game today, I actually love the way Fitz plays on the field. But so many people are talking like this guy has been playing like this all season. His stats in his previous games dont accurately show how the game went.

Believe me, I hope he keeps getting better and dont have to go QB early next year, but at the same time I am a realist and realize that this is really the only game he performed at this level, so its a little early to start talking about not drafting a QB next year.

Edited by Alphadawg7

This is wayyyyy too early to be crowning Fitz our QB future, but if he's playing this well the rest of the way it would be hard to bench him for a rookie. Crazy, in fact.

PTR

I agree but the point made above about not being in a position to take a top blue chip QB is a valid one.....you just dont get the opportunity to draft a Andrew Luck very often....

I am so torn here because I see the pros and cons of both the take the QB and trade down and aquire picks philosophies......

I want to see what Fitz does for the remainder of this season. I am a big time Luck fan.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with what you are saying, but if you go back and watch the previous games he was ineffective through large chunks of some of those games and a lot of his best stretches coming once the game was out of reach. I really liked his game today, I actually love the way Fitz plays on the field. But so many people are talking like this guy has been playing like this all season. His stats in his previous games dont accurately show how the game went.

Believe me, I hope he keeps getting better and dont have to go QB early next year, but at the same time I am a realist and realize that this is really the only game he performed at this level, so its a little early to start talking about not drafting a QB next year.

I agree with you, too. Except that for stretches in almost every game, Brady and Brees and manning don't get it done either. And I don't think it's accurate at all to say a lot of his stats have come in garbage time. He's been good (and erratic) throughout all of the games. That's his game, for the most part, and the main (if not only) reason he hasn't and probably shouldn't be considered a lot term starter.

BUT, if he loses a lot of that inaccuracy (which he seems to be doing lately), he is surely a viable stopgap if not legitimate starter. History is on the side of him returning to his inaccurate ways. But it's possible, as I stated in another thread, that the Gailey magic worked on him and not Trent. I don't expect Fitz to keep this up. But it is definitely possible. Because he has gone a lot longer already IMO before reverting back to his wildly inaccurate norm. He looked good the entire game today, despite the two picks. He doesn't usually do that. 11 TDs and 3 INTs for a Bills QB against the defenses he has played, with OUR defense, are pretty solid if not stellar stats. And they are not just "garbage" time stats, we have put up leads, we have put up 30 points. He clearly has a rapport with all three of the WRs. That cannot be under estimated.

Answers are poorly phrased ... it depends who's available in the 1st rd (or 2nd for that matter) before deciding if you draft a QB. id never just draft a QB because I committed to taking one in a round. Id only take someone if its the guy I wanted ... ask the 9ers how taking Alex Smith #1 overall (huge reach imo) worked out