the big takeaway from today's game

They'll beat someone.

I did think the same thing after the NE game as well so we will see if they can use it as a springboard to better play. I said at the beginning of the year ( my prediction was 5-11, oops) that I wanted the Bills to be a very tough out at the end of the year so if they continue to play as they did today then that will be something.

They'll beat someone.

Well thats assuming Fitz and the O Line play like this again when they hadnt in any other games this year. I will say the offense does seem to be making progress and the O Line looked much better with Green out. With Fitz, his stats look good in the prior games, but he was mostly ineffective in those games until the game was out of reach then saw his stats get padded in garbage time against reserves and prevent D's. So, even though I was really impressed with him today for the most part, its still just one game.

In Fitz defense, he wasnt getting nearly as much pressure in the garbage times of those games as he was earlier in them, so could be that Fitz could keep this up if the O Line keeps giving him time. I mean, today he got good protection almost all game and he put together a good full game. So, if the O Line can continue to play like this, then Fitz very well could go on to have some solid outings.

Fitz does need to work on consistency though as he seems to get hot for spurts and then ice cold and mistake prone for other spurts. Today he played good throughout most of the game, but his costly INTS to start the 2nd half are what allowed Balt to take control of this game. So hopefully he builds on this and the improved play of him and the O Line are a sign of things to come and not just a fluke.

You're probably right but I actually thought the defense played bad enough after the bye to prove to me that THEY COULD pull off 0-16.

When 506 yards doesn't get the job done, you have to worry.

4 turnovers also played a role in all this. As we approach the mid-season the offensive line and offense is starting to get on the same page and come together.

While the defense was at times infuriating, they did come up with some important stops especially late in the game. One of the things about the defense that's bothered me is that they switched their system so quickly after the Miami game. Hopefully, there's some consistency and we'll see some further improvement in the next few games.

A week or so ago Chan Gailey mentioned 2 of their young linebackers are making good progress so we might get some help at that position. At least that's what I'm praying

The larger point is that the Bills can score points with Fitz directing this offense, and there's gonna be a game where the D gets turnovers or a weird weather situation which disables another team's offense. It's pretty obvious that Fitz is going to be the smartest player on the field in any given game he plays in (not the best player, mind you - that's a different issue), and as a consequence I'm pretty confident that the Bills will win a couple/few.

Edited by dave mcbride

Some of us old timers remember the last time the Bills were this bad. (mid-80's) Killing yourself with turnovers and dumb plays is part of the learning curve. Don't forget the Bills are the #4 offense in the NFL since Fitz took over. This team is improving, despite being 0-6.

PTR

Right now, and it could easily change in one week, Fitz is pretty much the least of our problems. He is making good decisions, he is moving the ball, he is putting up points, he is making third downs, he is getting the ball downfield, he is spreading it around, he is avoiding sacks, he is making plays, there isn't anything he isn't doing well in the last couple games except winning, but it is HARDLY because of the 30 points a game he is putting up. He wasn't only good today, he was great, on the road, against one of the very best defenses in the league, which cannot be under estimated

Some of us old timers remember the last time the Bills were this bad. (mid-80's) Killing yourself with turnovers and dumb plays is part of the learning curve. Don't forget the Bills are the #4 offense in the NFL since Fitz took over. This team is improving, despite being 0-6.

PTR

No doubt the offense looks good, but the defense's inability to hold opponents under 35 points a game is epically bad.

The offense has made some good adjustments, but there looks to be little hope of the defense being able to turn it around in a similar way.

Not with George "I have no answers for anything" Edwards as DC they won't...unless the offense scores every possession one game...

Yes, they will -- turnovers and weather combined with an efficient offense will result in at least one and probably more wins. Fitz looked like a vet out there today -- the very reincarnation of Steve DeBerg. Steve DeBerg never went through a season without a victory ...