Magic Johnson wants to bring a team to LA

1B4IDie

There haven't been any real talk between the NFL and Magic Johnson but PFT (yes they're horrible rumor mongers) says that Magic Johnson is getting his money together and would be interested in bringing an NFL team to LA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/20/magic-johnson-wants-to-bring-an-nfl-team-back-to-la/

The reason this worries me is there hasn't been any realistic ownership groups out there that could put together more than 1 Billion dollars to buy the Bills and move them to LA (You have to think about 900 mil to buy the team then atleast 500 mil to build a stadium)

But some people might not realize Magic is very successful business person, He runs Magic Johnson Enterprises, a company that has a net worth of $700 million. He owns his lines of movie theaters got into Starbucks early, has a food contracting business and has been able to build 100s of millions of dollars of net worth.

According to the article he now has about 100 million liquid.

100 million in cash means you can get financed for much more. Buying an NFL team is a safe bet any big money investment group would help finance a purchase. Its as much a sure thing as any investment, but they're just not going to hand out money they want a successful Business person. Magic Johnson with 100 million in cash would be a realistic start of an owner ship group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Johnson#Media_figure_and_business_interests

Daniel Snyder finacied most of his purchase of the Redskins and he was less successfull than Magic.

In May 1999, Snyder purchased the Redskins and Jack Kent Cooke Stadium for $800 million following the death of previous owner Jack Kent Cooke[citation needed]. At the time, it was the most expensive transaction in sporting history[citation needed]. The deal was financed largely through borrowed money, including $340 million borrowed from Société Générale and $155 million debt assumed on the stadium[citation needed]. Annual loan servicing costs are an estimated $50 million

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Snyder

I know this early but this is scary. This could be the first real threat in the creation of the LA Bills, (I propose LA Quakes)

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people continue to ignore the existence of Jeremy Jacobs??

Here is an excerpt from one of my previous posts regarding Jacobs:

"I don't understand why so many people discredit Jeremy Jacobs as a potential buyer. Currently, his net worth would place him 4th highest among NFL owners, surpassing even Jerry Jones. While Jacobs hasn't been the most popular man in Boston, he has a proven track record of maximizing revenue as an owner, and from a purely investment standpoint, it wouldn't be a bad move on his part. While Delaware North is already the current concession vendor of the Buffalo Bills, as the owner of the Bills he would get a much greater return through concessions, and I'm sure he would be able to increase suite sales as well.

The man has made a killing off the Boston Bruins, from his ownership of the team to the selling of concessions and his stake in the New England Sports Network, he has a proven track record of success though his investments in sports. Not to mention, the past couples of years have shown that Jacobs is investing more and more into new ventures, and is not one to merely rest on his laurels."

I will never understand why so many fans worry about the Bills leaving Buffalo. It seems to me that every team that left a city was replaced by another owner or team. Cleveland,Oakland,Baltimore,St Louis,Houston,Al Davis moved back to Oakland. Why,no support for a losing football team in LA.

If the Browns can lose a team, get one back,so can Buffalo

I am telling you guys,"If" the Bills ever did move........ Jacksonville would move to Buffalo in a heartbeat.( Just my opinion)

That's right, Trent Edwards could be the starter! :oops:

Edited by DIE HARD 1967

I'm not even to going to get started in the "Bills moving to LA" talk again. I'll worry about it, if/when it seems like its a realistic possibility.

Here's one thing i do know. If the Bills ever leave town, there will never be NFL football again in Buffalo...for a million different reasons. This isn't a Cleveland/Baltimore/Houston/St. Louis scenario. The fact is that you can't let this franchise leave, period.

There haven't been any real talk between the NFL and Magic Johnson but PFT (yes they're horrible rumor mongers) says that Magic Johnson is getting his money together and would be interested in bringing an NFL team to LA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/20/magic-johnson-wants-to-bring-an-nfl-team-back-to-la/

The reason this worries me is there hasn't been any realistic ownership groups out there that could put together more than 1 Billion dollars to buy the Bills and move them to LA (You have to think about 900 mil to buy the team then atleast 500 mil to build a stadium)

But some people might not realize Magic is very successful business person, He runs Magic Johnson Enterprises, a company that has a net worth of $700 million. He owns his lines of movie theaters got into Starbucks early, has a food contracting business and has been able to build 100s of millions of dollars of net worth.

100 million in cash means you can get financed for much more. Buying an NFL team is a safe bet any big money investment group would help finance a purchase. Its as much a sure thing as any investment, but they're just not going to hand out money they want a successful Business person. Magic Johnson with 100 million in cash would be a realistic start of an owner ship group.

Daniel Snyder finacied most of his purchase of the Redskins and he was less successfull than Magic.

In May 1999, Snyder purchased the Redskins and Jack Kent Cooke Stadium for $800 million following the death of previous owner Jack Kent Cooke[citation needed]. At the time, it was the most expensive transaction in sporting history[citation needed]. The deal was financed largely through borrowed money, including $340 million borrowed from Société Générale and $155 million debt assumed on the stadium[citation needed]. Annual loan servicing costs are an estimated $50 million

I know this early but this is scary. This could be the first real threat in the creation of the LA Bills, (I propose LA Quakes)

No one can leverage $100mm into $1.5b, which is what it would take to buy the team, move them, and then build a stadium (at the least). An ownership team would need at least $500mm to get that loan.

Not saying it can't happen, just that you'd need 5 Magic Johnson's to make that purchase.

I could be mistaken, but I think there's also an NFL-imposed 'franchise-relocation fee' on top of the purchase price and stadium costs (implemented to stop guys like Art Modell, Al Davis, etc., from moving a franchise for personal financial gain).

Well hey, that only leaves him short about $1.5 billion - but what's a few shekels, eh?

Worry not - the Bills will still be playing in Western New York long after Ralph Wilson Stadium lies in crumbled ruins.

Edited by The Senator

There is no LA stadium currently under construction. NFL stadiums cost more than $500 million. The majority owner must own 30% of the team. Johnson's not even close. Banks aren't excited to loan a billion+ to an idea that begins with "I'd like to bring an NFL to LA!".

No one can leverage $100mm into $1.5b, which is what it would take to buy the team, move them, and then build a stadium (at the least). An ownership team would need at least $500mm to get that loan.

Not saying it can't happen, just that you'd need 5 Magic Johnson's to make that purchase.

Why does everyone think he only has $100 million liquid to put into an NFL franchise? He got $102 million liquidated from his sale of his ownership in the Lakers and Starbucks, that does no mean thats all the cash he has to put into an NFL franchise. Magic is a very successful business man here in LA and I can assure you that if he decided to be part of an ownership group he could contribute significantly more than $100 million if he chose to.

Then you must be a worrisome nervous wreck with what life has to offer you on a daily basis. It must be fun going through life like that. :lol:

Well, it seems to me that if I were to worry, it would be about potential health issues, not whether or not my new vehicle is a piece of crap, for example. I might have no control over the first scenario, while I could easily just blame myself for the second. Follow?

I guess "worry" is too strong a word for variables you can't control. But things you can control should be blamed on nobody but yourself.

Edited by GOBILLS78

Why do people continue to ignore the existence of Jeremy Jacobs??

Here is an excerpt from one of my previous posts regarding Jacobs:

"I don't understand why so many people discredit Jeremy Jacobs as a potential buyer. Currently, his net worth would place him 4th highest among NFL owners, surpassing even Jerry Jones. While Jacobs hasn't been the most popular man in Boston, he has a proven track record of maximizing revenue as an owner, and from a purely investment standpoint, it wouldn't be a bad move on his part. While Delaware North is already the current concession vendor of the Buffalo Bills, as the owner of the Bills he would get a much greater return through concessions, and I'm sure he would be able to increase suite sales as well.

The man has made a killing off the Boston Bruins, from his ownership of the team to the selling of concessions and his stake in the New England Sports Network, he has a proven track record of success though his investments in sports. Not to mention, the past couples of years have shown that Jacobs is investing more and more into new ventures, and is not one to merely rest on his laurels."

I agree, but I think he would have to sell the Bruins if he wanted to by the bills. Both moneywise and league wise.