Codero Howard to Start At Right Tackle...

BillsPhan

What happened to Kraig Urbik?? I thought this was a guy they had rated up there with Levitre and Wood as the top three lineman (according to Buddy), they get him off Pittsburgh's practice squad earlier this year and now they start Howard?

Urbik is a guard. Buddy said those were their top three rated interior linemen in that draft.

Edited by Chandemonium

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, unless the long term plans are to groom the guy for the left side. I believe Oher started on the right and then moved to the left for example.

Or if you have a lefty QB. I mentioned once before, knowing he is a JR, and small, (and that the fanbase wouldn't allow it), but I wouldn't mind seeing us, if he came out, drafting Kellen Moore and a stud RT.

Moore can make all of the throws, he is a legit thrower. Needs to put some weight on, but wouldn't mind having him. Also, Boise is not another of those SW California schools that everyone thinks is our biggest problem with QBs. I think if we were to do that, Bell is a very good LT for a Lefty QB.

Get a load of the Chargers. They start an undrafted free agent at Tight End! What a scrub!

These guys also suck:

Warren Moon

Kent Hull

Nate Newton

Kurt Warner

Wes Welker

Lou Groza

Joe Jacoby

Jeff Saturday

Sam Mills

Bart Scott

Antonio Pierce

Night Trane Lane

Donnie Shell

Jessie Tuggle

Pat Williams

Drew Pearson

Yeah and Anthony Davis is a "young guy" too. Of course, you Nix / Modrak apologists have already written Davis off as "sucking" and have the 49ers fans wishing they had Cordero Howard starting for them this weekend. How pathetic is that?? My point is not about giving all the young "undrafted or late round drafted rookies cut by other teams" a chance to play on the Bills' O-Line. They have already been doing that now for almost three consecutive years.

My point is that other NFL teams draft offensive tackles in the first round every single year. Some of them bust, but most of them end up starting on either side from day one and continue to start for years. Looking at the offense so far this season, I would personally rather be watching Anthony Davis playing right tackle as the #9 overall pick from Aprils' draft, firmly entrenched as the starter from day one, then to have C.J. Spiller gaining around 40 yards per game and running behind Cornell Green or Cordero Howard! You say: "Give the kid (Howard) a chance." and "What have they got to lose?" and "He can't be worse the Green!" I say, "How do you know he can't be worse the Green?" Jamon Meredith was supposed to better then Green. What happened to him?

Bottm line is, do you really think the Bills won't be looking for a real RT next free agency period or after they draft their QB in next years' draft?? Sorry, but unlike the Bills, I have zero faith in Howard becoming the starting RT for the Bills over the next decade. There is simply no excuse for Nix not to have addressed RT in this past April's draft, after he refused to address it in this past March's UFA period signing.

You realize that drafting a RT at #9 would be considered by everyone with any kind of football sense a horrible move, right?

You draft a LT at #9.

If the guy you draft at #9 overall plays RT that means, he sucks at the position he was drafted which would have been LT.

If you are suggesting the Bills draft a RT with top 3 overall in 2011 you're even more clueless.

:wallbash:

Another unknown free agent steps in to start on the Bills offensive line this Sunday against the Ravens.

Linky:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article225040.ece

Look out NFL, here comes Codero Howard, who was so highly thought of coming out of Georgia Tech that nobody drafted him - including the Bills, last April. Of course, Chan Gailey did recruit him, so of course Gailey knows more then anyone else in the NFL about him, so of course he will do just fine at RT against the Ravens defense. :wallbash:

I wonder if Buddy Nix knows that he is allowed to draft starting caliber offensive linemen. Take the 49ers as a case in point. They drafted Anthony Davis out of Rutgers with their first round choice just a few picks after Nix took Spiller. In fact, they even traded up to be in the position to draft him! Oh my God, what a strange idea that would be for Nix, who takes about 10 seconds to have his choices sprinted up to the podium as if he is jumping for joy to choose small college players like Terrel Troup and Arthur Moats, that no other team is even thinking about drafting that round!! NFL teams trade up - giving up those valuable extra picks, to target one player???? Nix would never dream of that, based on his performance last April.

But I digress.

So the 49ers move up to draft Anthony Davis, who was just sitting there available for Nix to draft ahead of them, and what happens?? Take a look at the 49ers depth chart today - Davis is their starting right tackle!!!! :doh: Amazing, I'm sure Nix never thought that could happen, that's why he waited until the 4th round to draft Eddy Wang. No way could Davis ever start right away for his Buffalo Bills, Nix must have thought.

So now we will all have Cordero Howard to watch struggle against the Baltimore Ravens monster defense, while Cornell Green recovers from his "mystery injury", and at the same time, Anthony Davis continues to start as he has from day one at RT for the 49ers, gaining experience and earning his first round money.

And Buddy Nix is a "football guy", who believes you build through the draft?? :w00t::bag:

You clearly know way more than Buddy Nix. I am writing Ralph a letter.

Ralphie,

I hope this letter finds you well and in good health. I see that your wallet is nice and fat. So listen this guy on TBD thinks that Nix has no idea what he is doing after one draft and five games with a team consisting of a bunch of DJ leftovers. This person who posts on an internet message board clearly knows what he is talking about. I would officially like to recommend him for every football decision making job within the organization. He is clearly a genius and you are all clearly stupid. If you listened to more posters to make your decisions WE could have been telling Jimmy Clausen to take a seat on the bench.

Sincerely,

Van

P.S. Please for the love of god do away with those terrible uniforms. People have enough reasons to laugh at you and Donte Witner. :flirt:

Yeah and Anthony Davis is a "young guy" too. Of course, you Nix / Modrak apologists have already written Davis off as "sucking" and have the 49ers fans wishing they had Cordero Howard starting for them this weekend. How pathetic is that?? My point is not about giving all the young "undrafted or late round drafted rookies cut by other teams" a chance to play on the Bills' O-Line. They have already been doing that now for almost three consecutive years.

My point is that other NFL teams draft offensive tackles in the first round every single year. Some of them bust, but most of them end up starting on either side from day one and continue to start for years. Looking at the offense so far this season, I would personally rather be watching Anthony Davis playing right tackle as the #9 overall pick from Aprils' draft, firmly entrenched as the starter from day one, then to have C.J. Spiller gaining around 40 yards per game and running behind Cornell Green or Cordero Howard! You say: "Give the kid (Howard) a chance." and "What have they got to lose?" and "He can't be worse the Green!" I say, "How do you know he can't be worse the Green?" Jamon Meredith was supposed to better then Green. What happened to him?

Bottm line is, do you really think the Bills won't be looking for a real RT next free agency period or after they draft their QB in next years' draft?? Sorry, but unlike the Bills, I have zero faith in Howard becoming the starting RT for the Bills over the next decade. There is simply no excuse for Nix not to have addressed RT in this past April's draft, after he refused to address it in this past March's UFA period signing.

OMG reading your drivel is annoying. First of all, the draft was in april and you're STILL biatching about it? I don't know how many times it has been hashed out here but you only get so many picks in a draft. We had/have so many holes on this team they just couldn't draft every position. So they drafted what they thought was the best value for what was needed. Countless times it has been said this isn't a 1 year rebuild so why in your infinite wisdom would you think we can draft everything we need in 1 draft? Its just not possible. i'm pretty sure they will adress the OLine this year, but again, we still have so many holes, like linebacker for instance, or a good pass rusher, possibly/probably qb so who they draft will depend on who they really like and where that person falls.

So with all this being said, just let it go man. It really is quite annoying to the rest of us readers to hear this stuff for the 10,000th time as you should be able to see by the responses you are getting.

OMG reading your drivel is annoying. First of all, the draft was in april and you're STILL biatching about it? I don't know how many times it has been hashed out here but you only get so many picks in a draft. We had/have so many holes on this team they just couldn't draft every position. So they drafted what they thought was the best value for what was needed. Countless times it has been said this isn't a 1 year rebuild so why in your infinite wisdom would you think we can draft everything we need in 1 draft? Its just not possible. i'm pretty sure they will adress the OLine this year, but again, we still have so many holes, like linebacker for instance, or a good pass rusher, possibly/probably qb so who they draft will depend on who they really like and where that person falls.

So with all this being said, just let it go man. It really is quite annoying to the rest of us readers to hear this stuff for the 10,000th time as you should be able to see by the responses you are getting.

I've gotten to the point where I just completely dismiss the credibility of any poster that includes the word "apologist" . Taking sides on many of these issues prevents objectivity

I agree with giving him a chance, Cornell Green obviously fails the eyeball test for competence.

But, to play Devil's Advocate, while there have been a small handful of undrafted players that became good NFL players, pretty much every good NFL player ever was drafted. There is a reason for that :)

Thanks for pointing all that out, Captain Obvious! :rolleyes:

BTW, drafts used to last as many 30 rounds in the 1950s, 20 in the '60's, 17 rounds in the 70's, and 12 rounds as recently as 1992. Jack Kemp was drafted in the 17th round. Johnny Unitas in the 9th. Daryle Lamonica in the 24th.

This subject comes up every now and then, so I've done some looking up previously - you'd be surprised at some of the undrafted stars of the NFL, even with that many rounds. I know I was...

Best undrafted NFL players

Not saying the number off undrafted stars will ever exceed the number drafted ones but, with seven round drafts, we're going to see an increasing number of undrafted gems. (And, as Buddy Nix has stated, it's an 'inexpensive' way to fill out a roster, too!)

Everyone knows no good player is ever drafted outside the first round

Just ask Tony Romo, Kurt Warner, Arien Foster,David Nelson, Jabari Greer, Tom Brady, Jake Delhomme ect

Any smart GM knows you wait until a guy makes a couple Pro Bowls then you trade the farm for them. That's how you build a winner!

PTR

Another unknown free agent steps in to start on the Bills offensive line this Sunday against the Ravens.

Linky:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article225040.ece

Look out NFL, here comes Codero Howard, who was so highly thought of coming out of Georgia Tech that nobody drafted him - including the Bills, last April. Of course, Chan Gailey did recruit him, so of course Gailey knows more then anyone else in the NFL about him, so of course he will do just fine at RT against the Ravens defense. :wallbash:

I wonder if Buddy Nix knows that he is allowed to draft starting caliber offensive linemen. Take the 49ers as a case in point. They drafted Anthony Davis out of Rutgers with their first round choice just a few picks after Nix took Spiller. In fact, they even traded up to be in the position to draft him! Oh my God, what a strange idea that would be for Nix, who takes about 10 seconds to have his choices sprinted up to the podium as if he is jumping for joy to choose small college players like Terrel Troup and Arthur Moats, that no other team is even thinking about drafting that round!! NFL teams trade up - giving up those valuable extra picks, to target one player???? Nix would never dream of that, based on his performance last April.

But I digress.

So the 49ers move up to draft Anthony Davis, who was just sitting there available for Nix to draft ahead of them, and what happens?? Take a look at the 49ers depth chart today - Davis is their starting right tackle!!!! :doh: Amazing, I'm sure Nix never thought that could happen, that's why he waited until the 4th round to draft Eddy Wang. No way could Davis ever start right away for his Buffalo Bills, Nix must have thought.

So now we will all have Cordero Howard to watch struggle against the Baltimore Ravens monster defense, while Cornell Green recovers from his "mystery injury", and at the same time, Anthony Davis continues to start as he has from day one at RT for the 49ers, gaining experience and earning his first round money.

And Buddy Nix is a "football guy", who believes you build through the draft?? :w00t::bag:

Im confused by your post....are you suggesting they play some OTHER then Howard at RT this weekend?

Look....the bills whiffed on Green....he is bad and it is obvious. Langston Walker was actually better. But you gotta understand that this season is not about winning regardless of what the bills say...they are evaluating players to see who they are going to keep as they continue to purge this team. Cordello Howard has played decently so they are continuing to evaluate him...you can bet Green is history.

I bet they look at Cordello as a utility linemen they would like to keep next year as a backup while they search for the true RT starter in the offseason.....absolutely no reason at this point not to let the kid get experience.

Now....the bills need to continue with this line of thinking and start Carrington

I'm not an apologist for anybody and for the record I never said Davis sucked. So don't paint me with your wide brush of discontent. But as long as we are at it. Davis isn't looking none too good but that's okay because he's a high pick? What if Cordero keeps pace with Davis? He won't count because he's a walk on? And why the Hell would you draft a RT in the 1st Round anyway?

Look, my point is you can spend your life looking backwards or forwards. I'm looking ahead and you are still mired in April of 2010 and in the past several years. It's no longer relevant, what we do now is. Play Cordero - Carrington, Troup, Coleman, Moats, Nelson, Urbik, Wang and let's see what we got. Get you head out of the past brother and let's move on.

I agree with giving him a chance, Cornell Green obviously fails the eyeball test for competence.

But, to play Devil's Advocate, while there have been a small handful of undrafted players that became good NFL players, pretty much every good NFL player ever was drafted. There is a reason for that :)

Actually there have been more than a "small handful" of UDFA that have found success, the poster just picked several former Bills to prove his point. He forgot Jabari Greer though. There's UDFA that have become superstars in this league as well as more than servicable starters. Just like there are top round draft picks that crap out every year. To judge a guys talent and desire and ability to play the game on where they were drafted is foolish. otherwise Mike Williams would still be in Buffalo getting paid and Jason Peters would be bagging groceries with Kurt Warner.

The Bills O-line sucks and we want Chan to do something, but when he does we still get angry. Sometimes I think being a Bills fan is more about self flagellation than football.

PTR

One could make the argument that being a Buffalonian is itself something of an exercise in self-flagellation. The long winters, the lousy economy and, above all, the state government--these are not things that bring tears of joy to most people's eyes. (Except, of course, for the many, many recipients of the state's extremely generous, taxpayer-funded largess.)

The team Nix inherited had a number of needs. Of its defensive front seven players, only Kyle Williams and Poz represent long-term answers. I can't fault him for using his second and third round picks on an effort to fix that problem. Even Spiller--who didn't address a real need--at least was rated significantly higher than the other players available when the Bills picked. I'm not trying to find fault with Nix here.

But that being said, it's not like he's seriously addressed the offensive line. He overpaid for a right tackle the Raiders no longer wanted. He used a fifth round pick on Wang. He signed some guys released by their previous teams. Maybe he'll get lucky, and one of those efforts will result in a long-term solid starter on the OL.

According to one ranking I saw, the Bills currently have the worst offensive line in the league. That is not Nix's fault, but is the result of two decades of neglect, poor player selection, and general front office incompetence. That being said, Nix is unlikely to fix the problem with fifth round picks and other teams' castoffs. Building the line with players like that is what got us into this mess in the first place.

The team Nix inherited was more than an off-season or two away from having its holes filled. Nix neglected the offensive line in order to focus on other needs. Over the short-term, that's acceptable. But over the next two years or so, he does need to make a serious effort to get the line fixed.

One could make the argument that being a Buffalonian is itself something of an exercise in self-flagellation. The long winters, the lousy economy and, above all, the state government--these are not things that bring tears of joy to most people's eyes. (Except, of course, for the many, many recipients of the state's extremely generous, taxpayer-funded largess.)

We have something to deal with that. It's called alcohol. :beer:

PTR