Bills will TRADE top pick next year

It seems pretty obvious to me that Buffalo will not pay a huge top three salary in excess of $50M. We know a rookie cap will be in place the next year (2012). We know Mr. Wilson is frugal. We know Buddy wants to build through the draft. I would be shocked if we didn't trade what sadly now seems like the inevitable #1 overall pick (I hope I am wrong. I really want us to win some games). We will still be rebuilding in 2012 and will then keep our top 5 pick which should be a quarterback. I know we haven't traded our top pick very often but it seems pretty logical to me knowing this organization that that is the way they should go. We may get a low to mid round first pick and some more really good picks after that. I don't know what a #1 overall pick is worth but it has to be pretty darn good. If our pick next year is outside of the top 5 we may keep it but 1-3 it is as good as SOLD!

I hop you are right that we trade the #1 if we have it because it is most likely to be a QB (Luck appears to be the leading choice right now but maybe last month's flavor can't miss choice will play himself into being next month's hemline being up or down.

As I see it the Bills are almost certainly going to chase after some rookie to be the next Jim Kelly (certainly Mr, Ralph exercising his owner's right to meddle even though he has proven time and again he may be a great concrete pourer or investor but the man does not have a good football brain. He also has repetitively had toxic relationships with the men he hired to run the Bills ship of state (fired Polian who correctly is given lead credit for hiring a bunch of great players, coaches. and scouts who Marv is correctly given credit for managing these dynamic personalities- outside of his non-fatal firing of Marchibroda and silly misadventures in the redzone where he insisted on control and never equalled the great playcalling of Marchibroda in the red zone), Butler who played him to not negotiate a contract during the season and left us high and dry to run to sunny SD, and then had to fire TD when he failed to manage the bad tendencies he developed after getting run out of Pitts by the man he hired.

Add to that the toxic relationships he has had with some of his coaches like his foolish attempt to welch on his agreement with Wade-o and being such a bad owner that Mularkey walked away from a huge contract rather than coach for him.

IMHO it will be near impossible for a first year QB to lead this team to win an SB as:

1. He will need to read NFL Ds will in order to resd the exotic run blizes other teams will employ against a young OL thst simply is going to challenge our O with, If the blocking schemes led by new players not even on the OL this year will need to be acquired and then chemistry built between them means our QB had better be experienced enough to pick up the slack for our OL or he will likely be killed next year.

2. He will need to have a quick release as fast as that as a Peyton Manning or he will be hit and hit hard repeatedly. Even P. Manning was not P. Manning yet as a rookie. Some folks for example showed little football sense by advocating hard the Bills take Jim Clausen, I agree he is a gamer and a great guy to root for but his slow release which will improve over time would get him killed with this Bills team and as the current OL play only shows how much we need at least one if not two new OL players who are not Bills yet demonstrates that the next QB will nor only have seen a large number of pro Ds to make up for poor blocking but will need to have a quite windup like a vet.

3. He will need to be able to ignore the local media and few loud but local fans who will demand the impossible of any player at QB not to mention a 1st round drafted QB,

I simply doubt that the Buffalo media and fan base are mature enough to allow any rookie QB to grow or even survive.

We either need to take the next Bruce Smith if offered in this draft or the next Tony Boselli (though even the LT will often be on an island from time to time though the blitz pick-up RB and good reads by a vet QB will help him.

However though this a team game the QB does handle the ball on virtually every O snap and it is incredibly doubtful any rookie QB can prosper in his first year or even survive with a learning OL and with this local talk meisters,

I hope like heck that unless a player in the trenches merits a low pick that we trade this resource for value.

Bills will TRADE top pick next year

If our pick next year is outside of the top 5 we may keep it but 1-3 it is as good as SOLD!

Thank you, Nostril-digger-amus. I wish I was as good at absolutely knowing the future as you. Did you get this from tea leaves, tarot cards, the steaming entrails of a fatted calf, a troll handbook, or your crystal ball?

Edited by Thurman#1

We either need to take the next Bruce Smith if offered in this draft or the next Tony Boselli (though even the LT will often be on an island from time to time though the blitz pick-up RB and good reads by a vet QB will help him.

Given the choice, I'd hope it would be an OT. I know Bruuuuce was a standout, but the truth is that he was the exception as a pass rushing DE in a 3-4, NOT the rule. The rush should come from the OLBs, so if they intend on upgrading the pass rush, I'd hope the Bills would look to grab a good edge rusher maybe in the 2nd round, kinda like what Pittsburgh did in taking LaMarr Woodley.

I really wouldn't have a problem with trading down from the #1 spot to somewhere between 3 - 8 or 3 - 10. I will say it again: first, draft the best D Lineman available, then grab the Franchise QB somewhere later in Round 1 or early Round 2. The Number 1 Pick should equal the trading partners Number 1 in slots 3 - 10 + a 2nd rounder. The mess that the Bills are in is not Buddy Nix's fault. It is the fault of Marv Levy and Ralph Wilson. Outside of Maybin, Buddy Nix has helped with two back to back solid drafts. 2011 will be solid for the Bills as well.

I don't really understand your logic.

If there's a rookie salary cap in place, which makes it more affordable for the team with the #1 pick, why would the "frugal" Mr. Wilson want to trade out of it? Are you assuming that the cost of the #1 pick will still be too high, even with the rookie cap? In which case, I ask: how do you have any idea what the rookie cap may or may not be structured? Do you work for the NFL or NFLPA?

If there is a rookie salary cap in place (and honestly, that's still a big if), then it really wouldn't make much sense to trade out of those top picks if the metric for price and quality of player add up where it makes fiscal and football sense to keep that pick. But if there isn't a rookie salary cap in place, or if it isn't a really affordable one for a team taking the #1 pick overall, I have to ask: who in the hell would want to trade up for that? There's a reason you don't see teams trading out of the top ten picks of the first round; there's just not much of a market among the other teams to get into that position, unless there's a player they desperately want. Usually there's no player that would justify the cost to trade up so high.

If we are the #1 pick, that would mean we are so bad that we need a player rated that highly to help the franchise anyways. While it would be nice to trade out of it if that were the case, I doubt that anyone would make the dream scenario offer you're talking about.

Given the choice, I'd hope it would be an OT. I know Bruuuuce was a standout, but the truth is that he was the exception as a pass rushing DE in a 3-4, NOT the rule. The rush should come from the OLBs, so if they intend on upgrading the pass rush, I'd hope the Bills would look to grab a good edge rusher maybe in the 2nd round, kinda like what Pittsburgh did in taking LaMarr Woodley.

Normally I would find myself in agreement with the OP, but not this time. Apparently, Ralph sent Buddy to scout QBs and this is quite telling imo. Fitz is not as bad as our OL and LBs, right?

We all know how bad the team is, but Spiller failed to put "fannies in the seats" Richie. We were both there on Sunday, and there were lots of empty seats despite perfect WNY weather.

Imo, if the Bills draft Mallet, he would be good for 10,000 tickets per game before he takes the field. If he throws a couple of circus type TD passes, the stadium will be full, as will the beer and food concession lines, parking lots, etc. This is not to mention merchandise sales.

Ralph spoke out for "excitement," right? Mallett is able to lead Evans or Spiller on 70 yard fly patterns. Methinks he will be the pick. Just my "meaningless opinion" LOL!

I would agree but I just can't. Think about it this way; who were the QBs when this team in the 60s and the 90s? You need a super good QB to play in the playoffs (and I think RW is right 3 years for winning in the POs). There is no waiting until next year for that pick again because we may improve and not be in the position to get that pick again. This appears to be one of the strongest QB classes (so far)in a long time. We have to go for it if the opportunity is there.

Then that pick will have to ride the pine and develop behind Fitz or someone we pick up (who is starting quality) if we get really lucky in FA. The line has to improve or we will run the risk of effing up the development, watch what happens with Mc Coy in Cleveland if he is left in there the rest of the year now.

Our OT pick can be a #2, sounds like no one is going 1st round (at this point anyway) I want our lbs and TE DL in the next 3 rounds in BPA order and then BPA regardless of position for the last 2. We can fill other holes in FA (esply w/ LBs next years LBs are good) the class is 2x the size of this one and we should have some good chances to sign if we are willing to spend (which we should have some money to do it, more so now than in recent history).

All options should be on the table. Who knows what a team might offer up in draft pick compensation for the 1st overall.

Then again, people whine 'bout how the Bills never take what trade offers they do receive (allegedly). Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Of course they might trade the pick, but the logic here is flawed, based only on the OP's assumption that "frugal Ralph" does not want to pay the top pick. Yet, outside of Tom Cousineau (more than 30 years ago), there is no historical basis for this position at all. (Before anyone mentions Jim Kelly, please note that in 1983 the Bills were prepared to make him a multimillion dollar deal when he bolted for Houston...)

It all comes down to another act of despairing self-abuse by a depressed Bills fan. Seek help, my friends!

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

We will have the first or second pick. We will draft aQB and we will sign him. We will sign him after camp starts but we will sign him. Take that to the bank. Ralph doesn't like to spend a lot of money on black players after Dockery, Peters and Evans took the more and laid down. Only white ones like Poz, Kelsay and Schobel. He will sign a white QB no questions asked.

Normally I would find myself in agreement with the OP, but not this time. Apparently, Ralph sent Buddy to scout QBs and this is quite telling imo. Fitz is not as bad as our OL and LBs, right?

We all know how bad the team is, but Spiller failed to put "fannies in the seats" Richie. We were both there on Sunday, and there were lots of empty seats despite perfect WNY weather.

Imo, if the Bills draft Mallet, he would be good for 10,000 tickets per game before he takes the field. If he throws a couple of circus type TD passes, the stadium will be full, as will the beer and food concession lines, parking lots, etc. This is not to mention merchandise sales.

Ralph spoke out for "excitement," right? Mallett is able to lead Evans or Spiller on 70 yard fly patterns. Methinks he will be the pick. Just my "meaningless opinion" LOL!

I know it's a bit early for predictions but...Who cares...The Bills suck and it's something to do... :)

IF Mallett is on the Board when the Bills Picks and IF Luck is A) Already gone or, B) Stays in school as expected...Ryan Mallett will be the next Buffalo Bills QB...

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind if that scenario plays out that's what will happen... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Then again, people whine 'bout how the Bills never take what trade offers they do receive (allegedly). Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

True Rich, but I gotta believe in this case IF they are in the Position to take the 1st QB in the Draft the complaints will be FAR less...

Not on TSW of coarse...Just in general... ;)

I'd love to see a bidding war take place for the Bills' pick. This team is so devoid of talent, it needs way more than a QB... needs high picks for at least one if not two drafts or more.

New England does it the right way... they keep replenishing their roster year after year. The Patriots end up with multiple picks in the first 3-4 rounds. Don't they have two picks in each of the first four rounds in the 2011 draft? That team is a machine on and off the field.

I think we keep the pick, especially since there will be a rookie wage scale in place when we make the selection. Everyone knows that is part of the next CBA. If Ralph doesn't have to shell out $50 mill gauranteed you think that Nix and company will not select the best player in the draft? I think they stay put. I also don't believe they take a QB who is not "their guy", which was evident from them passing over Clausen in the 2nd Round this past draft. Now if someone comes up with an outrageous trade offer with a couple of 1st Round picks involved and a 2nd coming to us then I believe we will make the trade, but in recent years people giving up that much for an unproven player to move up has been unrealistic. Now with the coming rookie wage scale that may change also, but I also think it changes the mentality of the people who hold the top spot as well not having to shell out the money we saw go to Bradford.

I'd love to see a bidding war take place for the Bills' pick. This team is so devoid of talent, it needs way more than a QB... needs high picks for at least one if not two drafts or more.

New England does it the right way... they keep replenishing their roster year after year. The Patriots end up with multiple picks in the first 3-4 rounds. Don't they have two picks in each of the first four rounds in the 2011 draft? That team is a machine on and off the field.

I hear ya. The Pats know when to get rid of players and still get compensation for 'em. Shrewd.

I could roll w/ either scenario: staying put (if the pick is high enough) and taking a QB like Luck or Mallet or trading down and acquiring additional picks. Like you said, the Bills are way more than a player away from contention. As long as they hit the mark more than they miss it w/ additional picks, they could really go a long way toward building for their future.

It seems pretty obvious to me that Buffalo will not pay a huge top three salary in excess of $50M. We know a rookie cap will be in place the next year (2012). We know Mr. Wilson is frugal. We know Buddy wants to build through the draft. I would be shocked if we didn't trade what sadly now seems like the inevitable #1 overall pick (I hope I am wrong. I really want us to win some games). We will still be rebuilding in 2012 and will then keep our top 5 pick which should be a quarterback. I know we haven't traded our top pick very often but it seems pretty logical to me knowing this organization that that is the way they should go. We may get a low to mid round first pick and some more really good picks after that. I don't know what a #1 overall pick is worth but it has to be pretty darn good. If our pick next year is outside of the top 5 we may keep it but 1-3 it is as good as SOLD!

They trade that pick, I !@#$ing quit right then, right there.

Bill, I agree with both you and R2 - we should draft Ryan Mallett, then package our very high round-2 pick with a 5th - or 6th & 7th - to trade back into round one and grab Gabe Carimi (I'm willing to eschew another Danny Batten or Kyle Calloway in this year's draft, if it gets us Gabe). B-)

The key is how far Greg Romeus (DE, Pitt) drops because of his back injury, and can we get him in the 3rd or 4th - or Dontay Moch in the 3rd & Romeus AND Owen Marecic with our two 4th-round picks? That would be enough for me on draft day - Mallett, Carimi, Moch, Romeus, and Marecic - I wouldn't even care about anything after that.

We'll have a nice chance to watch Mallett on CBS this afternoon against Auburn, and Carimi against the Buckeyes (& Cameron Heyward) tonite. Until then, enjoy some 'sweet dreams' of this QB in a Bills uniform...

Edited by The Senator

I hear ya. The Pats know when to get rid of players and still get compensation for 'em. Shrewd.

I could roll w/ either scenario: staying put (if the pick is high enough) and taking a QB like Luck or Mallet or trading down and acquiring additional picks. Like you said, the Bills are way more than a player away from contention. As long as they hit the mark more than they miss it w/ additional picks, they could really go a long way toward building for their future.

If the Bills go the Luck-Mallet route, they have to bring in a more than adequate, probably major upgrade at LT. If it's just the O-Line that gets major upgrades, so be it. But throwing Luck or Mallet to the wolves and the track record of very early QBs drafted and the ones that don't pan out... in the end the Bills cannot screw this up. I'd say 2011 will rank as their most important draft in team history.

Here's what I don't understand.

People say Ralph Wilson is frugal. I've never seen any evidence of this though. PLease, why is he frugal? Is it the monster contracts he gave dockery, schobel, evans, kelsay?? How he's paid right in the slot for every frist round pick? Maybe it's because he let Nate Clements walk.. hes surely worth all that money fellow 0-5 san francisco gave him..

The Sabres are frugal.

The Bills are not frugal.

If we know there will be one for 2012, how do we not know there will be one for 2011? Also, have there been a large number of players from the draft he hasn't signed in the past?

Bill, I agree with both you and R2 - we should draft Ryan Mallett, then package our very high round-2 pick with a 5th - or 6th & 7th - to trade back into round one and grab Gabe Carimi (I'm willing to eschew another Danny Batten or Kyle Calloway in this year's draft, if it gets us Gabe). B-)

The key is how far Greg Romeus (DE, Pitt) drops because of his back injury, and can we get him in the 3rd or 4th - or Dontay Moch in the 3rd & Romeus AND Owen Marecic with our two 4th-round picks? That would be enough for me on draft day - Mallett, Carimi, Moch, Romeus, and Marecic - I wouldn't even care about anything after that.

We'll have a nice chance to watch Mallett on CBS this afternoon against Auburn, and Carimi against the Buckeyes (& Cameron Heyward) tonite. Until then, enjoy some 'sweet dreams' of this QB in a Bills uniform...

youtube.com/watch?v=OurYaWeYlQw

I'm on board with The Senator in wanting us to draft Mallett. I see him as a more mobile Drew Bledsoe. Bledsoe was a top tier QB in NE, but then came along Tom Brady. Bledsoe wasn't that bad for us, minus the choke game against the Steelers' 3rd string. Mallett can make every throw, even while on the run. He usually hits his WR's in perfect stride when throwing down field. Everyone is trying to judge hime based on one half of football against one of the top defenses in the nation. Yeah, that makes alot of sense. :rolleyes: Would love to have him as our franchise QB.

so if Luck declares(good possibility),Mallett is there your trading out. sorry bro but you have no idea what you are talking about.

every consistently winning team has one thing in common a franchise QB and you want to by pass getting a great QB so you can get more mediocre draft picks and mediocre players great logic.

believe me they will never trade out of #1 if Luck is there 100% guaranteed. 95% guaranteed with mallet.

do us all a favor and go watch a couple of Stanford or Arkansas games and watch these 2 QB's play then you will understand how absolutly crazy your post is. really man if you actually watched these kids play you would be very embarrassed by your post and realize how foolish it is.

If the Bills go the Luck-Mallet route, they have to bring in a more than adequate, probably major upgrade at LT. If it's just the O-Line that gets major upgrades, so be it. But throwing Luck or Mallet to the wolves and the track record of very early QBs drafted and the ones that don't pan out... in the end the Bills cannot screw this up. I'd say 2011 will rank as their most important draft in team history.

I don't get this. Bell has been at the very least adequate. I think your still stuck on how the o line looked with Trent at the helm. This o line is playing decent. I'm now pleasantly saying their biggest issue is penalties.

Look, I'm really curious: has there EVER been a 'bidding war' for a top pick in recent history? Who would be a part of this bidding war? Like I said in my last post, there's a reason teams rarely trade out of the top 10 picks--the price is too high for another team to switch to that pick.

And for everyone interested in Ryan Mallett, today's a HUGE test for him. He has a chance to redeem himself from the end of that 'Bama game. I'm really pulling for the guy, as he's been a favorite of mine for a while. However, the collective sports public might be buzzing even louder about a talent that could be even more special than Luck and Mallett--some guy out of Auburn by the name of Newton. :worthy:

Look, I'm really curious: has there EVER been a 'bidding war' for a top pick in recent history? Who would be a part of this bidding war? Like I said in my last post, there's a reason teams rarely trade out of the top 10 picks--the price is too high for another team to switch to that pick.

And for everyone interested in Ryan Mallett, today's a HUGE test for him. He has a chance to redeem himself from the end of that 'Bama game. I'm really pulling for the guy, as he's been a favorite of mine for a while. However, the collective sports public might be buzzing even louder about a talent that could be even more special than Luck and Mallett--some guy out of Auburn by the name of Newton. :worthy:

Thank you for bringing some logic to the discussion.

Here is a quote from Jeff Ireland on having the #1 pick:

"You can call around and try to trade it," Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said. "But at the end of the day you usually don't get a phone call back."

And just in case that doesn't have you convinced, here is the link to the entire article:

Who wants the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft? Nobody

"You can call around and try to trade it," Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said. "But at the end of the day you usually don't get a phone call back."

And just in case that doesn't have you convinced, here is the link to the entire article:

It would be easier to pull another Cousineau, really. Draft some dude, go back to bed, and let him sign with some team in the CFL.

youtube.com/watch?v=OurYaWeYlQw

Most of what I've read on Carimi is that he had a great year 2 seasons ago but fell off last year and is currently listed as a 2nd round prospect. Obviously alot changes from now until the draft, and positional value moves guys up.

Look to Nix's past for possible answer. TWICE San Diego traded away the top pick in the draft. First time they traded away Mike Vick and slid down 4 spots to get Ladanian Tomlinson and with extra rd2 pick received Drew Brees.

The 2nd time they traded away Eli Manning and in return received Phillip Rivers, + 3rd rd pick + 5th rd pick + flowwing year #1 (Shawn Merriman)

Lesson learned??

Yes its ok to trade away top QB on the board when you have numerous holes to fill.

Yes you can still get a quality QB when you trade the top QB away.

Buddy Nix scouting QBs does not mean he's determining who the top one is ...he's likely looking at just below that

John Elway was top consensus QB in 1983 - we did pretty good scooping Jim Kelly at 14th slot....

Our best hope is to have some team absolutely covet Andrew Luck - and offer us the farm to move up to acquire him.

Thats mainly because Jeff Ireland was unlucky in that there was no sure fire franchise player at the top of the draft that year. When there is a perceived franchise QB they come sniffing - Mike Vick & Eli Manning were both traded away

Also - good chance the owners impose a rookie salary cap in the absence of an agreement

Look to Nix's past for possible answer. TWICE San Diego traded away the top pick in the draft. First time they traded away Mike Vick and slid down 4 spots to get Ladanian Tomlinson and with extra rd2 pick received Drew Brees.

The 2nd time they traded away Eli Manning and in return received Phillip Rivers, + 3rd rd pick + 5th rd pick + flowwing year #1 (Shawn Merriman)

Lesson learned??

Yes its ok to trade away top QB on the board when you have numerous holes to fill.

Yes you can still get a quality QB when you trade the top QB away.

Buddy Nix scouting QBs does not mean he's determining who the top one is ...he's likely looking at just below that

John Elway was top consensus QB in 1983 - we did pretty good scooping Jim Kelly at 14th slot....

Our best hope is to have some team absolutely covet Andrew Luck - and offer us the farm to move up to acquire him.

If Buffalo has the first pick, Luck is available, and they trade it then just close up shop and move. The circumstances in 2001 and 2004 were very much different, in that neither #1 guy, Vick nor E. Manning, were who SD wanted. And the guaranteed money back then was a fraction of what it'll be in 2011 without a CBA including a rookie cap.

In 01, Vick was not a complete NFL QB. E. Manning and Rivers in 04 were the top 2 QB's in a deep class. It doesn't look at this point like there's much guaranteed behind Luck if he comes out. Mallett has footwork and touch issues while Locker is more athlete than QB right now. That's not to say they can't be good, but you don't pass up a turn to take a NFL ready QB with huge potential.

Bill Polian could have traded down in 98 and let someone else take P. Manning. But he didn't and that guy became the cornerstone of the franchise.