One blackout and already the national media has noticed

zow2

I noticed something while listening to a national and regional sports talk show. Last year Buffalo was always talked about positively...as in "hey even Buffalo can support their team in bad economic times and with a lousy team, why can't Jacksonville?"

Now after one non-sellout, the shows i heard were lumping Oakland, Jax and Buffalo into the same crowd of "cities that cannot support an NFL team"

I really take issue with this. The fans in WNY are awesome. If we had Jacksonville's team the place would sellout no problem. It's just after 10 years of mediocrity and bad football, no one is really going to come out. Even the NY Jets or Indy would have gobs of no-shows if their team was this bad. Now the media is going to pound Buffalo fans for not supporting their team. That makes me furious.

Edited by zow2

I noticed something while listening to a national and regional sports talk show. Last year Buffalo was always talked about positively...as in "hey even Buffalo can support their team in bad economic times and with a lousy team, why can't Jacksonville?"

Now after one non-sellout, the shows i heard were lumping Oakland, Jax and Buffalo into the same crowd of "cities that cannot support an NFL team"

I really take issue with this. The fans in WNY are awesome. If we had Jacksonville's team the place would sellout no problem. It's just after 10 years of mediocrity and bad football, no one is really going to come out. Even the NY Jets or Indy would have gobs of no-shows if their team was this bad. Now the media is going to pound Buffalo fans for not supporting their team. That makes me furious.

zow, we knew this was coming and I (and others) have even posted about it.

...it still stinks and it is still wrong but we knew it was coming.

No Playoffs since the last millennium, and 8 victories in your last 31 games will do that to your fan base, but then again, the talking heads don't give **** about the truth.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

What usually annoys me about that discussion too is that they never seem to mention how often the Bills do sell out despite being a team in a very small market that still has the 7th largest stadium capacity wise.

Oakland is the second smallest. Jacksonville is 20th and I am not even sure if that 20th stat takes into consideration the seats they tarp over now. Again though, these things are usually not mentioned in such reports.

I might be going out on a limb with this one but I am pretty certain that if you put a 63,000 seat stadium in Buffalo like the Raiders have we would not be seeing many if any black outs.

I might be going out on a limb with this one but I am pretty certain that if you put a 63,000 seat stadium in Buffalo like the Raiders have we would not be seeing many if any black outs.

I've been saying this for years. Why they (old man wilson) don't renovate the stadium and take out 10k seats is crazy. There would be a sellout every week no questions asked if this was done.....

GO BILLS!

I will always wonder how Detroit never makes this list of teams that cannot support an NFL team. They have blackouts everyweek and last week Kid Rock along with others had to buy up the last thousand tickets so people could watch them play.

I've been saying this for years. Why they (old man wilson) don't renovate the stadium and take out 10k seats is crazy. There would be a sellout every week no questions asked if this was done.....

GO BILLS!

Why would he purposely take away potential revenue?

What the head idiot in charge doesn't get....even after Bill Polian proved it to him.....that fielding a winning team will sell seats no matter what the price is...

Look at the last ten years, fans will buy mediocre around here, imagine what they would do if his Buffalo Bills ever won a SB.

This man is so Mr Potter / Ebenezer / Mr Dithers that he doesn't realize all it would take is ONE MAN, he had that guy in Chuck Knox and didn't keep him, he had that guy in Bill Polian and didn't keep him. Just pay the right guy what is needed and he will find the great players- find the great coaches- fill the stadium and the team will win year after year.

Edited by Harvey lives

We were the number 8 team in attendance in 2009, and that was with only (7) home games, average in that extra Toronto game and we were the #7 team in attendance. Not bad for a team that hadnt done crap for 10 years. Shows that if you just give us a little hope (Terrell Owens was all it took in 2009) we are THE most supportive fans in the league. People who know NFL , know Buffalo has one of THE top fan bases in the league.

The Bills always seemed to get lumped in that category of "having trouble selling tickets". Ridiculous since we've had 26 straight sellouts up until the blackout.

Wonder if the national media is confusing ticket sales/sellouts vs. season ticket holders? Even though we have the sold out games I'd wonder if the percentage of season tickets is lower.

What usually annoys me about that discussion too is that they never seem to mention how often the Bills do sell out despite being a team in a very small market that still has the 7th largest stadium capacity wise.

Oakland is the second smallest. Jacksonville is 20th and I am not even sure if that 20th stat takes into consideration the seats they tarp over now. Again though, these things are usually not mentioned in such reports.

Thats an interesting observation. The blackout rule, if it already shouldn't be completely abolished should at least be revised.

It's an unfair metric to require all the seats in the stands to be sold out if all NFL stadiums aren't at the same standard. While our prices are cheapest, yes, 73,000 seats can be sometimes 10,000 more seats than the newer stadiums being built.

Why not have a blackout apply if the stadium isn't sold out to the minimum number of an NFL stadium's capacity? I'm not sure which one that is, but if, as example, the smallest NFL stadium seats 60,000 people, make that a floor for all NFL teams. Seems to me to be the most fair. I'm pretty sure the Bills still got about 63,000 people to the Jax game.

What say you?

GO BILLS!

If he would put a half way decent team on the field, he could add 10K seats and it would be a sell out every week. The blackout problem isn't because of the number of seats, but the number of wins and losses.

Thats an interesting observation. The blackout rule, if it already shouldn't be completely abolished should at least be revised.

It's an unfair metric to require all the seats in the stands to be sold out if all NFL stadiums aren't at the same standard. While our prices are cheapest, yes, 73,000 seats can be sometimes 10,000 more seats than the newer stadiums being built.

Why not have a blackout apply if the stadium isn't sold out to the minimum number of an NFL stadium's capacity? I'm not sure which one that is, but if, as example, the smallest NFL stadium seats 60,000 people, make that a floor for all NFL teams. Seems to me to be the most fair. I'm pretty sure the Bills still got about 63,000 people to the Jax game.

What say you?

The whole purpose of the NFL's greedy blackout rule is that if you aren't going to go to the game, and there is still seats left than we aren't going to give you the option of watching it at home. In otherwords, fill the stadium first, then you can watch it from outside the stadium. Once again, put a good product on the field and you don't have to worry about that. You don't hear about Dallas being blacked out and that new facility holds more than the Ralph does.

Edited by billsfreak

What say you?

I believe the announced attendance was 58K.

But the NFL doesn't care about fair at all. If they did they would not have the whole "secondary market" policy, and would not declare Syracuse a blackout area because one of its TV stations can get a faint signal to a few houses in the Rochester area. They care if the stadium is full of people spending money or not ... period.

Edited by CodeMonkey