All this QB talk!

So with all the talk being about a new QB (mostly Mallett and Luck, with a little Locker, Pryor, Newton and other randoms thrown in), I can't say I know what players are the top rated OTs and DLs.

Who are the favorites at OT? Is there a Jake Long in this class?

Who are the favorites at DE or DT/NT? Is there a... Mario Williams(?) in this class?

If Luck and Mallett decide to stay in school, and/or if we don't end up with the #1 pick, we might be looking at these guys instead.

What say you?

Edited by DrDankenstein

Ralph calls it top priority and the truth is it's rare you have the top pick so IF they think one of them is the **** they'll take him...and if they think one might be but aren't sure I can't say for sure that we're totally "healed" from the dysfunction that we'd pass in that case either...I think the focus on QB is not that everyone thinks it's necessarily what we MUST do just that it's what we will likely do so that's why we fixate on them. Plus it's just easier to follow a college QB than any other position...analysts talk about them all the time their on every offensive highlight...you don't have to watch the team every week ect...

All of that said if there is a Mario Williams in this class...unless there's a Peyton too...I want him.

Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi or DE/DT Cameron Heyward would be my pick if Luck does not declare. If there's a lockout I'd assume Mallett may return to Arkansas as well, but I still like Luck more at this point anyhow.

As far as a later round QB, yeah, Cam Newton intrigues me quite a bit but I'm not 100% sure he can read defenses (of course, his stock may shoot him into the 1st come draft time). Iowa's Ricky Stanzi looks like a Tom Brady clone but some here have claimed he is both injury and mistake prone. That may be the case but I haven't seen enough of him to really know one way or another.

Wisconsin OT Gabe Carimi or DE/DT Cameron Heyward would be my pick if Luck does not declare. If there's a lockout I'd assume Mallett may return to Arkansas as well, but I still like Luck more at this point anyhow.

cool, I'll be sure to check out both in the Wisc/OSU game this weekend. I've seen Heyward play recently, can't remember who against but I remember he had a pick and went rumbling down the field.

So with all the talk being about a new QB (mostly Mallett and Luck, with a little Locker, Pryor, Newton and other randoms thrown in), I can't say I know what players are the top rated OTs and DLs.

Who are the favorites at OT? Is there a Jake Long in this class?

Who are the favorites at DE or DT/NT? Is there a... Mario Williams(?) in this class?

If Luck and Mallett decide to stay in school, and/or if we don't end up with the #1 pick, we might be looking at these guys instead.

What say you?

Not as big of a "need" position as others, but FSU OG Rodney Hudson is a road grading beast. He's anchored our OL for 3 years. He's also a huge reason why as a team, FSU has 1,000 rushing yards in the last 4 games alone.

wow, I'm looking around at Scouting Reports and Mock Drafts and for the first time since I can remember, I'm not seeing many OTs. Most mocks I've seen don't even have an OT going in the top-10. I know they don't mean jack, but they are usually a good way to find out the hot names. Interesting...

wow, I'm looking around at Scouting Reports and Mock Drafts and for the first time since I can remember, I'm not seeing many OTs. Most mocks I've seen don't even have an OT going in the top-10. I know they don't mean jack, but they are usually a good way to find out the hot names. Interesting...

17th overall is the first one according to Kiper. That said, nothing else gets addressed till QB does. We have tried all these different ways of doing things except the RIGHT Thing, address QB then fill in around him.

17th overall is the first one according to Kiper. That said, nothing else gets addressed till QB does. We have tried all these different ways of doing things except the RIGHT Thing, address QB then fill in around him.

Agreed, but Id like to know what else is out there, just in case. In recent years, it seems DL/OT were always the top picks, with maybe a QB or 2 mentioned. Not so much this year. Kind of surprising.

Agreed, but Id like to know what else is out there, just in case. In recent years, it seems DL/OT were always the top picks, with maybe a QB or 2 mentioned. Not so much this year. Kind of surprising.

It's funny that the pre-draft analysis on Carimi has been all over the map. NFLDraftBible compares him favorably to Russell Okung although they believe him to be a better run blocker; whereas WalterFootball states they'd be surprised if he were drafted in the 1st round and is "by no means" an NFL LT (I think these comments were posted prior to this season, though).

I've seen numerous mock drafts placing him as a top 10 or even top 5 pick but that's far from unanimous. My guess is he will be picked somewhat high if for no other reason than the dearth of quality OTs, as you mentioned, coming out this year.

I'm no expert of course and I certainly do not claim to be, but he certainly looks the part. Maybe he'd be a reach with the 1st pick, but I think taking Heyward at any spot would be entirely justified. Whatever the case, I want a QB, first foremost--- but it has to be the right QB.

Edited by Punch

Here's who we are looking at for OT:

Round 1, About 8th----DeMarcus Love, Arkansas

Round 1, Around 13th--Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State

Round 1, Around 22nd--Anthony Castonzo,Boston College

Round 1, Around 28th--Jason Pinkston ,Pittsburgh

Round 3, Around 1st---Orlando Franklin, Miami

Round 3, Around 19th--Nate Solder, Colorado

Round 3, Around 20th--Gabe Carimi,Wisconsin

Carimi is now being thought of as a good RT.

Astro

we need to figure out the left tackle position so that our qb stays on the field. also need a playmaking outside lb. i think for this upcoming draft we may want to consider trading down and picking up another pick in the top ten of the 2nd round and we use the 3 picks inside the top 40 to take a left tackle, and a couple lb's. then trade to the top of the draft in 2012 and pick up luck. this all sounds easier than it is done.

Astro

Where do you guys have Brewer?

Astro

Here's the guy I've been waiting for! :thumbsup:

I'd love to see your data on D Linemen when you get the chance.

I don't see the Bills reaching for a QB at all.

Unless there is a certifiable Bradford available in the next draft, they'll pass and get the best blue-chip talent available.

This team needs PLAYERS, regardless of position.

GO BILLS!!!