Chris Ellis released

BeastMode54

I really don't get how you cut Ellis before McCargo. How in the world is McCargo still on this team? He should have been cut in training camp.

Probably means they will continue to run their version of a 4-3, rather than the 3-4?

I really don't get how you cut Ellis before McCargo. How in the world is McCargo still on this team? He should have been cut in training camp.

only thing I can think is $. Someone's being stubborn about trying to get SOMETHING out of an expensive investmnt, and not minding cutting the cheaper invesmnt as much. Only thing I can think of to explain that.

Probably means they will continue to run their version of a 4-3, rather than the 3-4?

If that's the case, wouldn't you move Stroud & Sp Johnson back to DT, maybe Edwards too, and not need McCargo even moreso?

Edited by dgrid

I was thinking the same thing and yes, I find it strange that he can go from starter, to after thought, to cut in five weeks.

I completely agree. I don't understand how Trent Edwards could have been good enough to be the Bills' starter one week, and get released just a couple weeks later.

Oh, wait. You were talking about another former third round pick who went from starter to being waived in a very small amount of time! Which leads one to wonder: by the end of the season, how many other week one starters will have been released?

They cut Chris Ellis because LT (Lawrence Taylor) reached a plea bargain with NY state and he's being forced to come out retirement to play for the Bills as part of his agreement.....Way worse than going to jail!! 0:)

I know it's a bad joke.....just like our Bills. :sick:

Just a guess, but having had Virginia Tech season tickets for almost 20 years (where Ellis played) I can tell you that he is anything but a "character guy." He got in trouble more than once at VT and I sense that this has more to do with something off the field than something on it. But, I could be totally wrong - this is complete conjecture on my part.

Oh c'mon.

Is this another high round draft pick, scouted by Modrak and Co. that was just cut?

I'm getting sick of this.

Why is Modrak not cut?

Yep, there goes another Modraft player. He'll still be able to keep his job though.

This is definitely a possibility. Maybe Gailey didn't like his attitude... He must have done something in the locker room, in the film room, etc. to make a bad impression... or maybe he violated the league's substance abuse policy and the appeal is still pending -- the media aren't always made aware of these cases... It's tough to speculate about why a player is cut when we don't know what goes on behind the scenes...

Just a guess, but having had Virginia Tech season tickets for almost 20 years (where Ellis played) I can tell you that he is anything but a "character guy." He got in trouble more than once at VT and I sense that this has more to do with something off the field than something on it. But, I could be totally wrong - this is complete conjecture on my part.

Gailey mentioned in his presser today that it also had to do with Coleman and Moats making impressions at the outside backer position.

i call bull on that one. and if it is true, it justifies kelsay never getting the extension in the first place :wallbash:

Gailey mentioned in his presser today that it also had to do with Coleman and Moats making impressions at the outside backer position.

Well that's good. Still wish they'd dump Kelsay instead of Ellis, though.

Isnt it becoming more clearer that the problems on this team begin with Ralphie, Buddy the Hillybilly and Chan the Roadie

I saw that. But it doesn't make sense to me. The LB's on a whole stink and are injury prone. If Ellis isn't playing well now, then bench him and promote Moats. Do they really need to cut Ellis when there are about 20 scrubs on this roster that they could cut instead? How about cutting McCargo, or Klopfenstein (assuming he hasn't already been cut and re-signed six times this week)?