PFW audibles

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/10/10/insider-d-line-getting-giants-on-track

• "Buffalo just keeps trading away their best players. In hindsight, you look at what they did with Jason Peters. He is only 28 right now. Philly gave up a one (first-round pick), which was the 28th pick, and paid him. To draft a talent that gifted and talented — he would be a top-five pick if he is was coming out in the draft now. That's what is so crazy. Those guys are so hard to find. You look at Peters. You look at Marshawn (Lynch). You look at Roscoe Parrish, who they could not get on the field last year and have dangled (on the trading blocks). I like those guys in the front office, but I really question some of their moves. You gave Peters a contract before you knew he was really good. So what. Pay the guy! He will be there another 10 years. It's funny when you look at Andy Reid's success — he always has good left tackles. Do you think that might help a little bit?"

Yes and Peters has continue to rip it up (and be Andy Ried's "good" left tackle)

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20101011_Eagles_Notes___Eagles__bad_luck_with_injuries_continues.html

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20101009/SPORTS0301/10090339/Jason-Peters-remains-enigma-for-Eagles-as-they-prepare-for-49ers

I get that we need to keep our "star" players, but the Peters argument has been beat to a pulp and the bottom line is the guy isn't that great. Of course neither is D Bell, but RT seems to be the bigger issue than LT for the Bills right now...

No question the front office has made poor and ill advised decisions. But Peters is not one, he hasnt been great for philly since we traded him and by all accounts was not a good locker room presence.

The point is, and always has been, that it should have never gotten to the point that our best player was so disgruntled that he forced the Bills to trade him. No matter what the Brandon apologists want to believe, it takes two sides to have a fight. No team can win if they are actively pissing off the best players they have.

Edit: I say that full well knowing that Peters is not getting it done anymore. 20/20 hindsight does not excuse bad decision making. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

And we got Eric Wood out of the deal.

We got, IMO, an equally as valuable offensive lineman, and lost the holding-the-team-hostage-2-years-in-a-row-even-though-I'm-under-contract negative influence/ distraction.

I was listening to ESPN radio the other day, and some Lombardi guy at NFL Films was talking about how pedestrian Jason Peters has been since his arrival in Philly. He stated that he has all the talent in the world, but does not play up to his potential.

Sounds eerily familiar to when he was in Bills land.

And to consider that he was an undrafted free agent TE who we turned into a Pro Bowl LT...AND we traded him for a 1st rounder, that was one of the bright spots of the past decade for the front office.

im not an apologist.

Peters was good, but it looks like he may have been overrated. He has not performed well since being traded.

As for pissing off best players.... do Evans, Jackson, Moorman, and any other best player seem pissed off?

No. For the record every FO has disputes with players. GB/Favre, NE/Moss, SD/Jackson merriman, we can go on.

There are many credible points against the FO, but the one you are putting forth on Peters isnt one of them.

The point is, and always has been, that it should have never gotten to the point that our best player was so disgruntled that he forced the Bills to trade him. No matter what the Brandon apologists want to believe, it takes two sides to have a fight. No team can win if they are actively pissing off the best players they have.

No it doesn't. Attacks happen all of the time on unsuspecting and innocent parties.

The team has a structure, and Peters offset that structure for 2 years in a row- even though he was under contract. Jason Peters at this point, is Haynesworth-lite. Both have all-world talent, but seldom play up to said potential.

And we don't entirely know what was going on behind closed doors at OBD. Knowing that Peters was lacking motivation, perhaps the plan was to send a message that he needed to work harder and be more of team player for his contract to be renegotiated.

How did Peters respond? He balked, held out, and became a huge distraction to a team in desperate need of a stud LT.

The funny thing is, at the time Buffalo was extending Parrish, Kelsay, and Schobel. Peters, I'm sure was next. But his blunt tactics wore thin. And when was the last time you saw a team like the Patriots cave to a players demands?

Looking at the Pats history this decade, every time a player has scuffled w/management, that player has found themselves shipped out of town.

The Team comes first. There is no single component on a team.

Out of all the ridiculous decisions this team has made in the past, the Peters deal was the one of the BEST ones they've ever made.

That's probably true in retrospect.

But at the time it felt like Anthony Munoz in his prime wasn't going to get $25 M guaranteed from this regime. The way Russ Brandon and team lied about the contract on offer, fed perceptions that he wanted out of Buffalo (he just wanted to get PAID), and otherwise launched a whisper media campaign against the guy was horrible.

The problem is that this front office has lost the benefit of the doubt. And -- let's face it -- even those of us uneasy about the move would have been a heck of lot more accepting if Plan B wasn't moving 370 lb Langston Walker to LT. What were the chances THAT was going to pan out?

No question the front office has made poor and ill advised decisions. But Peters is not one, he hasnt been great for philly since we traded him and by all accounts was not a good locker room presence.

I always laugh when I read or hear this, no matter where it is. This perhaps is the biggest bunch of rationalization horseshit ever spewed in sports. Not about Peters in particular, just in general. Are the players 10 years old or are they professional athletes paid to do a job? One player is having contract issues with management. This is a business above all else. It happens, deal with it. If the player in the dispute slacks off and it negatively affects the team, then kick his ass. I know most players aren't exactly rocket scientists, but I have to believe even they laugh when they read things like "bad locker room presence" and "distraction".

I always laugh when I read or hear this, no matter where it is. This perhaps is the biggest bunch of rationalization horseshit ever spewed in sports. Not about Peters in particular, just in general. Are the players 10 years old or are they professional athletes paid to do a job? One player is having contract issues with management. This is a business above all else. It happens, deal with it. If the player in the dispute slacks off and it negatively affects the team, then kick his ass. I know most players aren't exactly rocket scientists, but I have to believe even they laugh when they read things like "bad locker room presence" and "distraction".

Have you ever played sports before ? You are clueless. For example, Randy moss moved because he was an bad presence.

In the NHL Sheldon Souray was sent down and not even allowed to play on his own AHL team because the Oilers were worried he'd negatively impact the youngsters.

Its a reality in pro sports whether you thinks its bogus or not.

I liked Incognito myself wish we kept him. As for Lynch, I never considered him one of our better players. As a runner, he had little vision, FJ is a much better runner. As a pass receiver he dropped at least one swing pass a game. Take the picks and move on.

yeah..we might have gotten rid of Peters, but look at the great decisions we made getting rid of Owens, Incognito and Lynch...

Edit: I say that full well knowing that Peters is not getting it done anymore. 20/20 hindsight does not excuse bad decision making. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

BS. Our best player was so disgruntled because he was a headcase, asking for a second reworking of his contract in three years. F that.

You have to break down both the Lynch and Peters moves before you criticize them.

Lynch was a numbers move. And also a look at his off field troubles. If he gets in one more altercation or incident off field he will prob miss atleast half a season or more. Plus he also has gotten banged up numerous times. Freddy plas hard and is a leader. Spiller is going to be the starter of the future. Or be used like Bush in N.O.

I love the Peters move. I was listening to the post game Falcons broadcast here in Atlanta. Jeff Van Note does it with a local radio guy.

Now if you dont know who he is, Van Note was the Falcon center for 18 years and played in multiple pro bowls. They started talking about the Eagles, the Falcons next opponent. Mike Vick was relly the topic, but Van Note said the Eagles dont have a good Oline. Van Note stated that Jason Peters is the most overrated LT in the game. Now that is comming from an old oline man, who does not have national coverage, and who knows a thing or two about line play. He is not just spitting back out what Peter King says. The Peters move was a good one. Hopefully Woods goes on to play in a few pro bowls and then even stat guys will see it was the Bills who got it right.

Of course neither is D Bell, but RT seems to be the bigger issue than LT for the Bills right now...

And the team created that mess because they elected to cut a perfectly decent RT.

Have you ever played sports before ? You are clueless. For example, Randy moss moved because he was an bad presence.

In the NHL Sheldon Souray was sent down and not even allowed to play on his own AHL team because the Oilers were worried he'd negatively impact the youngsters.

Its a reality in pro sports whether you thinks its bogus or not.

Yes I have, but not at the professional level.

I have no doubt that GMs etc. make those kind of statements. Whether they mean it or just using it as a convenient excuse is a matter of conjecture. But in any event, I do find it both a ridiculous and humorous concept particularly when talking about adults (your Oilers reference might make sense because some in the AHL are kids).

You seem to believe everything you read or hear, at least if it comes from a sports GM. And I am clueless. :rolleyes: