PLEASE come out Andrew Luck

Given any other options and the promise of a bright future, would you throw your career away in Buffalo?

Going to have to draft a senior with no choice but to declare and force him to come to this festering pile of mismanagement, I'm afraid.

Luck is a clear NFL superstar waiting in the wings, though. I wish he'd come to Buffalo and turn this thing around.

All the Luck-worship is getting a little sickening - it's WAY to early to annoint Luck 'The Savior'. Tthe kid has started less than 20 college football games, and Stanford doesn't exactly play a lot of 'powerhouses'. Luck's improvement from last year is amazing but he still managed to choke against the only Top 25 team he's faced this season, throwing the game-losing INT in the last two minutes.

He should definitely stay in school, finish his degree, and get another year of experience - and that still doesn't guarantee that he'll he any good in the NFL. Anyway, if he does declare for the 2011 draft, no way Buddy Nix will pick him. Nix doesn't like green, inexperienced college QBs. Also way to early to think that Buffalo - not San Francisco, Detroit, Carolina, Oakland/NE*, etc. - will have the opportunity to pick the first QB in the next draft.

(Might be more appropriate for Luck to 'come out' in San Francisco, anyway.)

I think I would be more scared if he decided to come out and the Bills had the #1 pick. The Bills would somehow manage to screw it up and surprise all the experts by bypassing Luck and picking another QB. We then get to enjoy another 10 yrs of misery courtesy of Ralph and his merry band of idiots.

All the Luck-worship is getting a little sickening - it's WAY to early to annoint Luck 'The Savior'. Tthe kid has started less than 20 college football games, and Stanford doesn't exactly play a lot of 'powerhouses'. Luck's improvement from last year is amazing but he still managed to choke against the only Top 25 team he's faced this season, throwing the game-losing INT in the last two minutes.

He should definitely stay in school, finish his degree, and get another year of experience - and that still doesn't guarantee that he'll he any good in the NFL. Anyway, if he does declare for the 2011 draft, no way Buddy Nix will pick him. Nix doesn't like green, inexperienced college QBs. Also way to early to think that Buffalo - not San Francisco, Detroit, Carolina, Oakland/NE*, etc. - will have the opportunity to pick the first QB in the next draft.

If he really doesn't want to come to Buffalo then he better hope other teams pass us on the race for the bottom. If not he could declare after the draft and be part of the supplemental draft, Brian Bosworth style. The ball is in his court, I have no idea as to what his intentions are but I really hope the Bills don't get screwed on this, although in hindsight losing out to Bosworth was a great move.

Note: Bosworth was offered a contract by the Colts so I guess the Bills never would have drafted him anyway

Edited by agardin

no way Buddy Nix will pick him. Nix doesn't like green, inexperienced college QBs. Also way to early to think that Buffalo - not San Francisco, Detroit, Carolina, Oakland/NE*, etc. - will have the opportunity to pick the first QB in the next draft.

Whether Buddy the Blunderer would actually pick him is the real question. Of the teams you listed, only San Francisco would actually draft a qb, and San Francisco was widely thought to have enough talent to compete for their division so there is hardly any chance that they'll finish worse than the Bills. Carolina, the Patriots, and Detroit all have quarterbacks already.

I also think your post lost a lot of credibility when you intimated that Andrew Luck was a homosexual. Classy.

The kid seems promising but I think to evaluate the QB position more time is needed. Just look at how J. Locker status has changed on this board from last year to now, I know everyone in Bills Nation is looking for the next franchise QB but lets pump the breaks here...IMHO,it maybe better to secure both sides of the ball and get a quality vet QB e.g. like Coach Vermeil did with the Rams, when he signed T. Green (only to find a jewel in K. Warner) if the QB's don't grade out as a franchise player.

The impending lockout is certainly a factor for Andrew Luck to consider on whether to come out or not. He is an extremely bright person who is majoring in architectural engineering. As long as Harbaugh is the HC and a lockout is probable odds are he would stay in school for another year. Harbaugh was a coach who the Bills wanted to interview for their HC position. He declined the offer. If it was apparent that Buffalo would have the first pick I'm sure that would be an incentive to stay in school for another year.

it maybe better to secure both sides of the ball and get a quality vet QB e.g. like Coach Vermeil did with the Rams, when he signed T. Green (only to find a jewel in K. Warner) if the QB's don't grade out as a franchise player.

The Rams didn't really secure both sides of the ball and find success with Trent Green, a veteran pickup. They were terrible with their free agent retread and almost imploded until they scored huge finding an NFL rookie to turn things around.

We should want to find the Kurt Warner franchise qb rooke sensation, not some retread. That strategy rarely works.

I mean, what quality veteran do you want? Matt Hasselbeck? Groan.

The impending lockout is certainly a factor for Andrew Luck to consider on whether to come out or not. He is an extremely bright person who is majoring in architectural engineering. As long as Harbaugh is the HC and a lockout is probable odds are he would stay in school for another year. Harbaugh was a coach who the Bills wanted to interview for their HC position. He declined the offer. If it was apparent that Buffalo would have the first pick I'm sure that would be an incentive to stay in school for another year.

That is OK the Bills can pick him with their first overall pick the next year. Just kidding....I hope.

Whether Buddy the Blunderer would actually pick him is the real question. Of the teams you listed, only San Francisco would actually draft a qb, and San Francisco was widely thought to have enough talent to compete for their division so there is hardly any chance that they'll finish worse than the Bills. Carolina, the Patriots, and Detroit all have quarterbacks already.

I could see both Carolina and NE possibly taking Luck or even Mallett high...Carolina is going to have a new HC and probably a new GM...So there will be no loyalty to Clausen...Brady is no spring chicken and up to this point the Pats have done little to secure his eventual heir...The Patsies are most definitely savvy enough to take a Top QB if they fell in love with the Kid...And lets not forget about Cleveland in this mix who would almost assuredly take a Top QB like Luck (assuming he comes out) if they get the chance...So the Bills will have PLENTY of competition for one of the Top QB's in the eventual Top 5 of the 2011 Draft...Getting the #1 Pick or picking 2nd behind Detroit is about their only chance to assure getting the QB of their choice... B-)

While Luck may look good, Nix stated that the Bills will be looking to draft players with a lengthy collegiate resume. QBs are especially prone to ups and downs in college, so the longer the resume and body of work the better your chances are of finding consistency. I would be opposed to drafting any QB in the 1st round, simply due to the fact that the likelihood of drafting a QB who can be successful at the NFL level with such a high investment such as a top 5 pick (which I'm sure we'll have) should be spent on the O-line, unless Bell really develops and demonstrates his ability to be a high quality LT. Again, look at the Dolphins a few years ago, Jake Long, the Browns with the third overall pick, Joe Thomas, both guys have gone to the Pro Bowl, and Thomas has gone a couple times. Detroit took a QB, and they can't keep him healthy due to protection issues, and with Bradford, we're only four games in and while he looks good in some respects the Rams also spent their last several high draft picks on offensive and defensive linemen. In 2005 it was an OT, 2007 and 2008 it was two DT, and then in 2009 it was their LT, THEN they picked their QB. I'm certainly not saying that the Rams are the franchise by which we should model ourselves, but if they are able to finally turn things around it will be a five year plan of using most of their high draft choices on the trenches, even this year in the 2nd round they took an O-lineman.

Point is that this franchise NEEDS a long-term answer to QB but this league is riddled with QBs who have been successful and not taken in the 1st round. I'm NOT saying that we shouldn't spend a high draft choice on a QB such as in the 2nd round, but I also think that you may find a great QB anywhere in the draft and that you just have to realize that this team NEEDS nearly everything and it is a TEAM game, so I am also ok with being patient and seeing in the next 2 drafts where the best QB can come from assuming we're drafting offensive line, defensive line, and LBs and using the FA pick ups for things like TE and WR. Hate to say it, but another successful franchise has done just that, the Patsies. Anyways, right now, there's NO QB that has me salivating at the thought of throwing in the Red, White, and Blue.

Just as a supplement to this post some of the QBs that were NOT taken in the 1st round and are starting (some doing well, and some not) are the following: Tom Brady, Chad Henne, Joe Flacco, Jake Delhome, Matt Schaub, David Garrard, Kyle Orton, Matt Cassel, Tony Romo, Kevin Kolb, Aaron Rogers, Brett Favre, Jimmy Clausen, Drew Brees, Matt Hasselbeck, and (for this week) Max Hall for the Cardinals. There are some pretty good players in this bunch, you may want to pay attention to these!

I also think your post lost a lot of credibility when you intimated that Andrew Luck was a homosexual. Classy.

Didn't intimate that at all, ya knucklehead - in fact, I'm sure he's not a homosexual (not that there's anything wrong with that). It was just a joke alluding to the thread title, and the fact that San Francisco (a.k.a. 'Boy's Town') has a good a chance of being in a position to draft before the Bills (as does New England*). And it doesn't really matter what was 'widely thought' about the 49ers' ability to compete - fact is, they're 0-4 just like the Bills.

BTW - I think your post lost ALL credibility when your referred to Nix as 'Buddy the Blunderer'...

After a successful college football coaching career at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, which included the recruitment of Terrell Owens, Buddy Nix was a regional scout under John John Butler from 1993-2000 for the Buffalo Bills, specializing in the southeast. Nix left Buffalo for San Diego with John Butler and A. J. Smith after the 2000 season. He was initially the Director of Pro Player Personnel (2000–2001), but after Butler died, Smith was promoted to General Manager, and Nix to Assistant General Manager.

Nix's job with the Chargers was to oversee both pro and college scouting and to be one of the main decision makers in each NFL Draft. Nix was a major reason the Chargers turned around from a losing football team to a rebuilt, winning team. In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl. The Chargers won four out of the last five AFC West titles with Nix as Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel, in charge of college scouting and instrumental to the decision making process of their NFL drafts.

Nix was hired as a National Scout for the Buffalo Bills on January 26, 2009. He was named General Manager of the Buffalo Bills on December 31, 2009, after Russ Brandon was promoted to CEO.

Nix has been around too long to become enamored with a sophomore QB from a weak conference. He might get excited about Ryan Mallett, who's probably a better fit for Buffalo and our cold, windy winters anyway.

Yeah, throwing for 341 yards on the road against a ranked team is "choking." <_<

I wish the Bills had a QB who could choke like that.

Doesn't every QB that's going to picked #1 overall know he's going to a bottom feeder? What team with the #1 overall pick is decent? We'll still pay the same amount of money that any other bottom feeder would pay. He'll be a multi-millionaire overnight, never having to worry about money ever again. He can stay in school, but every football player knows they could be 1 play away from a career-ending injury. If you know your going to be the #1 pick overall, why not come out? Because you may improve your draft position next year?

Edited by kas23

Yeah, throwing for 341 yards on the road against a ranked team is "choking." <_<

I wish the Bills had a QB who could choke like that.

Mallett does that just about every week.

Did Luck - down by 14 with just under 3 minutes to play - throw a horrible pass on first down at the Oregon 11 yd line, and the Ducks INT and subsequent TD-drive kill any hopes of the Cardinal coming back to tie in the last 2 minutes?

Maybe you call it 'greatness' - but that's a choke, in my book.

Mallett does that just about every week.

Did Luck - down by 14 with just under 3 minutes to play - throw a horrible pass on first down at the Oregon 11 yd line, and the Ducks INT and subsequent TD-drive kill any hopes of the Cardinal coming back to tie in the last 2 minutes?

Maybe you call it 'greatness' - but that's a choke, in my book.

I didn't call it "greatness."

Luck this, Luck that...maybe he'll be great, maybe he won't, but you know what, even though it's apparent that the majority here don't want to hear it......we need to have a look at, ready for this; Brian Brohm first of all. The kid deserves the chance, almost certainly will get it, and just might surprise.

You're right - didn't mean to put words in your mouth. All you said was that he threw for a bunch of yards against a ranked team. All I said was, big deal - with the game on the line and the ball on the Oregon 11, he choked.

341 yards on the road against a ranked team is more than "a bunch of yards." So he threw an int at the 4th quarter- big deal- he did more than enough to win the game if his defense could've stopped Oregon.

341 yards on the road against a ranked team is more than "a bunch of yards." So he threw an int at the 4th quarter- big deal- he did more than enough to win the game if his defense could've stopped Oregon.

Good point. Fitz did more than enough to beat New England, the Jets, and Jacksonville - if only our defense could have stopped them. So I guess we're all set at QB.

Good point. Fitz did more than enough to beat New England, the Jets, and Jacksonville - if only our defense could have stopped them. So I guess we're all set at QB.

Whatever, dude. Just responding to your ludicrous argument that Luck is a "choker" based on one throw.

I agree that it's too early to make definitive statements about Andrew Luck, but in addition to the arm, poise, decision-making etc., he plays with a good deal of controlled fire. Set forth below is a link from last night's Stanford win over USC where he decleats a defender after a Stanford fumble.

The Rams didn't really secure both sides of the ball and find success with Trent Green, a veteran pickup. They were terrible with their free agent retread and almost imploded until they scored huge finding an NFL rookie to turn things around.

We should want to find the Kurt Warner franchise qb rooke sensation, not some retread. That strategy rarely works.

I mean, what quality veteran do you want? Matt Hasselbeck? Groan.

Where did I say the Rams secured both side of the ball? My Rams point was getting a vet QB that can play the scheme of the OC (reading is fun-da-men-tal).

Not sure what rookie your talking about...but they picked up M. Faulk, Zimmerman,T. Green and K. warner in one off-season before this they were as bumbling as our home-team.You ask what vet QB, hell who knew of T. Green or M. Hasselbeck before their previous QB coaches/ OC got the chance to HC. My point is just because your a good college player does not mean you'll have success in the NFL, too many examples to list. You guys here amaze me with the unknown unproven rookie/player being better than players that have already adjusted to the league...If OBD is gonna go the prize rookie QB route, they better well be ready to pony up the coin for some quality vet lineman and btw the league is moving away from the stationary QB (blitz pkg expose them all too well). This rookie better be able to move his feet & keep focused down field or he'll be shell-shocked like so many others.

While Luck may look good, Nix stated that the Bills will be looking to draft players with a lengthy collegiate resume. QBs are especially prone to ups and downs in college, so the longer the resume and body of work the better your chances are of finding consistency. I would be opposed to drafting any QB in the 1st round, simply due to the fact that the likelihood of drafting a QB who can be successful at the NFL level with such a high investment such as a top 5 pick (which I'm sure we'll have) should be spent on the O-line, unless Bell really develops and demonstrates his ability to be a high quality LT. Again, look at the Dolphins a few years ago, Jake Long, the Browns with the third overall pick, Joe Thomas, both guys have gone to the Pro Bowl, and Thomas has gone a couple times. Detroit took a QB, and they can't keep him healthy due to protection issues, and with Bradford, we're only four games in and while he looks good in some respects the Rams also spent their last several high draft picks on offensive and defensive linemen. In 2005 it was an OT, 2007 and 2008 it was two DT, and then in 2009 it was their LT, THEN they picked their QB. I'm certainly not saying that the Rams are the franchise by which we should model ourselves, but if they are able to finally turn things around it will be a five year plan of using most of their high draft choices on the trenches, even this year in the 2nd round they took an O-lineman.

Point is that this franchise NEEDS a long-term answer to QB but this league is riddled with QBs who have been successful and not taken in the 1st round. I'm NOT saying that we shouldn't spend a high draft choice on a QB such as in the 2nd round, but I also think that you may find a great QB anywhere in the draft and that you just have to realize that this team NEEDS nearly everything and it is a TEAM game, so I am also ok with being patient and seeing in the next 2 drafts where the best QB can come from assuming we're drafting offensive line, defensive line, and LBs and using the FA pick ups for things like TE and WR. Hate to say it, but another successful franchise has done just that, the Patsies. Anyways, right now, there's NO QB that has me salivating at the thought of throwing in the Red, White, and Blue.

Just as a supplement to this post some of the QBs that were NOT taken in the 1st round and are starting (some doing well, and some not) are the following: Tom Brady, Chad Henne, Joe Flacco, Jake Delhome, Matt Schaub, David Garrard, Kyle Orton, Matt Cassel, Tony Romo, Kevin Kolb, Aaron Rogers, Brett Favre, Jimmy Clausen, Drew Brees, Matt Hasselbeck, and (for this week) Max Hall for the Cardinals. There are some pretty good players in this bunch, you may want to pay attention to these!

I agree with you totally but these guys were picked in round 1.