simon's rant...

rpcolosi

so I'm in Japan and choose not to listen to much on WGR, but while listening to the sabres game they played a little rant by howard simon over sully, and dang it, he was DEAD on. Sully is clearly, CLEARLY biased against Nix. He just doesn't like the guy for basically making him look like a DB at that press conference awhile back. I also think Sully still has a huge bone for anything Boston, and loves to bash anything and everything the Bills do. Not that the team doesn't deserve some bashing, but c'mon give Nix some freaking time to clean up this mess! Simon said as much and it was frankly refreshing to hear at least one buffalo sports media guy with some sense and rationale...

go sabres!

so I'm in Japan and choose not to listen to much on WGR, but while listening to the sabres game they played a little rant by howard simon over sully, and dang it, he was DEAD on. Sully is clearly, CLEARLY biased against Nix. He just doesn't like the guy for basically making him look like a DB at that press conference awhile back. I also think Sully still has a huge bone for anything Boston, and loves to bash anything and everything the Bills do. Not that the team doesn't deserve some bashing, but c'mon give Nix some freaking time to clean up this mess! Simon said as much and it was frankly refreshing to hear at least one buffalo sports media guy with some sense and rationale...

go sabres!

You in Tokyo? Living here or visiting? I live near Shinjuku.

Sullivan is the master of the half-truth, the spin, the second-guess. I can't for the life of me understand why people get wound up over the vomitus to which he "treats" us. We - and I mean "we" as a Western New York community, not "we" as the people who post here - will never Never NEVER get anything even remotely resembling "I was wrong" from Jerry Sullivan once the Bills turn things around.

I mean...N-E-V-E-R.

He'll dance and two-step around everything he's ever written. Jerry Sullivan has a career just waiting for him in Albany. Lt. Governor Sullivan....hmmm......

Where are you in Japan? Do you enjoy sushi? If so, you're in Mecca.

Simon goes on a rant once or twice a season, so this isn't surprising. If you listen regularly, Simon and White bemoan the team but clearly do not know how a team is built nor that it can be done quickly with sufficient resources. This is a main problem of TBD as well.

When Simon and White make their points to Sully, it's a conflation of arguments, half-truths, and taking things out of context. Either they're dumb enough to believe themselves, or are showcasing a persona they don't truly believe. I'd say the former.

First, Simon and White attacked Sully's opinion that the franchise needed to bottom out. Sully wanted the team to bottom out, ergo, it's what you wanted and you shouldn't be upset. Well, it's one thing to bottom out with some pieces on the roster to build on. But this team has very little with which to build, particularly at QB, OT, and pass-rushers, the premier and required positions for success. Not all of it is Nix and Gailey's fault, but they eschewed opportunities to acquire some guys. And they drafted a RB who while talented, doesn't address their gigantic holes on the OL and DL. Rebuilding teams don't have the luxury of taking BPA. And their other early picks are not playing or hurt. Not a good start when other teams have so many guys contributing.

Which brings me to point 2: that it takes a full regular and post-season to evaluate the roster. That should have been done, regardless of the previous system, in the off-season with film study and in practice. No, they can't turn the roster completely over, but it's absurd to think they needed regular season snaps to know what Fewell did in 09 re: T. Edwards.

Lastly, Simon and White attacked Sully for saying Lynch needed to go long ago. Unloading Lynch may have brought only mid round picks now or in April, but it would have opened up the backfield for Jackson and Lynch to team up rather than crowd them with a third guy needing touches. You can't quantify this, but undoubtedly they'd be better with only two backs needing carries than three AND having picks without a Lynch distraction.

Most of Sully's point is that the Bills are prolonging the rebuilding process by doing the work in the regular season that most teams do in the off-season. Think Mike Shanahan needed 2-3 games to evaluate Jason Campbell? No sir. And he also points out that moves like re-signing Kelsay is a waste, when it contradicts them wanting good players who produce. Since when has CK produced on the field? Leaders who can't play aren't worth what that guy received.

Talent evaluators are not all created equal and here the organization has not earned the benefit of the doubt. White and Simon are like goober fans who don't possess the savvy to make moves when it's the right time. Sully may be critical, but this team has earned nothing in the way of credibility. They have a lot to prove and I'd trust Jerry Sullivan to rebuild the Bills more than Simon and White who are wedded to playing the role of schlubs that retreat into absolutes when the subject is so multi-faceted.

I keep saying it - just ignore Sullivan. Dont listen and don't read him and he won't bother you. I stopped long ago when I realized he evolved - or devolved from a sports jounalist to a media buffoon. He's an act and I just don't care for the act in the same way I couldn't stand watching Jerry Lewis - it's the same schtick every time. So stop listening to him and reading him and you will discover what I did - the guy is just not relevant.

Edited by Green Lightning

Sullivan is the master of the half-truth, the spin, the second-guess. I can't for the life of me understand why people get wound up over the vomitus to which he "treats" us. We - and I mean "we" as a Western New York community, not "we" as the people who post here - will never Never NEVER get anything even remotely resembling "I was wrong" from Jerry Sullivan once the Bills turn things around.

Why would Sullivan have to admit he was wrong. He's never said they will never turn things around. As always, people seem to imagine Sullivan said different things than he actually said.

I worked for Jepico in the mid nineties and visted Shinjuku and also the Tama branch they had

That's just around the time I moved here.

If Sullivan was merely critical, I wouldn't have a problem with him. He's an irrational whiny little B word who doesn't use all sides of a situation to form an opinion. He forms an opinion, then seeks out stuff that supports it, including half-truths.

Sully may be critical, but this team has earned nothing in the way of credibility.

go sabres!

so why is Sully still around? because he is a reflection of the general population of the area. downer, negative, nothing is ever right, etc etc. he is perfect for the WNY market.. Howard Simon is terrific. If he didnt have family ties to the area, he would have been gone long ago.. must turn his stomach to have to deal with such a crappy media market..

go sabres!

Sully has nothing personal against these GMs. He criticized (and probably in a biased way) Nix, Levy, Donahoe etc. That is his job and it is in his employer's interest to kindle a fire under the Bills management....

You guys always forget one small thing when you get rolling on a circle-jerk of Sullivan bashing:

He is right.

I know it hurts to have to look in the mirror and not like what you see, but he has been calling the Bills a failure for a decade and uh, is right on the money.

I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is. If you want propaganda, read what Chris Brown writes. If you want to know how the Bills are actually seen by the rest of the football world, read Sullivan.

Simple.

so why is Sully still around? because he is a reflection of the general population of the area. downer, negative, nothing is ever right, etc etc. he is perfect for the WNY market.. Howard Simon is terrific. If he didnt have family ties to the area, he would have been gone long ago.. must turn his stomach to have to deal with such a crappy media market..

The reason the fans are negative isn't difficult to find. The team sucks. Has for years, consistently, without let-up. When Sully says negative things, he's correctly identifying the status quo at OBD. I guess he could say "Gee, don't worry, things look good, if you squint hard enough," or "Well, the Bills have only allowed 31.25 points per game so far this year, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel," or "If everybody plays better and the coaches coach better and things go our way, we could still make the playoffs," but anyone saying those things would be an idiot.

Let's look at what Sully has said. He started by saying in the off-season that the Bills looked like they might be candidates for the worst team in the league. That they weren't a playoff team this year. Huge outcry on the boards about how Sully was a downer, Sully was wrong, Sully never said anything good about the Bills. Result: Sully was right.

Sully said from training camp on that Trent wasn't an NFL QB, and that Gailey should have known that before the season from looking at game film. Massive outcry on the boards. Nobody knows how they'll do, and maybe Trent could surprise us. Sully is too negative, they said, Sully is an idiot and a whiner. Result: Sully was right.

The facts are that Sully hasn't been wrong yet. In a few cases, his opinion can never be proved wrong or right (having held on to Trent and given him most of the reps, Sully said he should have given him more of a chance, that in the first place he should have cut him in the preseason or made him a backup if you felt we needed him there, but having given him the starting job and most of the reps he should have been given more of a chance. Result: debatable.) But he hasn't been wrong yet.

Face facts. You folks who don't like Sully do so for two reasons, personal preference, which is understandable but individual, and because he says horrible things about a horrible team, which is a pretty reasonable thing to do. He's even said he has hope for the future, that we should enjoy seeing young guys take steps and develop this year. Nobody wants to hear it. Sully's been right on.

You guys always forget one small thing when you get rolling on a circle-jerk of Sullivan bashing:

He is right.

I know it hurts to have to look in the mirror and not like what you see, but he has been calling the Bills a failure for a decade and uh, is right on the money.

I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is. If you want propaganda, read what Chris Brown writes. If you want to know how the Bills are actually seen by the rest of the football world, read Sullivan.

Simple.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Edited by Thurman#1

You in Tokyo? Living here or visiting? I live near Shinjuku.

Wow. Bills fans in Tokyo. Never would have thought. I come about every two years - I was there in April for the International Kyudo Seminar and tournament. Hope you don't mind if I drop you a line the next time I have to come and get tested.

He is right.

Simple.

Well said. I don't understand why people bash Sully. This may be the worst organization in pro sports. The truth hurts.