Opinions on Cam Heyward (OSU DE)

ohiotim

Watching the OSU/Indiana game, impressed by OSU DE Cameron Heyward. Kid is 6-5, about 290, and is a legit pass rusher. Starting reading scouting reports on him, all have him best suited to play DE in a 3-4. Looks like he's a Top 10, if not Top 5, pick in the next draft.

If (big if) Fitz holds it together for the remainder of the season, anyone see a scenario where we draft Heyward (or possibly a different defensive stud, preferably a pass rushing DE or OLB) instead of a QB, and then either draft a QB in Rd 2 or 3 to sit behind Fitz for a year?

Drafting a QB next year would be a wasted pick in the first round. I'd pick a DL or OL player in the first 7 rounds.

Build the lines and watch every one else start to look good all of a sudden.

Let's see how the QB situation develops...

Yours is not a popular viewpoint on this board

I tend towards it myself, though.

The only thing I can't decide is if we need OL or DL more urgently. I'm leaning towards DL.

Yet...WTF? with Kelsay

The last time we took a QB in the first round his name was Jim Kelly. That worked out pretty good. You don't get a chance to take QB's in the top 3 very often. Unless we sign a QB worthy of note in FA we must take one with our first pick. We will then most likely have the 33 pick also for all the other holes on this team.

The last time we took a QB in the first round his name was Jim Kelly. That worked out pretty good. You don't get a chance to take QB's in the top 3 very often. Unless we sign a QB worthy of note in FA we must take one with our first pick. We will then most likely have the 33 pick also for all the other holes on this team.

Comeon JP wasn't drafted that long ago to forget was he, i realize you might want to but he was out last!

Watching the OSU/Indiana game, impressed by OSU DE Cameron Heyward. Kid is 6-5, about 290, and is a legit pass rusher. Starting reading scouting reports on him, all have him best suited to play DE in a 3-4. Looks like he's a Top 10, if not Top 5, pick in the next draft.

If (big if) Fitz holds it together for the remainder of the season, anyone see a scenario where we draft Heyward (or possibly a different defensive stud, preferably a pass rushing DE or OLB) instead of a QB, and then either draft a QB in Rd 2 or 3 to sit behind Fitz for a year?

He is good , I wasthinking new england might grab him with the raiders first , two more guys to keep an eye on as top 10 defensive front 7 guys are adrian clayborn De Iowa he seems to have the abilty to get the the qb a little better then heyward and Bruce carter Olb who can have great speed off the edge

DraftTek has him 14th best player on our Big Board,

http://www.drafttek....2011players.asp

behind d-linemen Clayborn, Paea, and Dareus.

I'd see him as a possible 2nd first rounder if the Bills take

QB or OT with their first pick.

hey astrobot where do they have bruce carter fron North carolina. He seems to be the kind of outside linebacker we need.

19th. Love the guy. I hope we parlay our picks in some way to get Carter and a QB.

moving from 33-36 to 19 is not unreasonable. rookie cap/pay scale might change that but most years you can find someone looking to get out of round one

moving from 33-36 to 19 is not unreasonable. rookie cap/pay scale might change that but most years you can find someone looking to get out of round one

I'd agree. The next OLB34 guy I like is Jabaal Sheard, but he's #120 on our Board, so maybe 3rd round for him.

That's why I wouldn't be surprised if our pick is a OLB in RD#1--it's not a good draft for OLB yet. Way too early to know for sure due to juniors declaring, progress on the CBA, etc.

I say if you think a QB is special you get him but you don't force it like the Losman pick ( ie the guy we wanted is off the board who's next at that position)otherwise I'm looking for OL, OLBs, DEs, NTs, WRs, TE's in that order.

Can't disagee with that

Lets hope bell comes on here and we can move on to other needs. fingers crossed on him . Thay have played some of the best d'e this year. Sunday will be interesting to see how we stack up against a team that does not have an elite unit .

I think it's pretty rare to draft 3-4 DE's high; those guys typically just have to play strong, eat up linemen, and let the LB's get to the QB. I haven't see Heyward, but if he's as good as you say, wouldn't be surprised if he plays DE in a 4-3 scheme somewhere to give him more opportunities to get to the QB.

Ha, I was going to remind you of the prolific Jonathan Paul, but I see you caught yourself.

I'm only in favor of drafting a QB if his name is Luck or Mallett. Otherwise, build up that DLine however it can be done.

Drafting a QB next year would be a wasted pick in the first round. I'd pick a DL or OL player in the first 7 rounds.

Build the lines and watch every one else start to look good all of a sudden.

totally agree.... unless its Andrew Luck. But I suspect he will not declare this year. I'm with you and would much rather a can't miss OT or DL and pick up a QB in the 2nd (maybe a guy like pryor).

Drafting a 3 - 4 DE in the first is NOT a good move. 3 - 4 DEs don't get a lot of opportunities to make sacks. Look at Tyson Jackson.

If we want to draft a pass rusher in the first round, it will be an OLB. They're the guys who get the sacks in this defense (and please, folks, don't bring up Bruce Smith - name two more all-time sack artists who are 3 - 4 DEs).

Anyway, is it possible that we grab a sack artist instead of a QB? IMHO, if we simply don't see a QB who we believe in, it's very possible indeed. It would probably be down to, ideally, OLB and LT in that case, with WR being an outside possibility. That would probably extend the rebuild for another year or so, but maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea.

I say if you think a QB is special you get him but you don't force it like the Losman pick ( ie the guy we wanted is off the board who's next at that position)otherwise I'm looking for OL, OLBs, DEs, NTs, WRs, TE's in that order.

This.

It seems obvious to me right now, but the season is still early and the priorities may be adjusted between now and the end of the year. The Bills are too bad to force anything at any position. Except for RB and DB, they really are almost in a pure "best player available regardless of position" situation for every pick in every round.

Pat Kirwan had a good article this past summer on the importance of OLBs in a 3-4 defense, and I couldn't agree with him more. When you look at the top teams who run a 3-4, the common characteristic is that all of them have a stud at OLB. Right now the Bills don't even have a viable starter at OLB, let alone a playmaker.

Seeing as Whaley and Nix both came from teams that had success drafting OLBs, hopefully their luck will continue over with the Bills. With the exception of a few, many of the top OLBs playing in the NFL were either 1st or 2nd round picks, and it would be wise for the Bills to draft an OLB early in this draft or the next.

If the Bills end up with a top three pick then I would love to see Luck (if he declares) or Mallet being the Bills pick. However, if the Bills are picking in the 3-10 range, I would love to see them take a look at Robert Quinn, assuming he comes back strong following his suspension.

http://www.nfl.com/n...efenses-success

Edited by DaBills51

If Robert Quinn declares I think we should look at him. I think he has the athleticism to play OLB in a 3-4.

Beat me to it while I was editing my post. I couldn't agree with you more, however, I believe the Bills should only take a look at Quinn if one of the top 2 QBs are off the board.

Beat me to it while I was editing my post. I couldn't agree with you more, however, I believe the Bills should only take a look at Quinn if one of the top 2 QBs are off the board.

I agree that Quinn is a beast. But depending on draft position I think we should be looking at Quinn,Ayers, or Clayborn with our first rounder.

I like Claboirne from Iowa better. better rusher IMO. I could see either of them as out pick if the QB isnt there, and I would be ok with that.

I just can't see Clayborn as an OLB in a 3-4. I believe he could play the position, but he is much better suited for a 4-3. Depending on the position I wouldn't be opposed to the pick. There are a lot of options for a team looking for a rush linebacker in the 1st round this year, but after that there is a huge drop-off in talent.

I just can't see Clayborn as an OLB in a 3-4. I believe he could play the position, but he is much better suited for a 4-3. Depending on the position I wouldn't be opposed to the pick. There are a lot of options for a team looking for a rush linebacker in the 1st round this year, but after that there is a huge drop-off in talent.

Don't sleep on Dontay Moch,kid reportedly ran a 4.2 flat(not a typo), and he's an OLB.At 6 foot 1 245 pounds, he has nice size as well.

Edited by mob16151

The bills have one hell of a lot of needs and not enough picks to get everything they need. They will have high picks in each round, but will really have to score big in every round to make a difference. Won't grabbing free agents be tough next year with the cap issues?? No cap would make it difficult to propose a contract to a player that won't screw the team if a cap is re-established.

O line, d line, LB and QB. What order? Dunno. Young qb needs protection, strong running game to help him. This means o-line help. Needs defense that can stop the run so he has time to use the run game to win games - not forcing the qb to throw (carry the team on his arm). Need d-linemen. Defense also needs to hit opposing quarterback often to disrupt the passing game and keep the score low enough to help take pressure off our Offense. Need Linebackers. Its gonna need to be one hell of a draft. :(

Edited by please stop the pain

Who do you like better? Ayers or Carter? I think Carter is a little undersized for the 3-4 personally.

Ayers because he'll be more versatile, being able to play Strongside ILB or OLB. Don't see that for Carter who will likely end up in a 4-3. "Versatile" is a good thing when you're the Bills. Ayers would be faster/quicker than our ILB's, and is disruptive on blitzes. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JfbubpV9Jo Whoah.