Vann McElroy...

This is the best article I've seen on the guy and his troubles.

Hence the reason I linked to it in the original post! :wallbash:

I honestly think Washington is a victim in this case, from what I have read and heard.

Now, I don't know if he is an NFL caliber starter, but I agree the Bills might benefit from giving him a shot.

Now there may be more to the story, and a reason no team is willing to sign him (after all, Vick is playing in the NFL and what he did is FAR FAR worse). Maybe the guy has other issues preventing teams from pursuing him. Of course, this could be an NFL blackball, too.

Hey Dean -

I am happy to see we agree on something...and that you MAYBE think I added a worthy thread to the forum. (Yes, I know it has been brought up before...but I thought it needed to be reviewed again, given our recent failures and transactions.

I certainly think this guy deserves a chance...not even a 2nd chance, he is still deserving of his FIRST chance in the NFL. I really do not understand why NOBODY has given him a shot. I really think he could be a decent player with a HUGE chip on his shoulders. If he were to come in, compete and win a starting job, or any job...and then perform at a respectable level...all the nonsense talk that he may hear, would certainly come to an abrupt end. I do not think it is as bad as it sounds or looks, given the circumstances.

I have a feeling somebody is going to give him a chance and that team will be very surprised and lucky to have done so...I hope it's us!

PS. What do you mean by it being an "NFL blackball?" You think it's Goodell's doing that he is not in the league???

If that's the case then I'm not sure why this is even an issue? BIG difference between a blood relative and a step sister.

The article, and everything else I've seen on this, says biological sister. That surely is enough to attract strong disaprobation given that incest is probably the strongest social taboo.

Its certainly true that there are guys playing professionally who have done worse, much worse things. It is also true that this kid deserves his shot at playing in the NFL. Unfortunately I doubt he will get it. The NFL is one of the most public venues in America, possibly the most public. Holding up incest to the public in crowded stadiums, team lockerrooms and in the national media might just be impossible to do. One cannot rationalize this result but therein lies the rub. There is nothing necessarily rational about our reactions to taboos. They are instinctive. We are more tolerant of more serious offences like vehicular homocide because we can identify with the wrongdoer - "There but for the grace of God go I". When it comes to incest though, we don't react in this way. Quite the contrary.

Uh, no. Not now, not ever.

There are some mistakes in life you just don't get a pass on. Sexin up your sister is one of them.

You can bang a dog, a goat, a cow or a freaking Llama and I might forgive you. You just don't do your sister....EVER!

What makes it worse is the scout saying:

""What disturbs me is that I don't know if he sees anything wrong with it. He said where he comes from, this kind of thing happens all the time."

Wow...what the heck is going on in New Orleans?? That kind of thing happens all the time there? I thought that only happened in West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, and up in the Ozarks of Missouri...

PS. What do you mean by it being an "NFL blackball?" You think it's Goodell's doing that he is not in the league???

I simply can't fathom why the guy wouldn't get even a sniff from an NFL team unless:

1. He simply isn't very good. But I find it hard to believe that every NFL FO thinks the kid has zero shot at making their roster. Still it is a possibility. Maybe they simply don't think he is good ENOUGH to counter the bad press they are likely to get if they sign him. After all, he is a convicted sex offender (as ridiculous as that label is in this situation).

2. There is more to the story, or there are more stories that have kept every NFL team away. It could be he comes across poorly, has been given poor recommendations by his previous coaches/teammates, etc. But judging by what I have read and heard, it seems as though his former coaches have great things to say about him and he is described as "gentle" in articles. So while I doubt this, I suppose there is a chance there are other issues that have not been made public.

3. The NFL has let teams know they don't want him in the league. I don't know how they would do this. I really don't tend to believe conspiracy theories, as a rule. But I suppose there is a way for Goodell to let the teams know the league prefers this kid not be a part of the NFL organization. I don't think this is likely or probably, but certainly possible.

I'm sure I could think of many more reasons, but would they be any more likely than these? I wish I could be more eloquent, but this is just weird to me. But based on some responses in this thread, perhaps there really are people who judge based solely on a label and refuse to look deeper at the reason for the label.

There are sex offenders who stalk and rape, and there are sex offenders who got caught taking a leak in some bushes too close to an elementary school. There are 30-year old men who are convicted of statutory rape of their 13-year old "girlfriends" while some convicted of the same crime are guys who just turned 18 and had sex with their 16/almost 17 year old girlfriend. Same label HUGE difference, IMO. While this guy may be a convicted sex offender, he hardly fits the profile most imagine, if the stories like this article are to be believed. I would think the NFL, or any individual team, could get a lot of positive mileage out of signing a guy like this if they properly managed the story. But that would involve risk I suppose. And I guess it's worth it when a guy is as talented as Michael Vick, but not when he is unproven in the NFL.

What makes it worse is the scout saying:

""What disturbs me is that I don't know if he sees anything wrong with it. He said where he comes from, this kind of thing happens all the time."

Wow...what the heck is going on in New Orleans?? That kind of thing happens all the time there? I thought that only happened in West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, and up in the Ozarks of Missouri...

While the scout stated what disturbed him regarding Tony, I believe what the scout stated prior to that is a little disturbing as well.

“I worry about this kid. Whether it's that again or something else, he has a history of serious problems”

I may be in the minority here, but I truly believe that crimes such as DWI's and DUI's are more serious than what Tony was charged for. The article clearly states that the sex was consensual, and while his transgressions were morally reprehensible, his actions placed no third party in immediate harm.

The NFL will give repeat offenders like Leonard Little, Chris Henry, Pacman Jones, Chris McAllister, and Tank Johnson second chances, and yet one crime committed at the age of 16 is unforgivable and demonstrates a history of serious problems?? I'm sorry, but I don't believe that having consensual sex with your sister is as unforgivable an act as manslaughter, assault, or possession of a loaded firearm.

Uh, no. Not now, not ever.

There are some mistakes in life you just don't get a pass on. Sexin up your sister is one of them.

You can bang a dog, a goat, a cow or a freaking Llama and I might forgive you. You just don't do your sister....EVER!

Very Holy, thou art.

There's an old definition:

"Kentucky Virgin" "Girl who can run faster than all of her brothers"

Kids growing up unsupervised in the inner city, without moral guidance from the adults around them, see and experience a hell of a lot worse

than experimental sex with a sister. I bet if the King of Kings were viewing the hearts of the NFL, there is more than one player with similar in his back.

Not 'cuz it's right, just 'cuz sex is free entertainment and way more harmless than most of what else is around to get into.

I personally think a grown-up professional torturing dogs or using his goons to (at best) take advantage of a drunken girl and keep her friends away while he does it, is less excusable. I'm not against those guys getting a 2nd chance, I am with those who say why can't Washington get a first chance.