Well Sully is dead on this week.

DarthICE

But, it does raise question marks when the Bills have least talented team in the league and 0 of their 2010 rookies are capable of making a discernible impact or even getting on the field. Yea, I included Spiller in that statement.

This is absolutely troubling, but I think there's a somewhat reasonable explanation, at least through 4 weeks. Obviously, with the release of Edwards, the Lynch trade, players getting shuffled around at different positions, etc. the coaching staff and front office are evaluating the veterans first to figure out who is worth keeping and slowly letting the rookie's dip their toes in. The young guys are getting more reps as the season goes on up to this point, and I believe that will only increase; which may include Brian Brohm starting in the relatively near future.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the sense that they might like to bring the rookies along slowly seeing that the majority of the draft picks on D are playing completely different positions with responsibilities to which they are not accustomed. This adds to the already difficult transition from college to the NFL. As for Spiller, he's participating in many more offensive plays than he is receiving touches--- he's still not consistent at blitz pick ups but he's getting the reps in those situations (3rd downs, 2 minute drills) and also seeing a lot of work lining up at receiver. In other words, he's being developed to be an all around player and will surely see his touches increase now that Lynch is gone.

Having said that, it is entirely possible this "regime" is no better than the previous 10 years worth(less), but at this point the more optimistic Bills fans (myself included) are giving them a (perhaps undeserved) benefit of the doubt.

Just my $0.02.

Edited by Punch

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dead on?

lmao

sully is a shrill loud mouthed douche. why anybody pays attention to him i have no idea. well actually i do but its impolite to say

and once again people can only think binary. if you reject sully that must mean you endorse this mgmt team without question. no middle ground

truth is sully is rehashing the same stupid frantic panicky bull **** that the fans are. thats why some fans love him, cuz he says the dumbass things they say

doesnt mean you cant evaluate and question the decisions of the bills staff, but the extreme hysterical nature of those questions is where the problem is

hell, if i was gm i wouldnt want to deal with you people either

four games into the first season of a total rebuild project and suddenly thats enough information to determine these guys are in over their heads? really?!?

hey its your right as fans to be hysterical and panicky, but i dont want to read it from my sports journalists

Wow, way to lecture my logic with a completely retarded situation that is not at all analogous to what I was saying. :wallbash:

Uhh, uhhh, its like, uhhh, a crackhead asking for crack..uhhhh.

Moron

Thats funny that you call me a moron yet it is you that is reverting to name calling and it is you that can't even hit the "Reply" button to reply to my post.

My point is pretty simple.

You state that because fans buy tickets to games and buy merchandise

. . .The fans deserve to know what is going on . . .

Fan is short for fanatic.

People are going to buy tickets and merchandise for the team no matter what the record of the team is; this is the NFL. People debate on message boards for hours. People will go to the stadium.

My point is pretty clear, buying a ticket or a jersey does not mean you deserve to have the GM of a sports team tell you their plan.

Sorry my attempt at abstract humor confused you.

BTW Unions are an antiquated form of organizing labor forces and are easily corrupted. In many cases Unions become a worse oppressor of the work force than the "ownership."

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

I could care less how much Nix says...the bottom line is he is a very good talent evaluator and if he drafts enough good players, he could have me or my grandma out on the sideline coaching and they will still win games.

Sullivan believes Buddy should sit down with the media and explain every move. Well, there are many factors that go into a decision. You don't waive a #1 draft pick for missing a voluntary camp. Bell could have been useful but Nix may have had plans for a player for player trade using Lynch and another player, we will never know.

Gailey and Nix wanted to watch Edwards first hand and I give them credit for that. The Bills evaluated,then moved on!

Nice article but ONE SIDED VIEW.

Exactly it's hard for ole Jer to realize but the GM is not going to sit down with the local "rag" and discuss who is starting and why. I total understood rolling the dice with Edwards, it was a slim chance but they took it. The QB for next year is not on this roster. Lynch would not have fetched a 4th rounder in the summer - have to prove it on the field and he did and they received value for him. Good organizations typically rookies won't play much- about time we didn't draft for the upcoming year have a plan- they do

This is absolutely troubling, but I think there's a somewhat reasonable explanation, at least through 4 weeks. Obviously, with the release of Edwards, the Lynch trade, players getting shuffled around at different positions, etc. the coaching staff and front office are evaluating the veterans first to figure out who is worth keeping and slowly letting the rookie's dip their toes in. The young guys are getting more reps as the season goes on up to this point, and I believe that will only increase; which may include Brian Brohm starting in the relatively near future.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the sense that they might like to bring the rookies along slowly seeing that the majority of the draft picks on D are playing completely different positions with responsibilities to which they are not accustomed. This adds to the already difficult transition from college to the NFL. As for Spiller, he's participating in many more offensive plays than he is receiving touches--- he's still not consistent at blitz pick ups but he's getting the reps in those situations (3rd downs, 2 minute drills) and also seeing a lot of work lining up at receiver. In other words, he's being developed to be an all around player and will surely see his touches increase now that Lynch is gone.

Having said that, it is entirely possible this "regime" is no better than the previous 10 years worth(less), but at this point the more optimistic Bills fans (myself included) are giving them a (perhaps undeserved) benefit of the doubt.

Just my $0.02.

Good post Punch.

I know some good journalists who frequent here will defend him, but I find Sullivan to be a really irresponsible writer.

A report (not a charge, not a conviction) that a policeman smelled marijuana in Lynch's car becomes "There was a soft side to Lynch, if you only looked past the hit-and-run, the loaded gun and drugs in the car, the boorish behavior in public."

I'm not saying Marshawn never did drugs or didn't have them in his car, but the fact is that this was never proven in a court of law, not even alleged to the point where he was charged for it. So you have one man's word - and that man for some reason didn't feel confident enough to charge Lynch - vs. Marshawn's. Meanwhile, Jerry's apparently done enough hardcore investigative journalism to convict Lynch in the court of public opinion.

I'm sorry for anyone who likes him or enjoys having a beer with him - that's a dick move.

nice post punch. i wish they had the +1 or thanks/groan feature here like other sites ...

Good post Punch.

Thanks, guys.

I'll just add that I personally allowed for a "honeymoon" period for each of the Donahoe and Levy/Brandon eras, but this is easily the first time I've heard a calm and steady voice coming out of One Bills Drive since the Polian/Butler days regarding the semblance of an actual plan for the future. Hopefully, for once, the blips on the radar are the treasure we're all seeking and not incoming torpedoes!

PTR

I understand you think of yourself as a voice of reason on this board. And generally I agree with your viewpoint. But, there is a difference between being the voice of reason and letting your contrarian viewpoint get the better of you.

I forget the specifics of what you said and I don't feel like going back through the thread to find the quote, but I believe it was something along the lines of ridiculing fans and the media for being frustrated, specifically at Nix.

I have to say, if you don't think this organization deserves utter disdain from both its fans and the media, you have your head way up your ass. At least on paper (perhaps not in practice) all football related decisions begin and end with Buddy Nix. Since the time of his last official chat with the media or press conference, the Bills have released their starting QB, traded their starting RB and started the season 0-4. The fans deserve to know what is going on if they intend to pay for tickets or merchandise. This bullsh*t has gone on for a decade. If you don't think this is the time to be frustrated with the management...no matter how long they've had to get things in order, then I don't know if there will ever be a time to get frustrated in your opinion.

My head may be up my ass for many reasons but not this. Let me lay the old timer trip on you. I didn't check how long you have been on this board or even a Bills fan but my hunch is that it's not as long as me. I'm guessing that you are fairly young (compared to me anyway) and you have yet to run through the 5 stages of Bills grief.

Yes the Bills deserve disdain for being a joke of a franchise, but rather than whip myself like some Shia Muslim over it I just accept it. Why? Because I'm not changing the fortunes of this team with endless repetitive rants. Meanwhile, as bad as the Bills are, the experience of going to games and being a proud fan is better than not having a team at all. In fact when people see my "DA'BILLS" license plates they know I'm not some front runnin' fair weather jerk off fan because my team BLOWS and yet I can still call myself a fan.

I'll let you in a little secret...until the Bills win it all, nothing will make the fan base happy. N-O-T-H-I-N-G!! I have lived through 2-14, 7-9, 9-7, 11-5 and so on, and the fans B word, piss and moan no matter what. It's all the same schitt too. Ralph's cheap, coach is clueless, GM can't find his ass with both hands, and so on.

So here is the choice...you either learn to deal with the disappointment or find another team. Simple. Because you know we aren't going to the promised land anytime soon, and no amount of bitching, from you or Sully, will change that fact.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article212824.ece

I am starting to think he resigns after this season. I bet this is WAY worse off than he immagined.

The only reason this bozo has a job in Buffalo is because he in constantly feeding into the negatives and the fans like to read someone going against their optimism. Hes better suited for a tabloid than a sportswriter. Jerry fu*cking Sullivan. LMAO.

My head may be up my ass for many reasons but not this. Let me lay the old timer trip on you. I didn't check how long you have been on this board or even a Bills fan but my hunch is that it's not as long as me. I'm guessing that you are fairly young (compared to me anyway) and you have yet to run through the 5 stages of Bills grief.

Yes the Bills deserve disdain for being a joke of a franchise, but rather than whip myself like some Shia Muslim over it I just accept it. Why? Because I'm not changing the fortunes of this team with endless repetitive rants. Meanwhile, as bad as the Bills are, the experience of going to games and being a proud fan is better than not having a team at all. In fact when people see my "DA'BILLS" license plates they know I'm not some front runnin' fair weather jerk off fan because my team BLOWS and yet I can still call myself a fan.

I'll let you in a little secret...until the Bills win it all, nothing will make the fan base happy. N-O-T-H-I-N-G!! I have lived through 2-14, 7-9, 9-7, 11-5 and so on, and the fans B word, piss and moan no matter what. It's all the same schitt too. Ralph's cheap, coach is clueless, GM can't find his ass with both hands, and so on.

So here is the choice...you either learn to deal with the disappointment or find another team. Simple. Because you know we aren't going to the promised land anytime soon, and no amount of bitching, from you or Sully, will change that fact.

PTR

Best Post Ever! :w00t:

Can this be mandatory reading for anyone posting on this board, like when you have to agree to all those terms when you install software?

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Just my $0.02.

I tend to go with this line of thinking as well Punch. Except i suppose i'm giving the FO a slightly more benefit of the doubt than you are.

Edited by Pilsner

I tend to go with this line of thinking as well Punch. Except i suppose i'm giving the FO a slightly more benefit of the doubt than you are.

Oh, no, I'm giving Nix and company the complete benefit of the doubt. What I meant by "undeserved" was the organization as a whole, due to the mess of the past 10 years. As I said earlier, I think they've finally rerouted the direction of the team from the road to ruin toward a stable and successful future. Time will tell, though, of course.

We can argue about the merits of Nix's moves but this accountabilitty thing is nuts.

How many NFL Gm's have to explain themselves to fans? Did BB have to explain his Moss trade?

I bet if one cruised by Pat's BBs, one would find plentiful calls for BB to explain

(I haven't, just guessing)

There is a significant difference in that NE has a strong recent track record of success.

So there's a certain level of "well, it seems whacky, but what you've done worked before so keep it up" trust

PTR

Sir, I have to say this post should be pinned and stored somewhere as an example of a reasoned response to potentially inflammatory language. Well done

And good points

Hopeful, new to TwoBillsDrive, Bills fan since 1966