Trade a safety to Indy or Green Bay

billsfan89

I think that with the recent injuries to Bob Sanders and his backup both going down with serious injuries and us going nowhere and having a lot of safeties I think we are in position to make a trade with Indy. I think we could fetch a 4th or 3rd from Indy for Donte. They are hurting for some help at the position and we really need to think about getting more picks. Also Green Bay is looking for safety help and they could be in the market for a guy like Donte as well.

Win now teams do stupid things (See Roy Williams trade) just to try to fill holes right away. All in all I see a possibility here Indy and Green Bay are both looking for anything at the FS position (Looking into claiming Michael Lewis off of waivers) but if we offer up Donte for a 3rd or even a 4th one could bite. So Has anyone heard about a trade with Indy or Green Bay?

Edited by billsfan89

Apparently the Colts have inquired about both Marcus Stroud and Kyle Williams. Perhaps a combination of Stroud and Whitner would fetch a 3rd and something like a 6th or 7th, but that's about it I'd gather.

Apparently the Colts have inquired about both Marcus Stroud and Kyle Williams. Perhaps a combination of Stroud and Whitner would fetch a 3rd and something like a 6th or 7th, but that's about it I'd gather.

I would easily give up Whitner and Stroud for a 3rd and 6th. Not hating on Donte (He has done a decent job he was just drafted way too high) and Stroud after having a really good 1st year is done. Kyle Williams is one of the few Bills I wouldn't give up unless it was for a 1st or something ridiculous.

I would easily give up Whitner and Stroud for a 3rd and 6th. Not hating on Donte (He has done a decent job he was just drafted way too high) and Stroud after having a really good 1st year is done. Kyle Williams is one of the few Bills I wouldn't give up unless it was for a 1st or something ridiculous.

I wouldn't hate it, but a lot of people would. After all, Stroud was acquired for a 3rd and a 5th. But that's how trades are in the NFL, and the mileage accrued for each player factors in, heavily.

FWIW, I think Donte is serviceable enough for the time being and may even improve with a better front seven. But he's looked pretty bad at times (including this past Sunday) in run support which is supposed to be a strength, and has never been a playmaker of any kind.

If the Bills had a bunch of 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths those can be used to move up in other rounds. That's their true value.

I wouldn't hate it, but a lot of people would. After all, Stroud was acquired for a 3rd and a 5th. But that's how trades are in the NFL, and the mileage accrued for each player factors in, heavily.

FWIW, I think Donte is serviceable enough for the time being and may even improve with a better front seven. But he's looked pretty bad at times (including this past Sunday) in run support which is supposed to be a strength, and has never been a playmaker of any kind.

If the Bills had a bunch of 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths those can be used to move up in other rounds. That's their true value.

If we were to make that trade plus get a mid late 2nd for Evans we would be looking at a ton of picks for next years draft. We could be looking at 4 picks in the top 75 (Our 1st, our 2nd, a 2nd possibly gotten for Evans, and our 3rd)and 6 in the top 100 (The extra 3rd gotten from Indy plus our 4th) plus an extra 4th and 6th round pick (The Lynch pick which could be close to the top 100 and another later pick from Indy).

That's a ton of draft picks and any team looking to rebuild needs a ton of picks both to trade up (Having 2 3rds and 2 4ths plus an extra 6th is a lot of trade up ammo)and to stock up on young talent.

Keep Whitner for anything but a 2nd. Listen folks, you have to build off something. If the Bills have any strength, it's thei DBs. You trade Whitner, you need to replace him. That will be a pretty high pick. Keep your DBs unless someone blows your doors off. I don't want to see another db drafted in the next 3 years.

You want to blame Whitner for not stopping HOF Tomlinson 8 yards downfield after LT ran untouched (again) through our front 7. You're being very hard on Whitner. It's almost comical.

If we were to make that trade plus get a mid late 2nd for Evans we would be looking at a ton of picks for next years draft. We could be looking at 4 picks in the top 75 (Our 1st, our 2nd, a 2nd possibly gotten for Evans, and our 3rd)and 6 in the top 100 (The extra 3rd gotten from Indy plus our 4th) plus an extra 4th and 6th round pick (The Lynch pick which could be close to the top 100 and another later pick from Indy).

That's a ton of draft picks and any team looking to rebuild needs a ton of picks both to trade up (Having 2 3rds and 2 4ths plus an extra 6th is a lot of trade up ammo)and to stock up on young talent.

Absolutely. And I, unlike a lot of others at TSW, don't hate our 2010 draft class. Unfortunately, the defensive players were brought in with an expectation to transition to different responsibilities altogether, which is secondary to the already difficult transition from college to the NFL. Also unfortunate, is the injury time lost for Ed Wang and the IR tags placed on Easley and Batten. Other than Spiller the picks I was most excited to see in action were Easley and Danny Batten. Marcus Easley is an athletic wonder at the wide receiver position; if he had another year of starting college experience he would've likely gone in the 2nd round.

I've said it before: a highly regarded "up and comer" like Doug Whaley would not have left the most stable and successful organization in pro sports for a train wreck in Buffalo... Nix knows what he's doing, and I agree with you 100%, the more picks the better. For the first time in a long time the people making the calls know what they're doing. Unfortunately, it's going to look worse before it actually gets any better.

Edited by Punch

Nobody will give a third for Whitner or a second for Evans. Get a grip. Try a 6th for Whitner and a 4th for Evans.

Agreed..After all the Super Bowl MVP was traded for a 4th round pick by the Steelers...People here need to get real.

Agreed..After all the Super Bowl MVP was traded for a 4th round pick by the Steelers...People here need to get real.

He was in a contract year and he had a 4 game suspension so you have to add in character issues as well. Not a good comparison. Roy Williams fetched a 1st 3rd and a 6th so there are both sides to that argument.

Its all about how the stars line up. I think a team like Atlanta, San Diego, San Francisco (If they have a good year), Chicago (If they have a good year), Washington (If they have a good year), or anyo ther team short on WR's but has a good team that made the playoffs but got bounced early or just missed the playoffs could easily give up a 2nd for Evans.

If you are a team that needs a quality #2 WR and needs to try and win now why on Earth would you not consider giving up a mid/late 2nd rounder for Evans? Evans is a guy who is highly regarded as a #2 WR in the league and its hard to draft a WR in the 2nd or even 1st round that is able to come in right away and make an impact.

Its a win now league and Evans could help a team win now and a mid to late 2nd isn't that high a price to pay to get a quality receiver. Evans is locked up contract wise, is in his prime, and has no character issues I say a team that needs intimidate help at the WR position gives up a 2nd for him.

Nobody will give a third for Whitner or a second for Evans. Get a grip. Try a 6th for Whitner and a 4th for Evans.

Whitner is a tough sell but I think that a team like Indy is desperate to get some help at safety they could give up a 4th for Whitner. Keep in mind both their starter Bob Sanders and his backup got hurt they are also looking for some help at the DT position. I say try to package Stroud and Whitner for a 4th and a 6th or maybe just a 3rd. Getting a 3rd for a package of Whitner and Stroud is a reach but its not impossible (See Roy Williams trade).

No way we can't get a 2nd for Evans. WR's are a commodity in this league. Evans doesn't have character issues, is still in his prime, and is locked up contract wise all 3 make him quite trade-able. Evans also is highly regarded in the league a team that just missed the playoffs or got bounced early could easily give up a mid to late 2nd to get a quality #2 WR like Evans.

And what happens when we typically whiff on most of those picks? A string of 0-16 seasons? :thumbdown:

Keep Whitner for anything but a 2nd. Listen folks, you have to build off something. If the Bills have any strength, it's thei DBs. You trade Whitner, you need to replace him. That will be a pretty high pick. Keep your DBs unless someone blows your doors off. I don't want to see another db drafted in the next 3 years.

You want to blame Whitner for not stopping HOF Tomlinson 8 yards downfield after LT ran untouched (again) through our front 7. You're being very hard on Whitner. It's almost comical.

I agree with you on keeping Whitner, people make him sound worse then he really is and want to run him out of town just because he was taken at #8 and isn't a Pro bowler and not the guy "they" wanted. Its just like how everyone ran Lynch out of town, they convinced themselves that he sucks because they are afraid he would get in trouble again and be suspended for a year. He's a 2 time Pro bowler and is a very good RB.

I disagree however with the bolded part, the DB's now, weither its the new system or the players in front of them, but the DB's have not looked good at all this year and would not call them a "strength". 4 games, no INT's yet, plenty of times getting burnt by other teams WR's.........

Trading Stroud would be fine with me. I like him but he'll be dead by the time we contend for a wild-card.

Trading Stroud makes a lot of sense. Might as well play McCargo some more and get Carrington some time too. If the Bills can get anything for Whitner, they should do it George Wilson was one of our best players last year and needs to get back on the field. Byrd seemed to play well along-side Wilson as well. Most disappointing thing so far for me is that the current regime didn't learn from last year that Edwards, Lynch, and Whitner were out-played by Fitz, Fred, and Wilson.