Okay so do we need to trade Lee Evans now?

If we really are in rebuild mode then we should try to convert every player with value into draft picks. I also feel that Evans deserves to end his career with a winner so it would be the humanitarian thing to do.

Thoughts?

PTR

I think the Bills need to hold on to evans.. they could REALLY shoot themselves in the foot by drafting a great QB only to see him fail because he gets no protection, and even worse, noone to throw to.

I agree with both. We're clearly trying to swap talent now for picks, and he has more trade value of any of our players. If we're planning for the future at this juncture, we should consider moving him. At the same time, it'll be rough enough for our new QB to succeed, so taking a weapon away isn't the best idea.

At the end of the day though, I feel like they'll make the wrong choice, whatever it is.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we really are in rebuild mode then we should try to convert every player with value into draft picks. I also feel that Evans deserves to end his career with a winner so it would be the humanitarian thing to do.

Thoughts?

PTR

Yes! Let the blood-letting continue! Remove the cancer of losing completely!!

My philosophy on this is similar to what it was on the Peters situation last off-season. That is, both are somewhat overrated but still good players. Regardless, what has the team won with them at the helm and in particular how good has the offense been? Maybe if that $9M per year were spent on fortifying the OL and DL, then trading Lee would be a smart thing to do. The flip side of the coin is that he DOES command attention from the opponent. Just how terrible will the offense look without him?

My philosophy on this is similar to what it was on the Peters situation last off-season. That is, both are somewhat overrated but still good players. Regardless, what has the team won with them at the helm and in particular how good has the offense been? Maybe if that $9M per year were spent on fortifying the OL and DL, then trading Lee would be a smart thing to do. The flip side of the coin is that he DOES command attention from the opponent. Just how terrible will the offense look without him?

This, except for the last sentence. The O sucked with him, it will suck just as badly without him.

Just to be clear I don't think Evans has quit, but at this point we might as well get as many picks as we can. But this is not like Lynch where we had to dump him. Wait for a solid offer for Evans. At least a 2nd.

PTR

Do you really believe that Evans has a higher trade value then Anquan Boldin?? I don't disagree with the idea of trading Evans, but there is no way we will get a 2nd round pick for him.

Boldin is one year older then Lee, has been much more productive, is better at running routes across the middle of the field, is a much better blocker.....and not to mention...Boldin makes $2 million less per season.

Do you really believe that Evans has a higher trade value then Anquan Boldin?? I don't disagree with the idea of trading Evans, but there is no way we will get a 2nd round pick for him.

Boldin is one year older then Lee, has been much more productive, is better at running routes across the middle of the field, is a much better blocker.....and not to mention...Boldin makes $2 million less per season.

The only way to get a 2nd for Lee Evans would be to call Al Davis. Aside from Lee's genial attitude, he's the perfect fit for the Raiders: a speedy veteran washout. They gave up a 1st for Richard Seymour, maybe they'll take Evans.

The simple answer is: yes.

That being said my reasoning is the same as trading Lynch, and cutting Trent. Evans is a very good receiver, but we won't see the reality of his talent on the field because he is only one piece of the puzzle and you can't complete a puzzle with only a third of the box of pieces able to fit. Simply put, Evans is a good receiver and probably could be great on a different team, but right now, it's time to realize that we are demolishing to the foundation, the team that existed before. Let Evans go to a contender and get a second or third round pick for him and continue to look two years into the future. Plus, with Nelson playing well and Easely potentially another good receiver waiting in the wings, I don't know how vital Evans is anymore to this team. He's played hard, and spoken true when asked questions, I respect him and wish him well, but it's time for Evans to exit and this team to find his younger replacement so they can rebuild. Keep in mind, Nix and Gailey stated they like taller receivers, i.e. Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd and Legadu Nannee, but obviously won't accept mediocre talent such as Hardy. In other words, it would be best for Evans to go to a good team, where maybe he can win a Super Bowl and for the Bills to continue their rebuilding process with receivers that Gailey and Nix believe are better compliments to their offense.

Who will our QB throw to next year?

Does it matter?

The only way to get a 2nd for Lee Evans would be to call Al Davis. Aside from Lee's genial attitude, he's the perfect fit for the Raiders: a speedy veteran washout. They gave up a 1st for Richard Seymour, maybe they'll take Evans.

If anyone is stupid enough to offer a 2nd for Evans they sure as hell better take it. But I can't imagine anyone is that stupid.

If anyone is stupid enough to offer a 2nd for Evans they sure as hell better take it. But I can't imagine anyone is that stupid.

I don't know, Al Davis has made some pretty puzzling moves of late...

But seriously, even the Raiders wouldn't give up a 2nd (probably not even a 3rd). And although I'm more interested in improving the Bills, I don't think it's fair to send a good egg like Lee from Siberia East to Siberia West.

If he'd restructure his deal, they could pedal him. But to do that, someone would have to wake up Buddy. B-)

The Bills are not getting any value now with Evan's salary...it's just money down the drain.

The best option to stop the bleeding might be a trade to the Vikings or similar team, but if Evans does not restructure, forget about it.

Yeah, maybe they can stockpile another 4th rounder! Whoopeee!

What a dysfunctional backwards organization!!!

Picks can be bundled to move up and to sweeten a deal for a trade for a quality starter. Don't scoff at picks. It's served NE well. Why not move Evans. He has value and no character issues like Lynch. He'd fetch a 3rd and a conditional pick or a straight up deal for a starting LB or DE.

A few weeks ago, I brought up the notion of trading Evans, if there is a lockout and there is no NFL football next season, he will be another year older on the wrong side of 30. It would be nice to let the guy enjoy some success in a pro-NFL offense in his career and by the time it happens here, he will be old enough to retire. The point where this team is at, is we need to get the most picks for our oldest players with value as we can and rebuild...

We do need to bottom out to be able to in a poosition to get the players we need and not just draft best available or reach for players in a position of need. The cupboard was bare for a long time and drafting in positions of being 7-9 every year and reaching for need and missing has killed us. We need to suck, we need to be able to draft Bruces, Kellys, Wolfords, Talleys, and Reed's.

A few posters brought up a good point about our new QB (hopefully) needing weapons to through to, that is a good point. Nelson looks good so far, Roscoe is alright and hopefully Easly can help us out. What happens if Brohm plays and does well? Do we let it ride with him? and should we then maybe keep Evans?

Who will our QB throw to next year?

The WR we draft with the pick we traded Evans for.

Screw it why dont we trade David Nelson with it. Just leave Roscoe as are number one and really give our rookie QB next year a shot at succeding.

Oh and P.S the same people who say trade Evans because he is 30 and will be to old when we are actually good are the same ones who support Fred Jackson, who is also 30.... (Whipers) Thats the same age as Evans. . .

How is that different?