Five Myths That Continue To Pervade TSW

I liked the post - and certainly there are things to agree or disagree with, when opinions are out there, but we can't be sure about anything when it comes to what might have beens. If things had happened differently in the past then some of what was posted might be proven. It's funny how arguments start up, and then people are calling other people out on how skiewed their judgment is.

I think we can all agree on this: something is wrong with the Bills organization. That something is above the role of G.M. and Head Coach. Whether it is Ralph Wilson, Overdorf, someone else, or a collection of things - it is obvious that something is there behind the scenes that has hindered the development of this team since the 90's. My personal opinion is that it is Ralph Wilson, that he meddles, and that he makes it impossible for the people he hires to do the job. That explains why no one he brings in works out, why they all end up looking so frustrated they want to pull their hair out and they can't talk straight, why guys like Jim Kelly, Cowher, and Shanahan all simply remain quiet about whatever the reason is that no one of real quality will come here and fix this thing - because the owner is in the way. That, to me, makes sense. And, it's a shame that he will let an organization, so rare, go to such a ruin. The Bills are truly a laughingstock. I can't stand watching them anymore. It is embarrassing.

But, to blame guys like Nix and Gailey - I just don't think so anymore. I think guys like Nix and Gailey and Jauron and maybe even Mularky all have something in common - they aren't big enough to argue or to stand up to someone - they are all smart and competent men who think they can overcome whatever hurdle these more accomplished men won't try working around. That hurdle?

I think our collective anger and frustration should be directed at Ralph Wilson. He should give up the team if he isn't committed to making it a winner. How can he do that? By for once truly letting a football man run the show, and bring in the players he needs.

It might sound simple - but I think most of us can agree on that.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Myth 1: Buddy Nix Knows How To Build A Football Team.

Buddy Nix is a professional scout. His entire career has consisted of, to paraphrase Bill Parcells, picking the groceries. He has never, as far as we know, designed the menu or the recipes. There is a difference. It is one thing to be able to identify talented players; it is quite another thing to construct a franchise. For the latter, you need to understand so many more things, including coaching (and coach selection), scheme, the competitive landscape, the salary cap, and player development. Why folks just assume Nix can do all of those things has always eluded me - he has never done it before. Just because some scouts have done it successfully (Polian, Butler) doesn't mean all of them can. And so far in Nix's GM tenure, it appears that he cannot team-build. His coaching selections, the ill-advised switch to a 3-4, and the failure to acquire a capable starting offensive line are all evidence that he fails in this department.

Myth 2: The Chargers Are A Model NFL Franchise.

This one is more controversial, but IMO it's a myth. The Chargers have been somewhat lucky, in part due to their weak division and in part because they have hit on some quality draft picks (that, you CAN thank Nix for). However, in terms of team-building, they have been somewhat dysfunctional. While they've achieved success relative to the Bills, if you look at the path that has gotten them here there have been numerous curious decisions. To name some examples: firing Schotty after his success; drafting 3 elite running backs in a short timespan (LT, Turner, Matthews) - and then paying Sproles $8 million; playing chicken with their best players and clubhouse leaders; jettisoning Brees and drafting Rivers in his place, draft "misses" on WRs, etc. Again, this one is open to debate. The reason I raise it is because one of the most popular refrains we hear at TSW is that Nix is the architect of a great team. I take issue with both of those points - I think Nix was not the architect, and that San Diego has succeeded despite serious dysfunction.

Myth 3: Nix and Gailey Are On The Same Page.

This is another popular one. But it got tosses out of the window down 53 flights yesterday, when the announcers during the game relayed Gailey's comment to them before the game to the effect that, "Our offensive line just isn't big or physical enough for us to do what we want to do on offense." Oh realllllly? And what was done this offseason to fix that critical problem? You'd think that if Nix and Gailey were truly together on everything, at a minimum Gailey would've pushed for (and gotten) more help with the key foundation of the offense he was hired to implement. Similarly, do you think that if Nix understood how little Spiller was going to be used in this offense, he would've burned a high draft pick on him? I tend to doubt it.

Myth 4: The Bills' Problem Is Poor Drafting.

Sorry, this is a myth. The Bills have had decent success in the draft over the past decade. The problem, unfortunately, has been horrible player development and horrible coaching. There are players on this team who would be very solid, productive role players - if not stars - for other teams in this league, had they been drafted into quality organizations with experienced, coherent coaching and schemes, as well as strength and conditioning. As much as folks here beat up on Lynch, Whitner, Poz, and even Kelsay, these are players who can play in this League. Their careers have been ruined by this cesspool of an organization.

Myth 5: The Bills Are Rebuilding.

This is the saddest myth of all of them. Folks, there is just no evidence that the Bills are "building" anything here. If you want to see an organization that is successfully rebuilding, take a look at Pioli's Chiefs. Specifically, look how many of his 2010 draft picks are playing key roles. By contrast, none of our 2010 draft picks are even playing, let alone playing a roll. This team continues to get beat at the point of attack, wear down late in games, and make mental mistakes. The key foundation of any NFL team - the offensive and defensive lines - continues to be a trainwreck. There is no NFL-caliber QB on the roster. This team is not rebuilding - it is re-doing. Sorry to say it, but it's just the truth.

Points 3 & 4 contain a modicum of truth; points 1,2, & 5 are simply sheer, utter ignorance and not worthy of a rebuttal.

Excellent thread, I don't completly agree but we are on the same page.

Nix will make the right picks, I am sure of that. :thumbsup:

gotta love that Maybin pick made while he was employed as head scout

he does know talent

look how many of this year's picks are contributing

Regarding the drafting, why is everyone so certain that all the big names we "could have had" wouldn't suck if put into a dysfunctional organization and/or not developed properly? How many Pro Bowlers each year are rookies? Not many. How do Pro Bowlers get to be Pro Bowlers? By being developed, put into schemes that maximize their talents, and shown the way by LEADERS. It's easy to see the players perform (or not) week in and week out, and pass judgment on their ability. It's not so easy to see the coaches and front office perform their jobs day in and day out. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in a coaches meetings, wouldn't it?

I'm as disappointed with the team's performance as the next guy. But I also came into the season with very low expectations given all the changes involved with this rebuilding.

Sorry, this is a myth. The Bills have had decent success in the draft over the past decade. The problem, unfortunately, has been horrible player development and horrible coaching. There are players on this team who would be very solid, productive role players - if not stars - for other teams in this league, had they been drafted into quality organizations with experienced, coherent coaching and schemes, as well as strength and conditioning. As much as folks here beat up on Lynch, Whitner, Poz, and even Kelsay, these are players who can play in this League. Their careers have been ruined by this cesspool of an organization.

I can clearly see your points and agree with a lot you have said. The drafting point I have to disagree with in most cases. Sure, some of the players you mention can definitely play for any team in the league, but they are merely average as to where they were drafted.

IMO, the Bills biggest problem is reaching for need with instead of fortifying the teams front lines. Example: spending three #1 picks on a RB in less than ten years. Spending a #1 pick on Bledsoe and then having to trade another #1 to move up to select Losman not even two years later. And I'm sorry, drafting a safety in the top ten is a wasted pick nine times out of ten. The Raiders drafted Michael Huff right before the Bills drafted Whitner and he sucks too.

Regardless on how good the player is that the Bills draft, the key is that the player is good enough to retain, so that the same position doesn't have to be drafted over and over again.

maybe..but who would you rather have as the architects of a rebuild? their fo or ours?

I think I will wait til after week 4 to say the Chiefs are a "model franchise" for rebuilding.

Its funny how everyone is now looking at teams like the Chiefs, Lions, Rams, Bucs, Raiders, etc as teams that are doing a good job of rebuilding. How many years this last decade have those teams had the chance to draft in the top 5? top 10? Even the 49ers had to spend many seasons picking top 10 only to get back to being 0-4 this year when they were being looked at as a playoff team this offseason.

Everyone hoping the Bills tank the season to get the #1 pick so they can get some saviour college QB, how well has that worked out for teams this decade? There seems to be more "busts" taken #1 overall then team saviours. How many Alex Smith's, Jamarcus Russell's, David Carr's, etc are there compared to Peyton Mannings? Bradford is too early to tell, A couple more hits and Stafford may have to retire early with no shoulder.....

It doesn't matter where they draft, it matters more on who they draft. There are great players at every spot in the draft, they just have to get the right ones and find guys that will help the team wherever they draft.

I have to agree with a lot of the above posters. We have had very poor drafting (scheme considerations or not) for the last decade. This has transcended several coaches and front office arrangements. The results, unfortunately, are predictably bad.

That aside, I give you kudos. You started a thought provoking threat and kept the conversation civil while several tried to bait you. Good for you....even if I also disagree.

gotta love that Maybin pick made while he was employed as head scout

he does know talent

look how many of this year's picks are contributing

Nix didn't make the Maybin pick. DJ did.

You should tread lightly there. For a guy who says the Bills have no talent, yet claims Nix has an eye for talent, credibility is at risk.

Nix has a draft and a half under his belt with the Bills. He inherited a team with 10 years of draft disasters. I'm feeling fine about my cred and stand by my post.

Buddy Nix is a professional scout. His entire career has consisted of, to paraphrase Bill Parcells, picking the groceries. He has never, as far as we know, designed the menu or the recipes. There is a difference. It is one thing to be able to identify talented players; it is quite another thing to construct a franchise. For the latter, you need to understand so many more things, including coaching (and coach selection), scheme, the competitive landscape, the salary cap, and player development. Why folks just assume Nix can do all of those things has always eluded me - he has never done it before. Just because some scouts have done it successfully (Polian, Butler) doesn't mean all of them can. And so far in Nix's GM tenure, it appears that he cannot team-build. His coaching selections, the ill-advised switch to a 3-4, and the failure to acquire a capable starting offensive line are all evidence that he fails in this department.

Perhaps Nix has an eye for college talent, but the fact that he brought in Cornell Green at RT and paid Chris Kelsay so much money to play a position he can't play tells me he is clueless at the NFL level. Its no wonder he went to sleep when free agency started, perhaps he thought his dreams would tell him who to sign, it turned out to be a nightmare for the Buffalo Bills so far.

This one is more controversial, but IMO it's a myth. The Chargers have been somewhat lucky, in part due to their weak division and in part because they have hit on some quality draft picks (that, you CAN thank Nix for). However, in terms of team-building, they have been somewhat dysfunctional. While they've achieved success relative to the Bills, if you look at the path that has gotten them here there have been numerous curious decisions. To name some examples: firing Schotty after his success; drafting 3 elite running backs in a short timespan (LT, Turner, Matthews) - and then paying Sproles $8 million; playing chicken with their best players and clubhouse leaders; jettisoning Brees and drafting Rivers in his place, draft "misses" on WRs, etc. Again, this one is open to debate. The reason I raise it is because one of the most popular refrains we hear at TSW is that Nix is the architect of a great team. I take issue with both of those points - I think Nix was not the architect, and that San Diego has succeeded despite serious dysfunction.

Nix might have had a strong hand in chargers drafting while he was there, I don't think anyone but AJ Smith and Nix know for certain. All I can say is that AJ Smith has made some dubious and questionable decisions for that team. Another guy with Bill Polian's eye but without his knowledge in how to properly run a franchise. Drew Brees-LT-Marty S taking the team 14-2 and he fires him because he wants to hire his son as OC, look at the current NY Jets as he is the OC there. AJ Smith is a bonehead as a GM IMO

This is another popular one. But it got tosses out of the window down 53 flights yesterday, when the announcers during the game relayed Gailey's comment to them before the game to the effect that, "Our offensive line just isn't big or physical enough for us to do what we want to do on offense." Oh realllllly? And what was done this offseason to fix that critical problem? You'd think that if Nix and Gailey were truly together on everything, at a minimum Gailey would've pushed for (and gotten) more help with the key foundation of the offense he was hired to implement. Similarly, do you think that if Nix understood how little Spiller was going to be used in this offense, he would've burned a high draft pick on him? I tend to doubt it.

Gailey might be trying to throw Nix under the Bus here for his choice of Cornell Green as RT, he certainly threw Trent Edwards under the bus, benched and cut him when clearly the team has many more problems on offense then just the QB position. The head coach should have enough brains to know the difference between good and bad O linemen and neither Nix OR Gailey can evaluate O linemen properly from what I see, how does that line actually get worse then last season? Spiller was 100% Chan Gaileys pick, he was talking about a "waterbug" type RB months before the draft. Both GM and HC virtually ignored the O line and the result is the worst O line and offense in the NFL.

What bothers me the most is almost every fan that posts here saw the problems with the O line last season and knew they should have addressed those problems, yet the head coach/ FO didn't. It should be their undoing, anyone that F's up this bad doesn't deserve to stay employed

This I don't believe completely, It is exactly what you stated in ""has been horrible player development and horrible coaching"" plus bad drafting! John McCargo- Aaron Maybin are the two most recent that come to my mind This franchise has been a cluster !@#$ of bad choices in coaches-GM's-players drafted-free agents- some good, mostly bad.

This is the saddest myth of all of them. Folks, there is just no evidence that the Bills are "building" anything here. If you want to see an organization that is successfully rebuilding, take a look at Pioli's Chiefs. Specifically, look how many of his 2010 draft picks are playing key roles. By contrast, none of our 2010 draft picks are even playing, let alone playing a roll. This team continues to get beat at the point of attack, wear down late in games, and make mental mistakes. The key foundation of any NFL team - the offensive and defensive lines - continues to be a trainwreck. There is no NFL-caliber QB on the roster. This team is not rebuilding - it is re-doing. Sorry to say it, but it's just the truth.

While I agree with everything you state here, I would argue that most fans believe that the Bills are constantly rebuilding every time they hire a new head coach. re-doing- rebuilding = same difference. every time the team changes they tend to want to bring in the player personnel that fits the scheme they want to run. This happens with EVERY NFL team, the problem with the Buffalo Bills the last ten years is their choices for head coach have been as horrible as the drafts. This franchise continues to hire bums and inexperienced coaches and avoiding the veteran WINNING head coaches, they get what they pay for!

Good post overall, gets people thinking, and don't listen to the nay Sayers! I'm sorta convinced that the Bills FO has their people posting on this board trying to discredit posters like you that have a very logical and rational reasons for the problems with this team

Should the Bills retain both Gailey and Nix after this season I would hope that Tom Modrak the head of scouting gets fired as a result of his Cornell Green evaluation, but then he is friends with Ralph Wilson so that won't happen. All three should be fired ASAP in my opinion, Trent Edwards lost his job because of his ineptitude. I don't see why Chan Gailey- Buddy Nix- Tom Modrak should be any different

Edited by Harvey lives

No real argument here. You're right Polian/Butler doesn't mean Nix will do it but I like his chances better than a marketing guy.

I happen to agree insomuch as the Chargers IMO have the most overrated personnel in the league post Merriman injury. Really they just aren't as loaded with talent as espn would have you believe.

Still I thought they were pretty damn unlucky to lose the '06 Patriots playoff game. How you can rip the LT/Turner draft picks is beyond me, particularly when they got Brees in the same draft as LT. I don't see what AJ Smith being a spazz and willingly downgrading from Schotty to Norv has to do with anything. If you work for a boss who is generally good at what he does and has some flaws that doesn't mean you have to copy his flaws when you're in charge.

This just doesn't make much sense. It's not like Nix inherited the guy.

You lost me here. The players who have been good elsewhere (Greer, Winfield, Williams) were good here. The ones who weren't are doing nothing. See Reed, Josh who people inexplicably thought we could get a decent draft pick for a couple years ago. Parrish would be a real nice player on a team with a good QB, but Whitner/Poz/Kelsay are flat out backups.

Well I don't know how this meshes with #4. We're building nothing because our draft picks have sucked.

You're missing my point. With the possible exception of Maybin, the players you list all can play. The scouts weren't the ones telling the GMs to take small guys. They were the ones telling the GMs, "Well, if you want a small fast guy for your crappy scheme, here is where you should go."

Hardy can play? Really?

Whitner can play at a level which justifies drafting him at #9? McKelvin? Losman (though I'd agree so far as to say that with good coaching he might have become something), McCargo? Ideally, the guys you draft shouldn't just be able to play, not as high as we've been drafting. They ought to be able to play as well as the average guy drafted at their spot over the past twenty years or so. And our high-round guys can't, with the possible exception of Spiller after we get an offensive line. Our drafting in the first two rounds or so has been awful the past ten years or so.

I think I will wait til after week 4 to say the Chiefs are a "model franchise" for rebuilding.

Yeah, it's still early days for the Chiefs. But the people who think the Chiefs are headed in the right direction are probably on to something. Comparing them to the Bills, though, doesn't make sense. How good did the Chiefs look last year, in the first year of their rebuilding program? Awful. This is their second year. Of course they should be looking a bit better than we do.

Should the Bills retain both Gailey and Nix after this season I would hope that Tom Modrak the head of scouting gets fired as a result of his Cornell Green evaluation, but then he is friends with Ralph Wilson so that won't happen. All three should be fired ASAP in my opinion, Trent Edwards lost his job because of his ineptitude. I don't see why Chan Gailey- Buddy Nix- Tom Modrak should be any different

Modrak is head of COLLEGE scouting, not pro player scouting. He most likely had nothing whatsoever to do with picking up Green. That was most likely Whaley and Nix.

Edited by Thurman#1

I think our collective anger and frustration should be directed at Ralph Wilson. He should give up the team if he isn't committed to making it a winner. How can he do that? By for once truly letting a football man run the show, and bring in the players he needs.

It might sound simple - but I think most of us can agree on that.

He did that already, he hired Tom Donahoe, a football guy in the Pittsbugrgh organisation

I don't think it worked out well for him and the fans ran him out of town in no time

Good post overall, gets people thinking, and don't listen to the nay Sayers! I'm sorta convinced that the Bills FO has their people posting on this board trying to discredit posters like you that have a very logical and rational reasons for the problems with this team

Should the Bills retain both Gailey and Nix after this season I would hope that Tom Modrak the head of scouting gets fired as a result of his Cornell Green evaluation, but then he is friends with Ralph Wilson so that won't happen. All three should be fired ASAP in my opinion, Trent Edwards lost his job because of 3 seasons of his ineptitude. I don't see why Chan Gailey- Buddy Nix- Tom Modrak should be any different

Gailey and Nix have been given 4 games, yeah, lets blow it up again 1/4 of the way through year 1 of their rebuild

Hardy can play? Really?

Whitner can play at a level which justifies drafting him at #9? McKelvin? Losman (though I'd agree so far as to say that with good coaching he might have become something), McCargo? Ideally, the guys you draft shouldn't just be able to play, not as high as we've been drafting. They ought to be able to play as well as the average guy drafted at their spot over the past twenty years or so. And our high-round guys can't, with the possible exception of Spiller after we get an offensive line. Our drafting in the first two rounds or so has been awful the past ten years or so.

Yeah, it's still early days for the Chiefs. But the people who think the Chiefs are headed in the right direction are probably on to something. Comparing them to the Bills, though, doesn't make sense. How good did the Chiefs look last year, in the first year of their rebuilding program? Awful. This is their second year. Of course they should be looking a bit better than we do.

The Chiefs sucked so bad last year on offense because like the Bills they fired their OC just before the season started, and the season before Chan Gailey was the OC and the team went 2-14. The Chiefs are looking better because Charlie Weiss is the OC and Romeo Crennel is the DC, both ex head coaches that used to be coordinators for the Patriots.

Modrak is head of COLLEGE scouting, not pro player scouting. He most likely had nothing whatsoever to do with picking up Green. That was most likely Whaley and Nix.

If that is true and Nix only has experience also as a college scout, why then did he get the job as GM? Somebody needs to take the responsibility for the worst O line in the NFL,and for missing on LT-RT-WR-C-OLB -QB, how do these two miss on so many roster spots in the worst area of last years team?

This is the worst team in the NFLby far... I wonder how many losses it will take before the rest of the posters stop giving Nix and Gailey a free pass

This is the worst team in the NFLby far... I wonder how many losses it will take before the rest of the posters stop giving Nix and Gailey a free pass

Well a season is 16 games................

But you are right, the GM and coach should immediatly turn around a franchise in one offseason installing a new offence and defence

While you've made good points, I strongly disagree with #4.

In my book, a successful first round pick is a player who a) plays at a level at or above what you'd expect from his draft slot, and b) contributes a long number of years to your football team. With that said, let's see how many of the Bills' first round picks over the last decade or so have been successful.

Erik Flowers. Result: bust.

Nate Clements. Result: left the Bills after six years. He was a failure because his tenure here was too short.

Mike Williams. Result: bust.

a. Traded for Drew Bledsoe. Result: released after three years, including two and a half very mediocre seasons.

b. Willis McGahee. Result: played about three years for the Bills, and then was traded away for a couple third rounders. Not enough value there to justify the pick.

a. Lee Evans. Result: A solid #2 threat and a good deep burner.

b. JP Losman. Result: bust

none

a. Donte Whitner. Result: a decent football player just barely able to keep George Wilson on the bench.

b. John McCargo. Result: bust.

Marshawn Lynch. Result: a solid running back who has not necessarily lived up to his draft position.

Leodis McKelvin. Result: is developing into a very good CB. Only time will tell if he will go first-contract-and-out, as have so many other Bills' first round CBs.

I ended with 2008, because it's too soon to evaluate the more recent picks. As you can see from the above list, there are no clear-cut success stories. You could argue that Lee Evans would have been more successful if he'd had better quarterback play and an offensive line that could keep the QB upright. But even allowing for that, 13th overall still seems a little high for the player we've gotten. Leodis McKelvin could become a clear-cut success story if he remains on the Bills' roster, and if he learns to avoid getting faked out. As for Lynch: if all we can get for him right now is a third round pick, then he is specifically not a success story. The same goes for any other first round pick who can't be traded for more than a third.

Compare those drafts to the ones the Colts have had during that time. Peyton Manning was chosen first overall back in '98, so he was drafted a little before the data series begins. But look at the players the Colts have drafted since then.

Rob Morris, LB (28th overall). Result: had about four seasons worth of starts over an eight year career (all with the Colts). Not an outright bust, but clearly didn't live up to his draft position.

Reggie Wayne (30th overall). Result: is in his 9th season as a starter, and is still going strong. A clear-cut success story.

Dwight Freeny, DE (11th overall). Result: another clear-cut success story.

Dallas Clark, TE (24th overall). Result: is going into his eighth year as a starter, and is still going strong. A third clear-cut success story.

none

Marlin Jackson, DB (29th overall). Result: bust.

Joseph Addai, RB (30th overall). Result: a reasonably good player who seems about what you'd expect from someone picked 30th overall.

Anthony Gonzalez, WR (32nd overall). Result: is currently a backup, and may be a bust.

none

So that's three clear-cut success stories for the Colts, plus however much of a success story you consider Joseph Addai. If we give both teams the benefit of the doubt, that works out to four success stories for the Colts, and 1.5 for the Bills (Lee Evans plus half of Leodis McKelvin). The Bills should get credit for the rest of McKelvin after his contract is successfully extended, and after he becomes a regular starter who doesn't get faked out very often.

The Colts had four clear-cut success stories out of their seven first round picks during that time. The Bills had 1.5 success stories out of their 11 first round picks during that span. Not only that, but of the Colts' first rounders, only Dwight Freeny (11th overall) was chosen higher than 24th overall. The Bills had significantly more first round picks, at a significantly higher average position in the draft, and yet came away with less than half as many success stories. If that doesn't indicate a problem with their drafting, I don't know what would.

So:

1) Nix is a football dumbass;

2) Chargers weren't good, just lucky, particulary over the time Nix was there;

3) Our coach and GM don't agree on football operations;

4) The Bills draft choices the last ten years have been just fine, but the organization failed them;

5) We're not rebuilding, we just suck. No thought is being given to the future.

Really. That is just asinine. Expecially #4! You go right ahead and defend all those steller picks my friend. You lost me from the beginning but you are so out of step with reality on that one that you lose all credibility. Why don't you just say your p*ssed off like the rest of us and lose the crazy "Palidinoesque" logic.

This.