Signing Levi - Was it our best option ?

We have 2 healthy QB's and a open roster spot, we could have used the spot to grab a better lineman or maybe a pass rusher. But the Bills just went out and signed basically a below practice squad player to the roster, because it was the easiest thing to do and he had familiarity with the team. If Levi was the Poo another team would have grabbed him when the Bills made cuts 3 weeks ago. Nobody did which makes me think Levi isn't the POO!

Perhaps they Bills should put him on the Practice Squad and move someone else up. He won't dress on game days unless we have injuries to Fitz or Brian, I think signing him is a step in the wrong direction. We could have got a player that will help us this year, not someone that we have cut already and the entire NFL didn't want either!

We have 2 healthy QB's and a open roster spot, we could have used the spot to grab a better lineman or maybe a pass rusher. But the Bills just went out and signed basically a below practice squad player to the roster, because it was the easiest thing to do and he had familiarity with the team. If Levi was the Poo another team would have grabbed him when the Bills made cuts 3 weeks ago. Nobody did which makes me think Levi isn't the POO!

Perhaps they Bills should put him on the Practice Squad and move someone else up. He won't dress on game days unless we have injuries to Fitz or Brian, I think signing him is a step in the wrong direction. We could have got a player that will help us this year, not someone that we have cut already and the entire NFL didn't want either!

Nothing in the whole situation is in the right direction, except for the benching of Edwards. Ultimately it just doesn't matter.

After the actions of the coaching staff and front office over the past few weeks, I am convinced that they are not any better than the people they replaced and maybe even worse. It is so clear they have no plan, look like a bunch of fools to the rest of the NFL. The phrase that is becoming popular on television shows and internet sites, which was stolen from Manny Ramirez but is "Just the Bills being the Bills" with every dumb move they make. I thought this new regime was sent it to fix problems, but they are making it worse. Brown was here, wasn't good enough to be a practice squad quarterback, had a tryout with two or three different teams who weren't interested, now he is the #3? Makes no sense.

After the actions of the coaching staff and front office over the past few weeks, I am convinced that they are not any better than the people they replaced and maybe even worse. It is so clear they have no plan, look like a bunch of fools to the rest of the NFL. The phrase that is becoming popular on television shows and internet sites, which was stolen from Manny Ramirez but is "Just the Bills being the Bills" with every dumb move they make. I thought this new regime was sent it to fix problems, but they are making it worse. Brown was here, wasn't good enough to be a practice squad quarterback, had a tryout with two or three different teams who weren't interested, now he is the #3? Makes no sense.

Agreed. I see Buddy Nix resigning Levi to save face. After all, he knows a football player when he sees one. :flirt:

Cutting Trent was the right move. But why would we sign a player that can't help us win this year at all?

Levi will be lucky to see any mop up time this year.

I think it would be quite difficult to get on the field for mop up time if you aren't even activated and dressed.. He is holding a clip board and watching..

We're talking about a 3rd string QB here people... how in the heck is a 3rd stringer going to help us get wins? and what were the better options culpeper and garcia? please

I think the better options were just about anybody else, a Vet WR, a O-lineman, a pass rusher, Trevr Pryce was cut by Baltimore as a DE maybe him.

The point being we are taking 1 of the 53 positions and saying that we expect no, zero , nothing it terms of production from it this year.

Somebody who can contribute something to helping us win the game.

I think the better options were just about anybody else, a Vet WR, a O-lineman, a pass rusher, Trevr Pryce was cut by Baltimore as a DE maybe him.

The point being we are taking 1 of the 53 positions and saying that we expect no, zero , nothing it terms of production from it this year.

Somebody who can contribute something to helping us win the game.

I agree but Levi already knows the system better then any FA we would have brought in and I see more potential in him then I do in a available vets

Tell me what I'm missing here.

We didn't add a quarterback through free agency that was better than our original 3 QBs before cutting Edwards. I would think that if a free agent of significant talent was available and fit the mold (and willing to come to Buffalo), we would have brought him in and rearranged the depth chart accordingly.

Now cut one existing QB and add Brown. Is there any free agent QB that would break into that depth chart? Considering that we've already played 3 games and no other quarterback in the league (other than Edwards) knows the system, Brown has a significant head start on any other young prospects. That limits the chances of bringing in a marginal improvement talent-wise.

It seems like bringing back Brown was the reasonable decision.

Neither Manning was a free agent, so no luck there.

I am guessing they took a look around with Levi as the safety net and saw nothing available that was so much better it was worth waiting to break them into the new system again.

you guys are out of your minds. the OP asks "was it out best option?". I ask, our best option for what?

for the 89124835th time, we are NOT TRYING TO "WIN NOW". WE ARE IN THE FIRST YEAR OF A REBUILD WHICH IS AN EVALUATION YEAR.

Philhansonfan, you need to reset your expectations for this year. Ive used this analogy a bunch and will continue to do so: the new regime inherited a pile of crap. they are using this year to see which turds float and which turds sink. we are not trying to make the playoffs, or even go 8-8.

furthermore, Brown already spent training camp with the team and will need the least amount of work/time to catch up on the system.

Given the fact that Edwards was cut rather than just benched (whether you happen to agree with the decision or not), yes I agree with you.

Plus it puts some coin back into Ralphs pocket.

Edwards hit an escalator in his contract that would have paid him a base salary of $1.65 million (Fitzpatrick's base salary this year is about $2.36 million). I do not see Browns salary listed anywhere, but I think a fair estimate is $325,000. Take 3 games worth off of Browns and after paying Edwards for his 3 games that's a nice chunk of change in the coffers of one Mr. Ralph Wilson.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Don't know if it was the best option. But probably the only option.

I think Chan is spewing a little bit of BS when he talked about Levi's release. If he felt he wasn't ready to be one of "their three" why didn't he add him to the PS? Why put him on the active roater now if he wasn't even good enough for the PS 3 weeks ago?

Tell me what I'm missing here.

We didn't add a quarterback through free agency that was better than our original 3 QBs before cutting Edwards. I would think that if a free agent of significant talent was available and fit the mold (and willing to come to Buffalo), we would have brought him in and rearranged the depth chart accordingly.

Now cut one existing QB and add Brown. Is there any free agent QB that would break into that depth chart? Considering that we've already played 3 games and no other quarterback in the league (other than Edwards) knows the system, Brown has a significant head start on any other young prospects. That limits the chances of bringing in a marginal improvement talent-wise.

Not to mention that if Brohm tanks and gets cut after this season, you've got your young project dime-a-dozen QB with some system experience to look at for next year and beyond to serve as your disaster QB this year.

Don't know if it was the best option. But probably the only option.

I think Chan is spewing a little bit of BS when he talked about Levi's release. If he felt he wasn't ready to be one of "their three" why didn't he add him to the PS? Why put him on the active roater now if he wasn't even good enough for the PS 3 weeks ago?

The practice squad doesn't mean he's any more protected from other teams signing him than if he was a free agent. So there's no "protection benefit" for him being on the squad. Practice squad players are good for one of two things: As the name suggests, helping the team practice with extra bodies to help run things. Secondly a place to keep working with people you think are raw skillwise and hope they can graduate up to the main roster to compete for a job.

Levi Brown couldn't help with the first job. Three QB's in practice is plenty. Chan said so himself that a 4th QB wouldn't get any reps at all. (usually 1st & 2nd QBs get reps with Offense and 3rd QB runs the scout team for the defense to practice against)

The Second job as a stashed player... why he wasn't kept is not as clearcut, although IIRC CG basically said that he couldn't devote any more time than to the 3 QBs that would be kept on the roster. Basically, Brohm beat out Levi for the developmental QB role.

The release of Trent allows for us to take on a new QB that has a chance to improve us in the future. No matter how small a chance, it's a larger chance than TE has, which is zero.

If we really really really needed a 3red string QB on the roster, then OK I guess. But I'm kindof with the OP. We could have brought in a player from another position that might help. The Seahawks just brought in Brandon Stokely, an OL from the Packers Practice Squad, and a FA OL. Why couldn't we have done something like that? Then if Fitz gets hurt in a game, we can cut someone else and sign Brown. Surely there are other guys on our team we could release.

The Bills were interested in Levi long before the draft. He was a guy they actually wanted. It would've been nice to keep him on the practice squad and all, but Chan indicated with so many other positions of need and so little QB work available in practice they had to let him go. Why is anyone shocked? When there was enough room on the roster to keep him he was the 4th QB. Now one the guys ahead of him is gone and he's back. Big deal.