A Bills fan takes a step back and reflects

Chappy444

I have been reading this forum and other Bills sites for a few years now and have recently decided to post some thoughts of my own.

I have been a Bills fan since I was old enough to understand the game, which has been since the early to mid 70s. You see I was born and raised in the greater Buffalo area so I really had no choice, I was steeped in the Bills for all of my formative years, my parents, friends, friends parents, and everyone I knew were Bills fans and we all lived and died with the Bills. I like to say that the scar tissue on my heart has scar tissue on it from being let down so many times. I moved away from Western New York in the early 90s living in places like North Carolina, Washington, and Baltimore. I have spent a sports fans lifetime dealing with the ridicule, the look of pity when someone finds out that I am a Bills fan, the Wide Right knuckleheads, and all the rest.

Over the past few years (read last 10 years) I have been getting progressively less tolerant of the product I was seeing, I was getting more and more fed up with the fact the I was spending the money on the NFL Sunday ticket so I could watch break down after break down, buying the hats and the jerseys, and the Ts only to find myself looking in my closet trying to decide if it was worth the ridicule I knew was coming if I wore that stuff out in public… (See, there is a down side to moving away from Buffalo.)

All of this got me to thinking long and hard about my Fan status with the Bills…how many times do you touch the pretty orange flame???

After much consideration I have come to the conclusion that what I am seeing today is no different than what I have been seeing my whole life.

Let me explain.

Since 1960 the Bills are 354-397-8. They have always been a sub 500 team, even when they are good and make it to the postseason they are still a sub 500 team (14-15 in post season play)

In team history (50 years) they have only had 22 seasons of 500 or better… and 12 of those were in the Levy era where we lost playoff game after playoff game and super bowl after super bowl…arguably the hardest time to be a Bills fan. And I do not see any evidence that the owner wants to change anything

Ralph Wilson and the Bills reminds me of the store in town that has been there for years and everyone wonders how the owner stays in business, no set business hours, little to no stock on the shelves, place hasnt been cleaned in years, it seems the owner puts in just enough work to keep the doors open and little else. And he is happy to live that life.

So now I have taken a step back, I am still a Bills fan, just not like I used to be. I wont buy the swag, I dont get the Sunday ticket anymore, and I will only go to a game if I win a ticket. The Bills are actually playing here in Baltimore this year…my friend has offered me his extra ticket… I am still not sure if I will go or not. If I do I wont wear any of my gear, I may have embraced my new Bills fan attitude of quiet desperation, but I still dont feel like hearing it from a stadium full of Ravens fans.

I will close with a quote from the Book Sh*t My Dad Says.

No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh*ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh*t makes you an idiot, not an optimist."

Edited by Chappy444

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...In team history (50 years) they have only had 22 seasons of 500 or better… and 12 of those were in the Levy era where we lost playoff game after playoff game???and super bowl after super bowl…arguably the hardest time to be a Bills fan???....

Very nice homily. Of course I'm not sure what the fu** you are talking about when you say the Bills "lost playoff game after playoff game" in the 12 years under Levy?? While you were living around the east coast, I went to every home playoff game during that era and of course watched every road playoff game during that era. For the record: From 1986 through 1997, the the Bills went 10-3 in playoff games, (including going 9-1 at home) and 0-4 in the 4 consecutive Super Bowls, for a total Levy era playoff record of 10-7-0. That equals out to .588 winning percentage for all playoff games the Bills played in with Marv as their head coach.

Please go back and check the Cleveland Browns' playoff record from 1965 thru today. (1964 was their last NFL Championship season.) I would wager that almost every one of those die hard "Dog Pound" Brownies fans would kill for an overall .588 playoff record over any 12 year period since 1964, and oh by the way, the Browns Super Bowl record still stands at 0-0. Amazing, but that proud franchise has never even made it into one Super Bowl.

Finally, when you say that the 12 years watching Levy coach the likes of Kelly, Thomas, Smith, Reed, Hull, Tasker, Bennett, Talley, Reich, Metzelaers, House Ballard, Wolford, Lofton and the rest who made up those great teams, was arguably the hardest time to be a Bills fan, you are talking out of your a**.

For those of us who are true die hard Bills fans, they were obviously the very best of times! If you were to whimpy to stand tall and defend those great teams despite losing all 4 of those SB's in a row, then yes, you are a shi*** pessimist. As if any franchise is ever going to play if 4 consecutive SB's again. That is something I am proud to have been a fan of, and always will.

Edited by BillsPhan

Not going to tell you how to feel, but for the life of me I can't figure out how people refer to the Levy years/Super Bowl years as the toughest time to be a Bills fan. Yeah, losing to Cincy in the AFC championship game, to Jacksonville in '96 and to the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys (x2) sucked. But we had some incredible regular-season wins and great playoff performances that included victories over good teams. Just in the AFC championship games, we beat Elways' Broncos, Montana's Chiefs and Marino's Dolphins. Throw in the fact that we were relevant...the media cared, other team's feared us, and other team's fans envied us and I'd say that those were the best times to be a fan. It sure as hell beats the present-day garbage.

Very nice homily. Of course I'm not sure what the fu** you are talking about when you say the Bills "lost playoff game after playoff game" in the 12 years under Levy?? While you were living around the east coast, I went to every home playoff game during that era and of course watched every road playoff game during that era. For the record: From 1986 through 1997, the the Bills went 10-3 in playoff games, (including going 9-1 at home) and 0-4 in the 4 consecutive Super Bowls, for a total Levy era playoff record of 10-7-0. That equals out to .588 winning percentage for all playoff games the Bills played in with Marv as their head coach.

Please go back and check the Cleveland Browns' playoff record from 1965 thru today. (1964 was their last NFL Championship season.) I would wager that almost every one of those die hard "Dog Pound" Brownies fans would kill for an overall .588 playoff record over any 12 year period since 1964, and oh by the way, the Browns Super Bowl record still stands at 0-0. Amazing, but that proud franchise has never even made it into one Super Bowl.

Finally, when you say that the 12 years watching Levy coach the likes of Kelly, Thomas, Smith, Reed, Hull, Tasker, Bennett, Talley, Reich, Metzelaers, House Ballard, Wolford, Lofton and the rest who made up those great teams, was arguably the hardest time to be a Bills fan, you are talking out of your a**.

For those of us who are true die hard Bills fans, they were obviously the very best of times! If you were to whimpy to stand tall and defend those great teams despite losing all 4 of those SB's in a row, then yes, you are a shi*** pessimist. As if any franchise is ever going to play if 4 consecutive SB's again. That is something I am proud to have been a fan of, and always will.

wow...such hostility. relax man, i wasn't trying to put sand in your mangina I was just making conversation.

for the record...

I can tell you were i was, what i was doing and who i was with for everyone of those playoff games and superbowls...i can also tell you exactly how i felt after everyone of those losses... heartbroke. this is why i said "arguably".

Yes i loved every minute of watching those wins pile up...remember i had just spent the last 20 years dealing with seasons like 4-12, 2-12, 1-13, 3-11, 5-11, 4-9-1. that is why it was hard to be a fan during the "superbowl" era... dashed hopes and expectations....yes i agree that it was a great time to watch the Bills play ball... i was simply saying that the letdown of those losses was as hard to take as watching them play was enjoyable.

as for my comment aobut the playoff losses... i was refering to this:

1988 Lost Conference Championship

1989 Lost Divisional Playoffs

1990 Lost Superbowl

1991 Lost Superbowl

1992 Lost Superbowl

1993 Lost Superbowl

1994 Didn't Make Playoffs

1995 Lost Divisional Playoffs

1996 Lost Wild Card Playoffs

1997 Didn't Make Playoffs

1998 Lost Wild Card Playoffs

1999 Lost Wild Card Playoffs

so...i stand by my statement of watching them "loose playoff after playoff and superbowl after superbowl."

who gives a crap about the Browns?

and the whole living around the east coast thing had to do with my enlistment in the military. in addition to the east coast i was also in the persian gulf, california, texas and the far east. But i am glad that you got to go to all those home games while I was out and about. was it great to be there? did you have a good time chillin' at the stadium watching the games live... i really would have like to be there as well, but now i am getting off point.

My very first recollection of watching something that was "live" on television was the day OJ got his 2003'rd yard against the Jets. Having said that, I think the late 80's and 90's during the playoff/Super Bowl years were the absolute best time to be a sports fan, if not just a Bills fan.

Just the thought of walking in a bar on a Monday night, seeing Buffalo/Miami on, the place packed and everyone glued to the tv sets, nothing beats that. Exceptperhaps 51-3. I still have the ticket stubs. Just something as simple as watching game highlights on Sportscenter was awesome knowing your team, if not part of the highlights you were watching at the time, was relevant to what you were watching.

I have been reading this forum and other Bills sites for a few years now and have recently decided to post some thoughts of my own.

I have been a Bills fan since I was old enough to understand the game, which has been since the early to mid 70’s. You see I was born and raised in the greater Buffalo area so I really had no choice, I was steeped in the Bills for all of my formative years, my parents, friends, friend’s parents, and everyone I knew were Bills fans and we all lived and died with the Bills. I like to say that the scar tissue on my heart has scar tissue on it from being let down so many times. I moved away from Western New York in the early 90’s living in places like North Carolina, Washington, and Baltimore. I have spent a sports fan’s lifetime dealing with the ridicule, the look of pity when someone finds out that I am a Bills fan, the “Wide Right” knuckleheads, and all the rest.

Over the past few years (read last 10 years) I have been getting progressively less tolerant of the product I was seeing, I was getting more and more fed up with the fact the I was spending the money on the NFL Sunday ticket so I could watch break down after break down, buying the hats and the jerseys, and the T’s only to find myself looking in my closet trying to decide if it was worth the ridicule I knew was coming if I wore that stuff out in public… (See, there is a down side to moving away from Buffalo.)

All of this got me to thinking long and hard about my Fan status with the Bills…how many times do you touch the pretty orange flame???

After much consideration I have come to the conclusion that what I am seeing today is no different than what I have been seeing my whole life.

Let me explain.

Since 1960 the Bills are 354-397-8. They have always been a sub 500 team, even when they are good and make it to the postseason they are still a sub 500 team (14-15 in post season play)

In team history (50 years) they have only had 22 seasons of 500 or better… and 12 of those were in the Levy era where we lost playoff game after playoff game and super bowl after super bowl…arguably the hardest time to be a Bills fan. And I do not see any evidence that the owner wants to change anything

Ralph Wilson and the Bills reminds me of the store in town that has been there for years and everyone wonders how the owner stays in business, no set business hours, little to no stock on the shelves, place hasn’t been cleaned in years, it seems the owner puts in just enough work to keep the doors open and little else. And he is happy to live that life.

So now I have taken a step back, I am still a Bills fan, just not like I used to be. I won’t buy the swag, I don’t get the Sunday ticket anymore, and I will only go to a game if I win a ticket. The Bills are actually playing here in Baltimore this year…my friend has offered me his extra ticket… I am still not sure if I will go or not. If I do I won’t wear any of my gear, I may have embraced my new Bills fan attitude of quiet desperation, but I still don’t feel like hearing it from a stadium full of Ravens fans.

“No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh*ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh*t makes you an idiot, not an optimist."

Welcome to TBD. Appreciate your candor and never think you alone in expressing this viewpoint.

+1. The OP should give it up. Being a Bills fan is hard work and it goes beyond the W-L record.

Welcome to TBD. Appreciate your candor and never think you alone in expressing this viewpoint.

I'll second that. I think we can all agree the Polian-Kelly years were the greatest and yet ended in heartache. And yes we would all take those again in a heartbeat. It was a time you wore your Bills gear proudly. But now that we've begun our second decade of futility its harder to find any enthusiasm, harder to justify the decisions, the hires, the drafts. I'm close to the same age and I'm no longer in WNY, presently in Steeler country. When I'm wearing my Bills hat I'm greeted with the same reaction of pity, or Why? or How could anybody like the Bills? And you know what, I'm running out of answers. To your point, other than the Kelly-Bruce years, my Bills memories are the suckass late 60s-early 70s Bills, mediocre 70s, a very brief Knox Bills, horrible early-mids 80s, and now the 11 year drought 00s Bills. The realist in me knows we are as far away from the playoffs as we have ever been and no amount of kool-aid is gonna change that.

"Ralph Wilson and the Bills reminds me of the store in town that has been there for years and everyone wonders how the owner stays in business, no set business hours, little to no stock on the shelves, place hasn’t been cleaned in years, it seems the owner puts in just enough work to keep the doors open and little else. And he is happy to live that life."

Pretty awesome comparison Chappy. Good Post overall :thumbsup:

as for my comment aobut the playoff losses... i was refering to this:

1988 Lost Conference Championship

1989 Lost Divisional Playoffs

1990 Lost Superbowl

1991 Lost Superbowl

1992 Lost Superbowl

1993 Lost Superbowl

1994 Didn't Make Playoffs

1995 Lost Divisional Playoffs

1996 Lost Wild Card Playoffs

1997 Didn't Make Playoffs

1998 Lost Wild Card Playoffs

1999 Lost Wild Card Playoffs

so...i stand by my statement of watching them "loose playoff after playoff and superbowl after superbowl."

What you have just documented are eleven years of unprecedented success. One that chooses to put a negative spin on that is in serious need of some medication, IMO. Sure they didn't win the SB in those years. Every team but one "doesn't win the SB" in every year. Should the fans of all the other teams be despondent?

I empathized with your thoughts, until you decided we should somehow be depressed or embarrassed by that streak under Levy.

What you have just documented are eleven years of unprecedented success. One that chooses to put a negative spin on that is in serious need of some medication, IMO. Sure they didn't win the SB in those years. Every team but one "doesn't win the SB" in every year. Should the fans of all the other teams be despondent?

I empathized with your thoughts, until you decided we should somehow be depressed or embarrassed by that streak under Levy.

to be clear,

in my post i said....

"In team history (50 years) they have only had 22 seasons of 500 or better… and 12 of those were in the Levy era where we lost playoff game after playoff game and super bowl after super bowl…arguably the hardest time to be a Bills fan. And I do not see any evidence that the owner wants to change anything"

i spent years and years watching crap football in buffalo... then... a glimmer of hope...a coach, some quality players and hey, life is good...then they fall short, year after year. they should have won the giants and one of the dallas superbowls... but they didn't, and that let down was hard to take. i was on my knees infront of the TV in my best friends livingroom praying for Norwood to make that friggin' kick. 30 years of failure wiped clean with one win... but nooooo. and after all that i am still a bills fan.

so yeah...that period of bills history is "arguably" the hardest time to be a fan... when your team is loosing every year like now...you have limited emotional involvement... its easy and relitivly painless to be a fan, it may be frustrating at times but you have limited expectations...but those years when you come soooo close after sooo long and fall short...it hurts more...making it a harder time to be a fan.

the best roster in the history of the club and they can't close the sale... that hurts way more than just sucking every year.

Edited by Chappy444

Great post, I am now a Phan!

This thread is like the country today.."it's too hard to be a Bills fan, they don't win all the time." You are more than welcome to choose another team and see how that works out for the next 20 years.

Edited by Vinny4sum

I have been a Bills fan since I was old enough to understand the game, which has been since the early to mid 70’s. You see I was born and raised in the greater Buffalo area so I really had no choice, I was steeped in the Bills for all of my formative years, my parents, friends, friend’s parents, and everyone I knew were Bills fans and we all lived and died with the Bills. I like to say that the scar tissue on my heart has scar tissue on it from being let down so many times. I moved away from Western New York in the early 90’s living in places like North Carolina, Washington, and Baltimore. I have spent a sports fan’s lifetime dealing with the ridicule, the look of pity when someone finds out that I am a Bills fan, the “Wide Right” knuckleheads, and all the rest.

Over the past few years (read last 10 years) I have been getting progressively less tolerant of the product I was seeing, I was getting more and more fed up with the fact the I was spending the money on the NFL Sunday ticket so I could watch break down after break down, buying the hats and the jerseys, and the T’s only to find myself looking in my closet trying to decide if it was worth the ridicule I knew was coming if I wore that stuff out in public… (See, there is a down side to moving away from Buffalo.)

Let me explain.

Ralph Wilson and the Bills reminds me of the store in town that has been there for years and everyone wonders how the owner stays in business, no set business hours, little to no stock on the shelves, place hasn’t been cleaned in years, it seems the owner puts in just enough work to keep the doors open and little else. And he is happy to live that life.

So now I have taken a step back, I am still a Bills fan, just not like I used to be. I won’t buy the swag, I don’t get the Sunday ticket anymore, and I will only go to a game if I win a ticket. The Bills are actually playing here in Baltimore this year…my friend has offered me his extra ticket… I am still not sure if I will go or not. If I do I won’t wear any of my gear, I may have embraced my new Bills fan attitude of quiet desperation, but I still don’t feel like hearing it from a stadium full of Ravens fans.

“No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world sh*ts on everybody. Pretending it ain't sh*t makes you an idiot, not an optimist."

first of all, let me say thanks for your service. many people take for granted that they can go to games safely . So seriously , thanks.

However, if it's that bad for you being a Bills fan, why not just step away? I honestly can't understand why people hang on to something that doesn't make them happy. Just pick another team and all will be well. It's like hanging on to your wife that you once loved but things just aren't the same anymore. Do you live unhappily or just get the divorce? Sounds like its time to move on to me.

Billsphan, I'm usually swearing at you but i now have a new found respect for you. :thumbsup:

my favorite saying during the superbowl years was "we're # 2 ! "

Damn Dean, you always say some good sh*t.

You're not depressed that we didn't win a SB? I find that hard to believe if you're a true Bills fan. I read your posts with high regard, but I have to disagree with this one. I am not "depressed" to the point that it affects my everyday life, but it definitely affects my life regarding football. The culture of our team would be different if we had just one. Yessir

Edited by NewEra