Kelsay Close To Extension Deal

Rico

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been an overpaid under-performer for years. How he hasn't been cut yet is beyond me. I know his teammates love him and he's a high-character, good leader. But he's on-field performance leave much to be desired. And he's looked awful and out of place as a 3-4 OLB.

:wallbash:

Edited by lets_go_bills

Kelsay Close to Extension Deal

I really hope this doesn't turn out to be true. How can anyone at 1 Bill Drive not see the same things that we all see? He can't cover anyone, he can't rush the passer without a hand on the ground (and even then, isn't very good), he's small, slow, and easily pushed around. I don't care that this band of losers keeps voting him their captain. If anything, that's incentive to get rid of him. This is the team that's been largely indifferent about losing for most of Kelsay's tenure. If that's the kind of leadership he's providing in the locker room, count me out.

And for anyone queuing up that old chestnut, "they get paid to evaluate football players, you're just some armchair GM," here's my response: Yes, Nix et al are professional evaluators of talent, and yes, I'm an amateur. And yes, they have access to the coach's film, and know what Kelsay's assignment was on every play, and can watch practice, so they have a lot more information than I do. BUT! They are bad at their jobs, possibly incompetent. I'm not impressed by anyone's professional status unless it appears to be legitimate. If I was hired as the Bills' GM, I think the team would probably lose every year. But guess what? It already loses every year! I'm sorry, but you can't appeal to authority when that authority is a laughingstock around the league.

Agreed. Look at how this pathetic defense responded today under Chris Kelsay's "leadership." On top of that, he's terrible in pass rushing, terrible in coverage, and mediocre in run defense.

Vet minimum? Sure. I can deal with that. $24 million? :cry: Nix needs to be fired. Or better yet, Wilson needs to sell the team now to Kelly's group.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/

Buffalo Bills outside linebacker Chris Kelsay is close to an agreement on a contract extension with the team, sources tell The News.

Kelsay, 30, is in his eighth season with the Bills and has pleased the Bills’ new regime with his transition from defensive end to outside linebacker.

:death:

Even the eternal optimists have to be getting enlightened by this news.

You just can't rationalize investing yourself in this mess.

You have to let go and observe.

Don't bother speculating on who they will draft, acquire or choose to retain in free agency. There is no correlation between what they obviously need and what they actually think they need.

There was a time when you could get a feel for what this organization would do. That really ended the day they shockingly drafted Willis McGahee. Since then, their approach to personnel has made little sense.

They are mostly unaware of their own futility and the causes. That helpless feeling the Bills leave fans with during yet another offseason where problems are not addressed makes fans feel hopelessly detatched from their own team.

Kelsay is the best OLB they have so they sign him to an extension. Maybe they plan on cutting the other OLBs (that are even worse) instead of Kelsay...

That's like booking 3 mimes for a Friday night at a comedy club, then giving one of them an obscenely huge raise because he's the "best mime".

It's still an awful way to spend a Friday night.

Kelsay is the best OLB they have so they sign him to an extension. Maybe they plan on cutting the other OLBs (that are even worse) instead of Kelsay...

How can there be so many people as blind as you in this community? Did you see that guy blow assignments, unable to cover backs and tight ends and generally suck today?

They don't have a single OLB that deserves to start in the NFL. One upside of having a 3-4 defense is that pass rushing OLB's are typically easier to find than pass rushing DE's. Extending Kelsay makes no football sense, and a lot of Buffalo Bills sense.