scouting mallet

playman

im delighted that this game will be shown here. and i will be watching. closely :D

i know there´s no guarantee he´ll come out after this season. but he may be tempted as there likely will be a rookie scale in the future.

i really hope he impressed today.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im delighted that this game will be shown here. and i will be watching. closely :D

i know there´s no guarantee he´ll come out after this season. but he may be tempted as there likely will be a rookie scale in the future.

i really hope he impressed today.

I'll be watching. :devil:

Working 2-10 so I will miss the game. Can you guys post your observations in here so I don't have to scour the board when I come back home?

Don't worry, Football Genius Buddy Nix is watching the game for you.

He'll analyze every throw, chronicle his pocket presence and awareness, and make judgments about Mallet's intangibles and NFL readiness that only a 70 year old first time GM can reliably make.

Mallett is an impressive prospect. After watching last weeks game he'll need to have the game of his life to beat Alabama. Arkansas, IMO, lacks the running game and defense to beat Alabama. The only shot they have is if Mallett goes off and versus a Nick Saban defense I don't see it happening. I expect Saban to throw a ton of blitzs up the middle and force Mallett to move outside the pocket.

Arkansas was up big on Geaorgia last week and then let Georgia right back in the game in the 4th quarter. They can't have any slip ups like that this week, but playing at home should help.

Today is a great test for Mallet and if he wants to be a top pick he has to perform well. If he puts up a stinker, Luck will continue to dominate the headlines and Mallett will lose a lot of the momentum he's been gaining in the media. I've been an advocate of Mallett on this board, so to be honest I'm a little fearful of what I may see out of him today vs. Bama.

My gut is Bama wins comfortably and Mallett has one of his poorer performances (a couple on interecptions and low completion %).

Bama -250 moneyline is a solid bet today. I'm not betting it though because I want to be able to objectively assess Mallett without screaming everytime he makes a nice play.

Andrew Luck is playing at the same time (3:30 PM) @ Notre Dame, for anyone who doesn't already know.

BTW here are my takes on Mallett:

Strengths:

-Playaction fake is deadly. Really sells the ball fake and can freeze the defense

-Arm strength is the best of any College QB. Can throw a laser anywhere on the field.

-Has a good feel for the pocket around him. Is able to buy time moving around and isn't afraid to step up into the pocket.

-Can deliver the ball downfield on the move

-His height helps him see the entire field

-Not afraid to take chances downfield (which some may view as a negative, but after watching trent edwards the last 3 years it's a positive in my book)

Weaknesses

-Accuracy can be suspect at times especially on the short & short/medium passes

-Needs to work on his touch on the short balls to create a more catchable ball (sometimes they come out too hot)

-Thows off balance more than you'd like to see, often throwing off of his backfoot when it's not neccesary.

-Is not a very thick QB, kind of lean looking.

-Plays in a Petrino "spread like" offense (same as Brian Brohm) and isn't under center very often. Perhaps a learning curve when he enters the NFL.

Edited by Estro

My gut is Bama wins comfortably and Mallett has one of his poorer performances (a couple on interecptions and low completion %).

As a Razorback fan, I hate to say it, but that's a pretty safe bet. The Razorbacks just don't have the overall talent level to compete with Alabama right now. Their defense will prove itself to be suspect as the season wears on, they don't have a running game, and their OL is just OK in pass protection. In light of that, I really don't expect Mallett to have a very good game today, but given the talent differential between the two teams, I don't really hold that against him, either.

well, that handling of the bad snap,completing a pass, followed by a TD, thats something id like to see sundays at buffalo :)

He certainly looked poised and found the open man on each throw, both of which looked nice. I'm still a bit nervous that he stomps around too much and takes his time with his delivery due to those long arms and legs. Really impressive start for the Razorbacks so far, although I don't think Alabama is really "all that" (beating up on Duke and San Jose State?). With a weak and inexperienced secondary I think Mallett could rip it up today and his stock should substantially shoot up.

BTW here are my takes on Mallett:

Strengths:

-Playaction fake is deadly. Really sells the ball fake and can freeze the defense

Wow, you're not kidding--- he froze the cameraman and the announcing crew just now!