House Republicans to unveil agenda Thursday

/dev/null

In previous threads.

More recently he's said belief is equivalent to "fairy tales" which are, by definition, fictitious and impossible.

Not impossible Joe, just unnecessary and improbable. I never said anything resembling: "beyond the shadow of a doubt that the existence of a Divine Being is IMPOSSIBLE". Fairy tales are not impossible either, just similarly improbable.

I'm not the one who deals in absolutes. Don't be disingenuous just because you don't like what's being said.

The extraordinary claim remains yours.

Edited by Gene Frenkle

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In previous threads.

More recently he's said belief is equivalent to "fairy tales" which are, by definition, fictitious and impossible.

I have no problem with him equating them to fairy tales or flying spaghetti monsters. I agree with him on that. But calling people stupid that believe offends me seeing many in my family and some of my best friends believe and they are far from stupid.

Nice response. I'm just trying to make sense of it all like the rest and this just happens to be a topic I have strong opinions about. Oh well.

Lemme translate:

Youre a bigoted, intolerant fool who is what he claims to despise.

Edited by RkFast

Ok, I'll play along...

It's just their steadfast belief in the face of overwhelming evidence that is quite stupid IMO.

vs.

It's just their steadfast belief despite a complete lack of evidence that is quite stupid IMO.

I guess, but you're really getting picky here...is this a 'I was right' kind of thing?

Thank god there are fewer believers than I thought!

I doubt you'll find a post of mine claiming that religion is anything more than a matter of "faith" or something than can be proved or disproved.

Without any evidence, why do people feel the need to introduce a complex being called god into the equation and just assume its existence?

You aren't interested in having a discussion so I am not inclined to even debate it (your story keeps changing) with you. I will just mark you down as someone who hates well over 90% of the country when you factor in rednecks and those who believe in a God of some sort. Must be lonely in your world.

So...

1) we've got a thread called "Republicans to unveil agenda Thursday".

2) This thread has only one mention of the agenda, with no substantive look at what the actual agenda is, or claims to be.

3) This thread has devolved into the typical actors talking about the existence of God, or lack thereof, or how stupid people are, or how bigoted people are.

4) No one wants to actually talk about the ideas / proposals / anything.

A nice little microcosm of the political situation in America. Great job, everyone!

So...

1) we've got a thread called "Republicans to unveil agenda Thursday".

2) This thread has only one mention of the agenda, with no substantive look at what the actual agenda is, or claims to be.

3) This thread has devolved into the typical actors talking about the existence of God, or lack thereof, or how stupid people are, or how bigoted people are.

4) No one wants to actually talk about the ideas / proposals / anything.

A nice little microcosm of the political situation in America. Great job, everyone!

Krugman had an excellent article on this

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/24/opinion/24krugman.html?hp