House Republicans to unveil agenda Thursday

/dev/null

Not stupid people per se. Similar to 911 Truthers, religious people aren't necessarily stupid about most things. It's just their steadfast belief in the face of overwhelming evidence that is quite stupid IMO.

Really? Present your overwhelming evidence and do not start with the Earth is 6,000 years old. There are very few that believe that, but with an omnipotent God, even that is possible.

Edited by Booster4324

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not stupid people per se. Similar to 911 Truthers, religious people aren't necessarily stupid about most things. It's just their steadfast belief in the face of overwhelming evidence that is quite stupid IMO.

So the fact that there are people that don't believe you consider that overwhelming evidence. Or is there something you know they don't. Yeah, you're an intolerate idiot.

Edited by Chef Jim

Be nice, he isn't an idiot...

Ok, then he a moronic one trick pony. We get it Gene, you despise people who believe in something you don't. I don't believe in God but would never hold it against people that do. Because for all I know they may be right and I may be wrong.

So the fact that there are people that don't believe you consider that overwhelming evidence. Or is there something you know they don't. Yeah, you're an intolerate idiot.

No, I would have to modify the 911 Truther statement to fit religious folks. Something like: It's just their steadfast belief despite a complete lack of evidence that is quite stupid IMO.

You can call me intolerant or a one-trick pony or whatever, but that doesn't make that last statement any less true. Again, I'll go back to my "one trick": Think about how effed up all this religious strife and drama appears to a non-believer. I think it's completely rational to be intolerant of people who start wars, kill, do harm to others, discriminate and reject science based on some effing fairy tale. Please tell me why I should be tolerant of these things.

No, I would have to modify the 911 Truther statement to fit religious folks. Something like: It's just their steadfast belief despite a complete lack of evidence that is quite stupid IMO.

You can call me intolerant or a one-trick pony or whatever, but that doesn't make that last statement any less true. Again, I'll go back to my "one trick": Think about how effed up all this religious strife and drama appears to a non-believer. I think it's completely rational to be intolerant of people who start wars, kill, do harm to others, discriminate and reject science based on some effing fairy tale. Please tell me why I should be tolerant of these things.

Because all of those things you talk about are not exclusive to religion. And you do that while at the same time ignoring all the good thigs done in the name of religion.

Because all of those things you talk about are not exclusive to religion. And you do that while at the same time ignoring all the good thigs done in the name of religion.

What I spend my time talking about is irrelevant. Are you seriously suggesting that religion has done more good than harm throughout history? Seriously???

What I spend my time talking about is irrelevant. Are you seriously suggesting that religion has done more good than harm throughout history? Seriously???

You can't quantitatively measure whether it has done more good than bad simply because of the intangible benefits that religion has provided for many people. You are overzealous in your views against religion, which makes you incapable of reasoning and understanding the other side of the coin or refusing to try to understand that religion can provide a guideline for many people in living a more moral life.

Forget about the people who teach or preach religion, because they are simply people and people !@#$ things up all the time. If you go into the teachings of the bible,koran or other religious books you will see that they advocate a good way of living. Many of their views are very reasonable.

Of course what gets the headlines are the hypocrites that use religion to further their own selfish agendas which in turn affects and turns people off. Somehow the entire religion gets tarred with the same brush and people such as yourself go out of their way to caricature the entire movement as a bunch of gullible "idiots".

Tangibly you could make an argument that religion has caused more strife than good, but where you fail lies within the intangible benefits that cannot be accurately measured, in how religion has improved the structure of many peoples lives.

I for one don't need religion for structure, I do believe that there is a god, for me it is undeniable that there is a greater force out there that has placed order within this universe. I don't buy into random chaos resulting in structured order. Doesn't make sense to me.

However, as I noted, I don't believe that you need religion to live a more "moral" life, but I do recognize that for many, religion is a way of achieving this.

Your problem is that you see everything within a box, and as I said you are either unable or unwilling to think outside of that box.

Edited by Magox

You can't quantitatively measure whether it has done more good than bad simply because of the intangible benefits that religion has provided for many people. You are overzealous in your views against religion, which makes you incapable of reasoning and understanding the other side of the coin or refusing to try to understand that religion can provide a guideline for many people in living a more moral life.

All well and good, if one assumes that morals come from religion. I'd argue that our morals are hard-wired through evolution. Unlike the religious view, my view is supported by evidence.

Forget about the people who teach or preach religion, because they are simply people and people !@#$ things up all the time. If you go into the teachings of the bible,koran or other religious books you will see that they advocate a good way of living. Many of their views are very reasonable.

Ok, people !@#$ things up all the time - why do we need to bring religion into it? How do you know what a good way of living is? If you go into the teachings of the bible, koran or other religious books you will see that they all teach very, very similar morals - which supports the idea that morals are hard-wired and have little to do with religion.

Of course what gets the headlines are the hypocrites that use religion to further their own selfish agendas which in turn affects and turns people off. Somehow the entire religion gets tarred with the same brush and people such as yourself go out of their way to caricature the entire movement as a bunch of gullible "idiots".

Religion provides a powerful tool for these types of people to control the true believers in a cult-like fashion.

Tangibly you could make an argument that religion has caused more strife than good, but where you fail lies within the intangible benefits that cannot be accurately measured, in how religion has improved the structure of many peoples lives.

How very lofty and ethereal. You assume that many people would have little structure to their lives without religion based on...? I can easily provide concrete evidence of all the harm that religion has done, where's yours?

I for one don't need religion for structure, I do believe that there is a god, for me it is undeniable that there is a greater force out there that has placed order within this universe. I don't buy into random chaos resulting in structured order. Doesn't make sense to me.

Most people don't need religious structure, whether they want to admit it or not. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake..

Your non-acceptance of what you see as the "order from chaos" aspect of Evolution is based on the fact that it doesn't makes sense to you? Ever read up on Quantum Mechanics? I'd imagine that you have some concept of the trouble human beings have thinking about really big numbers, like say the billions of years that life has been evolving on Earth. Natural Selection based on random mutations makes a lot of sense over such large timelines. My opinion is that many of the people who reject aspects of Evolution do so because they cannot comprehend what "billions of years" implies.

However, as I noted, I don't believe that you need religion to live a more "moral" life, but I do recognize that for many, religion is a way of achieving this.

Your problem is that you see everything within a box, and as I said you are either unable or unwilling to think outside of that box.

Again, morals are hard-wired. People with bad wiring do immoral things, religious or not. You fail to account for the possiblilty that moral behavior has nothing to do with religion, which does not indicate outside-the-box thinking on your part.

It's amazing that you fail to see the millions no that's probably billions of people throughout history that have been touched by religion in a positive way. Must suck to always look at certain things in a negative manner.

Are you talking about abused Catholic school boys or Islamic girls with acid on their faces?

I'm a relatively happy person, and if anything an optimist. Way to stereotype the non-believer. :angry:

All well and good, if one assumes that morals come from religion. I'd argue that our morals are hard-wired through evolution. Unlike the religious view, my view is supported by evidence.

Ok, people !@#$ things up all the time - why do we need to bring religion into it? How do you know what a good way of living is? If you go into the teachings of the bible, koran or other religious books you will see that they all teach very, very similar morals - which supports the idea that morals are hard-wired and have little to do with religion.

Religion provides a powerful tool for these types of people to control the true believers in a cult-like fashion.

How very lofty and ethereal. You assume that many people would have little structure to their lives without religion based on...? I can easily provide concrete evidence of all the harm that religion has done, where's yours?

Most people don't need religious structure, whether they want to admit it or not. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake..

Your non-acceptance of what you see as the "order from chaos" aspect of Evolution is based on the fact that it doesn't makes sense to you? Ever read up on Quantum Mechanics? I'd imagine that you have some concept of the trouble human beings have thinking about really big numbers, like say the billions of years that life has been evolving on Earth. Natural Selection based on random mutations makes a lot of sense over such large timelines. My opinion is that many of the people who reject aspects of Evolution do so because they cannot comprehend what "billions of years" implies.

Again, morals are hard-wired. People with bad wiring do immoral things, religious or not. You fail to account for the possiblilty that moral behavior has nothing to do with religion, which does not indicate outside-the-box thinking on your part.

Are you talking about abused Catholic school boys or Islamic girls with acid on their faces?

I'm a relatively happy person, and if anything an optimist. Way to stereotype the non-believer. :angry:

So you're going to compare the relatively small number of people abused by religion to those that have been helped in a positive way over the past few thousand years? Really? (to use your phrase). You do know that I'm also a non-believer too don't you?

So you're going to compare the relatively small number of people abused by religion to those that have been helped in a positive way over the past few thousand years? Really? (to use your phrase). You do know that I'm also a non-believer too don't you?

Any ill done in-the-name-of or facilitated-by unsupported nonsense is too much.

You again assume that religion causes people to do good or evil, which I disagree with. Religion may facilitate good and evil, and my argument is that it has facilitated more evil than good throughout history.

Any ill done in-the-name-of or facilitated-by unsupported nonsense is too much.

You again assume that religion causes people to do good or evil, which I disagree with. Religion may facilitate good and evil, and my argument is that it has facilitated more evil than good throughout history.

Enjoy the printed word? Thank Guttenberg, who perfected it to print the Bible. One small example.

It depends on who's word we're talking about. You think that the printing press would not have been invented were it not for the Bible?

No offense, but you are truly a zealot, which makes you incapable of reasonable deduction regarding this topic.

No offense, but you are truly a zealot, which makes you incapable of reasonable deduction regarding this topic.

None taken, I guess...can you give some examples of where I'm not being reasonable? I appreciate your opinion, but why not attack my logic and reasoning instead of my character?