Sully is right

You simply can't miss on your top draft picks for a decade and expect to be competitive.

"That's why it was so distressing watching Matthews run wild against the Bills. The consequence of bad drafting isn't restricted to the Bills' sideline. It's everywhere you look around the NFL. They're playing linebacker in Washington, wide receiver in Philadelphia, offensive tackle in Baltimore.

Miss on enough high draft picks and eventually you sink to the bottom. If you believe the Bills needed to bottom out, take heart. This team appears to be doing that. They actually played well in the second quarter and seemed capable of an upset. The fact that they wound up losing by 27 shows you just how bad it is."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article195294.ece

If you go back and watch some of Nix's comments earlier this year, he says the same things.

You simply can't miss on your top draft picks for a decade and expect to be competitive.

"That's why it was so distressing watching Matthews run wild against the Bills. The consequence of bad drafting isn't restricted to the Bills' sideline. It's everywhere you look around the NFL. They're playing linebacker in Washington, wide receiver in Philadelphia, offensive tackle in Baltimore.

Miss on enough high draft picks and eventually you sink to the bottom. If you believe the Bills needed to bottom out, take heart. This team appears to be doing that. They actually played well in the second quarter and seemed capable of an upset. The fact that they wound up losing by 27 shows you just how bad it is."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article195294.ece

If you go back and watch some of Nix's comments earlier this year, he says the same things.

So, that's why the O-line, QB and WR were basically ignored in this past draft?

I agree however what has Nix done to address fixing the scouting departments??

THAT is the question...

Because I would not trust Modrak to pick out my socks in the morning let alone to pick the next guy I'm going to make a multi-millionaire with a Top 10 Pick... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

So, that's why the O-line, QB and WR were basically ignored in this past draft?

I don't think it's fair to say they were "ignored". Our top two picks for those positions weren't used but they did draft Wang, Easley, Howard and Brown.

They had to get a NT so they grabbed Troupe with the 2nd pick and that gets to my biggest issue with the "rebuilding" project. The Bills lost games last season because they couldn't score any freaking points. The switch to the 3-4 should have been a long term plan and I question the timing on that change.

I don't think it's fair to say they were "ignored". Our top two picks for those positions weren't used but they did draft Wang, Easley, Howard and Brown.

They had to get a NT so they grabbed Troupe with the 2nd pick and that gets to my biggest issue with the "rebuilding" project. The Bills lost games last season because they couldn't score any freaking points. The switch to the 3-4 should have been a long term plan and I question the timing on that change.

I agree Mike. There MUST have been a tight end or two available at the slot we took Carrington in the 3rd.

I agree however what has Nix done to address fixing the scouting departments??

he brought in a few guys but the improvemnt will come from him. He will make the call and he can judge talent. Having dickie j lead the organization for the last 4 years really turned this into a first class mess. It sucks and yesterday was a disater but this will take some time.

Boy, I would have never thought of what Sully said, his insight, his depth of thinking, his utter and complete grasp of the obvious! Gotta love

those newspaper unions.....just like having tenure....and his effort reflects it.

On that we are in complete agreement. The fact that they decided to switch schemes borders on arrogance when the team was so devoid of offensive talent (well, we have plenty of offensive talent, just not offensive talent in the football playing sense).

On that we are in complete agreement. The fact that they decided to switch schemes borders on arrogance when the team was so devoid of offensive talent (well, we have plenty of offensive talent, just not offensive talent in the football playing sense).

Same here. I also thought this was not the year to switch D schemes. We should have bulked up on D & shored up our OL at a minimum this off-season. Also, going BPA is not a luxury we could afford yet. Next year we could have concentrated on switching schemes and getting a QB. It appears that with a slavish adherence to the long term view, the FO lost sight of the fact that we need to be half way competitive this season.

Same here. I also thought this was not the year to switch D schemes. We should have bulked up on D & shored up our OL at a minimum this off-season. Also, going BPA is not a luxury we could afford yet. Next year we could have concentrated on switching schemes and getting a QB. It appears that with a slavish adherence to the long term view, the FO lost sight of the fact that we need to be half way competitive this season.

Or they're astutely buying themselves even more time...

None of Nix's 2010 draft picks are making any contribution thus far this season. But I'm glad he's right.

Exactly.

At this point, does Spiller look like a departure from the past regime? Luxury pick on guy who many feared would not translate to NFL (Reggie Bush-type) instead of addressing key needs of tackle and pass rusher?

Please tell me how the Cornell Green signing differs from bringing in Bennie Andersen, Tutan Reyes, etc. This is the same garbage warmed over.

Why do people not see that, but want to believe in Nix?

If we weren't/aren't going to be any good this year we may as well make the switch to the 3-4 and take our lumps now

That's right. Many of us have been saying it from day one of the new FA regime, we are going to suck this year and it's it's going to be a tough rebuild. We've drafted poorly over the past decade and one draft ain't gonna fix it. You're best new players are last year's rookies. My only beef with Nix and Chan right now is let's just go for it. Lose Trent, lose Cornell Green, don't have Kelsay covering tight ends, trade Marshawn and play the kids. If we are going to suck, let's suck with rooks and young players who need the playing time and not with washed up vets and palyers with no upside. Screw it, put in Maybin until we know he can't play and move on him. Play the young linebackers. Play CJ. Play Brohm. Play Wang and Meredith, play Nelson and let's start with the total rebuild and be done with it.

Edited by Green Lightning

It appears that with a slavish adherence to the long term view, the FO lost sight of the fact that we need to be half way competitive this season.

Why? Why do we HAVE to be half way competitive this year?

You want the Bills to go 6-10 or 7-9 just to satisfy your short term happiness, so the Bills can pick 9-12 again instead of 1-5 and miss out on a true impact player in the draft--which is one of the reasons why the Bills have been trapped in mediocrity for the past few years--they win just enough games to miss out on the top talent in the draft.

Suck it up, and realize that bottoming out for a year or two gives the Bills a better shot at improving than being 6-10 or 7-9 year after year and having to pick Lynch instead of Adrian Peterson or Patrick Willis, Whitner instead of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, etc. etc.

Why? Why do we HAVE to be half way competitive this year?

You want the Bills to go 6-10 or 7-9 just to satisfy your short term happiness, so the Bills can pick 9-12 again instead of 1-5 and miss out on a true impact player in the draft--which is one of the reasons why the Bills have been trapped in mediocrity for the past few years--they win just enough games to miss out on the top talent in the draft.

Suck it up, and realize that bottoming out for a year or two gives the Bills a better shot at improving than being 6-10 or 7-9 year after year and having to pick Lynch instead of Adrian Peterson or Patrick Willis, Whitner instead of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, etc. etc.

Mike Williams instead of.....oops, never mind.

I or anyone else can list impact players selected in every draft after the Bills pick. Perhaps if our long term plan involved a solid scouting department we wouldn't be in the shape we find ourselves in.

Mike Williams instead of.....oops, never mind.

I or anyone else can list impact players selected in every draft after the Bills pick. Perhaps if our long term plan involved a solid scouting department we wouldn't be in the shape we find ourselves in.

Saved me the trouble of a reply, Beer. It is immaterial where we pick irrespective of the quality of the scouting department. A good scouting group can ensure years of lower picks after a string of good early picks.