Sully on Howard Simon this morning

Drew026

It got really heated over an arguement over what to do with Lynch. Sullivan sounded like he wanted to come through the phone and beat them up it was hysterical. It was so refreshing to hear someone argue with him and basically be right about it, rather then listen to him coupled with his other negative nancy dbags on the afternoon show.

It got really heated over an arguement over what to do with Lynch. Sullivan sounded like he wanted to come through the phone and beat them up it was hysterical. It was so refreshing to hear someone argue with him and basically be right about it, rather then listen to him coupled with his other negative nancy dbags on the afternoon show.

Well, Simon said he agreed with Sully's overall take on things so I'm not sure what you mean by "basically be right about it."

I don't always agree with Sully...But I think he's 100% right about the RB situation...I also think he's 100% right about Fred Jackson and Jeremy is wrong...Fred Jackson may have come from nowhere and it's easy to undervalue him, but he has that certain something...He may not have the overall athletic ability or breakaway speed of some, but he's got incredible vision and instincts...He has a knack for finding the hole and turning nothing into something...He won't show up on every highlight reel...But he's as solid as a rock...And I bet there are a TON of NFL Teams that would LOVE to have Fred Jackson...

As far as cutting Marshawn goes, no question I think he's wrong there...But that's his opinion...Sully thinks Marshawn is a waste...He's entitled to that opinion right or wrong...He's not the only one with that opinion either...

Like I said I don't always agree with Sully but in this case I don't think he's too far off... B-)

Well, Simon said he agreed with Sully's overall take on things so I'm not sure what you mean by "basically be right about it."

I don't always agree with Sully...But I think he's 100% right about the RB situation...I also think he's 100% right about Fred Jackson and Jeremy is wrong...Fred Jackson may have come from nowhere and it's easy to undervalue him, but he has that certain something...He may not have the overall athletic ability or breakaway speed of some, but he's got incredible vision and instincts...He has a knack for finding the hole and turning nothing into something...He won't show up on every highlight reel...But he's as solid as a rock...And I bet there are a TON of NFL Teams that would LOVE to have Fred Jackson...

As far as cutting Marshawn goes, no question I think he's wrong there...But that's his opinion...Sully thinks Marshawn is a waste...He's entitled to that opinion right or wrong...He's not the only one with that opinion either...

Like I said I don't always agree with Sully but in this case I don't think he's too far off... B-)

I bet the Pats would be one of them. Sammy Morris is a poor man's Fred Jackson.

I bet the Pats would be one of them. Sammy Morris is a poor man's Fred Jackson.

I gotta say Freddie is my favorite Buffalo Bill right now by far...Maybe I'm ignoring Sully's rants a bit due to the fact he was sticking up for Jackson and when Jeremy said Sully always overvalues Jackson I about lost it myself... :lol:

How the hell do you "overvalue" a guy like Fred Jackson? Is it even possible? B-)

Agree with your assessment of Lynch/Jackson 150%. I've been saying for the past few years that Jackson is a better runner than Lynch. He's more down-the-field, instead of Lynch's herky-jerky style that only serves to miss tackles, yet gain all of 3 yards. I'd rather have Jackson try to plow through a hole and get 3 yards than Lynch shake & bake a few defenders to get 7.

I don't think Lynch is a "waste", per se. He can still play and can be coached, but with the overall RB situation, I think moving Lynch (not cutting him outright) wouldn't be a bad move at all.

Agree with your assessment of Lynch/Jackson 150%. I've been saying for the past few years that Jackson is a better runner than Lynch. He's more down-the-field, instead of Lynch's herky-jerky style that only serves to miss tackles, yet gain all of 3 yards. I'd rather have Jackson try to plow through a hole and get 3 yards than Lynch shake & bake a few defenders to get 7.

I don't think Lynch is a "waste", per se. He can still play and can be coached, but with the overall RB situation, I think moving Lynch (not cutting him outright) wouldn't be a bad move at all.

Agreed...

And just to be clear about it I don't think Lynch is a waste, nor do I think the Bills should have cut him...But I do understand if someone has that feeling...There are reasons I guess...

When the Bills Drafted Spiller I was none-to-happy, but I thought they would move Lynch and everything would be OK...This 3 RB's deal is a joke and I'm not sure what the Bills are up to...Maybe they have gotten enough decent offers for Lynch that they are simply convinced eventually they'll get ever more...I don't know...But I do know he's got to go...Freddie and CJ will do just fine...Well...At least some day they will... B-)

I will listen to it later tonight. But if Sully really did say the Bills should CUT Lynch, then he is a clueless moron. There are teams trying to trade for Lynch right now. Why would you cut a guy instead of getting something in trade?

I will listen to it later tonight. But if Sully really did say the Bills should CUT Lynch, then he is a clueless moron. There are teams trying to trade for Lynch right now. Why would you cut a guy instead of getting something in trade?

Because he writes only to fire people up. His columns are written in a bubble with no perspective. You have a 30 yr old RB and a rookie as 1 and 2. Your 3rd RB is a pro bowler with a decent amount of yards. Trade/cut him and have an old RB and a rookie? sounds responsible?

He was LIVID but the reason why he got pissed was bc JW called him out and said that Jerry wrote that after Marshawn didn't attend OTAs, he would have cut him. Sully's article yesterday talked about trading Marshawn. Pretty sure I remember JW assuming that Jerry 'would think' something. That's when he really lost it. I can't remember the specifics but he was literally screaming into the phone. Frankly, I was a little frightened :cry: ...just kidding, JW backed off his point and they agreed to disagree that Fred Jackson is over-valued and that one of the RBs should be traded. I'm sure someone who taps into the Audio Vault can be more specific.

Edited by tbonestake

Just listened to it. Wish I hadn't. I had forgotten that his ability to intelligently articulate any position verbally is even worse than his ability to do so in writing. Painful. I didn't have a problem with his opinions (He did say he would cut Lynch), as that's what they were: opinions. It was the arrogant, condescending, almost adolescent(as demeaning as that is to adolescents everywhere) way in which he expressed them.

Sully can make sense sometimes; at other times he makes no sense. His emotions seem to get in the way. For some reason he just doesn't like Lynch. Personally, I don't care if a player is great with the media. I care what they do on the field.

Don't forget Jackson was injured in the preseason and with the Bills history of injuries, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the 3 RBs were injured for a length of time this year. We might think Bell is good but he cleared waivers without a problem, so no other team wanted him. Also, Gailey wanted to try some two RB sets this year and that may still be a major item.

The point is I could care less about Lynch's off the field problems. They were minor in my mind and are over with and he is not trying to be a disruption for lack of playing time, instead he is saying the right things to the media. What is the rush to get rid of him? I would take a second round pick, nothing less, and fortunately Nix seems to feel about the same way. At least Nix seems to understand Levy's concept that if you listen to the fans (and the media for that matter) you will eventually be sitting with the fans.

If Lynch has such limited value, why would anyone give up anything to get him? If he can score a few touchdowns for us this season, that is worth more than an extra 7th round pick. You have to be logical about this- and I don't believe the 3rd round and a player garbage.

Didn't listen to the segment... and won't. What I'm guessing I'd hear was Sullivan acting as though it is inconceivable that someone would disagree with him because he is the most enlightened person in his universe. Then, once the disagreement occurred, I'm guessing that name calling and berating ensued instead of rational conversation with presentation of facts to back his argument. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Regarding his writing BS about players, I think he's also the one who's said Lynch is somehow a cancer in the locker room, when by all accounts his teammates seem to love the guy.

sul·ly [ súllee ] (past and past participle sul·lied, present participle sul·ly·ing, 3rd person present singular sul·lies)

transitive verb

Definition:

1. spoil: to spoil or detract from something, especially somebody's reputation, that has previously been pure and honorable, or become spoiled or tarnished

a reputation sullied by scandal

2. make dirty: to make something dirty

Hmm, seems about right. ;)

Edited by transient