Jim Kelly on LA Live

CosmicBills

Jimbo is making the radio rounds today for Prostate Awareness. I was driving around LA and he came on LA Live with Mychal Thompson and Andrew Siciliano (of the Red Zone channel). I listen to LA Live a lot, and Andrew is always on about how LA is going to get an NFL team. He thinks that the Jags are the most likely UNLESS Ralph dies without a successor in place, in that case he feels that the Bills are a lock to come to LA.

Being an LA show, the Bills rarely get coverage here -- or when they do it's just "when are they moving to LA". So I was excited to hear Jimbo straighten Andrew out a bit about his plans to keep the Bills in Buffalo. The first question Andrew asked (after getting his input on the Reggie Bush Heisman situation) was about the move. Jimbo flat out said it's not going to happen as long as he is alive. Jim said he has a group in place, Ralph knows this, and they are not going to try to buy the team until Ralph gives them the green light or till he passes. Either way he said that it's his duty as a Western New Yorker to keep the Bills in Buffalo. And Ralph knows he is the man to do it.

Sure, it's all stuff we've heard from Jim before, but I had not heard that Ralph is on board with this plan. Jim certainly made it sound that way ... I take that as a very good sign.

It was also interesting to hear Jim's comments about the Bills current team because whenever he speaks out about them it's in the Western New York media (or on Mike & Mike / east coast stations). This is a local LA show, only heard by the LA market so I was curious to see if his positivity changed at all knowing there wouldn't be a ton of Bills' fans listening.

He wouldn't talk too much about them other than saying, "we don't have a very good team this year." Mychal tried to push him a bit on it, but all Kelly would say is "the fans are great. We haven't had a playoff team since '99 yet they live, breathe and love the Buffalo Bills. This year will really test that devotion".

Mychal also mentioned how Penn State wanted to recruit Jim as a linebacker, not QB, and whether Jim ever confronted Joe Pa later on in his career to rub it in. Jim said he always had respect for Joe because he was upfront with him about signing two all state QBs and wanting him to play LB. He did say that at a super bowl in miami one year Joe was there and just told him "I made a mistake".

It was a good interview all around.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mychal also mentioned how Penn State wanted to recruit Jim as a linebacker, not QB, and whether Jim ever confronted Joe Pa later on in his career to rub it in. Jim said he always had respect for Joe because he was upfront with him about signing two all state QBs and wanting him to play LB.

That Mychal person sounds like an ****. Confront Joe pa and rub it in?

Despite what people might think of him now, Joe Paterno is one of the undisputed greats in college ball.

Sounds like Joe Pa probably s**ts more class than Mychal possesses.

Despite what people might think of him now, Joe Paterno is one of the undisputed greats in college ball.

Mychal Thompson is a former Laker who was a classy player in his day. I'm sure his question was more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

The only problem is Jim's plan everytime I hear it is that if RW passes b4 he sells they will have to be high bid. I hope his friends have the deepest pockets in the country!! And RW has never publicly said he will sell b4 he dies. :wallbash:

I want to beleive him but that is the facts.

BTW nice post and thanks

Edited by bowery4

The only problem is Jim's plan everytime I hear it is that if RW passes b4 he sells they will have to be high bid. I hope his friends have the deepest pockets in the country!! And RW has never publicly said he will sell b4 he dies. :wallbash:

BTW nice post and thanks

If he has an agreement that upon his death the team would be sold to Kelly's group would it still go to the highest bid?

BTW nice post and thanks

Not necessarily true. If RW leaves his stock to a specific person (i.e. - his wife), then that person becomes the owner and they can sell the team to whomever they want and it does not necessarily have to go to the highest bidder. If he does not designate who inherits the stock then it is up to the executor of the estate to (most likely) liquidate the assets and they would be required to accept the highest bidder (i.e. -- Buffalo is toast). So it is actually very easy for Ralph to ensure the franchise's continued existence in Buffalo and why he has not done it (or announced it) is beyond me. However, Tgreg's report above gives me hope that this structure or something like it is in place already.

You do live up to your screen name, don't you? :nana:

It was a joke by Mychal. He wasn't being serious.

Just wanted to let everyone know jim kelly is about to go on espn radio on the doug gottlieb show (I think that's how you spell his name but I don't know) he will be on between 2-3pm pacific time 5-6pm for all of you in wny I'm pretty sure this show is national just a heads up for all of you :)

BTW nice post and thanks

That is not true and is a common misconception. Upon his death, unless Ralph specifies otherwise, the team would become part of the residual estate. A trustee would then control the team until its sale. A trustee is obligated under New York State law to work within the best interest of the estate. That may or may not mean selling to the highest bidder. For example, if the trustee, who would be someone close to Ralph or possibly his heir, were to say that it is within the interest of the estate and/and or Ralph's legacy to keep the team in Buffalo, then a sale to a locally owned group for slightly less than maximum value would be entirely legal under New York State law.

Edited by Nostradamus

That is not true and is a common misconception. Upon his death, unless Ralph specifies otherwise, the team would become part of the residual estate. A trustee would then control the team until its sale. A trustee is obligated under New York State law to work within the best interest of the estate. That may or may not mean selling to the highest bidder. For example, if the trustee, who would be someone close to Ralph or possibly his heir, were to say that it is within the interest of the estate and/and or Ralph's legacy to keep the team in Buffalo, then a sale to a locally owned group for slightly less than maximum value would be entirely legal under New York State law.

Thanks for sharing... I hope he just sets up the sale before he dies and that Jimbo's group will get it...

Thank you. Wasn't it Jerry Sullivan that started that rumor?

And here is another common misconception debunked:

[Kelly] also commented on how Wilson rejected numerous offers, over the past 50 years, that would have moved the team to a different city.

http://www.wgr550.com/Jim-Kelly-tells-KSPN-Bills-will-stay-in-Buffalo/8152735

Thank you. Wasn't it Jerry Sullivan that started that rumor?

And here is another common misconception debunked:

http://www.wgr550.com/Jim-Kelly-tells-KSPN-Bills-will-stay-in-Buffalo/8152735

I've definitely heard Schopp and Bulldog perpetuate that rumor routinely. It's much easier for them to state something they hear than to actually do any kind of research or fact-finding. IF Wilson is a willing audience, it is entirely possible for Jimbo and friends to have a plan in place upon Ralph's death.

Thanks for that link.......For those who didn't click on it, you can listen to the interview. It's good, but I noticed this when I listened to it and then read what GR said:

Kelly said he has a group of people together that would make a serious bid to buy the Bills and keep the team in Western New York, once owner Ralph Wilson Jr. is ready to have that talk.

So, he is not saying he has talked to Ralph, but will when Ralph is ready. Not sure what Ralph would be waiting for on that, but I do like the confidence in Jim's voice.