James Hardy getting a look in Seattle

mike oxhurtz

His failure will blow me away for a long time. I just don't get it. Is it work ethic? Attitude? I honestly don't know why this kid was a flop.

Well, he never had top-flight speed, nor was he a disciplined route runner. Combine that with a failure to get consistent separation and no quarterback to speak of, you have yourself a decent-sized flop.

His failure will blow me away for a long time. I just don't get it. Is it work ethic? Attitude? I honestly don't know why this kid was a flop.

I think he had a good work ethic and also the "want to" to become a great receiver, but he failed for the same reason many other athletes fail: instincts and confidence. Some are born with "it", but most don't have "it". Those who do not have "it" have to rely on their confidence. If a player cannot play the game, any game, with an arrogant kind of confidence, then he will NEVER succeed. I myself have wasted away hours upon hours in a basketball gym, practicing, trying to become a great player, but God just did not bless me with the mind to make the game easy. I have all the skills needed to play in the NBA (no joke), but not the mind that it takes to make it. If hard work and determination were the only caveats to play a professional sport, then many who previously failed would succeed. Simple summation: some are blessed, the rest aren't.

Pedestrian speed and not a great route runner but his biggest problem was injury- That said I wouldn't be surprised if he caught on somewhere and got a little notoriety as a goal-line package WR.

"pedestrian speed and not a great route runner...", and yet the Bills management deemed him worthy of a second round pick.

"pedestrian speed and not a great route runner...", and yet the Bills management deemed him worthy of a second round pick.

Yep, this is the year we were pegged as NEEDING a receiver with SIZE. Eleven receivers taken in RD#2 (none in RD#1) and the only real home-run picks were the smaller guys; DeSean Jackson, Eddie Royal, and Donnie Avery.

I think it is hard to be a succesful reveiver on ateam with no QB playing that can throw a football other than behind the line of scrimmage if no prevenmt package is against us. With TE, Randy Moss would look like Hardy.

While this is a fair point, Hardy was, I believe, 4th string WR this pre-season (when he wasn't in the training room). He was behind street free agents.

Side note related to scouting players: When Hardy was drafted one huge red flag I recall on his report was that he had no clue what a route tree was and had never be taught at Indiana some of the basics of the position. As a rookie, people observed he was helpless to get off a jam. He had some physical attributes on paper, but sometimes a team needs to draft football players, not physical specimens.

Doesn't surprise me the league loves big WR's like Hardy. Hardy is a seductive player his physical skills and college career lend you to believe that you might just be the team to turn this guy into a star. We were the first to bite and it cost us a 2nd round pick. Seattle or another team that gets a few injuries at the WR position will pick him up. It won't surprise me if Hardy gets stints with 2-3 more teams.

I think it is hard to be a succesful reveiver on ateam with no QB playing that can throw a football other than behind the line of scrimmage if no prevenmt package is against us. With TE, Randy Moss would look like Hardy.

Well TO certainly looked a lot better than Hardy. So your position is T.O.>Moss?