James Hardy getting a look in Seattle

mike oxhurtz

While this is a fair point, Hardy was, I believe, 4th string WR this pre-season (when he wasn't in the training room). He was behind street free agents.

Side note related to scouting players: When Hardy was drafted one huge red flag I recall on his report was that he had no clue what a route tree was and had never be taught at Indiana some of the basics of the position. As a rookie, people observed he was helpless to get off a jam. He had some physical attributes on paper, but sometimes a team needs to draft football players, not physical specimens.

Great post.

Modrak has a history of chosing high picks with one flashy physical quality, yet lacking in overall football makeup be it mental, or the entire athletic package.

I watch a guy like David Nelson and he is everything Hardy wasn't. He finds open space, makes cuts, shields defenders, gets the ball, doesn't make mental mistakes....now he isn't a burner and isn't overly physical, but it is amazing how this front office misses with so many top picks, but lunchpail guys with football IQ end up taking top roles.

Great post.

Modrak has a history of chosing high picks with one flashy physical quality, yet lacking in overall football makeup be it mental, or the entire athletic package.

I watch a guy like David Nelson and he is everything Hardy wasn't. He finds open space, makes cuts, shields defenders, gets the ball, doesn't make mental mistakes....now he isn't a burner and isn't overly physical, but it is amazing how this front office misses with so many top picks, but lunchpail guys with football IQ end up taking top roles.

For the eight billionth time, Modrak doesn't make the picks.

Just wondering, how different might things have been had we kept JP and run Lee Evans, James Hardy, and Roscoe Parrish in an aggressive offense with a focus on a vertical passing attack?

*With at least a marginally competent OC.

Yes...JP Losman is the one that got away... :rolleyes:

Isn't it just possible that JP and Trent Edwards just weren't/aren't very good?

Great post.

Spot on. Great post.

While this is a fair point, Hardy was, I believe, 4th string WR this pre-season (when he wasn't in the training room). He was behind street free agents.

Side note related to scouting players: When Hardy was drafted one huge red flag I recall on his report was that he had no clue what a route tree was and had never be taught at Indiana some of the basics of the position. As a rookie, people observed he was helpless to get off a jam. He had some physical attributes on paper, but sometimes a team needs to draft football players, not physical specimens.

This is also why 7th round pick Steve Johnson outplayed Hardy from the moment they arrived in Buffalo.

Johnson played (and learned) in Kentucky's pro style offense, while James hardy only had to run down the field and "be there".

Poor scouting, apparently. Or maybe the decision makers failed to listen to the scouts.

Great post.

Amen on everything

On another note, the WR position is so difficult to judge for scouts because you just don't know if they can make the transition to the pro's, most route tree's in college are so limited and a lot are not required to learn down field blocking for the run. Second most difficult position to learn besides QB IMO