WOW, Detroit gets SCREEEEWED, the refs are terrible.

Rayzer32

I have never seen a more incompetent call in my time as a fan of the NFL. The ref even watched the video replay and STILL had the balls to call this an incomplete catch. Amazing this stuff can happen nowadays. Nice job Goodell, keep up the good work with your moronic rule changes.

Incomplete???

Edited by Rayzer32

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that's incomplete. Rule clearly states you have to maintain control after you hit the ground. Johnson didn't - easy call.

It's clear that he dropped the ball to go celebrate; he had already landed on the ground w/ his entire body. Does the player need to take the ball back with him to the bench for it to be ruled a TD? Maybe he should maintain possession until he gets home and goes to bed.

This call is w/o a doubt the most ridiculous interpretation of the rule I've seen.

Edited by bobobonators

Yep, that's incomplete. Rule clearly states you have to maintain control after you hit the ground. Johnson didn't - easy call.

But if you have two feet in bounds a millisecond before you are out of bounds, that's a completion? Or if a player crosses the goal line and the ball immediately gets knocked out of his hands or he drops it, that's also a TD? These rules are completely idiotic. Just like putting the Ump behind the QB which has ALREADY been changed. The league gets weaker and weaker by the day.

I actually like the rule. I was so tired of all the guess work that was involved with "did he show control before it came loose when he hit the ground?" stuff. This way it's clear. You hold onto the ball the entire time - even if the ball touches the ground as you roll - and it's a catch. If it comes free it's incomplete. Cut and dry - that's the way I like my football rules, less room for interpretation from the refs.

The people complaining simply don't understand the rule. Here's the logic behind it.

We've all heard the expression "the ground can't cause a fumble." That's the rule when a player is already in possession of the ball. If he has possession, and falls to the ground, he is down, even if the ball comes out.

When a receiver, catches a pass and falls to the ground in the process, he is in the process of gaining possession. He doesn't have possession yet. So if the ball comes out during that process, it's an incomplete pass. The way the rule is written is much more consistent than something arbitrary such as two feet down.

Don't know if you read my main post, but I was questioning the moronic rule. Just sayin.

But you also said "I have never seen a more incompetent call in my time as a fan of the NFL. The ref even watched the video replay and STILL had the balls to call this an incomplete catch."

The call was, well, very competent. He would have had to "have balls" to call it complete.

I actually like the rule. I was so tired of all the guess work that was involved with "did he show control before it came loose when he hit the ground?" stuff. This way it's clear. You hold onto the ball the entire time - even if the ball touches the ground as you roll - and it's a catch. If it comes free it's incomplete. Cut and dry - that's the way I like my football rules, less room for interpretation from the refs.

It's just another rule that the officials will mis-interpret time and again. I'm sure another official may have ruled it the other way 100% of the time. Too many inconsistencies with the officials in this league.

But if you have two feet in bounds a millisecond before you are out of bounds, that's a completion? Or if a player crosses the goal line and the ball immediately gets knocked out of his hands or he drops it, that's also a TD? These rules are completely idiotic. Just like putting the Ump behind the QB which has ALREADY been changed. The league gets weaker and weaker by the day.

Have to have two feet inbounds , control of the ball including landing with it.