Paul Posluszny, from Conlan-esque to bust

I can't believe that a Penn State LB who was an unheralded as Paul Posluszny cannot stay on the field, and when he does, he is mediocre. This is especially painful for me to admit because I was very excited when we drafted him, and expected quite a lot from him since we hadn't had a talent like him at LB since Conlan and Bennett.

What are the thoughts of those here at TBD regarding Posluszny? Whether or not he is out for a significant period of time is inconsequential- for a career, to me he's been a bust.

Edited by BmoreBills

My thoughts are that the defense actually looked a lot better when Ellison was out there. The ILBs in a 3-4 need to cover those crossing routes, and Poz mostly gets eaten up by them. Maybe this should be a permanent change. He'd make a good backup. Or maybe Poz should be playing outside instead of Kelsay. Kelsay looked really awful at times today too. Completely lost.

Watching that one play, where he forearm shivered Williams to the turf to sack Henne, I thought he would have shattered.

But on the play where he was (once again) hurt, it was a nothing play.

Sad to say, but how much longer do we hold onto Poz given his Connolly-esque frailty?

My thoughts are that the defense actually looked a lot better when Ellison was out there. The ILBs in a 3-4 need to cover those crossing routes, and Poz mostly gets eaten up by them. Maybe this should be a permanent change. He'd make a good backup. Or maybe Poz should be playing outside instead of Kelsay. Kelsay looked really awful at times today too. Completely lost.

My thoughts exactly.

Wasn't Poz an all-star college player from the OUTSIDE position (I confess to watching no college football- something about the kicker wearing #'s like 85 and missing kicks)?

Kelsay, at this point, is a liability. Let him be a reserve DE behind Stroud, and move Poz outside.

Ellison did seem to be performing better.

Watching that one play, where he forearm shivered Williams to the turf to sack Henne, I thought he would have shattered.

But on the play where he was (once again) hurt, it was a nothing play.

Sad to say, but how much longer do we hold onto Poz given his Connolly-esque frailty?

My thoughts exactly.

Wasn't Poz an all-star college player from the OUTSIDE position (I confess to watching no college football- something about the kicker wearing #'s like 85 and missing kicks)?

Kelsay, at this point, is a liability. Let him be a reserve DE behind Stroud, and move Poz outside.

Ellison did seem to be performing better.

Poz palyed both inside and outside different years in college and was great wherever he played.

I have to agree, after he got hurt, and before I knew that he was out of the game, the 3rd quarter the defense go a whole lot better, I just so happens that is the same time he was not in the game, not sure if it was adjustments by the coaches, or maybe he does just make the defense worse, not sure as I said I didnt even realize he was out when i seen the defense start to step up big time.

I've been saying he's bad for years. He isn't "solid" as so many say. He does almost nothing ever. (I have to acknowledge he had a VERY nice play today...but he's had random nice plays before).

I've been anti-Poz since I first started watching him. Glad to see so many share my feeling now, which is basically that it doesn't matter that he's hurt since he does nothing. He can't get off blocks. You don't want him covering anyone. Ect.

Disagree with the gist of this post. First of all Conlan was hurt frequently during his six years with Buffalo. He had knee and achilles problems and he missed 16 full regular season games (not counting playoffs) while he was here. If you're insinuating that he was durable, I don't remember it that way.

I was surprised to see this post because my brothers and I were commenting on how Poz was very active and disruptive today. He even had a nice sack where he tossed Ricky Williams aside and dropped Henne for a big play. Conlan averaged 1 sack per year in his tenure as a Bill. I understand that LB's aren't judged by sacks, just pointing it out.

Im not a huge Poz fan, and it kills me to think we were one pick away from getting Patrick Willis in 2007 before the Niners grabbed him, but I think the guy played great today, and I havent seen the stats but he must've had 8 plus tackles before his injury. Like Conlan, his durability is an issue, but for a second round LB pick I think he's pretty good when healthy.

Shane was more of a crushing hitter and Poz is more of a wrap-up tackler though, and I do miss having that Conlan or Leonard Smith type killer on our defense.

Shane was voted NFL Defensive Rookie of the year in 1987 and I lived above his girlfriends apartment on Summer Street at the time and I got to congratulate him on it in the hallway. He was a nice guy, and the Bills were awesome then. Those were the days..... (Cue the All In The Family Theme Song...."Boy the way Glen Miller Plays.....")

Edited by Webster Guy