Boardwalk Empire...the next Sopranos

Beerball

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one other thing that i cannot believe i am gonna say out loud...but enough with the gratuitous nudity and sex....we get it..once again, a bit contrived and over the top....

6 episodes in to season 2 and it is much better than season 1....

Coudn't agree more. Just up to s1 ep6 so I hope this goes away. Sex then 5 min pillow talk, 2 min action/plot then sex followed by 5 min pillow talk over and over. Look I get the the idea these guys are getting laid. But can we just stick with the story?

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Preview for the season finale looks awesome!

I wonder if the dropped red carnation signifies that Nucky is going to lose somebody in the "war on the streets"...Margaret? Eli? It is the same symbolism that they used last season (no spoilers...seems like everyone is not caught up!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1QUpNkHag&feature=plcp

Edited by Buftex

Wow..thanks for the link...I feel like that guy read my notes!

I agree with everything he said... the first season, I have to admit, I was watching as much because the show just looked so great, but, more importantly for me (a huge Sopranos fan), Terrence Winter was the producer/creator. He, and Matthew Weiner (producer/creator of "Mad Men" my other all-time favorite) were David Chase's right hand men on the "Sopranos". What it lacked, that first season, though, for me (and as the Grantland writer points out) was any real compelling story. As the writer points out, perhaps the reason that Darmody's departure was so shocking, was because his story was the easiest to follow. There was so much poltical wrangling going on...at that time, it was hard to follow...but much of it is making sense now. I had a similar experience with "The Wire"...I watched them all over the course of about 4 months...I had a hard time following it, at first..I am not sure I would have kept watching, if I didn't have the rest of the episodes at my immediate diposal...but in the end, it was a very rewarding watch!

I was really having a hard time keeping everything straight, and there were so many damn characters...you never knew who was important, who not. But, I certainly liked it enough to keep watching. The acting is always stellar...big fan of both Michael Shannon (Van Alden), Kelly MacDonold (Margaret..loved her in "Choke") and of course, Buscemi, who is normally (not always) only involved with high caliber projects.

But, the second season was really great...and the third season even better. The only small issue I have with it (small because the show is so good, IMO) is the sort of half historical/half fictional tone of the show. Its' got me thinking that I need to do a little Capone research to see how involved he ever was in the fortunes of Atlantic City...but I guess it doesn't really matter that much. Can't wait for the finale...

Edited by Buftex

I made it to Ep 6 S 1 and after reading this thread decided to skip to S2. At S2 Ep 5 now. WAY better than S1. The endless sex pillow talk scenes from S1 are now mercifully brief and infrequent, lots more things happening.

The sheriff and the treasury agent are both insane. I am looking forward to see how that plays out.

I made it to Ep 6 S 1 and after reading this thread decided to skip to S2. At S2 Ep 5 now. WAY better than S1. The endless sex pillow talk scenes from S1 are now mercifully brief and infrequent, lots more things happening.

The sheriff and the treasury agent are both insane. I am looking forward to see how that plays out.

I actually want to go back and watch the first season again...a lot of seeds were planted then, I just didn't realize they were going to grow....enjoy season two...season three is even better!

btw- I am sure you are right, but I really don't remember a whole bunch of sex scenes from season one...other than Nucky's tramp apparent ease with going full frontal pretty often...

Edited by Buftex

:thumbsup: Agreed... now we gotta wait another year!

Bobby Canavale (sp?...the guy who plays Gyp) was a stand-up comic, believe it or not...really good actor...he was excellent on the last season of "Nurse Jackie" as well.

Gyp and lucky Luciano were also amazing. The good cop bad cop jail scene was also ridiculous good.

Season finale best tv episode in years. Actors playing Gyp and Richard harrow kill it. Some great gunplay scenes.

100% agree. One of the most entertaining hours of TV that I've seen in a longggg time. Harrow has gotta be one of the most interesting characters on the show as well. Dude is just the coolest.

worked my way up to S3 E7. Not really sure how much I like it. One thing I know for a fact is if I never hear a actress with a fake Irish accent again it will be to soon.

If only Skylar White spoke with a fake Irish accent.

BWAH-HAA-HAA!

If only Skylar White spoke with a fake Irish accent.

BWAH-HAA-HAA!

Yeah I really didn't like what they did with Margaret. I was kind of hoping they were building her and Owen up for a season ending betrayal. But then Owen got killed, and I was like WTF was the point of Margaret this season?

:thumbdown:

She's got her own place away from Nucky now. Maybe they'll write her out of the show

margaret was just another story of many.......she had her "new life" with owen to make her life complete, and shortly before that could happen he was killed.

love this show. great storytelling IMO.

Rothstein, Lansky, Capone, Luciano, Nucky all great charecters IMO.

So much so, 4 of those guys actually existed while the 5th was based on another guy. I'm a big fan of period stuff like this because it requires so much work on the details - whether I see it or not. "Rome" was like that - there were these actual people involved with some fictional folks that provided the "every man" view of what life may have been like at the time.

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

"Rome" was like that - there were these actual people involved with some fictional folks that provided the "every man" view of what life may have been like at the time.

Actually the "every man" characters in "Rome", Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, were real people.

Their personalities on the show are totally fictitious. But they are historical figures, mentioned by Caesar in his Memoirs. They were rivals for a promotion and both distinguished themselves in battle, with each saving the other at some point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Vorenus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titus_Pullo

worked my way up to S3 E7. Not really sure how much I like it. One thing I know for a fact is if I never hear a actress with a fake Irish accent again it will be to soon.

The woman who plays Maragaret (Kelly MacDonald) is Scottish, born and raised in Glasgow...are you saying her accent sounds fake? :rolleyes:

Edited by Buftex