Franchise Names

GR8PRKN

Link

I am sure we all know how the Bills are the Bills, but here ya go....

The Bills nickname was suggested as part of a fan contest in 1947 to rename Buffalo’s All-America Football Conference team, which was originally known as the Bisons.

Edited by GR8PRKN

Buffalo Bills

The Bills nickname was suggested as part of a fan contest in 1947 to rename Buffalo’s All-America Football Conference team, which was originally known as the Bisons. The Bills nickname referenced frontiersman Buffalo Bill Cody and was selected over Bullets, Nickels, and Blue Devils. It helped that the team was owned by the president of Frontier Oil, James Breuil. Buffalo was without a team from 1950 to 1959, when owner Ralph Wilson acquired a franchise in the AFL. Wilson solicited potential nicknames from fans for his new franchise and ultimately chose Bills in homage to the city’s defunct AAFC team

I always like the sound of the Buffalo Blue Devils. Because this team rips out a little piece of your soul after you watch them lose four straight super bowls.

But because the Buffalo Bills dont use "Buffalo Bill" as a mascot or in any logos, they are effectively the Buffalo Buffaloes.

I've posted on this board at least a few times that the logo should be a caricature of William Cody. Think about it -- our namesake (Buffalo Bill) was famous for hunting and killing our logo (the bison) -- and we wonder why the team defeats itself so often! :unsure:

From my book on the AAFC Buffalo Bills:

To generate more fan interest and to separate themselves from the minor-league baseball and hockey teams of the same name, the Buffalo Bisons changed their moniker. The team ran a contest for fans to come up with the new name. In fourth place was the Buffalo “Blue Devils.” Coming in third was the Buffalo “Nickels,” followed by Buffalo “Bullets” in second place. James F. Dyson, a merchant marine during World War II, submitted the winning entry of Buffalo “Bills.” According to author Dick Stedler, “Dyson depicted the team members as a posse of Buffalo Bills, harking back to the days of William F. (Buffalo Bill) Cody, legendary Pony Express rider and Indian scout. Cody symbolized the American frontier, and the new team was sponsored by Frontier Oil. Hence, the name ‘Bills’ marked the start of a new frontier in Western New York sports.” For his efforts, Dyson received $500.

[/shameless self promotion]

I've posted on this board at least a few times that the logo should be a caricature of William Cody. Think about it -- our namesake (Buffalo Bill) was famous for hunting and killing our logo (the bison) -- and we wonder why the team defeats itself so often! :unsure:

Yeah you were the first one to point that out to me to where it actually sunk in. It's amazing isn't it?

And as for our beloved Sabres, one of many ways in which their logo and name are unmarketable are because of the teams initials.

Buffalo Bills=BB

New York Yankees=NYY

Buffalo Sabres= BS

It's almost like every significant decision this community has made over the years, including the names of their sports teams is deeply flawed.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

But because the Buffalo Bills don't use "Buffalo Bill" as a mascot or in any logos, they are effectively the Buffalo Buffaloes.

They used to, when they first started in the AFL....

From the Pro Football Hall Of Fame 50th Anniversary exhibit last year....

post-9-014224300 1283809581_thumb.jpg

Yeah you were the first one to point that out to me to where it actually sunk in. It's amazing isn't it?

And as for our beloved Sabres, one of many ways in which their logo and name are unmarketable are because of the teams initials.

Buffalo Bills=BB

New York Yankees=NYY

Buffalo Sabres= BS

It's almost like every significant decision this community has made over the years, including the names of their sports teams is deeply flawed.

Ha, never really thought about that, but you're right -- can't put those initials on a cap or anything like that.

I always like the sound of the Buffalo Blue Devils. Because this team rips out a little piece of your soul after you watch them lose four straight super bowls.

You're killing me. I always thought that came second to not winning a single game against the fish in the 70's, even with the juice.

They used to, when they first started in the AFL....

From the Pro Football Hall Of Fame 50th Anniversary exhibit last year....

I have a better shot of that one, but the file is too big to post. If you look at the bottom of the cartoon, in the grass, you will see the artists name, Weil. It was done by my father, Kevin B. Weil. The one Jack took a shot of in the Hall of Fame is the original submission Dad did in late 1959. Once it was approved, he did the home covers from 1960 to 1963/64. He also did artwork inside the magazine, placing the players face shots onto cartoon bodies in various positions. Some of his artwork was used over some of the entrances to the Rockpile. He would get $35 per cover and as a kid I would watch him draw these, since we share the same name, my job was to find where he hid our name every week. He would hide it in the grass, the cleats, jacket fringe etc. For Fathers day this year I contacted the Hall of Fame, they wouldn't let me get the flag, nor could they let me reproduce it, but he did give me the JPEG of the original that they used to create the flag. That was the file I tried to attach, but its too big to load here.

That was the file I tried to attach, but its too big to load here.

I had to shrink mine down to let it take as an attachment, you could try doing that. Just save the shrink image as a copy so you don't lose the original.

Edited by Just Jack

I have a better shot of that one, but the file is too big to post. If you look at the bottom of the cartoon, in the grass, you will see the artists name, Weil. It was done by my father, Kevin B. Weil. The one Jack took a shot of in the Hall of Fame is the original submission Dad did in late 1959. Once it was approved, he did the home covers from 1960 to 1963/64. He also did artwork inside the magazine, placing the players face shots onto cartoon bodies in various positions. Some of his artwork was used over some of the entrances to the Rockpile. He would get $35 per cover and as a kid I would watch him draw these, since we share the same name, my job was to find where he hid our name every week. He would hide it in the grass, the cleats, jacket fringe etc. For Fathers day this year I contacted the Hall of Fame, they wouldn't let me get the flag, nor could they let me reproduce it, but he did give me the JPEG of the original that they used to create the flag. That was the file I tried to attach, but its too big to load here.

Make the image 1200 pixels on the long side and you'll be fine.

That is cool! :worthy:

Guffalo, are you aware of any other cartooning or illustration work of your father's? I'm always interested to learn more about cartoonists from the Buffalo area, and of course it's much cooler to have a Bills connection.