Interesting little tidbits on Lee Evans today

from Dolphins.com:

• With Bills WR Lee Evans catching four passes for 110 yards today, it snapped the Dolphins’ string of not having allowed an individual 100-yard receiver in 21 straight games. Prior to today, the last time an opponent totaled 100 receiving yards against the Dolphins was on October 19 of last year when New England’s Troy Brown had six catches for 131 yards and a TD in a Patriots 19-13 overtime win.

• With two touchdown catches today, Lee Evans became the first player to have two or more TD receptions in a game against the Dolphins since December 1, 2002 when Buffalo’s Peerless Price did it at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Nice job, Lee. You be good.

from Dolphins.com:

Nice job, Lee. You be good.

147611[/snapback]

Yup nice to see his speed on that what looked like overthrown ball. Now with him making plays etc see better numbers for Eric rest of way. Folks have to honor his speed and he has great hands. Good Job TD for a team with no number 1s ya got Willis, Lee and JP!!!

I love the fact that Evans is already showing some physical play as a rookie. His pushoff is already pro caliber and has gotten him several huge catches. While he's not great at it yet, he's also shown himself to be a willing blocker and will certainly get better. One of my favorite plays on the day was the effort he showed fighting through contact right before he made the one-handed snag to keep a drive alive. There's alot of pro receivers who can't finish that route or don't even try and Evans grinding like that as a rookie bodes really well for his future.

Cya

I love the fact that Evans is already showing some physical play as a rookie.  His pushoff is already pro caliber

147653[/snapback]

That, right there, says to me that even if Vincent is done for the season we got our money's worth out of him....remember the reports from Ceegar and Steve about seeing Vincent working Evans hard after practices to help Evans get his technique down?

That, right there, says to me that even if Vincent is done for the season we got our money's worth out of him....remember the reports from Ceegar and Steve about seeing Vincent working Evans hard after practices to help Evans get his technique down?

147658[/snapback]

Very, very good point. Not to mention that Kevin Thomas and Greer in today's paper were mentioning how important Vincent has been to them.

147658[/snapback]

That was a great story someone here posted (Mark VI?). That one and the Krumrie wrestling/hand-checking stories were by far my favorites from preseason....

You're right Dan, I had forgotten about that.

TVincent did one hell of a job because Evans has shown great technique in battling DB's when the ball is coming in. He keeps his hands low and doesn't get caught with his arms extended on the push-off, uses his feet to put himself in position to use his body to wall guys off and always seems to be able to play from a position of strength.

I admit I wasn't thrilled with the pick when the Bills made it, but ever since the first Jets game this kid has really started to open my eyes.

Cya

That was a great story someone here posted (Mark VI?).  That one and the Krumrie wrestling/hand-checking stories were by far my favorites from preseason....

147664[/snapback]

Yeah, sorry, I called Mark by his old nick...him posting about smoking one in celebration today threw me! ;)

Yup nice to see his speed on that what looked like overthrown ball. 

147617[/snapback]

I didn't read it at all that way, although I realize the TV coverage team suggested it. When they came back and showed the angle from the lower corner of the field the ball looked like it was thrown away from the DB while leaving Evans in stride. A Raider fan watching the game with me said "That's just a perfect pass". I concur.

He's good, but I've gotta think Butler was much better.

147793[/snapback]

I agree.

I really, really like Evans... but get back to me when he breaks the team single-game receiving records Butler set against the Jets during his rookie season. (10 catches-255 yards-4 TDs, two over 70 yards.) And Butler was hurt for part of that season. 'Dre was no slouch, either - Greg Bell led the team in catches in Reed's rookie year, but Reed was the top WR....

For the record:

Lee Evans, 2004 (12 games): 29 catches - 554 yds, 19.1 ypc, 5 TD, 1 100-yard game

Josh Reed, 2002: 37 catches - 509 yds, 13.8 ypc, 2 TD, 1 100-yard game

Peerless Price, 1999: 31 catches - 393 yds, 12.7 ypc, 3 TD, 1 100-yd game

Eric Moulds, 1996: 20 catches - 279 yds, 14.0 ypc, 2 TD

Andre Reed, 1985: 48 catches - 637 yds, 13.3 ypc, 4 TD, 1 100-yd game

Jerry Butler, 1979 (13 games): 48 catches - 834 yds, 17.4 ypc, 4 TD, 2 100-yd games

Of course, Evans still has four games left this season. It wouldn't break my heart to see him make a move on Butler's numbers...... ;)

I agree.

I really, really like Evans... but get back to me when he breaks the team single-game receiving records Butler set against the Jets during his rookie season. (10 catches-255 yards-4 TDs, two over 70 yards.) And Butler was hurt for part of that season. 'Dre was no slouch, either - Greg Bell led the team in catches in Reed's rookie year, but Reed was the top WR....

For the record:

Lee Evans, 2004 (12 games): 29 catches - 554 yds, 5 TD, 1 100-yard game

Josh Reed, 2002: 37 catches - 509 yds, 2 TD, 1 100-yard game

Peerless Price, 1999: 31 catches - 393 yds, 3 TD, 1 100-yd game

Eric Moulds, 1996: 20 catches - 279 yds, 2 TD

Andre Reed, 1985: 48 catches - 637 yds, 4 TD, 1 100-yd game

Jerry Butler, 1979 (13 games): 48 catches - 834 yds, 4 TD, 2 100-yd games

Of course, Evans still has four games left this season. It wouldn't break my heart to see him make a move on Butler's numbers...... ;)

147848[/snapback]

Not impossible. Five catches a game (conceivable the way he's playing) and he ends with 49, nipping Andre and Jerry. Seventy yards a game (a reach, but also conceivable, especially if he has a big 100+ one in there somewhere - Hello Cleveland and San Fran) and he's at 834, right with Jerry. I could live with that. B)

I agree.

For the record:

Lee Evans, 2004 (12 games): 29 catches - 554 yds, 5 TD, 1 100-yard game

Josh Reed, 2002: 37 catches - 509 yds, 2 TD, 1 100-yard game

Peerless Price, 1999: 31 catches - 393 yds, 3 TD, 1 100-yd game

Eric Moulds, 1996: 20 catches - 279 yds, 2 TD

Andre Reed, 1985: 48 catches - 637 yds, 4 TD, 1 100-yd game

Jerry Butler, 1979 (13 games): 48 catches - 834 yds, 4 TD, 2 100-yd games

147848[/snapback]

That Butler Jets game was the first game that I attended at the Ralph. What a great game!

anyone know the stats for YPC?

147936[/snapback]

Ask and ye shall receive. Check my post earlier in this thread; I just added them.

For future reference: take the yardage and divide by the number of catches. That way, *I* won't have to. ;)

I agree.

For the record:

Lee Evans, 2004 (12 games): 29 catches - 554 yds, 19.1 ypc, 5 TD, 1 100-yard game

Josh Reed, 2002: 37 catches - 509 yds, 13.8 ypc, 2 TD, 1 100-yard game

Peerless Price, 1999: 31 catches - 393 yds, 12.7 ypc, 3 TD, 1 100-yd game

Eric Moulds, 1996: 20 catches - 279 yds, 14.0 ypc, 2 TD

Andre Reed, 1985: 48 catches - 637 yds, 13.3 ypc, 4 TD, 1 100-yd game

Jerry Butler, 1979 (13 games): 48 catches - 834 yds, 17.4 ypc, 4 TD, 2 100-yd games

147848[/snapback]

Throw my vote into the Jerry Butler column, as well.