NYTimes NFL Preview (Gailey comment)

slyng1

Here is a quote from their article "New Trends, New Season"

Buffalo coach Chan Gailey has a playbook like the Brookstone catalog: filled with shiny but useless gadgets. Gailey's Bills may not win often this season, but they will lose with personality.

They haven't looked shiny and uselss to me this preseason but then again, I only got to see 2 of the 4 games. Oh well, keep the Haterade flowing and they'll never see us coming.

They haven't looked shiny and uselss to me this preseason but then again, I only got to see 2 of the 4 games. Oh well, keep the Haterade flowing and they'll never see us coming.

Agreeing. I find useful stuff in the Brookstone catalog too ;) ;)

I gotta go calibrate my opinion on this article by seeing what they say about the Jests.

Hey, they brought in Jason Taylor, they're going to the SHOW! :P Worked for Washington, right?

Gadgets? I have not seen anything but vanilla plays so far, and I have watched all 4 games. Either the Times has access to the actual playbook (yeah right) or the author didn't watch any of the games so far and needed to say something negative about the only true New York State team left to appease their NYC rat readers.

wow - the NY Times sports coverage sucks too. It should also read like this.

"The NY Jets team is a lot like head coach Rex Ryan's bowel movements - massive, greasy, impressive on paper and has everyone talking, but most importantly, they stink".

Edited by ACor58

The NY Times preview of the upcoming season hews to conventional wisdom that the Bills will stumble into last place in the AFC East: "With the rest of the division in the playoff mix, it is going to be a long, cold winter in Buffalo."

However, while poking around the Times' website, I came across the following comments from a Jan. 19 story that quotes non-other than the Buffalo News' own Jerry Sullivan: "Really? Chan Gailey. It’s an uninspiring pick, and if my math is correct, about their eighth choice. But after seeing the Bills snubbed by football coaches from sea to shining sea, it’s a relief to know the search might finally come to an end, before the organization can embarrass itself further."

I didn't provide a link to the Sullivan column because it's no longer an active link.

I really hope the Bills do well this season -- I want to sees the "experts" try to explain that.

It cracks me up how writers, reporters, and the like who have no clue about the Bills whatsoever are jumping on the doom-train...Don't get me wrong...They may turn out to be right...But it's not going to be due to any actual knowledge about the Team... B-)

Gadgets? I have not seen anything but vanilla plays so far, and I have watched all 4 games. Either the Times has access to the actual playbook (yeah right) or the author didn't watch any of the games so far and needed to say something negative about the only true New York State team left to appease their NYC rat readers.

This is what I thought when I read this as well. What gadget plays???

I really hope the Bills do well this season -- I want to sees the "experts" try to explain that.

They will spin it in such a way as to make themselves look smart. NOBODY admits mistakes any more in this day and age. It's better to stop hoping for people to start and start ignoring what some people say.

They will spin it in such a way as to make themselves look smart. NOBODY admits mistakes any more in this day and age. It's better to stop hoping for people to start and start ignoring what some people say.

If we win 3-4 before the bye they'll say we got lucky. When we make the playoffs they'll say we got really lucky.

PTR

I'm convinced more than ever that ANY schmuck can call themselves a journalist. It's truly amazing the crap that passes as journalism. What the hell is this guy talking about regarding gadgets? Amazing.

That was my point. I want to hear the explanations, because those of us who have been paying attention will know it's pure BS. Is it immature, sure. But I srill would love to hear these so-called experts twist their logic into pretzel shapes trying to explain the situation.

I don't know what games you guys have been watching, but for it only being the preseason, the Bills offense has looked tremendously improved from even last years squad.

Have you all forgotten the inability to sustain drives? Score? Our over reliance on field goals? Last preseason was a gimmick w/the no huddle, if you ask me. Then you scrap the offensive coordinator the week before, put in an unproven, inexperienced guy in Van Pelt, cut your starting LT, and then scrap the no huddle before the midway point of the season.

It's only the preseason. This means that what we have seen thus far is basic stuff. Now, the opposing teams have been basic for the most part too, but the stupidity seems to have left the Bills.

The offensive line is not false starting. No continuous holding calls. They look crisp coming off the line. Sure, Spiller helps. His speed will make the O-line's job easier. But they look better. Trent looks more authoritative. More in control. He is not staring down his primary receivers. They are moving the chains. Sustaining drives.

And SCORING.

Does anyone remember last season?

Maybe they consider throwing a pass to Roscoe Parrish a gadget play? :rolleyes: